Why All Men Should Wear Briefs

The 90s were a strange time. Grunge and glam went head to head, and for the most part grunge won. This meant way more loose fitting clothing, plaid everywhere, holes in pants that would have earlier gotten them thrown away. All this also lead to the rise of your grandfather's underwear to prominence once again... the boxer short. This garment that provides no support and offered little in the way of style (aside from the previously mentioned plaid and the ubiquitous Christmas patterns) became the norm.

Why All Men Should Wear Briefs

Boxers rode up and bunched up, which lead to millions of men adjusting themselves in public. Men chose to wear boxers because it was the "in thing" even though they were inferior. We convinced ourselves that "we liked the room" and "the other guys will make fun of me for wearing briefs." Men who wear boxers are increase your risk of physical injury to your genitals, and boxers are also linked to hernia issues. Boxers also do little to camouflage when their contents become excited... which made middle school all that more awkward for a lot of boys.

As the 90's gave way to the 2000's, and grunge fashion slowly fell by the wayside, men discovered in increasing numbers that the boxer short was not the best choice, but they still remember being taunted in the changing room for their tighty whiteys in middle school. Now grown men, they were still insecure about what other men thought of their underwear so they still refused to wear briefs. Enter the boxer brief. Better support, form fitting, and less likely to ride up.

Why All Men Should Wear Briefs

Now I'll admit, even I owned a few pairs of these, but they still ride up, and can be tight on the thighs. They solve some of the problems of boxers, but are only a half solution, designed to let men still try to be "cool" in the locker room, while sacrificing comfort.

Now I'm not advocating for tighty whiteys to make a comeback. They two have their drawbacks. Briefs have come a long way since that fateful day of bullying back in middle school phy-ed. Those old briefs did little to flatter, and were poorly designed in general.

Why All Men Should Wear Briefs

The briefs I'm advocating for all men to have in their underwear drawers are designed to fit your anatomy. They are pouch briefs- which feature the support you need, while still giving you the room you also need.

Why All Men Should Wear Briefs

Briefs accomplish what underwear should. It provides support, keeps everything from moving around, and have no extra fabric to bunch up or ride up. They are really good for men with an active lifestyle- men who play sports, work out, or work on their feet all day. For those of you worried about sperm counts- that is an old wives tale. According to Dr. Philip Werthman, director of the Center for Male Reproductive Medicine “Studies have been done to analyze temperatures of men who wear boxers versus briefs, and it makes absolutely no difference in fertility.”

So what are you waiting for- go buy a few pairs- try them out. I'm confident you'll agree that briefs are the superior male underwear.

1134
matchrestore is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah I agree. I been wearing pouch style briefs for a couple years. They're way more confortable. They give me enough room that I'm not all stuck against my leg or smashed between my legs. Most brands available here are designed with a fuller pouch. But we also buy a lot of stuff from the states, and there I found the pouch to be too tight and confining. Then I heard about Andrew Christian and Trophy Boy, by Andrew Christian. They are awesome. They conform to a dude's anatomy. Like wearin nothin yo... But they still provide support for my entire package.

Most Helpful Girl

• men should wear briefs so that their testicles do not fall into the toilet in middle age. much like bras for women.

• what if its too late lol

• I. wear em sometimes

• Bras don't actually prevent breasts from sagging.

Breasts sag later in life because breast tissue, and all bodily tissue, is made of collagen and elastin. These are proteins which naturally break down as you age. Everything sags when people get older, not just breasts.

Menopause is also a factor. During menopause, denser tissue is replaced by fat, and fat is just naturally more likely to droop. It doesn't hold it's structure well.

Bras can hold breasts in place so that they have the shape you want when you're wearing it, but as soon as it comes off, the breasts will just go right back to where they would be if you had never worn it.

If anything, bras cause the breasts to sag more. Jean-Denis Rouillon, a French sports scientist, found that bras weaken the breasts' supporting tissue. When muscles aren't used, they atrophy. The same can be said for the supporting tissue of the breasts.

The exception would be supportive sports bras. Exercises that cause the breasts to bounce up and down can cause the connective tissue to break down over time. A good sports bra prevents that movement from happening, and thus can prevent breasts from sagging. But regular bras, or bras worn for anything other than exercise haven't been shown to do that, and may actually have the opposite effect.

That being said, for some women, not wearing a bra is uncomfortable. I'm not against bras. I don't think there's a one size fits all approach for all women. Many women are more comfortable without bras.

This wasn't meant to be an essay in response to a small point in your comment. I just think it's an interesting topic, and accidentally wrote a little more than I intended. I didn't want to just make the statement without explaining it, and there was a lot of elaboration.

Join the discussion

1033
  • i've never seen a boy wear any type of underwear other than the boxer brief. i've seen a lot of boys.

• I can't wear briefs. I used to when I was a kid, but as I grew up, it started to get tighter and tighter to the point of being extremely uncomfortable, so I changed.
    Now I wear trunks or boxer briefs, and they're perfect for me.
    Boxers would be too lose and the thing would be flapping all the time. Briefs would be too tight. An in-between is perfect.

• Newer styles of briefs solve the space problem- they're designed with a pouch instead of a flat front, leaving room for everything while still providing the necessary support.

• Totally agree. I don't know why Americans don't wear briefs as much. It makes no sense to me.

Since I moved here I've been like "?" Why?

Briefs are way better, and even save you from awkward situations like a boner while you are wearing sweatpants.

• You can wear briefs under the boxers.
    You will get your comfort from the briefs and avoid getting made fun of in the locker room since no one will know that you got them under the boxers.

• I'm a guy so I don't give a shit about fashion, only practicality.

I found that walking short distances (like 10 miles) with gay-ass briefs results in painful chafing burns. Therefore, NOPE.

Boxers crawl up and choke your balls, so NOPE.

If your boxer briefs ride up, you're using the wrong ones.

• I usually just go commando. But I have a few pair of pouch trunks and boxer briefs. If you are going to wear them the pouch is kinda a necessity. Otherwise it’s just to cramped. I’ve never found a brief that is actually comfortable, they are either too tight, or cause chafing.

Also, one guy says they don’t effect fertility, 100 other studies say it does. I wonder which one I’m going to believe. 🤔

• My boyfriend is very active and wears boxer briefs for that very reason. His thighs rub together and cause friction burns, something that wearing briefs would only emphasise. He feels incredibly uncomfortable in briefs but boxer briefs give him the room he needs and are more form fitting. They also create a barrier between his thighs to limit chafing.

• a guy i like told me he sleeps in long johns is that ridiculous?

• My husband needs the fabric between his legs to prevent chafing. He wears boxer-briefs.

I think guys should wear whatever they like.

I wear whatever I like.

• Not bragging, AT ALL, but guy's 'stuff' like ample breasts, need support and containment, or bad things happen!!
    I have NEVER liked boxers and 'free-balling' it!! I have enough that it is just uncomfortable and sometimes sitting, without positioning, can be quite uncomfortable!!
    When the weather is warm, you sweat. It is natural. Ladies, those of you that are rather 'gifted' probably can understand! Sweating leads to sticky feelings and without the proper support, or containment, things can easily go awry, quickly!
    Besides, when I am 80, I don't want 'Grandpa Balls' at my knees!! :) :)
    A comfortable cotton brief, maybe a high-cut type. No thongs!!

• I wear briefs ever since and I didn't know about that. I thought boxers feel uncomfortable as if I'm wearing nothing. I feel lucky mine are perfectly formed rice balls.

• It does make some pressure when it comes to my testics...
    And it really does climb up the crotch altho it's supposed to stay down...
    I own a few of those and own a lot of other boxers, but I can tell you that it isn't as comfortable but it does keep your gear in the suitcase.

• Altho changing transmissions from D to B while in those is kind of problematic since it really has not enough space for a second transmission...

• My girlfriend likes the way my package looks in my briefs

I wouldn't call them superior though... everyone has their preferences

• 7d

I think guys should stick to the sexier type like in the last pic.

• I always wear briefs. I prefer them over boxers anyday. I even prefer them over boxer briefs.

• 1d

I wear womens panties by because my wife likes it. I been marred for 24 years. If she likes it and I like it case done and closed

• I want silk boxers to come back. They are so hard to find now. Back in the 90's they were everywhere.

• I dont wear briefs because my balls hang so low if i put on briefs it looks like i am carrying a fanny back inside my underwear.

• Not sure about this as i haven't worn or owed any underwear since the age of ten

• I recently went from boxers to boxer briefs. I like the tight feeling. I will never wear regular old briefs. They need to die off like crocs.

• Tight underwear is proven to decrease testosterone production and sperm production.

• boxers tend to bunch up on one side of my nutsack, but briefs then to fall down inside my pants.

• I haven't worn pants for years instead I just wear running shorts both under my trousers and on their own in the summer.

• Meh I would rather wear boxers. They are so much more comfortable.

• Aw hell no! Those things are uncomfortable. I like it looser.

• briefs feel like shit. boxers feel great. boxers all the way..

• Nice Take bud. Boxer Briefs are comfortable for the boys.

• Well I always wore boxers not because it was fashionable, it's just because I like them more

• But briefs are gay.

• OK then.

• I wear briefs

• I prefer briefs. Boxers are way less comfortable.

• Good take. ..

• Did you just create a whole mytake about briefs?

• Yeah i wear briefs anyways

• Briefs are fucking ugly. Case closed.

• 6d

Commando for life

• 7d

I wear boxers because briefs chaff me.

• Absolutely not. Boxers for me.

• I will never wear briefs.

• I am sticking with boxer-briefs

• I think it’s sexy on a man

• Okay