Things You Were "Supposed" To Outgrow By The Time You're An Adult

1. Watching cartoons

Things You Were

Cartoons bought me so much joy as a kid. Does there come a time when someone really has to stop solely based on age?

2. Playing videogames

I know plenty of adults that still play videogames, and they aren't even ashamed of it. Just take a look at youTube you'll see how many adults have gaming channels.

3. Playing with toys

I had a blast playing with toys as a kid. It's something that brings me a lot of joy, how many of you never want to stop this?

4. Sucking your thumb

Watching an adult suck their thumb just makes me cringe! Were you missing a pacifier when you were younger?

Perverted men, I know what you're thinking! You want to provide this woman with a "healthy" alternative!

Huh what? Last time I checked that never hurts. -Gulps my words-

5. Wearing pajamas

How many of you have traded in your pajamas for night cowns, or a basic comfortable clothing? No one knows what you look like when you're sleeping (besides yourself and significant other of course), so if this is what provides you comfort I say you're never too old! Go for it!

6. Saying the word "Mommy" or "Daddy"

Some people feel referring to your parent(s) as "Mommy" or "Daddy" is something that should be stopped once you're over 12. It seems rather babyish and childish for someone big in size to use such a word.

7. Dying your hair bright colors

This is the only thing, I will say adults can get away with but it really depends on their age.

This woman's selection of colors is horrendous and as me thinking about a peacock.

Just what on Earth was she thinking? I know, perhaps she wasn't even thinking at all!

No one over the age of 40 should still be doing this. Even the age "40" in itself is pushing it in my opinion.

This lady right here, looks great! Lets fast forward 20+ years and we'll see how drastic my opinion is about this.

8. Eating babyfood or ordering from the kids menu

Some adults buy baby food because they love the taste, others may go to fast food restaurants such as McDonalds and order themselves a happy meal.

9. Wearing your food

When this food is all over your face and clothes, this is marked as unacceptable. Only a toddler or a young child can get away with this!
Don't give me that bullcrap!

You have decades worth of being properly trained on how to eat food, no exceptions necessary!

10. Throwing a tantrum

As adults, we should understand that in life you do not always get your way. It's perfectly normal to experience disappointments or let downs. However, at this stage in life you should have a grip on how to handle when you get upset or angry. Breaking things, having extreme outbursts, or crying uncontrollably shows someone that is not able to handle their emotions.

Yikes! This extreme display in emotions is difficult to watch.

Stacy, look away! and I mean NOW!

11. Trick or treating

Trick or treating is for children! Halloween parties are for adults. Do you understand the difference? Ringing someone's doorbell and going from house to house is childish!
Hey, Hey! I see some of you are getting defensive...don't kill me!

How many of you adults still do this?
How many of these just drive you absolutely crazy when you see it?

Feel free to comment below!

3241
Stacyzee is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I play video games. All of these other things sound like some sort of nutty eccentricities - if you're an adult. o. O

Except the pajamas - people, lots of grown people - still like to have specific clothing just for sleep, i. e. pajamas. xD

• Watching cartoons sounds like an eccentricity? There are lots of cartoons for older people now. It isn't all about a mouse beating up on a cat anymore.

• It really isn't that obvious to me. I know several people that have made fun of me for watching stuff like family guy. They consider all types of cartoons to be for little kids, as well as all video games.

• @heavensgift2girls Oh, never seen that show in it's entirety... Probably not my thing - from a few clips I've seen on youtube...
      Cartoons for adults - I always think of animated movies, not so much actual cartoons.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 40

• I'll still sometimes play with toys. Especially if entertaining my nephews or nieces by doing so. In reality, aren't the gadgets we use as adults just more-sophisticated toys? However, I'm not content to simply play with toys. I like to create new ones. Probably should have gone into that as a chosen field.

Sometimes, certain cartoons are simply more enjoyable and fulfilling than most of the adult TV fare.

Weird but true: it's more fun to binge-watch Power Rangers RPM than Walking Dead on Netflix. While still somehow being a typical kids' show, it's just adult enough that you don't have to feel ashamed of watching it. Unlike the current PR fare, which is downright embarrassing.

Who would have thought they could make a kids' show by ripping off Blade Runner, Age of Ultron (the comics, not the 2015 movie), Terminator, and Jericho? All it needed was darker-looking zords, more-realistic Ranger suits, a little cursing and a little blood and maybe some more kissing / implied sex, and it would have instantly been no different than Mad Max Fury Road, or some other adult fare.

Dillon's lollipop parody of smoking is further homage to the fact that the producers wanted a more adult feel, but were required to keep it kid-friendly.

I'll still whip out the PS2 once in a blue moon, but it just isn't as enjoyable for me anymore. I guess I am getting old and boring.

• 1 and 3 are the ones that still appeal to me - I am lucky all my family live close to one another so my niece and nephew were in my house a lot so I had an excuse to watch cartoons and play with toys but they are 21 and 19 now, I going to have to wait for them to have kids for an excuse to watch cartoons and spend time with toys again.

• Although i do none of these, I don't see anything wrong with 1-3 and 5. I think they're acceptable. The others on the hand... :-O

• I still watch cartoons, play video games, and while I haven't taken out my toys in a while, I wouldn't mind doing so again. I was really into Star Wars, Transformers, LEGO, vehicles, and creatures.

In fact, once I have some money I'd like to get back into collecting toys again.

• I still do 1, 2 and 8 :P
    Great Take :)

• lol, some of these are pretty funny. I agree with Chief16, I think the people that think you should outgrow things are usually pretty stuck up and boring. No sense of humor etc. I still watch cartoons and play video games from time to time. A lot of cartoons I find are geared more to adults anyway when you really pay attention to them. I think it's healthy to a point to remain somewhat "childish" You have to have fun in live and not be serious all the time. But also there's too childish and some people really do need to grow up a little lol

• I wish I'd still do #1, 2 & 3.
    I do those things in the absence of my family and friends apart from gaming. At least I was REALLY happy doing these things in my childhood as compared to the fuckery I do in my adulthood. :'(
    Oh and I still do #6, 8 & 10 sometimes :)

• Oh, I wear my food all the time (the things you can do with chocolate syrup...).
    Good list tho. Some people are afraid of growing up, but really, being a grownup is just being a responsible kid sometimes.

• Only one of these: wearing pajamas.
    Brussels ( 50°51′01″ N) is on the same latitude as Calgary in Canada (51.0486° N ) . about likeVancouver (BC, 49.2827° N,) thus. No US cities that much N.
    It's cooler here than in many US states. (but the differences are less extreme, due to the sea close by.)

• nobody should be sucking their thumb as an adult. That is a sign you need some serious therapy.
    the only reason I don't have the onsey type pajama is that I can't find it in my size and height. I am too tall for the ones I can find.

• I see absolutely nothing wrong with PJs or video games. :)

• I don't any of them wow

• I do numbers 1 and 2.

If you include driving a convertible and sailing boats as playing with toys, I still do number 3.

• To be honest, I outgrew most of that, but not for being grown up. I don't like modern day cartoons for being racist against Asian males, constantly portraying us as nerds, funny foreigners, or villains.

And I'm against most video games for that, plus I'm sick of the gaming companies' greed with the DLCs and stuff.

I'm mostly spending my money on books and music. And metal and industrial music is something that I'll never give up.

• I just do 1 and 2 still.

Although I haven't played video games in months but that's just because I've been extremely busy.

• I still watch certain cartoons, such as Archer
    I play video games
    I also wear PJs as I get cold

• I think most of these are alright. Okay, nine is disgusting, but except for that one, I really don't care. I personally don't like hair dyed in bright colours, but if someone wants it, they should go for it. And I find words like mummy and daddy cringeworthy, but that's just my opinion, and outside of a formal situation you should talk however you want to.

• #1 and #2 are still designed for adults. Cartoons like Archer and ATHF aren't meant for kids. And GTA and Call of Duty are inappropriate for children as well.

• I stopped using mommy & daddy when I was six. Adults using those terms? That's just disturbing.

• I only watch cartoons and play video games. No shame in it, no shame in playing with toys, either, just depends on the toys... lol

• I don't think "Family Guy" targets kids.

• Technically they don't. But outsiders believe that it has over the top and immature comedy, making it childish and more suitable for kids and teenagers. "Cartoony" has gotten a negative meaning over the years from outsiders where they use it to describe something silly and over the top. Because of that, people subcontiously assume that anything literally cartoony (art in motion created by adults) has to fit their definition of cartoony

• More from Guys
    20

What Girls Said 31

• Cute MyTake, I like some of those things :D

• Majority of video games are made for teens and young adults, few are made for children.
    I've done mostly all of them; the ones I don't do are 6,10, and 11; never done them, even as a child.

• I order from the kids menu all the time. The meal are the right size!
    Video games are really designed for adults. Ask any game designer! Their target audience is 16-30. Why? Because these ( usually guys) have plenty of disposable income! Wearing PJ.. Well I get cold! I love toy stores! Who wouldn't! Children's games can become very adult!

• Honestly, I'll do whatever makes me happy and so should anybody else. Just because society does not agree with certain things does not mean you should change who you are or stop doing what makes you happy just for the sake to fit in.

• I still watch cartoons (well, occasionally), play video games (like MY LIFE!) and say 'Daddy' but, usually only playfully or sarcastically. But yeah, life's fun with a playful outlook.

• You shouldn't stop having fun just because you're an adult. You just handle situations better, use your time wisely and save money. I'm not going to stop collecting dolls, playing games, wearing PJs and ordering the Happy Meal but I'll have my rent paid every month ha.

• This was very enjoyable to read and I am disgusted when adults throw tantrums like toddlers.

• I love this take

• I've never done 4, 6, 7 or 11 and I've grown out of 8

• I literally do all of those except the thumb sucking (I sometimes even do this but just the tip of my thumb)
    And I don't watch the modern cartoons, I watch courage the cowardly dog, ed edd and eddy etc.

• Oh, man. I love cartoons!

• I will forever call my parents Mummy and Daddy lol

• I fully admit that I still do some of these things

• I do all of the above except for dying my afro and ordering from the kids menu. >o > I do want to dye my hair, but the kids menu food is too small for me. I'd rather just buy the toy to go with my adult menu. xD

• Lol, I think I'll be around dead when I stop a few things.

• 1,2,6, and 11.

• I would prob stick with Watching anime, hair coloring and saying "Mommy and Daddy".

• The things I still do and probably will always do are 8 and 10, specially 10.

• I still order a happy meal sometimes, but never order kids menu stuff anywhere else. I feel like it's only acceptable at McDonald's lol

• What is life if you can't let loose and act like a child from time to time?

• More from Girls
    11