12 Things to Expect When Dating a Strong Woman

Dating a woman who is strong and has her act together is an experience ripe with lessons to be learned. If you are going to fall in love with someone like this, there are going to be some things you should know first.

1. Don’t expect any fluff from her.

You’re going to have to stop dancing around issues and start being straight with her, because that’s how she’s going to be with you. If there is an issue or something bothering her, you’re going to know about it. She is a problem-solver and she wants you to be, too.

If you want something sugarcoated, you should probably go get yourself a cupcake, cupcake.

2. Don’t expect to carry on a relationship solely through text messages.

Women like this are efficient communicators and the nuances of texting aren’t going to cut it. Sure, some texts throughout the day to keep in touch will work just fine, but your primary mode of communication will be over the phone or face-to-face (as it should be).

3. Don’t expect her to be impressed by your antics.

Leave your “social proof” antics at the door. Any juvenile attempt to make her jealous by talking about or posting photos with other women will backfire.

Strong women do not get jealous because they are secure enough in themselves to know what (and who) is worth their time, or what/who isn’t. If she is going to fully commit to you, she expects the same in return — no games here.

4. Don’t expect to have mindless conversations.

Strong, mature women are worldly, passionate and educated. They are willing to have real conversations about real issues, and while there might be a “Real Housewives” episode playing in the background, her mind is still going a mile a minute about things that really matter. If you want her attention, you are going to have to keep up.

5. Don’t expect being indecisive to fly.

She probably has a stressful job that requires her to spend the day making decisions or dealing with other people’s nonsense. If you are looking for evenings full of “I don’t know, where do you want to go for dinner?” exchanges, then you are barking up the wrong tree. She wants you to make decisions and she wants you to make plans.

6. Don’t expect her to put up with disrespect.

No woman should. Today’s women are bold, confident and know what they want. What they don’t want is to be around someone who is going to mistreat or disrespect them.

7. Don’t expect being flaky to be okay.

If you say you are going to do something, whether it involves her or not, you’re going to be held accountable.

8. Do expect to be consistently motivated.

Dating a strong woman is like strapping a jetpack to your back. She lives her life with purpose, with goals, with a vision for the future. If you are the man she has chosen to share her life with, her ambitious nature will rub off on you, if you aren’t like that already. You will have a lifelong teammate by your side. An equal, a partner, a confidant.

9. Do expect her to fully commit to you.

Strong women are loyal. They expect honesty and commitment from you, but they are more than willing to return it with the same fierce passion they apply to every other aspect of their lives. You will not find a more trustworthy woman than a strong, independent one.

Why? Because she chooses what she wants out of life and she holds on to it when she gets it. When you are what she wants, she will give you her everything.

10. Do expect to have new experiences.

She has lived her life with passion and excitement for long before she met you. Along this journey she developed hobbies, interests and has had unique experiences. Furthermore, she has built a list of things she wants to do in the future — and she wants to share them with you.

11. Do expect to look forward to every day.

When you are with a strong woman, there is no such thing as being bored. She is always on the go, and while she does enjoy relaxing on the couch, she can just as easily suggest an impromptu weekend away in the mountains. (And, even if you plan it out, expect her to add her own personal flair.)

12. Do expect to build a beautiful life together.

As someone motivated, ambitious and intelligent, you want to build a beautiful life for yourself. You have goals, dreams and visions for your future. There is no better feeling than knowing the woman standing next to you shares your level of ambition and matches your efforts.

You will never be happier than when you are with a strong woman, because she lives her life with a burning desire to make the best of it. She loves deeply and will motivate you to become the best possible version of yourself — while remaining the same man she fell for in the first place.

Do not shy away from strong women, and do not be intimidated by their passion for life. Instead, be excited that you have found your teammate. You have found your partner in crime.

You have found your equal.

2866

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 66

• If anyone self-identifies as ''strong'' then they are anything but that.

• The funny thing these women are so motivated and ambitious when it comes with competing against a mans salary but they have no ambition or goals when it comes to making a stable and loving family. I don't care how awesome you are in any or every aspect, if you don't make family a priority you are a worthless partner.

• Funny thing, though, one thing many "strong" women just haven't the capacity to handle is a man who is strong and mature enough to NOT GIVE A FUCK about something. Instead, she'll poke, and pry, and "analyze". How can ANYTHING simply not matter to somebody? Her little mind can't handle it. When a man has priorities, then frivolous fluff like "where do you want to go for dinner" ARE INSIGNIFICANT DETAILS. To a man whose mind is filled with the MBA program or going for the kill at the next marketing conference, food is just a sideshow. They are as silly and insignificant as hairstyle and shoes. "Which shoes do you like?" MEN DO NOT FUCKING CARE! "Strong" women can't handle anyone who doesn't have the same set of priorities they do.

However, a strong man realizes that "strong" women can't handle anyone who doesn't think like a woman, so they just make up crap at random. They say "Those shoes"--it doesn't really matter, but the "strong" woman thinks it does. They have a list of restaurants in their head and pick one at random--it doesn't matter, but the "strong" woman thinks it's SUCH a big deal. It also doesn't matter what the mans says, because she'll shoot down every choice he proposes, anyway--it's just part of the head games she plays for no sane reason. Whatever, it's just food.

• Excellently described.

I would like to add that women, no matter the level of education/etc., speak and act based on emotions. Always.

Oh, and strong men are inherently not emotional.

• Not in the least bit. ;)

• @DJZest if you think that's the case, you don't understand how the brain works.

• All i can say to that is, strong women are a huge challenge for the majority of guys. They can't handle it and they are easily intimidated by them.
    But, if you do manage to have a relationship with a strong women, physically and mentally, you'll be for one adventure. In a positive way

• like them. married one.
    one thing people need to realize, tho - is that "strong" is not equivalent to "raving bitch." do not confuse them and don't let one tell you she's the other.

• This sounds more like an ad for strong women!
    All joking aside, being strong is a great thing, just don't take it to the extreme. This applies for EVERYONE who's independent and in a relationship, definitely not just strong women. Make sure that your significant other still feels like they're needed. It's very easy for the other one to feel useless if you can do everything yourself.

• You are 100% correct! I don't mean strong as in controlling insensitive bitch. :)

• Oh, that was definitely not was I was referring to. XD
      I meant that if you can handle almost everything in your life yourself, the other one can often feel like you don't need them.

• Isn't this something we should expect anyway? This has nothing to do with being a strong woman and more to do with just being a typical person living in the world.

And everything you listed pretty much is what I look for at least. Career driven, knows what she wants, she can carry a conversation (seems like a universal necessity), be loyal and committed.

• This list seems to be describing a very particular woman than it does a type of woman in general. It has the feel of the usual, 'My Struggle' and 'I'm going to set a good example for all the oppressed young women' ... or dare I say, like one of those affirmation/self-motivation videos.
    Also as I was reading it, I felt like some homeless guy was yelling in my ear over and over through each number of the list, "What kind of men has this 'strong woman' been fucking with?" in between him taking another swig of his whisky.

Don't get me wrong, I like your take, but I think you should keep it on the personal level rather than making about 'strong women in general.' There are some 'strong women' out there that wouldn't be messing with whatever type of dudes this strong women is describing. Maybe this particular woman is to the point of recognizing what kind of men she doesn't want to deal with... but there is lackluster women out there that wouldn't eff with those guys either.

and on that note... those eff boys still get plenty of play, so they must be doing something right.

• Didn't know the word "strong" has so many meanings and synonyms.
    But still, good take.
    I just think these attributes doesn't mean that the woman who has these are strong, rather it means she is not childish.
    So you kind of described the ideal woman there.

• I definitely didn't mean strong in the physical sense, thank you. :)

• I've dated women who were "strong." It was interesting.

But what really brings out the man in you is when you're dating a very feminine woman who wants a man, and who doesn't want to be her own man. On the submissive side, acts shy and sweet and a little mischievous? It's like that rush you get at the gym, combined with the buzz of feeling a drink hit you. It's quite amazing, really.

• ''Dating a strong woman is like strapping a jetpack to your back.''

www.ejectionsite.com/.../tbirdejectclose.jpg

• Here's one thing I appreciate about "strong women": They're not the type to ghost you or block you without any explanation. They'd explicitly tell you that they're not interested, or break up with you decisively. I appreciate that. They also don't tend to exhibit passive-aggressive behavior, which I and many men find to be supremely annoying. If something is bothering her, she won't beat around the bush, and will be upfront about it.

Some people misinterpret being strong and decisive with being malevolent, quarrelsome, or just plain rude, which isn't really the case.

Anyway, as with any relationship, be it with a "strong" or "weak" woman, it's all about compatibility, which can be a bit complicated at times. The biggest challenge is when the man and the woman are both strong and authoritarian: It will not last in that case.

• I love this! You made so many great points and I'm glad you see it this way because I agree.

• 1 thing to expect from a strong woman who dates a strong man... she will become a HOUSEWIFE 😉

• There is nothing wrong with a strong woman if she can keep her feminine to her man, which means: "be a tiger outside the house" but inside the house be the lovely wife who does anything for her king to make him happy...

Also a strong woman will kick the ass of a douchebag if he was trying to flirt with her somewhere in the public and her husband wasn't with her... it's a lesson to teach a guy that when a woman is married it means she belongs to her man, so back off and have some respect.

• That is so beautiful.

• *Applause*
    Where can I find such a woman?
    This Take Is great
    I think G@G should promote this !!! PROMOTE IT G@G

• Haha thanks!! They did promote it lol you brought me some luck!

• Hehe welcome
      This needs to be out there 😁😁
      I guess G@G listens to me sometimes haha (G@G not God)

• Very nice take and a lot of guys hope to meet a woman like that - My girlfriend ticks many of those boxes

• You forgot about the rock n roll wrestling in the bedroom, that's the best.

• Very interesting Take, I appreciate strong women very much 👍

• Couldn't 5. also be said about men? If you are truly an equal, then why not in this regard?

• For me it all goes both ways. It doesn't just apply to her.

• This also reads like 12 Things women should understand about men.. Good mytake by the way

• And not ONE thing that you bring of value to a relationship. Just nothing. A total fail.

• What do you bring of value to a relationship?

• What he needs isn't relevant to any of this. If you are insinuating that I am selfish and don't know then you are the one who is mistaken. Communication is key and that is something, as partners, we do very well. I never claimed I was perfect, nor did I say I was everyone's cup of tea, all relationships require work. I just posted my thoughts, my take, on this particular subject, it wasn't meant to come off as some mainstream ground-breaking thing nor was it meant to be taken negatively.

• So, someone else asked about this strong woman thing in another Q. My take is you have mistaken strong and independent with simply capable and accomplished. And the FI has taken it to 'we don't need no stinkin men'. And there you have it in a nutshell.

• More from Guys
    46

What Girls Said 28

• Great take ! I especially agree with number 5 , it gets on my nerves when people are indecisive I just can't take it. And especially number 6 and 9 as well.

• The indecisive part is probably the one that frustrates me more than anything. I just can't deal with it lol!!!

• I'm sure there are poeple who are really indecisive about everything, but there are some men who are not indecisive, they want to know where you want to go, out of curiosity, to get to know you a bit more.

• @ElvenMr right and that's not an issue at all, I just don't want to be the one making every decision and I value his input as well.

• The only ones I don't match is 1 and 4. Sometimes I can ramble my ass off and talk about random stuff a lot. And even though I like facing my problems I do watch the way I speak to my boyfriend because of respect and love. And I usually go with a sugary and fluff way because I get more with that than lemons.

• I've been a member of this website awhile now and in that time, I've seen many my takes similar to this one. Though all are written by a different woman, they all seem like they are written by the same one because none of the things listed ever speaks to a women's personal strength. It's always random stuff, that has nothing to do with strength.

I think it may be the sign of the times because people seem have their own special definition of what strength is vs what it really means to be strong.

So, what strength is:

Strength is courage and bravery with a willingness to do what others won't.

Strength is how you handle all the challenges life throws your way because life gives many obstacles and many things we didn't expect to have happen (not all of them good), it's how one handles all of those things that makes them strong.

Strength is continuing on despite many rejections or life failures but you keep trying and you don't give up because you know one day the effort will pay off and you'll secede.

Strength is a lot of things but what it's not is a bunch of random things all put together that compared to what people actually go through, is actually quite trivial.

Nothing listed here has the makings of a strong woman. It speaks to a woman whose confident and knows what she wants and knows what she'll put up with and what she won't, etc. It speaks to a lot of good qualities and characteristics of one to have but none of those things has anything to do with being a strong woman. It just doesn't.

This world is hard to live in and it's made even harder when you're dealt a crappy hand but it's how you deal with that hand you were dealt and how you use what you do have to achieve your dreams and goals, that create a persons strength. It's those hard defining moments that make a person strong.

It's easy to sit and list a bunch of qualities that seem like something a strong person would have but seeming like and actually being are two different things. These are things other women seem to think make a strong woman, but it's simply not. Just because one has all these qualities doesn't mean they are strong or can handle tough situations.

• I don't understand this "strong woman" trope? lmao these are common expectations applicable to most relationships regardless of gender.

• This was bueno. Thanks for sharing doll. Glad someone gave the skinny here lol.

• Well said, but this is not the woman for so many men because they were not prepared for her, and some just don't like these type of women. Strong women however, make the best mothers. They raise confident, respectful, ambitious boys, and confident, self sufficient women.

• I’m a strong woman at work, but my personal relationships are emotional, with a bit of fluff and mindless conversations. When I‘ve spent my day talking about serious stuff at work, the last thing I want is to discuss the world’s poverty or the ever present economic crisis over dinner.

• I can already see a lot of GaG guys getting triggered by this

• They really are, some of the comments I woke up to!! oh man...

• Spot on & awesome @Branwenn! slca-ctp.org/.../awesome.jpg

• you have to be a strong man to begin with to be able to keep up with her otherwise it'll fall apart really fast.

• Honestly you sound like s crazy career women. Chill down. I doubt you will respect your husband when you sound like demanding pain in the butt. I think you should reconsider your life choices...

• I really dont think strong women are immune to flaws like insecurities. No one is.

• Very nice honey and all essentials of a happy life i guess

• Exactly, awesome myTake 😎👍

• Nice take

• Wow, good

• Love this. So true.

• Feminatzi

• A strong man is definitely a requirement

• This is true!

• More from Girls
    8