Wedding Dresses - that aren't! Efficiently economical way of getting a dress you will be happy with!

Yes, it is widely known that any dress labeled a wedding dress is going to have an astronomical price!

That being said - who said you need to let labels control your life?!

As I see it there are 2 ways of getting a great dress for a fraction of the price:

1. Getting a formal, white dress that isn't labeled a 'wedding dress'.

Yeah...it can be as easy as that. I've seen numerous wedding dresses that aren't even in the same league as their non labeled as such white gowns - the gowns have better stitching, better beading, better quality material...and yet they're cheaper than their worse quality counterpart that carries that famous label of a formal wedding dress.

It's insanity, but that's the way the fashion industry works.

Whatever you do, don't get a wedding dress that doesn't fit you well - try it on, mull it over, sit down, squat, be as comfortable as you possibly can be in it. If comfort isn't your main worry, but you're looking for aesthetic first - the fit is still essential, because if the dress doesn't fit you well, if it's a size too small or a size too big - it will look off, and you don't want to compromise on that. In the more desperate cases you can get a bigger size and get it taken in, but it won't look as good as if you'd have bought your right size...that has to be accentuated here.

Go into a good quality store, check out their formal wear section and you just might find that wedding dress that'll be within your budget, but also make your heart flutter when you see it!

2. Buying the material yourself and having it sown for you.

Now this option may be the best option for you if you're the type of a person who has a vision, who knows what they like, who values quality materials and is smart enough to procure them for yourself and then find a well established tailor who will give you exactly what you're asking for - at a reasonable price.

Be specific when giving the tailor details of what you're after - have photos and sketches of what you want your dress to look like. Don't rely on words alone because that's a sure fire way of getting the exact opposite of what you're asking for. How come? What you say may materialize in the head of the tailor in another way - and you can't take that risk.

Be organized, detail-oriented and clear in your wishes and the tailor will do all they can to accommodate your wishes.

You are welcomed to be friendly with the tailor, but at the end of they day they're providing you with a service, so don't be afraid to speak up if there's something amiss in the process, if the stitching isn't the way you wanted it, if the dress seems too low cut, too tight, too loose... Speak up on time and you won't have problems later on in the sowing process!

If you're more of a spur of the moment, not that bothered type - then the 1st option is for you!

If you're more of a planner, detail oriented and organized, the 2nd option is made for you!

Good luck wedding-dress hunting!

56
LittleSally is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• Having a wedding dress custom-made won't be cheap. My wife bought her dress for $10 at a Goodwill store a few months after she met me. It was a really nice dress from Priscilla of Boston. She saw it, liked the style, tried it on, it fit like a glove, so she bought it. Years later we were moving and she modeled it for me. She did get to wear it, along with a $2 pair of satin wedding shoes she found at another thrift store.

She was really lucky, but there are resale stores that specialize in wedding dresses.

Most Helpful Girl

• Here's my first wedding dress 😆
    My neighbour pulled down her old lace curtains and made this up for me within minutes.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 5

• I bought one second hand for the Halloween
    It was stunning
    After using it I gave it for professional washing
    Afterward I resold it to a woman who married in this dress

• I thought wedding dresses were supposed to be high quality. Mind blown.

• come in your birthday suit and save lots of money lol

• thank you

• ok any girls ever make there own

What Girls Said 4

• I bought my dress for a discount because it was last year's fashion. It was 1000, and i got it for 360$

• Goodtake. Some great ideas.

• Good

• Very nice