No Gym, No Problem! Home Workout Tips

So as some of you may know, I've been on a fitness journey. I'm down 42 pounds and counting. People always ask me what I did and I just tell them that I changed my diet around and started working out regularly. I almost always get the same response to that, "I can't afford the gym." Guess what? Neither can I! If my friend wasn't going that day, then I couldn't go either. I got tired of that, so I started working out from home. I just wanted to share a few of my home workout exercises/tips with y'all. Read on!

Utilize Your Stairs

No Gym, No Problem! Home Workout Tips

I have a love/hate relationship with stairs. Going up and down stairs is a great way to work your legs out though. You can walk, run and even skip stairs (be careful!). I usually count one up and one down as one set. I try to do at least 50 of them each day which essentially means that I'm going up and down 100 times. The most I've done in a day was 100 sets. My legs hated me the next day, but it was worth it! You'll definitely feel the burn, but you'll also notice that the more you do them the more toned your legs become. My legs are big, but pretty solid. And guess what? This counts as cardio!

Squats! Squats! Squats! Everybody!

No Gym, No Problem! Home Workout Tips

Here's an exercise that you can do just about anywhere. The key is to make sure you're doing them correctly. It helps to use a chair if you're having trouble. You're feet should be lined up with your shoulders and slightly pointed outward. Keeping your back straight but not too straight is key. I put my arms out in front of me for balance. When squatting, your knees should stay lined up with your toes. Also make sure your core is tight. As I mentioned above, you can use a chair to let you know when to end the squat. Once your but touches the chair slightly you can begin to come back up. You shouldn't be fully sitting though, your butt should just be grazing the chair. And those are just regular squats. There are others such as squat jumps, squat holds and squats with weights. It's a pretty standard exercise that works multiple parts of the body. So get to squatting!

Jumping Jacks, Sit Ups, and Push Ups, Oh My!

No Gym, No Problem! Home Workout Tips

These are normal exercises that you learn in grade school. And like squats, these are exercises that you can do just about anywhere. Jumping jacks are great cardio exercises that work your legs, arms and core. Sit ups can be done a number of ways and help with the ever so hard tummy area. And push ups work the arms and core too. I have a hard time with push ups due to the fact that I can't lay my hands flat, so I don't really do those. In place of the push ups, I purchased a resistance band. There are a ton of different exercises that you can do with this band that target your arms. And guess what? It was only $5! You can't beat that.

Now besides doing the above mentioned things, there are a few other major contributing factors to my current weightloss that I want to talk about. If you have an Xbox this just might spark your interest!

Active 2

No Gym, No Problem! Home Workout Tips

This is a fitness game for Xbox 360. It was given to me, but I think it runs you around $40. It's so worth it though! The game has 2 programs, 3 weeks or 9 weeks. I chose the 9 week program. They have easy, medium and hard levels of intensity. I chose hard because I had no idea what I was getting into lol. You choose from a male or female trainer. You enter your stats and all. During the 9 weeks you're working out 5 days a week doing all different kinds if exercises. Everyday you start with 4 warm up exercises. Then you go right into the workout which consists of between 18-20 different exercises. You end with 4 cool down exercises. From squats to running to lunges to boxing and everything in between. They even have step aerobics! The range of exercises is great. And it's actually very challenging. The further along you go, the more repetitions of each exercise you do. Towards the end of the program I remember having to do repetitions of 90 squat jumps. Sometimes twice! It's definitely not a cakewalk. And you're wearing an armband that monitors your heart rate and tracks the calories burned. It's really a great game and well worth the money.

ZumbaNo Gym, No Problem! Home Workout Tips

I often see people talking bad about Zumba. They say it's not effective in weight loss or they compare it to weight training, pretty much calling those that do Zumba weak. Well let me tell you, they're wrong! When I first started out on this journey, Zumba was my only form of exercise. I brought Zumba Fitness Rush for the Xbox and did that 6 days a week. Started out with the easy class which was 25 minutes long and consisted of 5 songs. Quickly changed to the medium class which is an hour long and consists of 11 songs. You don't realize it because you're dancing and having fun, but it burns A LOT of calories. Why? Because you're constantly moving. You get maybe 15-30 seconds between songs. That's it. There's no band to monitor you, but it picks up your movements and let's you know how you're doing. My first 20lbs were lost by changing my diet and doing Zumba for an hour 6 days a week. So I just laugh when I hear people talking bad about it becaus it definitely works!

I know this is a bit on the lengthy side, but I just wanted to possibly motivate people and let you guys know that the gym is not the only place to workout. I'm a big fan of walking/jogging around the track in my area. It costs nothing to go for a walk. It can be done. With determination and willpower, IT CAN BE DONE. You have to want to do it for yourself though. I'm not a fitness expert. I'm still going through the journey and learning new things. Everyone's different. This is what worked for me. It could work for you too. You'll never know unless you try! 💪💪💪

As always, stay classy GaGers! See you guys on the threads! 😎✌

No Gym, No Problem! Home Workout Tips

1623
CHARismatic110 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• You can definitely lose weight without spending a penny! Have people not come across the many fitness channels so readily available on their TVs? I have a 30 minute full body cardio workout saved and I do that for my exercise - it burns calories and tones almost every muscle, including the difficult ones. I also have a free app on my phone, full of exercises. You don't need to go to the gym to get results! Go for a jog in the open air, it's all free! Having no money isn't an excuse!

Congrats on your weight loss by the way. Keep it up! 😊 Those xbox games sound intense!

• Yeah seriously! There's so much free fitness stuff out there. But thank you and thanks for reading!

The Xbox are hella intense, but they work!

Most Helpful Guy

• I too avoid the gym, all that a guy needs is a pair of dumbbells and of course mother nature lol to build lean muscle. I was an obese guy (like 35-40% boyfriend probably) till a couple of years back, right now i am at around 15%bf. The ultimate goal is to reach 8-10% and am quite confident I will be there in the next 1.5-2 years. I would like to add that its essential not to suddenly try and change your diet overnight and to take the process slow if u want to avoid loose skin or seeming malnourished.

• Congrats on your weight loss! Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely keep them in mind.

• don't drop under 8-10% is my advice. It takes quite a lot to drop further, and usually that "quite a lot" includes malnutrition. In fact, body builders are starving themselves in the month (s) befor the big competitions to get their muscles toned. Just an FIY

But congratz on getting fit. not everyone can brag about that improvement :)

• thank you dartmaul :) and yes the 8-10% is what looks ideal, lean, athletic and not too much. Under that is actually unhealthy

Join the discussion

1522
  • I love this! Since I started working out, it's mostly been at home or outside since I don't have the money or the time to invest in joining a gym. As you know, I live in a very rural area so there's tons of space for me to run and workout outside which has been great. I'm also so proud of you for the progress you have made! Keep up the good work, your motivation has definitely been an inspiration to me :)

• in my opinion, home exercises are the best, cause it doesn't get you super bulky, but it does get you lean, not too ripped, just perfect.
    Obviously you can also get this body at the gym, but what I'm trying to say is that just with what is considered home exercises, you can get the best body, also if you eat healthy, you can't spend 2 hours doing an exercise and right after you finish eat a whole pizza xD

• Ehh that's alright for losing weight but there is no substitute for a proper gym especially if your a bodybuilder like me and need all of that equipment. And If I can't make it to the gym for some reason then I have a backup, gym equipment I made and welded together and bought.

• Great take. I definitely need to get active again. Since the semester ended, I haven't been doing much. I love squats though :) I use to do them all the time, it was a habit to brush my teeth and squat haha, So, thanks for your take. It's motivated me to get active. And thanks for the suggestions.

• Those fucking stairs
    That, my childhood jump rope team, and genetics gave me fat calves 😭😭

I tried zumba but I'm so uncoordinated that I fuck up all the moves and start free styling lmaooo

• Lmao hey, as long as your moving. And I miss Jumping double dutch. It was a huge part of my childhood.

• If I'm watching television (otherwise my most inactive activity), whenever a song of any sort starts playing, I get up and dance to it. I like putting on childrens shows when I've got a lot to do because you can leave the room or get distracted and still have a laugh when you get back -between that and commercials, it's a lot more movement than you'd think.

• People underestimate dancing! It burns calories like crazy because you're constantly moving. There are days where I'll turn on music and dance around for hours. I put my calorie tracker on one day and was surprised at how many calories I had burned from being my normal goofy self lol.

Thanks for reading.

• Agree 100% can't afford a gym then turn your house into a private gym. :) What I normally do is watch fitness blender for workout ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay7P8OAblh8https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBHBhvv-Lhg

• CONGRATS ON LOSING 42 POUNDS OMG. Please keep it up girl! I am sure that you look great!

And great take :D

• I agree, there is a lot you can do at home. Especially cardio wise.

But strength wise, eventually you'll need equipment. I find it very hard to find home lower body exercises using no equipment that are challenging

• Congrats on the weight loss, keep it up! It's always good to see people going out of their own way to learn about fitness. Remember aerobic activities burn fat more efficiently than anaerobic activities, and a cold glass of water when you wake up will boost your metabolism for the day. Keep up the great work, you've got a new follower :)

• I will def try the cold water thing. I appreciate the kind words! Thank you so much!

• Keep up the good work Char!!! You're a fucking rock star! !!!

• I always feel like I'd have to go somewhere after working out and I wouldn't have time to shower so I'd be all sweaty and stuff. Which is kinda why I gave up on it.

But would you say this is better than weight lifting if I wanna burn fat?

• I'm not too familiar with lifting and all. @Consultant could probably help you in that category.

• I highly recommend for everyone to get a gym membership.
      However, Char seems to be killing it doing her at home routine so I'd encourage her to keep it up.

• Buying pull up bars for door frames is also a good idea. Alternate between chin ups and pull ups to work the back, arms, chest, and a little core and they aren't all that expensive for the amount of improvement you can gain from it.

• It is my goal to be able to do a pull up. one day! They look so easy but are so hard.

• Yeah when I was little I couldn't do any. Just do a bunch of pushups and work your way up to chin ups. Chin ups are much easier than pull ups.

• A very beneficial MyTake! Who needs the gym? No one! Work out fer free!!! :)

• I do workouts with fitnessblender on YouTube. Working out with them, I've learned how to create my own little workout when I don't want internet around. So many crazy things you can do with bodyweight alone!

Keep up the fitness journey!

• Awesome ideas, I work out at home all the time. We use youtube videos a lot, I get my niece to do them with me sometimes to calm her down because kids are so hyper lol.

• Cool now I am gonna enjoy playing my video games and eating whatever I want I don't care what people think about my body congrats on the weight loss though I can never lose that much weight the most I've lost is like 9-10 pounds.

• Congrats on your weight loss. It's hard for me to stay committed working out from home and need the gym to stay motivated. Kudos to you.

by the way. "The only bad workout is the one that did not happen" - Kevin Levrone

• I like these guys, they explain things clearly and well. The light comic effect is nice
    https://www.youtube.com/user/buffdudes

• Honestly, The Gym is well worth the Investment. You can do 100000x more things in a Gym then at home.

• Never said it wasn't. The point is that not everyone can get to a gym. Or afford one. And people are under the impression that you can't lose weight without going to one. That's false. And that was the point of the Take. Thanks for reading tho.

• Oh i agree, But, Im just pointing out, That, It would be easier, And quicker to go to a Gym, I dont doubt you can loose weight at home, Was just saying its a harder way of going about it,

But yeah, Nice read. ;)

• I prefer the gym.
    Also i don't stairs in my apartment - i'm not that rich to afford such a big house alone.

• Love the exercises. Often do them when I travel and there is no gym available or a nice park to run.

• Great take 👍 and awesome job on losing that weight that is some serious losses there congrats in that. Good alternative if u can't get to a gym, people who say u can't get big or whatever if u don't go to the gym I urge u people to look at some street trainers those guys are big asf sometime. Although I have to agree the gym makes u lose and gain quick purely because it helps u push more and it motivates u to push that little bit harder but at the end of the day it's what works for u that counts. Good take 👍💪

• This post is really helpful, I will incorporate some of those exercises into my routine.

I have a gym membership but I never got around to go to it regularly. I work out at home with mostly push up (planks at start), squats and pull ups (or trying to). I only have a digital weight (from GURU with the smart phone app) and one of those pull up thing.

It was hard at 1st but I have been steadily went from 35% boyfriend to 25% boyfriend in about 3 months by working out at home and have a change in eating habits. I'm trying to get into the 12%~15% boyfriend so it will take anywhere between 5-6 months more.

• Thank you for reading! I'm glad you gained something from this. Congratulations on lowering your bodyfat! It's definitely not an easy journey, but it's worth it. Good luck!

• On my instagram I have pictures of the results I got from purely doing home workouts and I looked good. I also have more recent pictures after joining the gym.
    I've got to say joining the gym is better. Home workouts are good for maintenance when there's no gym around or just better than nothing at all.
    When at the gym frequent the dumbbells, free weights, cables, TRX, treadmill, cross trainer, rowing machines and use mats medicine balls, weighted balls etc.
    My body has done nothing but improve since, the next step would be getting serious about my diet.
    If someone wants to get serious about their workout, eventually you'll come to the same conclusion of joining the gym.

• I'm not saying that you shouldn't join a gym, I'm saying that not being able to is not an excuse. I understand the benefits of going to the gym and all. This was more of a motivator.

Thanks for reading and your input!

• I see, and true. There's some good advice in this take.

• Great intake for home workouts. I do almost all of those.

• Now I feel really spoiled for having basically a full gym in my basement lol

• This reminded me to do my 145 squats that I do every, thank you!
    Nice myTake, too :)

• Lol, nice. I do that 7-minute one, actually. It's not bad.

• kudos to your weight loss
    to add you can do free exercising out doors as well just a thought

• Yes sir, I mentioned the walking and jogging, but you can also do the jumping jacks and all outdoors as wellThanks for reading!

• Also tons of free workouts on YouTube

• If you want results, don't listen to this.

• My results speak for themselves but thanks for reading!

• Whatever dude. The point was to motivate others. You wanna pick it apart and be a fucking asshole about it, be my guest.

• If you wanna lose weight, this is perfect. If you just wanna gain muscle or get toned, of course it's not that great. This isn't for skinny guys.

• Beneficial take, thanks 😊

• Amazing intake!!

• love, love this!! <3 keep it up sistaa!! <3

• Great trake😊

• Congrats to you!