Why I Block People on G@G

I am a chronic blocker.Why I Block People on G@G

I admit it. I block people the second I think our interaction is going to be uselessly negative. I bring this up because a few times I have had people jump from account to account or have another G@Ger approach me after I've made the decision to block them, essentially to attack me on the grounds that I wrongfully blocked somebody for having a differing opinion - but I would like to explain myself.

I block people when I feel that their comments to me are antagonistic or if I feel their opinions are uninformative (meaning they are meant more for the sake of argument or controversy). A lot of people go off on tangeants that don't relate at all to what the topic of discussion is and approach it in a way that suggests they're really only there to argue, which is something I try to keep away from my work. I won't lie and say I haven't blocked somebody for the sake of ending an annoying argument or for the sake of avoiding annoyance, but all in all I make a point to be conscious of who I block, because I am open to multiple opinions and debate - I'm simply not open to unnecessary controversy that serves no benefit to anybody. I do however take the comments that I block people based solely on their difference of opinion to heart, and while I don't entirely agree with that, I will use it positively to make sure that this is something I never do in the future.

... However, at the same time, I have an itchy blocker-finger.

If I clock a G@Ger who I recognize as being somebody who makes really foul, crude, or offensive comments, I will block them long before they ever interact directly with me. Why? Because I don't need those kinds of people lurking around the things I work hard on, because when I post questions or takes, I post them with the intention of them being helpful to the reader. Knowing that there are people on G@G who get a kick out of bringing nothing but negativity to takes and questions, I make an equally conscious effort to try and keep them out of something that is intended to be positive.

So, if anybody were to ask me why I block other users so quickly, to sum it all up into a single point, its this: I block people when I feel they are going to bring something negative to the conversation - not because they don't agree with me or because they don't like me or what I have to say. If somebody wants to challenge my opinion, that's fine, so long as they aren't a complete jerk about it I'm happy to debate a subject with anybody.

Have a good Friday evening everybody and thanks for reading my little diatribe.

1134

Most Helpful Guy

• I've only blocked people who are chronic instigators. People who I know don't care about analyzing opinions and just want to argue all day.

Most Helpful Girl

• Preach. Me too I block people for the same reasons. Like you mentioned in your take, maybe I should block agnostic or offensive before they can get a chance to reply to one of my opinions or questions so that I'm not victim. The thing that will make me hesitate on whether to block them or not is perhaps that person wouldn't be rude towards me the way he/she is rude to others. I love the idea of blocking, I don't want myself sinking in nasty comments. Once again, preach!!
    33.media.tumblr.com/.../...clXDuL1rikwsko1_400.gif

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 33

• *Checks if I'm blocked or not so that I'd post an opinion*

• Okay so, the thing is... I don't think you need to justify that you block just because people are antagonistic. This IS the reason why the block feature is provided. When I clicked on this take, I expected that there'll be a girl who'll state her struggles against mental disorders, her enigmatic perspectives or her past experiences which changed her and made a person who blocks people ruthlessly. Your reason was just obvious and if you really needed to tell us, it means there in deep inside your heart, you're feeling a bit guilty. Are you scared of being labelled of something? When you block a person, he knows why he was blocked and sharing this will only deride his own values, not yours.

In your take, you wrote that "(meaning they are meant more for the sake of argument or controversy)" but in your 'about me' section, there is written something like "I have a passion for controversial topics and helping others."

^Hope I'll not get block hammer for this :P

• I got it.

But the people who are already blocked (as I mentioned) know that why they were blocked (Creeps, trolls, cyber-bullies etc.) but the remaining group would still not agree with you because they'll think that you just ran-away like coward even tho your actions were justified. Actually, I have a personal experience like this. I asked a question here and a reputed lady having high MH% answered that question eloquently. I liked it and appreciated. I said "very good". I thought it'd great to ask her something else (because she seems intelligent) but she replied "You don't seem to be taking this seriously, you are willing to take that chance that you are victimizing someone still? This is why I'd never associate with someone like you. You show no empathy." and blocked me. Now, she can write a take like this, but would I agree with her? I mean there are other options like just simply ignoring unwanted things but blocking someone is an instant judgement of character. :)

• I understand what you're saying and I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for your comment.

• I have thoughts along the same lines in a take I wrote - Good job
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a11199-to-block-or-not-to-block

• Thanks, I'll read it.

• Well everyone has that freedom and option to block who they want. I wished we could see who blocks us though, I'm sure I'm a few have blocked me on here.

• I've been blocked by a few people myself, typically after I respond to a troll comment though and they want to say something snarky back. Back a year or so ago (on another account) I was a little shithead who blocked people just to get the last word. Lol. Not too proud of that but I'm a different, better person now.

• @asker Sometimes tempers get the best of people. Learning how to control your temper, and how to hold serious conversations with those you disagree with is a huge part of emotional maturity. Everyone makes mistakes lol.

• You make a solid point and I agree with you.

• Usually with blocking I tend to avoid it unless I'm being outright relentlessly hounded by them (which has happened to me a few times).

I know for a fact that people have blocked me before I've even said anything to them, because I've attempted to reply to people, only to have noticed they've already done the deed for me. Mea culpa, I suppose.

• I want the people who blocked me to come out and hash things out lol. as in come to a conflict resolution :P like seriously why the hate! there are worse fuckers than me on the internet LOL šŸ˜‚

• I don't block anyone. I suppose I'm the kind of person that'll end up on your block list. I think it's somewhat childish to block someone because you disagree with them, but what do I know. It's like the kid who put his hands on his ears and burst out in a: "Lalalalala I can't hear you" while his parents are trying to talk to him. By blocking anybody who might disagree and want to start a discussion, you are missing out on the chance to see things from a different point of view. It's like playing a rugby match with no opponents. I don't think there's much of a point in writing a MyTake if you already know everybody is going to reply with: "Yeah I agree!"

• Once again, I don't block people based on differing opinions. I block people who come into the conversation with the intention of being unnecessarily negative. If somebody wants to debate with me, that's fine, but if somebody wants to come to my post and start spouting off how I'm an idiot and such then yes, I will likely block them.

• I think I see where you're coming from. Problem is, people who are like that are anonymous 90% of the time. It would be a blessing if we could actually block anonymous people. Maybe then I'd start blocking some fools too.

• I feel you there.

• Okay, two things:

1) I think that's a great mindset you have, it's better to avoid conflict before it starts.

And 2) I love your cover pic lol

• Awwwe thanks @Xelebrum.

Yeah Oprah has a way of making people laugh. Gotta love a good meme.

• I meant your profile cover picture :P But yes, memes are great haha

• OOOH! Well thank you, I appreciate that even more so.

• Great take + I think that's a great mindset you have, it's better to avoid conflict before it starts. i1127.photobucket.com/.../ezgif.com-add-text.gif *checks to see if I'm blocked >_< *

• Why I block people ok

1. they're annoying.
    2. I don't feel like dealing with idiots.
    3. to stop a conflict before it happens.
    4. because I feel like it.

• I dont Pā‚¬$$Ā„ block but i do get cawk block from arguments and disagreements lel

• I have never blocked anyone, even though I think roughly 15-20 people have blocked me, probably it's been less than 2 months for me having used the site. The main reason might be because of the giant asshole I am in my comments, apart from it, there are people who could never take a pun if it's directed at them.

Most importantly, people shouldn't be blocked because of what they once said. We have to agree humans aren't perfect, some have their quirks but they might also have many good qualities we can learn from.
    Because if I really need answer to something urgently and I don't get decent answers, there would always be a thought on the back of the mind, maybe the blocked users could had given me the advice I needed if I hadn't blocked them.

• i'm the biggest troll and you've been blocked more than me? That's absurd.

• Don't flatter yourself... flatter me.

• Blocking seems kind of fascist to me. Kinda anti free speech. I will never block anyone. I am probably being blocked by most people, but whatever.

• cool scene dude, provided that the government is stopping you...

• and who are you to say that people should speak to you or you them. do you have aspergers'?

• "I block people when I feel that their comments to me are antagonistic or if I feel their opinions are uninformative (meaning they are meant more for the sake of argument or controversy)" You say but at the say time you say have an itchy block finger. You say you don't block people because they disagree with you, but this post makes me feel like you do indeed block people because they disagree with you. You could see that disagreement as antagonistic and decide you just don't want to deal with them. And you say that you block people who you feel are uninformative which makes me feel like you block people who use sarcasm in their answers. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but when people use sarcasm in their answers while also adding in points of value - you essentially remove valuable opinions from your line of sight.

Just some food for thought

• There's no way for you to know definitively. I won't go out of my way to prove it to you, but on the whole, I don't block people for having differing opinions; I base it solely off of how antagonistic or negative somebody attempts to be. If somebody comes on to my work and says: This is fucking stupid, you're an idiot" then there's no reason to allow them to continue to comment on my work in the future. I don't base it off of sarcastic remarks either, I base it solely on people who are uselessly negative.

You are entitled to think what you want but I am telling you through and through that I do not agree with you and there's no way for you to truly know without being on my end of the screen. Nonetheless thanks for your insight.

• Not a problem. It made me feel like tossing out a serious answer. So you did something right lol.

• Excellent, lol.

• I only blocked one person because she was bitching for not liking my opinion.
    If you can't handle negative opinions, don't ask for opinions.

The rest blocked me as a sign of defeat since they couldn't win an argument. They wanted to have the last word just to make it seem like they won.

• Once again, it's less about opposing opinions as it is people being uselessly negative. However, I can see your point.

• lulz... i've blocked you prior since i didn't care about any "victory", just you're a bore who clearly has no friends in the outside world and cannot interact without people properly.. haha..

• @mexborough You blocked me? Didn't even notice, I actually keep a list of people that have.
      As for me boring you, you don't have to respond.
      I'm not sure how the number of friends I have has anything to do with this. I'm on here to ask and answer questions and at times write myTakes which apparently a lot of people think are quite good.
      If you don't like me that's your problem. I'm not here to make friends.

• Am I blocked?

No, ok. I got scared for a second there.

reactiongif.org/.../...-relieved-Zoolander-GIF.gif

• Haha Derek, yessssss!

• You probably blocked me.

• Because they deserve be blocked by you !

• Thank you for upvote asker !

• Thank you very much, I certainly make an effort to be. You seem kind hearted yourself.

• You're welcome and thank you too. You're already a nice girl, At least I can feel that from you. But yeah I am kind, So are you.

• There's avoiding conflicts and there is intending to piss someone off. If someone is truly avoid a conflict then they will not reply to what is annoying them and block them straight away. If they want to piss someone off they will reply with an argument that is intending to aggravate the person and block them after.

• I was expecting to be blocked there lol.

• In that case, you are justified in your chronic blocking in my eyes.

• Thank you.

• Why I block people on gag coz they r racist towards me and they dint respect me other than this I don't block anyone

• I absolutely never block people. Never. If I don't like them, I'll ignore but not block.

• Hey to each their own, I respect what other people choose to do, you have to do what's right for you in the end. Thanks for your comment.

• More from Guys
    13

What Girls Said 10

• LOL

I'm a chronic blocker too.

• Thanks for the take. I read quite a few of the replies as well.

I've struggling over this blocking thing quite a bit here as well. In general, I've tried to use that feature as little as possible. However, I can see the benefit of preemptively blocking someone that is an obvious and habitual antagonist, if only to save yourself time.

I just wish there were a feature on GaG that when you block an anonymous poster that it would translate into blocking their user account from me for good. I feel like it's quite often the same small group of anonymous trolls that get their kicks by posting the same ridiculous and antagonistic crap over and over again. If each time I blocked one, none of their future posts would show up in my feed, that would be wonderful.

I try not to even click on most anonymous questions, simply due to the crazy amount of trolling. But lots of times, someone that I'm following has responded. So I click on their answer, only to sigh and see that it's yet another anonymous troll question. And by now I've wasted that 2 minutes of my life. It also unfairly buries the legitimate anonymous questions by people that have a real reason for wanting to post anonymously.

Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity cannot. The latter is the group that I tend to block.

• People like you are the reason the block feature should be at the discretion of an admin after an unbiased review by a third party.

Why are you on the internet, if the slightest inkling of disagreement or negativity rustles your jimmies so much?

Has it ever occurred to you to use this magical thing you have called free will and IGNORE something you disliked instead of phasing it out of your life because your feels can't handle it?

How do you even function in the real world?

Do you walk around with "Blocked!" stickers in your pocket and slap them on the foreheads of anyone that "brings negativity" to your rosey coloured fantasy?

Please block me now, so I never have the displeasure of interacting with you in the future.

• I'm genuinely shocked you haven't pre-blocked me yet, considering my hands on blunt and rude approach to debates.

• First and foremost: Sorry to see how angry you are about the topic. Secondly, I stated I only block people when I feel the interaction is going to be uselessly negative. If somebody comes to your post and begins insulting you or others in the comments, I feel it's at the discretion of the person who posted the take or question to remove that negativity. You can disagree all you like, ma'am, but I don't feel the same way.

• well no, but you only get off on being negative.. haha.

• I mean I have nothing against blocking whoever you want but some people need to be talked to, regardless of their anger, sometimes you can open someone's mind.

I know it rarely happens but I just choose to not shelter myself from negativity, I would rather speak to them and against it.

But I do agree, some people beyond deserve it lol

• You make a solid point and I will keep it in mind.

• The negative people do get freaking exhausting on here though.

• I also find it funny that @iamyourneighbor has an issue with people blocking for simply not agreeing with her, when she blocked me for not agreeing with her on a Take once before lol. It's amazing how people can have certain views and not follow it themselves.

• The way I see it, unless you never ask an anonymous question and you never answer anonymous the people you block will never be able to respond. However, if you do answer anon sometimes or ask a question anon don't be surprised if someone you blocked will respond. I find no problem with blocking but What I find childish about blocking is that people will block someone because they are upset that the person will not agree with them after making their argument. Usually I have noticed that if a person's opinion starts to get challenged they block them. I see nothing wrong with blocking antagonistic people who call someone names and stuff. But a lot of users are way too sensitive on this website. I was blocked by someone because I did not find Channing Tatum attractive and I never antagonized them. But to be honest I don't want people like that in contact with me anyways. Someone else on here blocked me because I pointed out spelling errors in their Mytake even though I told them it was great

• I agree with you. I usually tend to avoid blocking so that I could have the last word, but occasionally it's just like talking to a wall with certain people. There are so many toxic gagers here, so many who lack common sense, so many who are just... Sick in the head. If I see someone who is showing signs of being a psychopath (lacking compassion), in addition to blocking (if they aren't anon) and reporting their posts, I also personally alert the admins. I've done this in the past with a potential pedophile, and I've recently done this about a guy who said he would cheer on if girls get circumcised (he said circumcised girls make for loyal wives)

• Well that's a totally valid reason to block users. Just avoiding drama before it starts. :)

• I blocked one girl because she was getting on my nerves. Lol šŸ˜”

• how many do you have blocked?

• ...
    Just wanted to check if I'm blocked šŸ™ˆ

• Nahh you're good.