Do YOU think there is a double standard between men and women when it comes to weight vs height?

Yet another follow up from my two height questions yesterday. Do you think there is a double standard between men and women when it comes to dating preferences of height vs weight?

The double standard being that a woman can turn down men for being too short but men are shamed for turning down women for weighing too much. usually saying something like 'it shouldn't matter.'

Do you think this double standard is real and how prevalent do you think it is?

• Yes there is a double standard and is very prevelant in the dating scene
  • Yes there is a double standard but only among a small group of women
  • No there isn't a double standard actually
    Vote C
  • Can we all just PLEASE have our own preferences without shaming each other for them? Amen?
    Vote D
Just to be clear, im 5'9 and i have never felt insecure about my height. i just dislike double standards. if you can have your shallow preferences then i can have mine too. To shame one over another just makes you look hypocritical imho

3044

Most Helpful Girls

• i can’t speak for every girl but my care for how tall a guy is stems probably from my own height insecurities being so tall. having a significant other shorter than you only accentuates how tall you are. weight is a completely different ball game in my opinion and WAY touchier of a subject. asking someone’s height is a fairly normal question where asking someone’s weight is douchy.

• Thank you! my point exactly. the girl might be asking bc she's insecure about being tall herself.

• Putting down some one short being your own insecurites makes you an awful person.

• @cutiebytheshore123 What if the man is insecure about his height?

• You mean in the questions that are asked? Not at all. In my opinion, it's nonsensical for a woman to ask a man about his height as if it matters (aside from having children) and if it IS important to her based on attraction, she shouldn't get upset if he asks about her weight. It's a preference but there isn't a double standard. I do think men and women want specified weight and heights for different reasons though.

Men want a woman that physically appeals to him. Understandable. Women want that too... but there is more to it than just attraction.

That woman in the video said it right though (1:25). In the past, the taller a man was, the more assumed qualities he had (power, wealth, status, confidence, etc.) and I think some women still think that today.

I also understand the French woman based on what she said (lying her head on his chest, cuddling) and the woman that preferred to "look up". These are all other reason.

Anyway, no. I don't think it's a double standard.

• its a double standard in that both are shallow physical preferences in a man, and to shame one while not shaming another IS hypocritical. there's really no argument to be made against that.

• Read @Bandit74's answer cause he's got it down pretty well.

• kind of like how a 5' 5" 275lb woman is beautiful and only shallow men would refuse her but a 6' 5" 275lb man is mocked and rejected by most women and especially so by the 275lb women who have standards you know.

Most Helpful Guys

• I actually don't really care about it. One of my ex had kept her weight secret from me, she was bit overweighted and she thought I wouldn't like her. In fact I knew, we still dated and it only took 2 months, however it wasn't her weight or height what ended us.

• how tall are you?

• thats about 6 feet so i don't think you would ever have any kind of short person insecurity

• Not sure if I sounded wrong, I more wanted to point it out I wouldn't care if the girl is short or not. Ofc first impressions are important, the one I talk about wasn't fat either, but yet I don't ask it like it is a filter. There are people like they just wouldn't ever date like "I wouldn't date if he is shorter than 175", what if he is 174, if 174 is acceptable, what about 173 then? It goes like that..

• I have never turned down a girl because she was too tall or too short. I have been turned down by a woman who is taller than me and that really blew!

This weight thing in insane. If I am not turned on by Laura Lardass, why should I pretend I am interested and ask her for a date? Am I really doing a girl a favor by PRETENDING to be attracted to her?