Why Are You Anonymous?

Anonymous

Why Are You Anonymous?

I am a person who frequently goes Anonymous on GaG. It doesn't matter if the topic is a sensitive, personal, or devisive one, or just simply asking what color people prefer. I have yet to find a real reason to announce to the GaG world my name or to post a bunch of info into my profile for people I literally don't know. Just because you put up a screen name and some information about yourself, doesn't mean its true. I have no way of knowing in the same way you have no way of knowing if my own information would be true including a picture of myself or yourself. Since I don't see the point personally in lying about who I am, I just go Anon. I think people need to understand that it's your personal information, and you have a right to protect it or not expose it if you don't want to. Yes, this is a social media site open to the public, but they have also designed this site to recognize that people have a right to withold this personal information if they so chose from its viewers and commenters.

I do not understand why it is so many people find someone going Anon so hard to handle. Scrolling down the mytake list or the questions lists, you can see the pink or blue silhouettes that let you know, this person is Anon. Why then, if you hate Anon posts, do you go into that post and then rant and rave about how you hate or dislike Anon posts? Am I or others at that point supposed to go, my gosh, I'm so sorry, let me reveal myself and create a profile for you? These same people will then go post a take with a million different quotes and pictures from people they have no idea where they got it from, but in the same breath claim that they cannot comprehend or understand things written by Anonymous individuals.

Going Anon is the choice of the individual just as it is a choice whether you post with your screen name or picture. I think of it this way, if you were given a huge check to say pay off your mortgage, or your student loans, or fund your charity, or to buy something you really wanted, but the check giver was Anon, and only wanted to wish you well, would you reject that money simply because you didn't know who they were? It's the same with advice or takes. Knowing my name or how I look, unless perhaps I'm claiming to be an expert on something, is not going to make my words any more or less true or any more or less helpful than you percieve them to be. If I told you look both ways before you cross the street, is that advice any less helpful becuase you don't know who said it?

So simply put, I've altogether stopped addressing the angry mob set with their rantings and ravings about Anon posts, or their attempts to dismiss a take or question because they find it offessive to be Anon, or the ones screaming that everything I've writen makes no sense and isn't valid in any way because I'm Anon, and just continued to post as is. People will always have something to complain about or be frustrated about for no particular reason. Why should I allow someone else's problem about nothing, become my own.

Why Are You Anonymous?
30
18

Most Helpful Guy

• KDA20
    I definitely see where you are coming from I think what rattles the cages of most people is that the anon is abused but that said there are good anons as well. In an ideal world this would not be an issue there would be no bad anons who tarnish the names of good anons as much as they annoy other users. I think these rants are aimed at the power of anon and the opportunity to abuse it. I hope you understand what I am trying to say.
    Okay I fully accept your reasons for going anon but for example what I said yesterday in the other take. I found your take interesting, a well structured argument backed up by logical thoughts so I am going to myself I wonder what she has got to say about other things but I can't because you are anon. Just an observation not the end of the world.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• GirlsLie
    I agree with you and I pretty much never use Anonymous. The fact that is bothers so many people that you use it is really creepy to me. Why does it bother them and why are they so upset about it, to me they aren't right in the head if something so simple annoys them so much. Which is all the more reason for people like you to continue using Anonymous lol
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

1729
  • LittleSally
    The fault in your whole hypothesis is once you're online you're already anonymous...

www.somegif.com/gifs/1363588445823567319.GIF
    • Rawrzz

You don't know how the internet works.

• Anonymous

Being Anon on the web really isn't a thing which is why in a lot of court cases these days, the first thing they do is confiscate your laptop and contact your internet provider. Try really reading one of those contracts you must sign/agree to in order to use any social media site or even your own internet/phone provider. Somewhere in all that mumbo jumbo it lets you know, we are tracking you, we have a right to due to our terms and conditions, and we can submit what you do as evidence if need be. Even if you ditch the old laptop, they still have your records with your service provider. So this truly is the thinnest of veils, being so called Anon online. Even I know that as I live, breath, and typed this post!

• Hahaha I'm just talking about sites like this... Not in actual real life. o. O
      If you're anonymous on this site they can find you just as easily as they can if you aren't. Haha xD

• ALittleBlondeGirl
    People like to be anonymous because it gives them a false sense of security. It makes them feel hidden.
    • Anonymous

A false sense of security would mean that I thought by being Anon, everything was going to be great, but that it really wasn't and was actually a bad thing... which it's not. In either situation, whether you are Anon or not, you get the same amount of good/bad comments in relation to the topics/questions you ask.

• That's not what I meant. It's just by being anonymous, people feel like they're untouchable. Like they can bully or even threaten people online. Truth is, the police can track you down regardless if you're anonymous or not.

• Anonymous

Well, if that's your intention, then sure, but I don't go around bullying people or harassing people.

• Bea123
    I only go anonymous if it's a topic im not willing for other people to see on my profile. personally, i prefer going anonymous if something makes me uncomfortable to answer with my name and age or for whatever reason.
  • abacaxi84
    I tend to go anonymous for most sex and relationship questions that I ask, or respond to, because if I don't want to get creepy PMs. Also, if it's a controversial topic that tends to inspire vitriol from sanctimonious users, I will go anon.

If someone seems cool who responded to my anon question or comment then I am happy to reveal my G@G identity via PM.
  • RomansToPhilemon
    I wish less people, girls particularly, were less anonymous on this site. Especially when they answer a question I made. It feels more personal and lets you get an idea of who they are and why they answered the way they did. I also wish they would use a picture of themselves for their icon thing.
  • Paris13
    I have No Problem in Anyone going Anon here, dear, and it is One's Prerogative for their own Reason of the Season. I treat Everyone here the same with or without a name the same.
    As far as myself goes though, I Have Gone Anon a few times when it Might be a sore subject that I don't care to get into a pissing match over with some rover.
    Good luck and Nice Take. xx
  • DivaMonae
    I only go anonymous when I have something very personal to share.

However though it may not apply to you I often do say don't hide behind the anonymous button because many users abuse it. They say rude, ignorant things that they surely wouldn't if their identity was shown. Not to mention the fact that we're just on the internet it's not like we're in real life and can actually go after them or do something about it. So why be so chicken? Stand by what you have to say or don't say it at all.
  • BrieLove
    I'm not anonymous because i'm not a hacker... Duh.
    mitechnews.com/.../anonymous-psn-hacker.jpg
  • aegis_penguin
    I'm internet shy. Also, I'm afraid of being judged negatively if I show my fun side. I go anon when showing my fun side of my personality on GAG. Other times, I don't want to divulge private personal information about me.
  • rjroy3
    I've only posted anonymously on two occasions. Simply because the story I had wasn't just my story and the other people involved might want it to stay secret or at least anonymous, having no relation to them. So I posted an anonymous topic.

Other than that I'm of the mindset of, if you can't own up to what you have to say then you probably shouldn't say it.
    • Anonymous

Me asking a questions about your favorite music and the like isn't something I need to "own up to." Someone scared about something and writing anon because they are scared to reveal themselves for fear or ridicule or harassment isn't something someone needs to own up to. There are a lot of reasons I and others, as evidenced here, go Anon. Again, I wonder why the same people it seems always find an Anon post and complain about it when they've clearly read and understood what was written? You are no more misinformed or informed by reading Anon questions and posts if the content is clear and makes sense. Half of what is on the internet is written by an unknown, and you and everyone else accepts that.

• rjroy3

You clearly misread what my post said. It's a litmus test...

If it's not something that needs to be owned up to... then obviously it doesn't apply to you.

• rjroy3

You also misread my base idea altogether. Wasn't even complaining about you going anonymous. My statement was a monotone statement of this is why I've gone anonymous in the past and that other than situations of very sensitive subject matter "I" would not go anonymous. Because you should be willing to take shit for the things you say on the Internet.

That wasn't me talking about you specifically

• lolvicky16
    I anonymous because people don't usually respect an opinion from a 14 year old. And if I'm doing a rating I don't want a creepy thirty year old man who I gave a compliment to creeping on my page. You feel me? Oh I also gravitate towards controversial subjects.
  • I don't post my picture or anything like my last name and other social medias on here.
    So I feel pretty anonymous already
  • Prof_Don
    Not everyone wants EVERY SINGLE POST he or she puts you , to be traced back to their profile.

It's not a tough concept to understand.
  • DarkHumorRUs
    What (incriminating) personal information do you know about me? I never go anonymous.

I've got nipples--can you milk me?
  • Gooseman
    I frequently do not allow anonymous posts because I believe it's a cowardly way and if it's your opinion, have an opinion with pride. Also I will never give most helpful opinion to somebody who's anonymous no matter how good it is.
  • daintydollface
    I've only done it once and never to answer anything but to ask a question. And it was something I didn't want to stick hahaha.
  • Tonga
    cause I can... no jk, I am anontamus becuase some people think that I can't answer things just cause I am 13
  • serious
    No, I never go anonymous, I see no reason to do so. I can understand and eventually it's your choice to go anonymous or not.
  • Pinkbeauty
    I go anonymous sometimes because I want to avoid getting hate
  • pervertedjester
    As long as you don't identify yourself in your profile you are what you say you are online. So there is really no need to go anon.
  • croxy
    The only reason I see why I would go anon is to get unbiased opinions
  • KawaiiPie67
    I think being Anon is cool because nothing's attached to u. It's 100% ur opinion and no one can say ur biased or have a history.
    • Anonymous

Right! I think it actually allows people to focus more on the question/answer/opinion, than on who's saying it or what they've said in the past.

• Tiger288
    I can understand it ur choice but I have problem with anonymous people attacking and bully me it make me lose respect for them. I don't do anonymous question I'm keeping it real. Sometime I want go to their house and whip them jacka** but I can't.
  • orphan
    only time i'll read something from anon is when they're asking the question.
    • orphan

@asker

anons have no traceable history. w/o history, you're unaccountable for consistency. anon answers are can't be valued without somebody to hold accountable. hence why it's rare to see a serious in depth answer from an anon. they spew just as much bullshit if not more than a face. the only benefit is there responses are on the bottom, where they belong.

the only anon warranted is the asker.

• pavlove
    Be brave booo
  • Koldhearted
    cool, so what's the point of this take?
  • altair212
    dont post my logo without consent...
  • pewdiepie_
    I am not an "Anonymous".
  • jonathanDOE
    cool story bro...
  • APRU5
    No i stay named.
  • Anonymous
    Once I press submit, the information belongs to the internet, not me :D
    Having no identity skips a step, like I'm out of the equation to begin with; it's kind of like sacrificing a part of me to the internet. It just feels good.
  • Anonymous
    For me I go anonymous because so many people on this site get butt hurt over the personal opinion of others and then hold a grudge against them from there on out. If I was to answer future questions they may feel towards starting a debate with me purely because of one of my comments to their previous question. It's happened to me before. People hold unnecessary grudges on here which leads to unnecessary online beef which is just stupid.
    • Anonymous

so very true

• Anonymous
    Why do i choose to be anonymous? Because people can and often do misinterpret, misunderstand and sometimes even take offense to something you have said in all honesty and generosity. Someone asks for your honest and genuine opinion and i give it the best i can whilst being as kind and considerate as i possible can.

But people can still blow up - so that box down there V stays clicked. Unless the opinion give does not matter.
    • Anonymous

I most definitely agree. We can't really see emotions or read into what should be read into via the internet (so in a way, it is already Anonymous) so people do tend to blow up and say well you said this or that or you meant this or that, and its like, no, not at all, not trying to fight or argue, just giving an opinion.

• So going anon means people can't misinterpret, misunderstand and sometimes even take offense to something you have said in all honesty and generosity? Good to know

• Anonymous

@Dragonstarterplus No, it does not. It means that they cannot retaliate against a ''nobody''. If they know the person's name, they can virtually stalk them, beating them and their opinions for as long as they like. If they don't know the author's name, they can't do that.

• Anonymous
    So people can't block me just for disagreeing or saying something that they don't like.
  • Anonymous
    Because it's an option.
  • Anonymous
    I post things here 99% anonymously and I wholeheartedly agree with this mytake.
    It's exactly similar to The Lion King and Frozen debate. People complain Frozen is overrated but TLK is just as overrated.
    People like to find small, meaningless things to complain about.
    Heck, I live in Malaysia and I'm 15 years old but I could lie that I live in Iraq and I'm 95 years old.
    • Anonymous

I dont know about you but I ABSOLutely hate it when other people disallow anonymous opinions.

• Anonymous

and by the way. I have anxiety and I hate it when people disagree with me. So anonymous feature made me feel less scared posting my opinions ;)

• Anonymous
    Why go Anon? Simple: you want to say something without being attacked/harassed.

Cyberbullying is real. People will give you shit on the internet. One way to reduce this is to give no further clues to who you are. Not even maintaining a regular profile.

It's ironic. It used to be a somewhat popular thing during the late 90s/early 2000s to develop a web presence and become known within an internet community, forum, site, etc. But now I see it's more common to have people stay anonymous, avoid holding a web presence. Because now the internet is no longer as safe as it used to be.
    • Anonymous

Yes, that too is a huge part of it. Not everyone that goes Anon is a bully. Some want to actually be left alone by people that bully whether they are ones using their own SN or an Anon feature. It is not uncommon to see the same cyberbullies comment on one persons questions, follow them to another question and say, oh remember that last question you posted, (proceed to name call and fight).

• Anonymous
    this post contradicts itself
    " I have yet to find a real reason to announce to the GaG world my name or to post a bunch of info into my profile for people I literally don't know. Just because you put up a screen name and some information about yourself, doesn't mean its true."
    >Ok so if you believe that it is not true then what do you have against showing your username?
    "I have no way of knowing in the same way you have no way of knowing if my own information would be true including a picture of myself or yourself.
    Since I don't see the point personally in lying about who I am, I just go Anon."
    >yes we all know there is an anon feature, im using it right now, so what is your point?
    >ok i see your point, but you just pointed out in the beginning that it is possible that non anon users may be lying
    "I think people need to understand that it's your personal information, and you have a right to protect it or not expose it if you don't want to."
    >how is it personal if you believe that some non anon users may be lying about who you are
    "Yes, this is a social media site open to the public, but they have also designed this site to recognize that people have a right to withold this personal information if they so chose from its viewers and commenters."
    "I think of it this way, if you were given a huge check to say pay off your mortgage, or your student loans, or fund your charity, or to buy something you really wanted, but the check giver was Anon, and only wanted to wish you well, would you reject that money simply because you didn't know who they were? It's the same with advice or takes. Knowing my name or how I look, unless perhaps I'm claiming to be an expert on something, is not going to make my words any more or less true or any more or less helpful than you percieve them to be. If I told you look both ways before you cross the street, is that advice any less helpful becuase you don't know who said it?"
    >its not the anon feature that some people are annoyed with and no gag users randomly attack anon users, gag users do not like trolls, and the anon feature can be used to troll people, no one is saying that all anon users are bad. I think you are too sensitive. Not every anon user has good intentions. The admins know your real username anyways so in a way no one can truly be anon, if you violate a rule or troll too much, the admins will message your inbox because they know your account. This is common knowledge on gag. cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/44420735.jpg
  • Anonymous
    I just want to post and give my input (hopefully helpful) without any one knowing "Oh ok, it's you". I'd rather them take the advice, or not, because it was either good or bad for them. I don't want it to be bad, of course.

There was one guy I was trying to somewhat agree, but then offered a suggestion. He completely attacked me, calling me names, and then blocked me from that post. I wish he wasn't anon so I could have blocked him from me feed, because I actually ran into him three times. But, like you said, it is a choice.
  • Anonymous
    It's quite simple, everyone can read what I type. If I type something controversial or something that could place me in a bad light, at least it would only come back in a court when the admins blows my cover on purpose.

I don't want an employee or my mom to find out too much of my darkest secrets that I need someone to respond to on here.
  • Anonymous
    Mostly because I'm too shy :P
  • Anonymous
    I go Anon all the time because I don't want random people PMing me.
  • Anonymous
    I go anonymous because I don't like even little bit of attention from random persons. I see no reason to show 'anonymous online profile'. After all, most of profiles are anonymous with usernames and random pics anyway. By going anonymous I add further layer to filter out attention.
  • Anonymous
    I go anon 100% because I feel like I don't matter to anyone in real life or online. I kinda do the same thing in real life, I just try to stay invisible as much as possible. It's a terrible mentality but that's what low self esteem does to you I guess
  • Anonymous
    It's easier to quit when you're anonymous.
  • Anonymous
    We ur anoomymoose were r lesion we will forgive wi well not forgetting.

I remember when that used to be good. Times have changed though.
    And this is coming from a real anon.
    • DBAOracle

HAHA, I thought the same thing as soon as I saw the picture. I literally thought for a second she was asking about Anonymous the group..

• Anonymous

@DBAOracle you an oldfag?