Sign This 'We the Users of GAG Want an Edit Feature Added' Petition?

AmandaYVR
Sign This We the Users of GAG Want an Edit Feature Added Petition?

GAG Creators/Designers/Developers do not believe giving users the capability to edit is a good idea. I do not know why. I asked them about this, and this was their response:

"We currently do not allow editing to prevent trolling on the site."

I have thought about this for a long time, and I still don't know what they mean by this. I'm sure they have reasons, and clearly do not want to disclose them, but I cannot figure them out. I have chatted with several people about this and no one has been able to come up with a reason(s) that make sense. Especially as we have the capability to delete others' comments on our own questions, but not our own comments.

What specifically could be the potential downfall to providing it? I'm open to and enjoy analyzing the design and thinking behind many things. If you have some ideas about what they feel the negative repercussions might be, please comment below.

At first I thought it could be because it would disrupt the conversation threads and some comments would not make sense if the preceding ones were later altered or deleted. (Sequencing problem.) But then I discussed this with someone very familiar with many other social media sites, and he said they could notate it to say "Edited" or it could be an additional post added to the bottom of that same comment, instead of replacing the original words, or having to add a new separate message.

I know many of you want this feature. If for no other reason, having a bunch of typos can be annoying and look sloppy. I usually just leave them and don't bother noting them afterwards, but I see that some people do write a correction with a "*..." and this is one way to handle it, though it does create some extra bloat down the page. But clearly, many people do care about their writing and being clear and understood.

Now to be clear - We should ONLY be allowed to edit our own comments, NOT those of any other user. That is not even a question, in my mind.

So this is partly a joke, but partly serious...

"We, the Users of GAG, promise to behave ourselves, and act responsibly and fairly, if you grant us the right to edit our own content that only we have written. We believe it is our human right, and is in keeping with social media internet industry standards.

We also promise not to act like a bunch of wild, misbehaving, drunken monkeys, with no manners whatsoever. Or llamas who spit on people. Or hippopotamuses who haven't yet eaten their lunch and think they own the entire pond. Or a pack of cackling hyenas on acid who run around the Serengeti laughing and howling in the dark. Or geese. Just geese. Or any bunch of stark raving lunatics drunk on power. And if we ever get the 6 Infinity Stones, we will not decimate half the world's population. Cause that would be wrong. Probably.

We admit that sometimes we are fools who get carried away, get ahead of ourselves, get mad, and say some crazy **** and we would like the chance to make amends and correct the error of our ways.

Oh, and curse these miniature mobile phone keyboards and our fat fingers, and bad eyes. We know not what we type.

Please, Magic Fairy, Oh Mighty God, Deus ex Machina, Omnipotent One, grant us this one wish."

Sign the petition if you like...

Pretty please. By Dua Lipa

Drunken Monkeys, St. Kitt's, West Africa

39
9
9Girl Opinion
39Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Girl

• Smashingdoozy

I suppose some people could write the description of a question to be one thing that people would agree with and then change it to something else after people have written "I agree with you"

I assume this is what they mean by trolling. However I think it would be a good feature in case any mistakes are missed while typing the opinion/mytake

Like 4 People
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

• Lliam

I am one of those who is driven nuts when I post something only to discover a typo.
    Facebook allows editing and I utilize that feature on occasion after rereading things I post. I don't do it to change the meaning of my post, but to add, clarify or edit.

So I vote in favor of allowing an edit option on GAG.

Like 2 People
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

838
  • N192K001

Yes, I agree. I'm signing!

Perhaps, the solution to abusive, deceptive edits would be an error-log or a 'see the original' option near the post, with the changes made obvious.

Like 4 People
    Reply
  • Thisperson98

I wish they an edit feature. There is a lot I wish they would add or fix, like the security vulnerability that I told them 4 years ago about.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • ArrowheadSW

An "Edit" feature would be nice. There was another board that I was on years ago, that allowed editing only for so long after posting. They didn't want people changing their original post much later to something that it didn't start out being, after people commented on it. This timeframe that they gave allowed for correction of typos and such or the chance to delete it.

Like 2 People
    Reply
    • AmandaYVR

Yeah a limited timeframe would be a reasonable compromise.

• Regmorus

Well, for discussions in comments it could be very inconvenient. Some could change their comments to say afterwards: well, but I totally didn't say that! My edit was just for a typo. Or so. That could be a major concern.

I see advantages and disadvantages in both models. But since you asked, why not, that could be one reason to consider to me.

Like 2 People
    Reply
    • AmandaYVR

Being able to edit, say directly below, without altering the original post would seem a good compromise.
      It's a difficult thing to administer, technically. Typos would clean things up, but that would also allow changes of mind, I realize.
      I just know that many other major social media sites do allow it, so it is feasible. I think it is too rigid the way it is now.

• They should give option to delete our own comments at least

• NYCQuestions1976

Where's the "Stop The Abuse Of The 'Anonymous' Feature" petition?

"Users should only be able to post four Anonymous comments/opinions/replies per day and post one Anonymous question/poll/Take per week."

That's the one I want to sign.

LikeDisagree 3 People
    Reply
    • AmandaYVR

Sounds good. I'd sign it.
      There are some pinks who post every single comment etc. automatically as anon. No wonder we see so many.

• I think you got down voted by an anonymous user. ha ha

• Liam_Hayden

Edit would be great. Even if it were limited to five minutes. I often think faster than I type and leave parts of the thought out of the post, sometimes leaving something so incoherent that it looks like the transcript of a statement made by Joe Biden.

Like 6 People
    Reply
  • stuntbrain

User editing would undoubtedly be abused to a point of eliminating any legitimate debate. In an environment of ever-changing statements, no opinion would be held to question because of the feature's retroactive nature. Many have specific preventative ideas but lack evidence supporting this site's willingness to develop constructive growth, or at the very least, effectively manage their own TOS policy. An edit feature would set a final nail in the GaG coffin

Like 2 People
    Reply
    • AmandaYVR

You're being too definitive. It doesn't need to be all or nothing.

I am still working this through, in my head, but reading others' comments here, here is what I would propose so far:

1. No editing of titles
      2. The ability to delete one's own comment (if Askers can delete a comment, why not the writer of the comment?)
      3. An 'Edited' notation, directly below the original comment - not as a new, different, sequential message window in the string, but tacked on to the comment itself. This would keep the original intact, but add on
      4. A strikethrough situation. They use this in journalism sometimes. The edited words would have a strikethrough, and replacements next to, or below them
      5. An immediate, short window timeframe in which to edit the post one just made. This would eliminate the typo issue.
      6. The opportunity to edit one's own comment, up until there is a reply to it. If no replies, edit capability continues.

I'm sure there are even more ways to administer/design this.

• stuntbrain

I can easily support your proposals 2 and 4, but none of this addresses GAG's historical ineptitude

• stuntbrain

What would protect your thoughtful reply from my ability to go back and reframe my position instead of offering this comment?

• dianagirl

I don't understand why it wasn't always an option. If other forums can do it, I'm sure GAG can do it, too.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
    • AmandaYVR

Yeah. GAG claims it will increase trolling, but as you say other forums do it. It's just a matter of how to execute it properly. I think some people miss the point - it doesn't have to be all or nothing. (No title edits, for instance.)

• DiscomfortZone

How about a "we the user of gag want admins to act fair and enforce the rules on everyone, not just against those who disagree with the admin's underaged whores" petition? Nah, that would be too much to ask for, I know.

Like 2 People
    Reply
    • AmandaYVR

I've never experienced this, but ok, I know others have. Fair point.

• Depends a lot on your attitude towards confrontations. I personally like to point fingers when I see shit that bothers me, and it appears certain female users have admins to back them up unquestionably. That's not how things should be.

• HawkPerception

The only things that should be able to be changed are small typos. I like that they haven't incorportated editing, because people can change their messages entirely. If you make a comment, you should always think about what you say before posting it. Then when someone makes proves you wrong, it's just cowardly to edit it and say you didn't say it rather than admitting you were wrong.

Like 2 People
    Reply
  • ManOnFire

They listened when I asked for it for Takes. Which is rare. But we do have that editing feature back for Takes.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • coachTanthony

----------------Allow me to edit or delete. That is all I ask. You choose GAG. I will take either one!

Like 4 People
    Reply
  • MarkRet

If they’re worried about trolling, then maybe the edit option could be for those who have a proven track record and have something like an Xper 6 or above.

Like 2 People
    Reply
    • llorando

Or better yet, you haft to submit a edit request, if approved mod (s) make the edit.

• Jjpayne

I think I got it! Amanda.

Let's say I go. "Blank" user is sexy and I want to bump and grind her until my guy part is in her. ...

And your like whoa! Report! Gag hello, this guy right here.

Edit! "Blank" user is smart and I want to talk and get to know her until I understand her better.

Whoa! Hold on. B. S.! that's is not what that said a moment ago!

That's I think the kind of trolling they are talking about. Now it's possible that edits only occur after a 24 hour period first but I think that's the problem they are referring too

Like 4 People
    Reply
    • yaranzo

Couldn't they just store the previously edited text on their end? Then admins just check to see if they edited from there. Wouldn't be that hard.

• Jjpayne

@yaranzo if that was an option to do so of course

• thisisausername9999

there should be a petition for a multitude of changes as a complete update. this site has been falling behind for the longest.

Like 1 Person
    Reply
    • AmandaYVR

Well sure but one thing at a time. Complex issues have to be broken down into the individual components.

If other people have issues with the tech, they should write about and propose alternatives. Otherwise gag won't know what it's important to users.

• then we can just make a poll. I believe in the developers to handle this.

• spartan55

This is something I am definitely in favor of. I like @ArrowheadSW 's suggestion for a brief edit time after posting just for quick edits, fixes.

Like 2 People
    Reply
  • Anpu23

I'm all for this as long as previous edits are available as an archive. The concern is that someone will write something like "Who here likes eating ice cream" and after a bunch of people say "me me!"
    They then edit the words "ice cream" to "poo". Or even something more sinister or disruptive. Also if the OP can edit, then the responder should be able to remove their comment because they don't want to be associated with the new question or MyTake. I can see why it's easier for them to just not do it. It could be used as an abusive tool, and set a bunch of people up for hate.

Like 2 People
    Reply
    • AmandaYVR

Yeah I thought about that. But not being able to edit the title/question/header is totally acceptable. If one can't avoid typos in those few words... well -.

• Kezzz

I'd love to edit a question after I post it. Correct typos and add things I may have missed. Especially on polls when I miss an option. That would be a helpful feature.

Like 3 People
    Reply
  • Bearzerk

Signing this. My dumb thumbs break my grammar a lot. And edit feature would allow me to fix that shit.

Like 2 People
    Reply
  • Show More (26)