11 Mistakes We’re All Making In Our Winter Skin Care Routine

Joeshamo

Wishing you all Happy Winters! The cold weather is indeed the best season of all four but do your skin like winters too? Well, the odds are not in favor! You may follow a skincare routine religiously. But when the temperature changes, it’s best to change your skincare routine as well.

If you are breaking out and having skin problems in winters, that’s maybe because you are doing your skincare wrong. Let us tell you how you can get perfect skin this winter.

Here we listed 11 common mistakes most of you are making during winter season:

Make sure to avoid these to get glowy & healthy skin this winter!

#1: Skipping the sunscreen

One of the biggest mistakes you can make in winter is taking your sunscreen for granted. Don’t forget, the sun may not look that irritating during summer afternoons. But it is as harmful as it is in summers. By not using sunscreen, you are exposing your skin directly to harmful UV rays. The exposure can cause hurtful redness, tanning, and make your skin aging process fast.

So, if you want to look youthful and healthy, don’t leave your house without wearing sunscreen. You will thank me later!

We all love the squeaky clean feeling the foam cleanser leaves on our skin. What we don’t know is how much harm it is doing to our skin. Foam cleansers are harsh in nature as they wash out your skin’s natural oils. And your skin cannot afford to look healthy and moisturized without its natural oils. So, trade your harsh foam cleansers with some gentle cleansers on the market. You would be doing a favor to your skin in this cold weather.

#3: Hot water showers

Taking a hot steamy shower in cold mornings is everything one could ask for. It relaxes your muscles, releases the tension, and you feel all cozy and warm. But this temporary cozy feeling will then kill your skin's moisture. The discomfort is unexplainable. Your skin will become superly dehydrated & irritably itchy. So, it’s recommended to avoid hot showers in winter, you can use lukewarm water as an alternative. It's good for your skin!

#4: Over or under exfoliating

There is this myth that exfoliating your skin in winter hurts your skin. Well, that’s not true at all. You have to use a gentle exfoliator especially made for the winter season.

Not exfoliating your skin will clog your pores resulting in zits & acne. You wouldn’t want that, right? The other mistake you can make is over-exfoliating your skin. No, your skin’s flakiness won’t go away by running against the exfoliator. Act smart, and use moisturizer instead.

#5: Licking Your Lips

Cold and dry weather of winter comes with the complimentary gift, chapped & flaky lips. That is the moment of truth. Trust me, your saliva is not a good moisturizer. So, if you do not have a lip balm in your hand, don’t go for licking your lips. The saliva will make your lips drier than before. Keep your lip balm with you, always!

#6: Use of Light Serums

As the air becomes cold & dry it’s smart to switch your light serum with some heavy moisturizer. Light serums work best in summer when there is natural humidity in the air. But when it comes to winter, you are going to need a more powerful serum to tackle super dryness. So, save your skin from evil cold winds by the barrier of a more powerful moisturizer.

#7: Not Using Face Masks

Skipping your face masks in winter is not a good idea. We get that it’s freezing and face masks are cold. But look at the bright side, facemasks are cold so they make your pores small and give your skin a radiant look along with providing their primary benefits. Isn’t it amazing? Now is the time to give your skin extra nourishment by choosing masks with extra hydrating properties. You can try DIY masks as well.

#8: Not Using Moisturizer on Oily skin

Another misconception is that oily skin doesn’t need moisturizer. That is not true at all. All skin types need moisturizer, especially in the winter season. Our skin works in a way that if it doesn’t get enough moisture, it creates natural oils by itself to kill dryness. People with acne-prone skin, can’t afford to have oil on their face for much longer. So, always use moisturizers to keep your skin acne-free & healthy.

#9: Using Same Scrub

Using the same scrubs through all four seasons is the worst thing you can do to your skin. It’s important to know that you need to change your scrub in winter. During winters, the skin becomes more sensitive & dry. So you need something gentle and hydrating to scrub your skin. Pro tip: Always use different scrubs for your hands, feet, and face.

#10: Ignoring Pigmentation

Due to dryness in winter, you can easily get pigmentation on your skin. Or maybe these brown spots are other than just spots and pigmentation. Don’t ignore them. When your skin starts to show these dark patches, get them checked by your skin doctor right away. Be careful with your skin, always!

#11: Continue Following Summer Skincare Routine

Winter makes you change your wardrobe, so does your skincare routine. Water-based moisturizers, serums, and creams might work best for your skin in summers. It doesn’t mean that they are going to work the same in the winter season. So, change your skincare routine as the weather changes. Trade your creams with the ones with high moisturization. You will see the results yourself!

Wrapping Up!

Your skin needs your special care during winters. So, set your skincare routine aligned with the cold weather. These were some obvious and simple steps that you should avoid. Your skin will be safe, beautiful, healthy, youthful, and moisturized. After all, we all deserve to be beautiful, right?

3
9
3Girl Opinion
9Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guy

• OlderAndWiser
    1. I don't have much of a skincare routine. My skin has been slightly oily for most of my life, so I don't have a problem with dryness or itching.

2. I understand the point that you are making about hot showers, but the benefits to my sore old bones outweighs the problems it may cause my skin. I simply use a liquid bath soap that has a little bit of oil in it (such as coconut oil) and that is my all-year routine.

3. I do pay attention to wearing sunglasses whenever I am in the sun, including winter. UV light accelerates the growth of cataracts and UV rays can be very strong in the winter.
    Like 3 People
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• doopayo
    Yep. I still use sunscreen even during winter, the suns rays still effect the barrier of the skin when it’s cold which can lead to premature aging
    Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

28
  • 007kingifrit
    this is useful. i have no idea how to take care of my skin. I don't know what different kinds of lotion I should use or why. I don't know what exfoliate means or if it has an opposite thing you're also supposed to do
    Like 1 Person
  • notwoke
    Since I'm not a chick I don't have a "skincare routine". What's this world coming to?
    Like 1 Person
    • Joeshamo

Hey, how's it going, man. I've got the same question for you like I did for the other guy. I'll copy & paste it.

"I've never been the jealous type but I've run into jealous guys like you in high school that were pissed off with me & called me "gay" because I was dating a girl that they too were interested in. It was very common back then to call guys who wear skinny jeans "gay". Conflict between men can always be averted if the guys just stop wearing over-sized clothes & wore skinny jeans. And you can see nowadays it's perfectly normal for guys to wear skinny jeans. So why did those jealous guys complain about my jeans because I was taking all their girls instead of just wearing skinny jeans? I'm not trying to offend you or anything, but I've never been the jealous type with regards to others in life & I simply can't understand that emotion. I never had problems with money single day in my life, so hard for me to understand jealous emotions. I feel the complete opposite when I see someone has something thing that I want & it inspires me to get something me to go out there & get something similar circumstances for to have something like that happen in my life. I don't angry or vengeful. So why do guys like to sit around & call something "gay" or insult someone because they're jealous? Again I'm not trying offend or anything, I'm just curious I really don't care if someone insults me. I actually welcome it. It always lets me know I'm doing something right."

• @notwoke having a skin care routine is not feminine.

• notwoke

@WonderBell99 putting moisture on is not feminine, having a "skincare routine" is gay

• exitseven
    I use vaseline and chap stick. I guess if I am outside a lot I will start to wear sunscreen.
    Like 1 Person
  • Babygirl_S
    Thanks for all the useful info!
  • Anonymous
    Imagine, being 35-50 years old of age with wrinkles, loose, saggy skin, not having a woman touch your dick in the past 10-20 years of your life because you're too arrogant to do any skin care. OH GOD!! that could never be me. I get the bitches.
  • Anonymous
    I just learnt a lot of new stuff I am going to try out.
  • Anonymous
    I love doing skin care. I don't want to old & nasty. I could never be like that. I need nice skin
  • Anonymous
    So damn cool!
  • Anonymous
    As a man of color I don’t have to worry about nasty ugly breakouts but I see some blacks or darker people who break out and it’s a shame. Worst con about skin care is having a dry face. I did my research on how to care for your face and you’re correct sir. My hair and face is rarely dry. I use coconut oil on both
  • Anonymous
    Skin care? That thing women and gays do?
    LikeDisagree 2 People
    • Joeshamo

I've never been the jealous type but I've run into jealous guys like you in high school that were pissed off with me & called me "gay" because I was dating a girl that they too were interested in. It was very common back then to call guys who wear skinny jeans "gay". Conflict between men can always be averted if the guys just stop wearing over-sized clothes & wore skinny jeans. And you can see nowadays it's perfectly normal for guys to wear skinny jeans. So why did those jealous guys complain about my jeans because I was taking all their girls instead of just wearing skinny jeans? I'm not trying to offend you or anything, but I've never been the jealous type with regards to others in life & I simply can't understand that emotion. I never had problems with money single day in my life, so hard for me to understand jealous emotions. I feel the complete opposite when I see someone has something thing that I want & it inspires me to get something me to go out there & get something similar circumstances for to have something like that happen in my life. I don't angry or vengeful. So why do guys like to sit around & call something "gay" or insult someone because they're jealous? Again I'm not trying offend or anything, I'm just curious I really don't care if someone insults me. I actually welcome it. It always lets me know I'm doing something right.

• Anonymous

Has nothing to do with jealousy, I have no need to be either. Obsession with this stuff is effeminate regardless of whether you get laid or get paid.