Do you think plus sized or taller people should be charged more for the same clothes as their smaller counterparts?

Do you think plus sized or taller people should be charged more for the same clothes as their smaller counterparts?

• Yes, BOTH taller and plus sized people should be charged more for clothing
    Vote A
  • Yes, PLUS sized people should be charged more for clothing (not tall sized)
    Vote B
  • Yes, TALL sized should be charged more for clothing (not plus sized)
    Vote C
  • No, all people of all sizes should be charged the same amount for the same outfits.
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• Charging customers more for material that is literally only costing a few extra cents more to manufacture for the clothing companies is dumb. It's also not the answer to get people to lose weight and be more attractive and healthier. The sizes simply *not existing in the first place* for overweight people would be a good way to start, but manufacturers are spineless money-grubbing shitweasels who care for nothing but profit. So they keep making "plus-sized" clothing for an easy buck, since so many people are fat these days.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some places already do. When I need to find long T shirts, I always end up paying a little more.

But for the rest, hate to break it to you, but most foreign clothes, the material is literally pennies. The difference between the smallest and largest sizes is well below a dollar in materials. Probably in the $.25 ballpark.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Right now it seems that there are three categories in clothing; petite, "normal" and plus size. It seems kinda stupid that there is no graduate increase on price, while the "normal" size scale is quite large, usually from S-XL. You can get all of those at the same price, but then the few special sizes are more expensive. I'd understand if every size would be a bit more expensive, so that the price gap wouldn't be that high between the special sizes and the "normal" sizes, but the store still made the same profit. But I don't think what they are doing now is working.

0|0
    0|0
  • No.
    If we go by that logic, then I'll be arguing that we give discounts to people who are much smaller or petite than the average size as less material was used.
    The only time when people should be charged more on clothes is when they are expecting it to be tailor-made.

5|0
    1|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 94

• I'd say yes but simply for business reasons. If as a manufacturer I have set costs for the fabric I use to make clothes and I know I use a certain amount for "normal" sized people and a certain amount for tall or plus sized people I'd set my pricing in such a way that I'd actually be making a profit. I mean if I had to use 10 yards for "regular" and 15 or 20 for the plus or tall sized I'm not gonna charge them what I'd charge the "normals" I'd loose money.

1|2
    1|0
  • There are an astounding number of people in these comments who think that the cost of clothes has anything to do with the amount of material used.

Pay $20 for a top? Less than $3 of that is going to material costs. The rest is manufacturing, marketing, shipping, quality, control, etc. So by all means, a store could charge extra for the cost of the extra material but they'd get about $0.50 extra and spend thousands of dollars on the marketing backlash.

0|0
    0|0
  • If it costs more to make it then they should be charged more. I think the profit margin should he the same on both but the cost to cover the extra material should be added.
    I mean im size 12 (UK sizes) shoe but you wouldn't expect me to pay the same as someone size 5, would you?

0|0
    1|0
  • There is slightly more material used, which does raise the price, but the mark-up on the items is so high that the cost to produce doesn't really have an effect. So, no it shouldn't cost more, but it does since in the companies eyes it costs more to make.

0|0
    0|0
  • At least one brand already does that: Paul&Shark. If you're between XXS and XXXL, you pay regular price. if you're 4XL to 6XL, you pay about 20NIS more. I think it's fair because their 4XL jackets are HUGE!
    3XL is still vaguely human-sized. 4XL is a goddamn tent! I and FOUR more coworkers fit in a 6XL jacket.

0|0
    0|0
  • Plus sized people have a hard enough time even finding decent clothing selections in the first place and it is typically already more expensive
    No need to add more hardship to people who already have enough

3|0
    0|0
  • I'm going to give an unpopular opinion but if you look at it rationally, you will understand.. plus size clothing takes more material to make, costs more to make, so yes it should cost more.. and this is coming from someone that is plus size and taller..

0|1
    0|0
  • Plus sized I think so... Tall no, you really can't control how tall you get... But you can control more so than not, how big you get... Some people have a harder time, but it's not impossible. So yeah, that would hopefully be an incentive too lose weight and get in healthier shape

0|1
    0|0
  • NO. Just because someone is fat or tall doesn't mean that someone should be paid less to make their clothes.

Think, XXL might take about 50% more cotton to make than medium. A cotton farmer shouldn't just be expected to give that extra cotton for free. How entitled do you have to be to believe that crap?

1|0
    0|0
    • What about the difference in the cotton from small to large? But they cost the same

• If anyone actually disagrees with this then by all means start up a clothing store is tailored haha to everyone equally. But let's be honest more clothing material should equal more money. Just like at a restaurant or food equals more money.

0|0
    0|0
  • I say just let the free market sort that out. If clothing manufacturers decide that the increased amount of fabric in bigger sizes is a cost of production that must be recouped then I think that's reasonable to include that cost.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't encourage it or but I think it should be up to discretion of the manufacturer or retailer whether to upcharge (this happens sometimes but rarely). It is a larger use of material and also a less commonly used size so there's not as high of a demand so economically it makes sense but it also isn't the consumer's fault for their height so it shouldn't be mandatory that they pay more

0|0
    0|0
  • It's simple economics. It takes more material, thus incurs a higher cost to the retailer. So I see no problem in increasing the cost for more material. If I wanted 10 oranges instead of 5, I'd expect to pay twice the price.

0|0
    1|0
    • But you can decide how many oranges you eat. A tall person doesn't dictate their height.

• @cathsummers I understand your point; I know there are some places I've seen that charge the same price for tall sizes as for regular sizes, so maybe the trend will continue, but I think if anything it'll go the other way. Take the argument about airplane seats - should a "larger than what they consider normal" person be forced to purchase two seats?

• People are different sizes and companies need to take this into consideration. Does a person with no legs get charged less on public transport because they take up less space? It's a grey area that we shouldn't go towards.

• Most websites don't even have my size in length when it comes to jeans, so due to that pants can be really expensive from some websites. For shirts I wear XXL, so yeah. Being pretty tall sucks when it comes to clothing and making it more expensive will cause bankruptcy for most people. lol

0|0
    0|0
  • The cost of material is generally not a significant part of the retail price. It's the labor, advertising, brand name, and store markups that you're paying for.

2|1
    0|0
    • People really underestimate how much of what they're paying is the cost of convincing you to buy it.

• I thought they were priced more? I mean don't plus size people need to get custom tailored stuff on fashionable pieces like a dress shirt.

What I really dont understand is why baby clothes costs more!

0|1
    0|0
  • Actually from a business point of view it doesn't really matter what size the clothes are but more, how many of that size you can sell! Buying in bulk make things a lot cheaper than simply cutting the size

0|1
    0|0
  • well if it takes more material and labor to make.. I don't see why they shouldn't charge more. Its actually weird that multiple sizes have the same price if you think about it

0|1
    1|0
    • I was just thinking the same thing. If they charge more for more material then why is medium the same as small?

• I don't know anything about clothing manufacturing but I'd the company is losing more money because it cost more to manufacture plus sized clothes, then yes, they should cost more

1|1
    0|0
  • I'd say that if you are gonna charge a group of people more then charge plus sized people, because you have some form of control over that size but you can't control your length

Probably doesn't make any sense but I haven't slept in 45 hours so cut me some slack

0|0
    0|0
  • Those persons don't need to be charged more, no. I do, however, believe that it is a financially viable option, as the target demographic for both is, ironically, smaller.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on what you are buying. In low cost clothing where the price is material used plus labour plus markup yes you should be charged more. In high cost clothing where the price is designer rate plus time to design plus markup no you shouldn't.
    In debate we call this nuance.

0|0
    0|0
  • The thing is that the bigger/taller you are the more material is used. Thus, a higher price. It doesn't have to be much higher, but still.
    If not then why is food price determined by weight? Wouldn't it make sense to just have the same price tag for a bag of apples regardless of if the quantity is 2 apples or a dozen?
    No, that's stupid. Thus different prices for differences in material use.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, thats stupid.
    The cost of the material is nothing in compare to the price of the final product.

And the size of the person wearing it has no effect on the cost of design, fabrication or transport of the cloth.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course all should be charged the same when it comes to size. But XL condoms are more expensive than regulars, and thats some BS!! No variety in them either.

0|0
    0|0
  • I work in textiles, it doesn't work like that. You give one price for all sizes as a supplier. To sell them in different prices would be considered unethical.

0|0
    0|0
  • It might sound unreasonable, but as a guy who's a little tall for his age I can tell you it's already annoying since, unless you're fat or very ripped as well, you might need size L for your length, but it is way too wide. Extra prices would only make this worse

0|0
    0|0
  • Doesn't matter. It's simple economics. The more materials used in making bigger clothes the more it will cost, ergo, if you want to buy clothes for cheaper lose weight or buy secondhand.

0|0
    1|1
  • Is the same bra more expensive if you have bigger tits?

1|0
    0|0
  • bigger the size, the more material needed to make the shirt. so an increase in price is perfectly understandable

0|4
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 52

• In some cases there are already differences, bras for example probably show the greatest difference.
    I work in design, and wholesale fabric really isn't as expensive as people think- if you knew how little the fabric and components cost to make a pair of lace knickers, you'd be angry at their cost! Labour for different range sizes are different, darts for fitting for example aren't always required, larger plus sizes sometimes have a different set of blocks.

Overheads, profit, and labour are what take up the money when it comes to clothing manufacture.
    Costs are spread across a range, and stock for sizes are arranged in a bell curve around the average.

Also, plus size doesn't mean fat- it's to do with the addition of measurements to the companies base block pattern, that's where the wording comes from- I could make my base a size 0 if I wanted, and that would technically make everything larger a plus size for my brand. UK wise- that industry base is usually a 10 or 12, although plus size isn't often called so until a 16-18.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well if a producer needs to use more fabric, which means the producer has more costs, it'd only be normal to charge more for the finished product. However, most clothing already has a reasonable profitpercentage, so I think the brands will still make money if they don't increase the price of the final product. So in the end, to provent discrimination, I'd say: don't do it.

I believe plus-size fashion already is more expensive... at least in my country it is sometimes.

0|0
    0|0
  • it makes sense. If someone eats so much McDonald's that they need 4 yards of fabric to cover themselves, then they should have to pay foe that much more material. Same goes for tall people, only tall isn't bad and not a choice, but still its more material.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's already hard enough for people who are plus-sized or taller to find clothing that fits, but to have an extra price tag on top of that would suck. My mother is plus sized AND tall and shopping for a single shirt or new pair of jeans would take a long time. It was totally unfair to her.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm a tall girl (5'9/10") and, while I'm definitely not fat, I'm not stick-thin by any means. Honestly, if a brand of clothing charged more for tall women and created clothing specifically fitting our measurements (because nowadays long length jeans are always too short or too big around the waist) I would pay more. Some brands do. It's worth the cost. I know that's not REALLY the issue, but I think that's a factor to take into account.

0|0
    0|0
  • It makes sense business wise to a degree. But size is not really something a person can determine so really it’s be unfair as they’re practically being charged a different price for the same product. There’d be competition between companies then, so if one sold a garment the same price in all sizes to gain custom, the other companies would lose out, so in that sense it wouldn’t be wise.

0|0
    0|0
  • That's stupid, you would make tall people pay more for something they can't help? Especially since clothes are already so expensive.

Plus clothes who are made for you only are more expensive if you're bigger or taller because they need to use more material.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think the way our clothes are often mass produced, everyone should be charged the same. If it was a quality item, and the fabric was good quality, I would pay more according to size but if Target or Kohls tried to pull this, I don't think it'd fly.

1|0
    0|0
  • It has to do with there is more material required per yard so thats why say it takes five yards to make a dress for a bigger person and only three for smaller well your paying flr that extra fabric

0|0
    0|0
  • My fiance is 6'5. He has to special order his clothing and yes, they cost more than if he were to buy them in store. This is just a fact of life for him - and soon to be me lol

It takes more fabric to cover him up. Makes sense to me.

0|0
    0|0
  • The reason why it's "bad" is because people want to see it as discrimination against body types when it's literally more material being used to produced an item.

0|0
    0|0
  • Part of me wants to say that it’s fair because there’s more material involved so of course it costs more, but baby clothes can cost just as much as my clothes and they’re less than half my size sooo

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm biased cause I'm tall and plump😂😂😂😂😂 so it all should be equal. But my unbiased twin says they should be charged more since it takes too much extra material

1|1
    0|0
  • I pick the option that says, "all people of all sizes should be charged with the same amount for the same outfits!" Equality is more of my thing and I think this one seems more fair than the rest...

0|0
    0|0
  • I just think it's stupid for someone to put a price tag on the nature of our bodies. So what if we're taller or fatter we can't change what we're born with. Even if we were to decide on a pricing strategy based on body shapes aren't you just creating an ideal image for a human body? Or are you not trying to make the whole world fit into this "one size fits all" category which doesn't represent us individuals? Think about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Clothes are already overpriced anyway. That’s why they can mark them down so much and still make a killer profit.

1|0
    0|0
  • Well I kinda think like it did take more fabric to make the clothing for bigger and taller people so maybe they should pay a little more but at the same time I'm like some people can't help it. (Except if you're fat, you can help that)

0|0
    0|0
  • Wtf no thats so rude for people to do that like what if someone had a medical condition that made them overweight and some people are born with the genes that make them tall they can't help it

0|0
    0|0
  • Are the clothes tailored or mass produced? What I've noticed is that this is already the case in the U. S. anyway. Shoes that are big and larger clothes typically cost more.

0|0
    0|0
  • Common sense. It takes more fabric/material. It can suck, but it is what it is.

1|0
    0|0
  • The same, of course. Clothes are a necessary part of life and a particular outfit should cost the same no matter what the size.

0|0
    0|0
  • Plus sized clothing already cost more than regular sized clothing. Bigger bras are already way more expensive. Do I think it's fair? Not necessarily. But I get it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think smaller sizes should be charged less. I wear so much less fabric than some friends and its all the same prices

0|0
    0|0
  • Clothes for tall people are already more expensive. I hate paying more for my clothes because of something that I can't help.

1|0
    0|0
  • If it costs more to make sure. Its Like how obese people should be made to buy two seats in planes, trains and cinemas

0|0
    0|0
  • Men’s 3X plus shirts are a few dollars more. The cost of kids clothes change based on size. Yeah I think all plus size clothes should be more.

0|1
    0|0
  • People can lose weight. You can't change height. I'm tall and thin so that can't be helped.

1|1
    0|0
    • I don't think that should matter. If your clothes cost more to manufacture, that's just an unfortunate side effect of capitalism

• Show All
    • ... companies just want more profit if they make more fabric cost the same they would lose money

• Well I'm not paying more. But your welcome too. I have better priorities than spending extra money on clothes, when you can just get them from a charity shop.

• It may seem rude to the plus sized people, but actually, you are using more material to make the larger clothing. So I understand why it costs more.

0|0
    0|0
  • It would make since business wise, but it wouldn't be fair though.

0|0
    0|0
  • what? a tall people tax? tall people have no control over their height. that's just dumb.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes