Stop Degrading Minors' Opinions, or People Younger Than Yourself on GAG!

Watermelon15

We've all seen these comments on this website, when a 32 year old says: 'you dont even know about it, cause you're like only 24' or 'you don't have enough life-experience'. This comes in all shapes and sizes. And just like that, what was an awesome argument, got shut down immediately with a personal attack. This is so annoying to be receiving and to see others get. So let's put a stop to it.

Stop degrading minors' opinions, or people younger than yourself on GAG!

This is actually an issue, where I have been the bad guy. Yes you heard me - I've done this to another person - and I've come to realize, how much this actually is an issue. I didn't have a very good argument and I ended up saying it to a guy who was literally 4 years younger than me. Oh, I was petty alright. Lucky for me he was more mature than me and didn't say anything about it. I apologized, when I realized just how petty, I was being. And now I wanna fight, to stop this.

Younger people have a clever voice too

Yes, she's 16 years old and that means she can't give you dating-advice? She could know a lot about this, or she could just be a great advice-giver without personal experience. You don't know, who's behind that screen. Just let them speak their mind, and take the advice or not. You were the one who asked for help, so why are you complaining? You're getting help?

No, younger people aren't always more easily influenced by the bad things

They aren't some dumb creatures, who can be tricked into worshipping satan or anything? They're people, who might know exactly what helps with your problem. Of course young people have to 'find themselves' at some point, or what you'd like to call it - but do you honestly think it's a good idea to put it in their heads, that they aren't important and that no one wants to hear them? Reality-check: It's not a good idea.

This actually makes you look unintelligent

When people see your name around GAG posting stupid, age-insulting comments, who do you think are going to listen to you in the future? Maybe your mom, but no one else will.

Just because you are frustrated and don't have a good comeback, don't be petty

Honestly, this was something we did in kindergarden.

James: I wanna play with the swing now

Fred: No I'm 4 years old and and 3 quarters. You're only 4 years and 2 months. That means I'm in charge. Go play with Betty

Sidenote: Simon Cowell agrees

And parents: This is what happens when you teach your kids that adults are superior to them, no matter what;

When a child learns that adults are always right, and you should do whatever they say, they don't form their own opinions in life. Guess what, If an adult comes over to them and say 'I'm not touching you inappropriately, this is alright, just trust me. This will be our little secret okay?' what are they gonna do? You taught them always to listen to adults, right? Then this could happen. And guess what, these kids are more likely to supress their own children one day, so yay that. And yay the rest of the world who will get their supressive, age-insulting comments here on GAG and god knows what other websites this happens on. So be careful, what you teach your children.

So GAG'ers, just don't play the age-card. You aren't winning any points with it, other than wasting everyone's time, including your own. Admit your loss of the discussion and deal with it. And you know what people will give you in return?

R
E
S
P
E
C
T

Happy GAG'ing in the future:)

- written by Watermelon15

39
10
10Girl Opinion
39Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Girl

• lumos

Nice take, I agree. I've been on this site since I was around 16-17 years old. I've given tons of relationship advice to people, that many have appreciated and picked as MHO. Got into my first real relationship last year. Inexperience =/= ignorance.
    Only a handful of times have I side-eyed a younger person's response, but usually that's based on the fact that it seems like they really don't have any idea what they're talking about. I don't really check someone's age until I've actually finished reading their opinion. And likewise, I've seen a great deal of stupid and immature posts on here, written by people who are much older than I am.

Like 4 People
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

• Unit1

I never understood any of those jackasses acting like it. Never will.

I do not tolerate ageism in any form. I am speaking from first hand experience.

But this was a brilliant take!
    I especially agreed the most with
    "This actually makes you look unintelligent"
    and
    "And parents: This is what happens when you teach your kids that adults are superior to them, no matter what"

I often felt like I know better than my parents... and in the end I did.
    Such shaming is really the low-end thing that only assholes do practice.

Like 2 People
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

938
  • MarkRet

I've never put down younger people. They might have something very interesting to say. I've never walked in their shoes, and they could be a hundred times smarter than me. Sometimes it's the other way around. I've had the 'old guy' insult thrown at me on occasion.

Like 4 People
    Reply
    • Unit1

Don't worry about it! You're cool, no matter your age friend :)

• Exactly - Thankyou guys, this is exactly my point:)

• Chico_brah

Well this is true but only to an extent. To be honest I'm not going to be taking any advice from a 16 year old on here ahaha. Younger people tend to have less experience and that's just sort of logic. Having said that, it's not be considered a determining factor of whether or not the advice is still good and valid.

I think the opinions should speak for itself. If someone older has to tell you that you have less experience than them in attempt to prove their point, then they didn't have much solidity in what they are saying. If they did have any solidifying points, then they would be able to articulate their opinions without raising attention to the fact that they are older than you. If they say they are older, then they are trying to condensed you and say that their point transcends yours just simply because. That's a ridiculous concept.

It's as if they the older they are, the more justification they deserve. I know people who are twice my age that are utter pieces of shit. Everyone has their own life experiences and are entitled to their perspective.

Like 2 People
    Reply
  • Curmudgeon

I do try not to be condescending, because I want to be helpful and I want my advice to be taken and not disregarded.

But in all too many questions and MyTakes froom teenagers on G. A. G., I can't help but think, "Been there, did that..." Because I have.

Like 3 People
    Reply
    • That's fair enough to think those things, we all do I guess - Im only talking about not using it as an argument to why they are wrong:)

• BackToBlackkkkk

I disagree with you on some level and I'm 18, three years younger than you. I think adults have more life experience and they have plenty of good advice to give on GAG. Most of the minors (but I repeat not all) on here are really dumb and shallow, let's be honest here. I know I was once a dumb minor too. 16 year olds can give dating advice as much as they want on GAG but that doesn't mean their advice will be stronger than a 26 year old's who had several relationships and has been through all the difficulties in a a relationship, the breakups, and the heartbreaks, whatnot. In my opinion, the users on here who are 21 and older typically give the best advice on here. And guess what? The brain's frontal lobes don't even mature until the age of 25!

I agree with you that intelligence and age aren't correlated. There are smart 15 and 16 year olds on here who have written impressive mytakes and show a passion for learning. There are some really stupid 40 year olds on here who think they're smarter than everyone else when they're really just basement dwellers with no life, have skewed views about the world, or have mental illnesses.

BUT experience and age ARE correlated! Experience is such an important factor for giving advice. Adults have typically had more relationships than the young person who's still trying to figure stuff out--what they like and what they expect in a relationship.

My parents are actually strict and traditional. Yes, sometimes it's annoying and I get in arguments with them but sometimes I am GRATEFUL for it because they have kept me safe from dangerous situations where I could've gotten killed, assaulted, who knows what. Curfews are there for a reason and I appreciate when my parents ask which friends I'm going out with and what time I'm coming back home because that really shows how much they CARE about me!

Like 1 Person
    Reply
    • You have a lot of great points. And I do agree with you, I am jut saying if you feel like the minor's advice isn't good just choose not to take it, instead of saying they don't know anything, which you generally dont know if this particular minor does, just because many doesn't.

You get what I mean?:) Thanks for forming this response in a non-agressive way, like a lot of people do

• JustinTheGreat

I think there's been a couple times I'm here where something I said wasn't taken seriously because of my age.
    I'm also the youngest out of all my siblings so when we're talking sometimes I feel they don't listen to me because I'm young.
    Its annoying

Like 2 People
    Reply
    • My siblings are 3 and a half year older than me. They are twins. Everytime we discuss something they go ' wow you're immature. or 'you dont even know, cause you're so young'

• ScottSummers

I agree, when someone does not have arguments they attack your age to try to discredit your opinions.
    Iam 22 but i never go anon for one reason and thats age. When i go anon Its says 45+ so people often try to offend me or discredit my opinions thinking iam old.

Like 3 People
    Reply
  • Browneye57

How 'bout stop thinking you are as experienced and wise as people twice your age?

And then you whine about it too? pfft

This is why no one takes you seriously. And we have fifteen year olds on here trying to give relationship advice. Riiiiight...

LikeDisagree 7 People
    Reply
    • One might not be as experienced as someone older, but then it is the youngters responsibility to think that they might not actualy now anything and then choose not comment, but if they choose to comment, you dont know if they actually know anything about it or not, so you dont get to tell them if they do. And you don't know whether or not it is because of their age. You can just choose not to follow their advice, if you don't like it, or simply say you disagree.

• Browneye57

LOL. Made me laugh.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
      — ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

• Why? Just because you dont have any other argument to strike back with? I've noticed around GAG that you literally use the age-card on everything and everyone. Where ever you can squeeze it in, you will. But truth is, being 60 can just as often mean not nothing anything about nowadays things, that youngster not knowing about grown-up-things can mean.

• lovelyhoneybones

The only time I have someone bring in my age is when they're losing an argument, and then I just flip the script on them. It's sad, but I've proven people in their 70's wrong, just because they were being ignorant and thought they were right because of their age. It only makes you look dense when you are proven wrong by someone who is probably younger than your great grandchild.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • Ghassan2

I hate when people here talk like they are somehow can't be wrong just because they are older than me. Whenever I crush someone with facts or common sense, they say stuff like : you're not gonna understand now or it's not worth it to convince you or you're brainwashed.

Like 4 People
    Reply
  • zagor

I agree. Just because someone is young doesn't invalidate their perspective. My 10 year old nephew is very insightful.

By the same token, some people on here disregard people because they are 40, 50 or older, so it goes both ways.

Like 2 People
    Reply
  • Lopezz1999

Reading this entire myTake actually kept a big smile on my face lol. Totally agree with what you've said! No hard feelings though!😁

Like 2 People
    Reply
    • Yea - You were that guy I did this to, but you know that :D I thought the message had to get out, just surprised how many angry people that comment on mytakes though :D I never realized :D

• Lopezz1999

Oh trust me, many will comment on triggering myTakes like this or my own that got you to comment lol. It all goes down to others and their personal views/experiences, and if you've written a myTake that people are likely to disagree on, well people are gnawing be pissed 😂

• Hahaha I know :D I wrote my first two myTakes two days ago with 2 hours in between and they both got promoted and featured on the homepage after an hour :D I guess gag thought they were so good

• GoodGuyBreakingBad

Thank you for sharing with us. Yes cause ones young doesn't mean
    they don't know what their talking about. I agree 100% with you. :D

Like 2 People
    Reply
  • kespethdude

Just an observation that I personally have seen, but I have actually noticed most of the members who posted quality stuff on this site were actually younger than me. But in the long run, it's the quality that matters, not the age. A 16 year old with a great article gets more respect from me than a 60 year old who goes on an unintelligable rant about "those kids".

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • goaded

Agree 100%.

At the other end of the scale, I've been told here that I'm old and soon to die; it doesn't bother me that much but it's just stupid.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
    • Exactly - My take was supposed to go to the other way around too - dont judge people that are older either, just because of their age.

I really appreciate your comment, I seem to be getting a lot more negativity than expected :D

• RyanEC

Thats true. If an older person has been stupid their whole life they are likely stupid now. But someone can also be really smart at 15 and have more intelligence then someone who is 50.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • samhradh_leannan

I do agree with you for the most part. But there are times when age and experience do lend more perspective and knowledge on certain topics.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
    • I fully agree with that. But the fact that the people responding to this don't actually know who has knowledge and perspective and who doesn't, they simply can't label youngsters in generel on having nothing to say at all. Just because you are 60 years old doesn't mean you have tried everything in the world, same as if you are 17 you might as well HAVE tried everything in the world. No one knows, and since you don't know, you don't get to tell other people if they know, what they are talking about or not

• You get what I mean?

• Yeah, and I agree. I occasionally come across an answer from a younger user that does make me think the user is inexperienced and immature and that it might be influencing their opinion. But half the time, answers that strike me as immature or ignorant are actually coming from users who are older than I am.

• MrMysteryMan

Age should never be viewed as an accurate reflects of experience or intelligence. Intelligence and experience is learned and somewhat found. It just doesn't come naturally all the time.

Like 2 People
    Reply
  • John_Doesnt

I'm supposed to take a 13 year old girl's advice about my dick seriously? No thanks. I'll stick to judging people by age.

LikeDisagree 5 People
    Reply
    • Then just say nope I don't like your advice or 'are you sure you know what you are talking about? Im just wondering' - simply dont take her advice instead of go all cocky

• Zumber

Age is experience on the face of it. I'm 48 and John is 26. Tell me, who has more experience in life. They say you should listen to your parents they have your best interests in most cases and they know more than you. Well... it's true.

• @Zumber It's true that older people mostly have more experience in life - but still, I dont think people should just close their ears to younger people, just because they 'think' they dont know

• I-am-a-nobody

A man's brain isn't usually fully formed until 23 sometimes as late as 27 as corroborated somewhat at:
    www.npr.org/.../story.php?storyId=141164708
    Women mature a couple years earlier, but a young adult (18-24) simply has less knowledge, wisdom and experience. I agree we need to respect the words of others to a degree, but sometimes what they're saying is dead wrong and I won't bend over backwards to validate their erroneous ideas.

My time around GaG has only supported my belief that wisdom generally comes with age. On the other hand, I will admit that some "kids" like @Phoenix98 are wise beyond their years.
    (Even if he DOES let his hair grow too long, sometimes.)

Like 1 Person
    Reply
    • I agree with you. And when a young person says something stupid, be sure to let them know, but dont play it on their age? You dont know if they do know what they are talking about, you can just say you really, really disagree.

• Phoenix98

Lol I'm keeping it shorter these days.

• @Phoenix98
      Do you go to church regularly?

• Phoenix98

Maybe if most of the minors I've encountered on here actually knew what they were talking about and had the knowledge and experience to back it up, then I wouldn't have to.

The realistic fact is kids are to young for some things and lack the knowledge to back up what their saying and the experience to justify it.

Whether you like it or not a full grown adult with years of life experience, smarts who is educated and has been around the block will know more then a child.

That's life whether you like it or not an your rant isn't going to change that at all.

Like 2 People
    Reply
    • In some scenarios that is true - but not all. And you shouldn't look down on a minor just because of their age. Some people know exactly, what they are talking about and you would listen to them, if it wasn't for that age thing we see next to their name.

• Phoenix98

More like most, sorry but that's just how it is, yes there will be the odd example of the opposite being the case but most of the time it isn't.

• But if only most of the time it is true, how do you predict if that specific one is or not? You don't, so why throw one after their age in the first place? Why not simply say you disagree or choose not to follow their advice?

• Show More (27)
Community of trusted and anonymous friends where girls and guys help each other.

Click the button below to add your opinion now!