Algerian Haïk: Inevitably Sexy, and Proving that Vogue's Theories Are Total BS

A woman has no need to show skin to express her feminism, her worth is above that.

1. What is the Algerian Haïk, and why isn't it as popular as the other traditional dresses?

It is a traditional white veil that appeared in the 19th century. Urban women in Algiers first started to wear it in the capital and with time, the Haïk spread somehow like a trend to follow in all areas of the country. Haïk became sensitive to several mutations that occurred in society, so it started to fade thrugh generations. Finally, it got replaced little by little by the hijab since the Algerian community is muslim.

2. Why is it considered inevitably sexy on women?

This type of veil is associated with feminine beauty, and decent woman used to wear it. A covered woman from head to toe yet you still get to see her beautiful eyes, and this particular aspect brought nothing but inspration to our male chaabi poets and singers, many of them dedicated a lot of works and songs to those women.

My experience with "Haïk":

By curiosity, I wanted to explore this weird feeling of going out in the streets, fully covered, with a white veil and trying to convince my self for the 1st time that Sarah, this is not your funeral, this is just a try on, don't freak out. lol

So I did it. It felt weird trying it on, it was insanely beautiful. I felt feminine and beautiful and sexy. I felt like a diamond that nobody gets to see under that white veil. It was hard to put on, since you have to to roll it up then hold it at the waist by a belt and then brought back to the shoulders to be fixed. This taught me a beautiful lesson and it was a pleasure to share it with you guys . :) thank you <3

823

Most Helpful Guy

• I agree with what you are trying to convey through this myTake and to be very frank and honest, I don't think that veil or covering is a sign of oppression as many people think. If an independent woman, wishes to cloth herself in an Algerian Haïk, what is the problem with that? Why does Vogue equate beauty with baring. Women as well as men need to be dressed modestly. A confident women doesn't need to make a skin show or flaunt herself off in skimpy clothes to assert her confidence and feminine beauty before the world. And if she chose to show her bare beauty to "the one her soul loves" (Song of Songs 3:4), that confidence is breaking all of Vogue's modern beauty concepts.
    Many user down here are concerned more with Human Rights etc. in the country. However, this a take on fashion and beauty and not on politics.
    This again shows why 'Vogue' has 'Vague' concepts in defining beauty. Those ardent followers of Vogue's topless photo shoots, who have grown up seeing them, will bring up politics here also unnecessarily.
    The end point is this: If a women likes to cover up, it's okay. If she doesn't, then there's no offence. All that matters is modesty. Whatever men or women would like to wear, is modest, then no-one is offended.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• Covered beauty is so much more beautiful. The best thing about it is that it is hidden from people whom you wouldn't really want to show it, and you only show it to the one who truly deserves all of you. ❤

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Yes ! and not every body can tolerate that. Thank you for your undrestanding <3

• no problem are you in chittagong?

• l love it all dress the way you wish to nothing to do with any one l am on your side all my love from scotland x

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 22

• It's so unfair, muslim men can ogle ouir white women, but we can't ogle their brown women, either you should start dressing like normal women or it should be illegal for a muslim man to leave the house without a blindfold, why should they be allowed to look at our women if we can't look at their women?

• Really beautiful well written take Sarah! Good job!

• "trying to convince my self for the 1st time that Sarah this is not your funeral"
    hehe
    Nice My Take , i am glad to know this , it is really beautiful thing to wear , i am sure you looked beautiful too wearing it :)

• These poor girls can’t even enjoy the day at the beach because OMG someone is looking at her lol.. they have to literally drench themselves fully clothed in the water... nah
    I don’t take life that seriously bro, relax... enjoy the breeze and let the air touch you... be one with nature —> this is sooo far from nature... it’s control

I don’t mind those outfits but only if those outfits is not a crutch for her... if she literally gets anxiety to wear other stuff
    Then it’s a problem, clearly

• Where have I seen this before... media.alienwarearena.com/.../...745c461571b35e.jpg

Maybe in your culture... we need visible skin and faces over here sweetie. "Liberated' women hamster wheeling their way back into subjugation lol Isn't feminism great?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Algeria
    Keep that crap over there pls.

• This mytake concerns open minded people, i would gladly ask you to take your 44 years old stinky immature ass to your seat, oh and enjoy your manga series to little boy.

• @dmbarrad let the ignorant do his thing lol he doesn't know that we have female ministers in Algeria, Mounia Meslem, Minister of National Solidarity, Family and the Status of Women, and Aïcha Tagabou. The latter remains Minister Delegate,
      peace xD

• And the most important field which is education has it minister who is also a woman called Nouria benghebrit.

• Certainly, if it's just a dress worn for beauty out of free will that's fine, and beautiful it is, but if it's forced upon you because of religion then it's oppressive which is the issue with hijab in most places.

• Totally not sexy. Totally unsexy. Oh, boy! Dress up like NUNS, except all white and even MORE covered up! Yeah, right. It's ANTI-SEXY.

• Yes, the women don't need to show their skin, they looks more attractive when covered.

• Bunch of brainwashed ugly girls standing around like they're waiting for Halloween.

• this is the cutest hate comment ever.

• Not hate, just disdain for a culture that wants to force me to love everything about it.

• Thank you.

• Interesting

• Frankly not my thing.

• Very nice take and thoughts.

• i love it

• l bet they are all wearing sexy underwear lol

• Islam is the religion of satan.

• PC culture at its wackiest.

• Yeah this fashion is not for me.

• Where is that sexy? It looks like walking sheets.

• I guess it takes several type of people to make a world ;)

• @CubsterShura, if you don't like it, then fine, but stop being whiny. Cultures don't have to go by your standards and nobody cares if YOU find it "sexy".

• @HereIbe That was lame. A culture is totally up to the people in there and none of us have the right to insult them. The least we can do is to not disrespect their values.

• I think you're missing the point of the word "sexy." Nothing sexy about that at all.

• you are what you decide to be. there is people who reflect something that they are not, and i' haven't met yet a woman who was forced to put this on, actually, they said it made them feel beautiful and decent.

• More from Guys
    2

What Girls Said 7

• i like it more than dark colours

• Covering is great, what gets me though is the ones who do everything else yet wear a veil. Such as make up, showing leg and high heels. That's not modest.

• Just to be clear the women in the picture are showing their ankle , their hair and parts of their face to be seen as attractive.

• Women shouldn't have to cover themselves like this to feel sexy

• Interesting

• Great take

• Oww nice take