4 Famous Hauntings In the United States

Disclaimer: I'm going to be doing a series from now till Halloween on Famous Hauntings from different countries. I'm starting with my own.

The dead do not always rest as peacefully as they should. For reasons not always known to those still living. Here are five famous hauntings from the United States.

The Winchester Mystery House

Construction started in 1884 on this mansion. It was built by Sarah Winchester, the widow of William Wirt Winchester the Son of Oliver F. Winchester the inventor of the Winchester Rifle. During the construction of the house (which to this day, people are still unsure of how many rooms it actually has to the point of three days ago they found another room bringing the total up to 161.) Sarah would send builders away for no real reason. Now eventually Sarah Winchester said that the house was haunted by, 'People who'd been killed by Winchester rifles, over a thousand of them' and that she has never had a decent nights sleep because of it.

Alcatraz

Even before Europeans arrived, The local tribes considered it to be a place where evil spirits lived. It was turned into a prison in the 1850's and that is when people started notice paranormal activity there. Now after so many years it housing some of the most violent and murderous inmates. The island is full of the souls of evil men. Perhaps because they are too afraid of what waits for them on the other side.

Gettysburg

A site of one of the most important battles of the Civil war is haunted by the ghosts of men who had died at the site. However the types of activity seems to indicate that these are simply the psychic impressions of the men. Images of men fighting a battle long since over.

The White House

The white house is haunted by several ghosts, one of them including Abraham Lincoln haunts his former bedroom.

Of note is the fact that WINSTON CHURCHILL refused to sleep in the Bedroom after seeing a ghost by the fireplace. Presidents Teddy Roosevelt, Herbert Hoover, and Dwight Eisenhower have also seen his ghost. So have several Secret Service Agents.

#HappyHalloween

#CreepyHappenings

55
Waffles731 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• If if ever travel down the coast, you should definitely check out Eastern State Penitentiary. Their Halloween tour was amazing, and they also do regular tours.

https://www.easternstate.org/esp

Most Helpful Guy

• I've been to Gettysburg before and I think I saw two dark shades going against each other.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 4

• Awesome. I love true life scary stories. I've always wanted to visit Alcatraz , not so sure now tho lol

• Oh wow I had no idea there were stories of the White House being haunted! I knew about Alcatraz and the Winchester house though, I think there's even a movie or something about the latter

• The capitol building is also supposed to be haunted as well but thats less interesting that eh white house

• It's funny to imagine it though, a house full of the ghosts of dead presidents..

• I want to go to all of these places. Especially Gettysburg cemetery. My great-great-great-great grandfather is buried there.

• perfect*

What Guys Said 4

• Interesting, I'd like to visit some of these haunted places, excellent Take :D

• Look up rockadundee road in Hamden Massachusetts
    It's right near me and there's a lot of dirt on it
    And I've been manny times to confirm or dismiss claims

• I wouldn't want to spend a night in empty Alcatraz (empty apart from all the spooks, LoL)

• Usually landmarks or isolated locations are haunted for some reason.