How to enjoy walks more [multiple strategies]

tallandsweet

I'm not fat, but I always hated walks. Walking is one of the easiest ways for my to loose weight I gain when on holdiay/stressed etc, but I still never liked it.

This may be due to my autism, I only walk from place A to place B, I need a goal, I absolutely hate strolling and window-shopping. It may also be because my parents don't "walk", they hike, run or walk very very fast. Here's how I started walking for fun.

Photo by Thomas Q on Unsplash
Photo by Thomas Q on Unsplash

Start somewhere you know

I went to a place I knew, I liked, but that I hadn't explored fully before. I noticed tons of tiny things there that I never thought were cool before. For example, you may explore the flora and fauna of a place or notice how beautiful the buildings in a certain area are.

Know how to get there and what to expect

I drive there with the car, because after 18 years, I know that I do not want to go for a walk in a forest nearby. I could, but I am too afraid of meeting people I know and having to talk to them.

Some of you may prefer starting near your home, most cities have a park, which are very nice for walking around. I feel like my perspective on this is quite Austrian, we don't really have that many parks and I don't like them too much either, I prefer to be near mountains or in a forest.

Photo by oxana v on Unsplash
Photo by oxana v on Unsplash

Practice through activities somewhat related to walking

This sounds a little stupid, but doing ski tours (where you walk up a mountain on skis) really helped me get in the right mood for walking. Walking regularly then seems like a very easy thing to do.

Ski tour; Photo by Yann Allegre on Unsplash

Combine walking with something you don't usually find the time to do

For me, this is listening to Podcasts and audio books - I always find and make the time to read and study, but listening to something for fun is definitely underrated. It enhances your experience in nature, I don't really listen to music when I walk, only to things that make me a more open-minded person and that broaden my perspective.

Another idea is to walk with your friends - personally, I rarely have time to spend with them, so combining an activity that is good for my health with one that is beneficial for my personal life is awesome.

Photo by Mohammad Metri on Unsplash
Photo by Mohammad Metri on Unsplash

Try new things once you're comfortable

Try walking somewhere else, hiking, running, cycling, anything that gets you out of your comfort zone.

Photo by Drew Colins on Unsplash
Photo by Drew Colins on Unsplash

How have you come to enjoy sports more? Any tips?

Do you like or dislike walking?

9
2

Most Helpful Guys

• Naydyonov
    I really identify with you! I have trouble just walking; I need a goal. I like hiking because it is a mentally relaxing walk but with a set goal.
    I also have trouble walking slowly; I naturally walk fast. So when someone asks me to just relax and stroll, I need to consciously stop myself. But after some time I forget and my legs move faster and faster on their own.

Right now I take a walk every morning: same route, same goal.

This will definitely be a problem for me on dates. 100% chance.

I have never listen to audio books, but I do listen to music when walking.
    Is this still revelant?
  • Gsm24diecast
    I actually started walking everyday nearly a year ago, I quit smoking cigarettes completely cold turkey 12 months ago and counting! And walking is my new fix 😂
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

27
  • lightbulb27
    A+
    Does the window shopping and strolling stress you out, because there is nothing specific to focus on... like there is too much going on? you need a target/focus end goal.

I find it interesting that distractions in audio books helps.

I walk, it's ok, hiking in a park is better. cycling is better because it is harder and can see more.
  • blutwolfe
    Well I'm pretty active due to physical jobs, in my free time I prefer to relax, when the weather is nice out on the weekends I wouldn't mind a hike with a couple buddies to catch up, like you said its combining activities. We live in the rockies so that's all we can do really lol, when I was a teenager, friends and I would just walk everywhere cause no one had a vehicle lol, like a 5 mile walk to the mall if we wanted to go
  • Luna1998
    I dont exercise but I like walking eventhough the climate its hot and humid from where I live (South east asia) I walk at least 2-4 km a day with my music on. I would love to walk more often if its a little colder and I have more time.
  • DeeDeeDeVour
    As long as they're not for errands, I enjoy walking & hiking.
  • ConfusedOfTheWorld
    Great advices, I walk like 5 miles each day just listening to music
  • captain_voidwalker
    Easiest solution get a dog everything is better with a dog
  • zagor
    I love walking. Whether in the wilds or in the city. The 'burbs, though, can be boring.
  • These are great. I also listen to music.
  • Avicenna
    Very sage advice here!