Anyone else here hate salt?

I don't get why cooks always fill the food with salt, if people want salt they can put it on before they eat it. I can't stand salt, when I cook I never add salt. Anyone else the same?

28

Most Helpful Guy

• I have to really watch my sodium intake due to my health condition. That said, I do the cooking in the house and, with judicial use, add salt whenever it's needed. I don't add salt to everything. Like any good cook, I taste the dish from time to time (whenever it's possible) and adjust the seasoning as needed. Dishes like soups, sauces, stews, etc., will have the flavors meld together as it cooks.

I will also use salt substitutes like Worcester sauce, fish sauce, etc. to help bring out certain flavors. Or even vinegars to add a bit of brightness to the flavor. For example, a blend of Worcester sauce and balsamic vinegar can really kick up the flavor of beef soups and stews.

It's like anything else worth doing well. It's knowing your tools, and how and when to use them.

• I think a good cook should put less salt than they feel is needed though if cooking for others, cause some people have much more sensitive taste buds. And if they don't think it's salty enough they can always add more

Most Helpful Girl

• Cooks do not fill up their food with salt, they put the amount that most people like. You're just an outlier.

• They can put less and let people add some if they want

• Lol it's not hard to shake a bit of salt over your food

• No, I guess not, but it's also mixed in better when it's put while cooking it.