I have struggled with weight and body issues since I was in the 6th grade. After being on medication for epilepsy, my weight increased almost 40 pounds within the first few months. A combo of meds and eating horrendously had me up at 185 pounds at 5’4. Although I still strive to hit a goal weight of 120, I am a much healthier 143 lbs. If anybody is struggling to lose weight, I absolutely feel you. With all the crazy as diets it’s so hard to know what is right and what is wrong. Although most of these tips won’t be nutrition advice, they are just little tidbits on how to help you (and how they helped ME personally) stay sane:) enjoy!
1. Find a bigger purpose. For me at least, it was not enough to have weight loss be the primary goal. For my weight loss to occur, there had to be a bigger picture outcome. Although it ended up not being able to happen, I was trying to lose weight to join the military to help others (which turned into firefighting due to circumstances). Find YOUR bigger purpose. If it is specifically to see those numbers go down, you will go through unhealthy routes to do so. when you do it for a job, military, spouse, your kids, or anything other than to see the scale lower, you will be more likely to follow through,
2. Learn to love yourself in other ways. This one was HUGE for me. Before I lost weight, I would never wear makeup or cute clothes or anything because I would always think: “well, what’s the point? I’m fat anyways nothing is going to cover that up.” To a certain extent, it’s true. Makeup cannot cover up something you need to change. However, you need to start somewhere. Once you start caring for yourself in one aspect, others will start to follow.
3. Expect slow progress. The damage done to your body was not overnight. Don’t expect it to change overnight.
4. NEVER SETTLE. THIS IS MY BIGGEST THING. Always love yourself, but believe in your heart you can ALWAYS do better. You can always be healthier or get something else accomplished. This should be on every aspect of your life, not just weight loss.
5. Weight lift. Cardio burns calories which is great and gets your heart pumping! Weights are great for sculpting and gets rid of the “skinny fat”. You feel accomplished and strong and empowered. Start off slow and build up. LADIES YOU WILL NOT LOOK MANLY FROM LIFTING!!
6. Focus on improving your entire life, even your daily activities and chores. Do your laundry more often, clean your room, keep your self clean and well kept. A messy mind and a messy room are the devils play grounds.
7. Don’t try quick weight loss schemes. I know I sound hypocritical because I recently made a post about how to lose weight quick, but I unfortunately learned that it just isn’t worth it. If your heating healthy and working out, your only going to improve from where you started and that is what is important. Patience is key (and believe me, I am almost none of it. I am stubborn as a mule and when I want it something I want it YESTERDAY). Trust me, it is worth it.
8. Eat enough calories. Yes, calorie restriction causes weight loss. However, if your trying to get lean and strong, you need enough calories to complete workouts. My advice is to find your TDEE (total daily energy Expenditure is what I BELIEVE it is called). THis shoes how many calories you burn on an average daily. You need to consume less calories than you burn daily, but don’t go so low where you get tired or can’t work out because then your mind (your body adapts quicker than your brain) will tire out quickly and the progress could potentially Be lost.
These tips were useful to me because I could apply them in my everyday life and so can you. For me, weight loss was correlated with learning to like myself and realize that I am worth the small things, like making sure my room is clean and making sure everything is put away. These things don’t seem correlated, but they really are. It creates a ripple effect. I cannot give nutritional advice because I am not a nutritionist and everyone is so different. However if you would like more information on how I personally lost weight and what I am doing, feel free to PM me. I know these tips seem strange and can seem unhelpful, but apply love, patience, and organization in your life and the weight loss will follow❤️❤️