A Few Ways to Get Beautiful Skin

kaylaS91

Receiving compliments on my skin is one thing that I’ve always been fortunate enough to be receiving for as long as I can remember. From when I was just 10 years old, through puberty to now, when I’m at the ripe old age of 23, that’s been one part of myself that others have always made a point of complimenting.

I remember that, just after starting highschool, I was getting pretty worried that that would become a thing of the past. I ‘invested’ in some Cetaphil, some cleansers by Neutrogena, etc..

A Few Ways to Get Beautiful Skin

I heard many of my friends discussing their use of Pro-activ and such, and just couldn’t get my mind around it. How some would spend so much money on using ‘miracle creams’ (was it a cream? Not even sure) while when I’d try the same, though on the cheaper side, I’d get pretty bad reactions or have my face feel dry as a mask before I lathered on some moisturizer to counteract those effects.

It was also pretty early on when I realized that good skin was a combination of genetics, as well as how you treated it.

Are you slathering on the sunscreen before going out in the summer?

Hopefully. We’ve all seen those before and after comparisons of just how damaging regular exposure to UV rays can be, in addition to the inevitable breakouts that’ll follow when you’re in your younger years.

A Few Ways to Get Beautiful Skin

Another thing that I've done for as long as I can remember on the recommendations of my mother which I'm sure helps, or at least in no way hurts, was to moisturize my skin, from bottom to top, on a daily basis. To this day, when I go to my boyfriend's place and shower, you can guarantee you'll see me applying some Aveeno (as I don't bring over my Neutrogena nightly face-cream).

An addition thing which I do and I’m sure is part of why I’ve had relatively clear skin for as long as I can remember, is drinking a lot of water. A lot of water as in a water bottle is right up there with my cellphone and keys, things that I don’t leave the house without.

Without adequate water intake, skin appears duller, wrinkles, and has pores that prominent. That may be because water almost literally ‘plumps up; the skin. Water may also fend off breakouts by decreasing the concentration of oil on your skin. In addition to these two benefits, a variety of structures in the skin that support collagen require water to work effectively.

When skin is hydrated, plump, and elastic, it’s less likely to crack and let in external particles that can cause irritations and blemishes. So don’t forget to keep up with your H20-intake!

In terms of diet, the less greasy/processed foods, the better. If you’re having fast food, or even just going to an Indian restaurant a couple of times a week, it should be no surprise that you may get some breakouts as a result. I mean..

We’re all aware that these foods are pretty rich in fat/cream, right? Unfortunately, all this oil will come out via your skin as well. Leading to some not so pretty breakouts, possible acne in some instances as well.

A Few Ways to Get Beautiful Skin

Rather than spending lots of money on random ‘miracle’ products, you should spend it on consulting a good dermatologist. Skin problems could be from one of several different causes; everyone's skin is different and what works for one person may not work for another.

Beauty and supply stores are going to be more concerned with you spending money at their store than fixing your problem, which the associates may not even be trained/educated enough to handle correctly.

naturally balance sebum secretion to keep it moist against the external environment. That would apply to wearing an entire face of foundation/bronzer, as well as the ‘cleansers’ after.

Taking a break from cosmetics from time to time do improve skin and its resilience, once you give it a chance to breathe and not be weighted down and clogged up by all these artificial oils and chemicals.

A Few Ways to Get Beautiful Skin

The use of cleansing products such as Cetaphil would be the main culprits, here. Yes, they may clear your skin of excess oil. But what do they replace that with?

A boatload of chemicals that are not only irritating for many, but also extremely dehydrating.

A big component of your skin maintaining a glowy-look is its natural oils. Being stripped of them constantly will not only leave your skin drier for short-periods of time, but will result in an over-production of oil. This will be the beginning of a vicious cycle-

You strip your skin of natural oils. → dries out → over-secretion of oils to compensate for what is lacking→break-outs.

Rinse & repeat.

Hence why it’s crucial to maintain your skin’s moisture barrier. Random breakouts (ironically enough, largely in the t-zone), spots, an uneven skin tone and skin that looks dull will become or remain, a thing of the past.

A Few Ways to Get Beautiful Skin

Glow for it.

Lastly, up your exercise!

The more you can do outside, the better, though gym sessions are great as well.

This one goes along with the whole idea of the fact that the better your skin can breathe and more oxygen/toxins it has removed, the better it’ll look as well as feel. This one goes along with the fact that, post-exam week, I not only feel but look semi-zombie like in terms of complexion. One bike-ride on a path by the water and I’m back to being as glowing as ever.

How does that work? Simple really. All your skin really wants is to get rid of toxins and get a good dosage of oxygen both from blood as well as just breathing it in externally. It’ll get from a nice bike ride or jog outside. If you’re not too into things like that, even a short, brisk walk regularly will suffice.

A Few Ways to Get Beautiful Skin
8
11
11Girl Opinion
8Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Girl

• Hopefuldreamer8
    Water definitely does help. I was worried that when I was younger I'd be someone with bad skin. It was something I was told often because of how bad my acne was until the age of 19. I am pretty sure in my case it was the dehydration. I drank so much pop and other forms of caffeine and I rarely drank water. At 19, I started to drink more water and I cut out pop completely and then eventually started to cut back on coffee. It only took a few months after that for my skin to clear up. Now I very rarely get acne, and if I do it's around my time of the month, and it's just one pimple on my chin.

Water truly does help. I've actually had people I know try this. One girl I know looked older all the time because she was dehydrated. She only drank sugary drinks or alcohol. I told her to drink more water, she now looks her age.

I'm not saying water is a cure for all, sometimes people need more help than that. I'm just saying if you don't drink a lot of water and you have some problems with your skin, try drinking water first before spending a lot of money.
    Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?
    • kaylaS91

Agreed!
      I still drink at least one coffee/day but pop is a no-go. I'll only have juice of any sort as a treat once in a blue moon, which I'm sure helps the cause of my skin.

I'm sure similar more natural approach would have much more success than expensive, chemical-laden methods usually utilized after the fact.

• I'm the same way. I haven't touched pop since I was 19, and coffee is something I have when I am really tired. When I drink sugary stuff, it's as a treat once in a blue moon. I've been trying to tell my sister the same thing but she won't listen to me. She is only a year older than me, but people think she is in her mid 30s and people often mistake me as mid 20s. She eats and drinks bad food and she is drunk every weekend.

Most Helpful Guy

• MasterofYou
    Good take.. Proactive is ok for some but very expensive for what it can do... And some cases it will work for a while then not at all according to my oldest daughter.. :)
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

107
  • COCOCHANEL
    very good tips that everyone needs to know. my top 4 are to drink lots of water, get restful sleep, avoid products with ethanol a. k. a alcohol denat. and to use mineral sunblock because some active ingredients in chemical sunblock are carcinogenic and since it gets absorbed into skin people who are predisposed to cancer are at risk. the best thing to do is to try hard to avoid direct sunlight especially between the hours of 10am - 4pm.
  • Paris13
    I was 8 when my own mom and grandma began putting me on a daily skin routine, @kaylaS91, and happy to see that since '10,' you have Not Faltered. Keep Going and flowing here, dear.
    Great moisturizers and Not laying out in that Broiling sun is Another Great way to Continue the Beguine that we have started from the Beginning.
    Good luck and Great My take. xx
    Like 1 Person
  • popsickle
    excellent tips! you're lucky you learned this early! I also think the #1 fundamental and first step to proper skincare & healthcare is to accept that which you cannot control or else be ready to go on a quest of no end. then, one can focus on what she can do and see where that leads.
    Like 1 Person
  • vishna
    Cetaphil is so great. I also like the Clean line. The foaming gel is sort of drying, but I put some clinique on my nose, and I'm good to go. I also feel like it gets a deeper clean vs Cetaphil, and is better for sweaty days, especially for people with acne prone skine.
  • BuchitaBuchys
    I have terrible acne and scars. Proactiv did help, but my skin got "used to it" that if I skipped like just one dose, I broke out horribly. And it's expensive af. For me. It doesn't help that I pick at my face like crazy.

I've tried other otc shit, but I've had horrible skin since like 14yrs, and they never worked. So I'm used to it now.
    As for exercising, dieting, drinking water, I did all that in boot camp and it didn't help lol I've just learned to live with acne and scars.
    • kaylaS91

awe, sorry to hear that! :(
      If your skin is still acting up, maybe birth control would be worth a try? hah like I'm sure it would depend on the underlying cause to the issues but I know many of my friends who went on birth control to help with their skin and basically all were happy with the results, so that might be worth a try. :)

• I'm not a fan of most medicine. And I probably would never take hormonal bc. Im used to acne by now though.

• sailorjupiter
    sometimes, i will using smashed tomato on my face overnight, and rinse it before sleep, to make it glow and reddish naturally. and yes, sunblock everyday
  • Hasaboyfriend
    I do a lot for my skin and I drink lots of water... Still have horribly oily skin! It might be a thyroid problem since I also can't stop sweating.
    • kaylaS91

yeah like I said above, it's a combination of lifestyle/genetics and I suppose the latter can't always be swayed. Give it a few years and hopefully it'll improve.

• Notforlong
    I can't seem to find a good moisturizer with ingredients that wouldn't cause my skin to itch, or breakout.

Eating Healthier works for me.
    • kaylaS91

which ones have you used thus far?
      I'm currently using Neutrogena's night cream, and so far, so good.

• Notforlong

bunch of them. Neutrogena was one of them

• girlinthemirror
    i used it for whole face and it dmamged my skin very much... Now i put it only locally on the pimple... And avoid sun when u apply it or put sunscreen
  • John_Doesnt
    How much did Proactiv pay you to write this myTake?
    • kaylaS91

zero. I wish I could get endorsements like that hah.. I've never used Pro-activ or anything, it's simply the first skin-care line that comes to mind and a couple of my friends had success with it, hence the frequent name-dropping in this take.

• H2OBearer
    Could you explain why tea is on the bad list? I drink about 2 ~ 3 cups of green tea on a daily basis.
    • kaylaS91

I didn't make that list but I'd assume that most teas would be considered to involving caffeine, which is dehydrating and all. As it explains in the right-hand column, though I'm sure it's fine so long as you make sure to rehydrate and such afterwards. :)

• pooper89
    I have PCOS so I get acne no matter what I do
  • Polocrew
    Lift for a flawless skin
    Like 1 Person
  • orphan
    accutane.
  • pavlove
    KAYLA HAS NATURALLY BAD SKIN!
    • kaylaS91

Lol hush. I mentioned that I know it's oftentimes a combo of genetics plus lifestyle, but that doesn't mean that I'd continue having pretty good snob if my diet consisted of mcdicks 99% of the time or I wore a face full of foundation everyday of the week.

• kaylaS91

*skin

• pavlove

bro NO WAY you know this much about acne reducing products if you didn't have issues.

admit you have naturally very dry skin. admit it now

• Anonymous
    wow people lose time and money with such vain and meaningless "problems"... .
  • Anonymous
    Doctors actually say you should get UV to fight acne. The yellow rays kill acne bacteria.
    • kaylaS91

... I've never heard of such a thing. UV rays and sunlight have actually been shown to irritate acne so I'm not entirely sure of what sort of doctors you've been seeing.

• Anonymous

My dermatologist. I have terrible acne on my shoulders and back (like really really bad) and he recommended that I go on like hikes or jogs with my shirt off in the sun for like 20 minutes.