Anyone else here hate salt?

I don't get why cooks always fill the food with salt, if people want salt they can put it on before they eat it. I can't stand salt, when I cook I never add salt. Anyone else the same?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I have to really watch my sodium intake due to my health condition. That said, I do the cooking in the house and, with judicial use, add salt whenever it's needed. I don't add salt to everything. Like any good cook, I taste the dish from time to time (whenever it's possible) and adjust the seasoning as needed. Dishes like soups, sauces, stews, etc., will have the flavors meld together as it cooks.

I will also use salt substitutes like Worcester sauce, fish sauce, etc. to help bring out certain flavors. Or even vinegars to add a bit of brightness to the flavor. For example, a blend of Worcester sauce and balsamic vinegar can really kick up the flavor of beef soups and stews.

It's like anything else worth doing well. It's knowing your tools, and how and when to use them.

0|0
    0|0
    • I think a good cook should put less salt than they feel is needed though if cooking for others, cause some people have much more sensitive taste buds. And if they don't think it's salty enough they can always add more

Most Helpful Girl

• Cooks do not fill up their food with salt, they put the amount that most people like. You're just an outlier.

0|0
    0|0
    • They can put less and let people add some if they want

• Show All
    • Lol it's not hard to shake a bit of salt over your food

• No, I guess not, but it's also mixed in better when it's put while cooking it.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Basicly, some very small salt makes the food to taste to more full. I also dislike when everything is salted without selection. But I figured out, it is my body response. My body doesn't need so much salt and so I don't prefer to have it. On the other day I feel need for some. Other people are not this much into salt levels and works up a habit to salt everything, even if they don't need it. Habits die hard, the ones without reason harder.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope, add salt to everything I eat. Even salads.

Hate it outright or when used in excess? Also, maybe you're a super taster.

Salt brings life to dishes, from curries, to sandwiches, to pasta sauce, to rice, it's on everything I eat. Moderation is key for me though.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because it affects the taste of the food as it's being cooked.

0|1
    0|0
    • Yeah it makes it salty. I prefer the taste without

• Then you need to request that when you order food.

• Or they can put less and people who like it can add some

• While food is cooking salt enhances and brings out the food's natural flavor. Putting salt on the food while it's on the plates adds way more sodium to the food than the small amount added during the cooking process!

0|0
    0|0
    • Only if less is put in while cooking. Usually they add too much when cooking though

• Show All
    • For that matter whatever you do don't eat pizza as it's loaded with salt!

• I don't care if it has a bit salt in it as long as it doesn't taste salty, but food made by others almost always tastes horribly salty. I'd like to get some potassium chloride or better still potassium hydroxide but I can't find any.
      Pasta sauce usually isn't salty at all, but yeah the others I don't like. Pizza I like only if it's covered in vegetables (and no meat of course) to counter the saltiness of the cheese

• Everyone has different taste buds. My friend can pour mountains of salt on food before it tastes salty to him, I'm fairly neutral and my mum can't stand it either.

0|0
    0|0
    • I think my salt taste buds are too sensitive, I can taste one grain of salt in a forkful of food :P

• I love adding salt to things to find a good balance. All up to your personal pallette though. if you don't like it, don't worry about it and try to avoid it. everyone is different there :)

0|0
    0|0
  • try natural salt, I hate the flavour of this synthetic joded sodium... try fleur de sal or grande baron, its natural white, brown and red

0|0
    0|0
    • Hmm interesting, I'll try them but I expect they all taste salty

• yes but its like sorts of beer, or dogs, they not everytime the same...

• Yeah ok i might try them, but I'm happy with my food having no salt and I think I get enough sodium anyway

• To some extent I feel you.
    When I cook I only add a pinch of salt (or even less), but where I'm from people put salt in everything they cook like crazy. It drives me nuts. @.@

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes