The impossible battle between being underweight/overweight and being sick

Anonymous

It's a topic that's been discussed time and time again. Having said that I've never actually seen someone actually explain, why todays body standard is both unhealthy mentally and physically. It affects both men and women.

Men have to be muscular and tall. Women have to be skinny yet curvy. Numerous photos of especially girls, but also men, showing off their bodies, are posted onto social media every day. Being extremely muscular or for some impossibly skinny, is praised on social media.

There's just a slight problem; No one can tell the difference between the ones who look like this naturally, and the ones who've tortured their own bodies into looking this certain way. There is simply no way of telling the difference through social media. But no one healthy wants to be treated as a sick person and, in truth, no one sick wants to be treated as a healthy person. Maybe they think they do, but in reality, every time you tell a sick person, that they look good, what goes through their mind is "does this mean I wouldn't if I weren't abusing myself". And even if the person is healthy and getting those comments, people who are sick, reading those comments will inevitably think "but I don't look like that".

On the flip side, there are also people who are obese, pretending like THEY are the image of health. And at the same time, people in the comment section are praising them for "being themselves". No, I'm not saying that people should be rude or anything like that. It also should be said, that a person, of course, genetically, can be more prone to become overweight.

Being unhealthy, malnourished or obese, should never be glorified.

The thing is, that people never understand, that the difference between being overweight/underweight and being sick is impossible to separate, unless you ARE that person. People will never stop posting those pictures, and people will never stop commenting, but if they don't understand the effects of their comment or their post, that's a problem.

8
2

Most Helpful Guys

• ZackBan
    It's mostly self inflicted. Most people never really want you to fit a profile, sure some shapes are viewed as more fit to model clothes than others but any shape is good enough to live your life as long as you are healthy.

I for one do not support normalizing obesity because that means encouraging people to kill themselves but at the same time I don't look at a couple of layers of fat and think this person is repulsive. I too have belly fat and tried my hardest to shake it but I can't, the best I can do is be healthy overall and no one has ever shamed my body only I do it in a time of weakness.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Anonymous

Well I obviously don't believe in normalizing obesity either

• I love how all the MOH got dislikes. I LOVE it. Fat people gonna hate.

• ZackBan

Ironically enough hate comes with stress and stress is actually a trigger to something in your body that makes you even more fat.

What the one who disliked doesn't know is that once upon a time I was fat too and really fat for that matter and it only affected me negatively, health was poor, I couldn't do a lot of things people my age were doing and I was going down a path of health issues and an early death but I eventually had enough and started a life-long journey of weight control I may not be a slim model but I make sure I'm always healthy enough and fit enough as should everyone

• Anonymous
    Lol. Dw girl. Everybody wants you to be perfect while they are looking fucked up themselves. Everybody can easily judge another person because it is so easy to forget you're a piece of shit yourself. The dark skin hate is just so stupid lol. Hating on people cause they were born with dark skin. Crazy. We all can thank dead white people for that. Spreading lies and racism so they could get ahead. Almost killing off whole races just to do good. Native Americans are basically the jews. But at least the jews were a religion not a race.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girls

• tuanasdiaries
    Obviously, an obese person should lose weight ONLY because they want to, not because of environmental pressure. This is true for very weak people. They should gain weight according to their own wishes. As a former obese girl (I was 264 lbs hahaha), I saw a lot of bullying from the environment at the time but finally I wanted to do something for myself, now I'm in the body I want.
    Is this still revelant?
  • Anonymous
    Men should not be seen as "muscular and attractive" and girls as "90 60 90 body" because of this shallow understanding of beauty that puts people in a certain mold. No longer this sickly shallow thought must be abandoned.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Anonymous

Yes.

• Anonymous

What yes

• Anonymous

I agree?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

06
  • randomusername321
    That doesn't cover everyone. I personally like natural looking fit bodies on women, and not overly skinny women. Thigh gaps don't mean much to me. Similarly many women also don't want Mr. Olympia bodies on their SOs, but rather athletic and reasonably muscled, naturally attained physiques.
  • KibblesBits
    I don't get the want for curves. I want a girl who's built tall, skinny, and like a rectangle-ish. I'm not against bigger hip ratios, but I'm most attracted to women who are skinny without just standard proportions.
  • bamesjond0069
    Um you dont torture your body to be fit. This is the dumbest shit i ever heard. Working out and eating healthy is just normal ass thing EVERYONE should be doing just to live life.
    • Anonymous

I think the part you're referring to is the part where I talk about being unhealthily skinny

• Never heard about people trying to be unhealthily skinny. Like bones jutting out and weighing 70 lbs at 5'5"? I dont think anyone anywhere promotes such a thing.

• Anonymous

You've clearly not been to a ballet theater

• Phoenix98
    I mean being a former PT I could explain to you why it’s unhealthy to be fat or even to skinny.

if you want that is.
  • anylolone
    Hey, that's kevin hart!
    He's a funny hobbit!

Over the question, today's body standards aren't unhealthy, being fit isn't unhealthy.
    • koolkapy

stop making fun of short men scum we didn't ask for this just like i didn't asked for elephant sized girls.

• anylolone

@koolkapy You racist, stop calling him a man, the last ring wraith to make that mistake got shanked!

He's not an elf, he's not a man, he's not a dwarf, he's a hobbit!

• sixtyeightplusone
    women can never be too skinny
    • Anonymous

I hope that's a joke.

• not at all. I like the marathon runner, supermodel body. Of course common sense required, anything can be taken too far

• Anonymous

Then it was badly phrased.