The Battle of Pets: 10 Reasons Why I Prefer Dogs

Dogs vs Cats: pros and cons

First of all, let's take a look at the cons and pros. As a dog person I'm not going to view cats as bitches, but here's some of the reasons I like dogs much more than cats.

1. Dogs are useful

When talking about dogs, there's much more dogs can do other than catching criminals and helping the blind. Dogs can detect cancer in the human body, that's something that even powerful devices can't always handle... While cats are only capable of learning how to crap in a small box.

2. How they view humans

Cats view their selves as the owners of humans, the opposite of how dogs view us!

Feeding a cat is like giving money to a rude homeless person who says "bring more money the next time you pass through here!"

3. Dogs are so sufficient

Sufficient in everything.

4. Outdoor activities

If you're that kind of person who likes going out to parks and places, you must be a dog owner because dogs like to play outside most of the time while cats are known to stay at home.

Put your jacket on and go out, because no matter where you go, your friend (dog) will always come with you, so you won't be alone.

5. Dogs are playful

As some may know, I had a cat before... cats are known to be extremely playful but judging from my experience, they're playful only when they're little... Cats get more boring and boring as they grow up. Those who own both know what I'm talking about. Your dog spends all his day trying to please you while your cat's in your bedroom sleeping and pissing on your bed!

6. Being so protective

Dogs are pack animals like their ancestors, wolves, and wolves are known to be loyal and protect their pack members with their life.... When you adopt and feed a dog, it'll see you as a pack member and as a result of that will protect you, some scientists even say that dogs look at their owner the same way puppies look at their mother.

7. Child friendly

Dogs enjoy playing with kids, as well as kids do! A puppy will be your family's best friend, and you'll feel that it's a part of your family. Cats entertain kids too but you don't want a cat scratching your child's face because he/she touched it's tail!

8. Petting

Dogs just enjoy every part you pet, specially the head and the belly and that's a good point for me, dogs almost feel indifferent about where you pet. But cats are a bit ummm.... it's enough to tell you that you're risking your life by touching the tail or the back legs!

9. Adoption

Among all the pets in the shelters, dogs are the most poor animals. Wandering dogs are becoming more and more everyday and dog shelters keep filling day by day, so animal shelter administrators have no way but to put some dogs to sleep (to kill them) in order to bring new ones in, by adopting a dog you're saving a life plus giving another dog a chance to live and be adopted.

Watching those poor dogs in cages breaks my heart and makes me nearly cry as it does to you. I wanna give anyone who's reading this MyTake an important message and it's:

10. Loyalty

I'm not gonna say much on this one! Everyone knows how loyal and faithful dogs are. You only need to see how excited dogs get when their owners come back after 3 months from a long trip, or just not forget Hachikō the faithful dog for his remarkable loyalty to his owner, for whom he continued to wait for over nine years following his death. Hachikō is known in Japanese as chūken Hachikō (忠犬ハチ公) meaning "faithful Hachikō".

You can see Hachikō's memorial statues all over Japan honoring his loyalty, the original statue is located in front of Shibuya station where he waited 9 years for his master to come back, without knowing that his master is dead, probably the saddest story I've ever heard.

2931

Most Helpful Girl

• I disagree with the cats con list. They dont smell like pee! If your cat smells like pee> you probably never clean the litter box. Cats are social if you raise them to be! Before my cat passed away she used to greet me whenever i got home> im talking running up to me, loud meowing and rubbing herself on me until i greeted back. The reference to hoarders and weirdos should be on the dogs con list aswell. Cats dont scratch everything up! its the owners duty to teach the cat manners. If a cat is disrespectful and destructive then its the bad owners fault.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • i used to play so much with my cat, she left the house and didn't comeback, after a couple of days i found her eating in front of a restaurant, cats always try to find the best... now do you think i was a bad owner?

• I wasn't referring to you , I was talking about cats and cat owners in general. If you don't teach your cat manners he / she will be disrespectful. Actually it's this way with all animals and children. You can never really blame the child/ the animal > in most circumstances the owner or parents are to blame.

• And also dogs stink a lot more than what cats do > they've got this dog smell to them that stinks up the whole house. I have two dogs so I know.

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. Cats are QUITE useful for folks who live in the country. Rodent control always on duty!

2. I don’t know how cats and dogs view us because I have never talked to either species.

3. Leave them at home alone for the weekend and cats can amuse themselves for the duration. Dogs go crazy and eat your sofa.

4. You are absolutely right on this point.

5. Whether cats are playful depends on how you interact with them. I had a cat (Cucamonga) who would jump into the air to catch imitation mice that I tossed towards him. Another cat (Catface) would play hide-and-seek! If you haven’t watched a cat chasing a laser light beam, you have missed a real treat!

6. Again, you are right. Dogs are more protective than are cats.

7. I have had cats who loved to cuddle with small children.

8. I have known dogs who were quite sensitive about which parts were petted.

9. This point did not address any of the differences between dogs and cats. I agree that we should all take care of our animals!

10. I had a cat (Catface) who obviously recognized the sound of our cars as they approached home. He would run to the front door to wait for the arrival of whoever was returning. When I walked through the front door, he wanted to be picked up and head-butted!

Dogs are awesome animals and cats are definitely different but they are awesome in their own way.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 28

• Lovecraft said it best:

"Dog-lovers judge the intelligence of a pet by its degree of conformity to their own wishes. Cat-lovers escape this delusion, repudiate the idea that cringing subservience and sidling companionship to man are supreme merits, and stand free to worship aristocratic independence, self-respect, and individual personality joined to extreme grace and beauty as typified by the cool, lithe, cynical, and unconquered lord of the housetops." (Cats and Dogs, H. P. Lovecraft)

• this is misinformation.

cats rescue people all the time !
    they might not have the physical strength but how is it fair to say that male firefighters are more heroic than female firefighters just because they can carry people on their shoulders? in the same way that female firefighters rescue people, cats do too.

cats are more capable of loving deeply.

• people who like dogs are so inconsistant.. don't want a clingy annoying lover but want a clingy annoying pet

• Alright, but this cat showed her vulnerable sides to me in a split second. It all happened so fast. It was really unpredictable. Maybe you're right, but I think I'll just keep avoiding street cats and pet cats of owners that tell me their cat is really friendly instead lol.

• @Svennedude2 never touch the belly of cats and rhinos. don't assume they are displaying it for you to touch. same with women's breasts.

• OMG I love my dog.
    Scooter my Jack Russell is my best friend, he is my running buddy.
    He is always so happy to see me even if I've only been gone for ten minutes.
    He has brought so much joy to my family.

• I disagree with every single one of the items on the cons list for cats. Also, cats shed too, not just dogs. Hoarders and weirdos have dogs too. Unsocial? Depends on the cat, just as it would depend on the dog.

• I think 9 of your points are fair. But adoption? Everything you said applies to BOTH, so it doesn't count as an argument to get a dog instead of a cat

• More from Girls
    23

What Guys Said 30

• I'm definitely a dog person, and I agree with all of your points. I had one thing to add to #9, though - at most shelters, most dogs are adopted out. My local shelter adopts out 90% of the dogs it takes in, but only 15% of the cats! They end up putting down scores of cats, but only a few dogs each year. The dogs they do put down usually have personality disorders (they're crazy) or terminal illnesses (cancer).

To back up a bit, canis familaris is not just the first animal humans domesticated - they're the ONLY mammal that has coevolved with humans. That is, both species have evolved to make beneficial use of the other. It's a symbiotic relationship. Cats are domesticated to a degree, but they do not share the close evolutionary bond with humans that dogs do.

I have not verified that this is an actual thing, but I read in a book once that some Native American tribe has a legend that at the beginning of time, a huge crack opened up in the world that separated humans from all other animals. Humans were on one side, and animals on the other. At the last minute, as the rift was getting wider and wider, dog jumped over the chasm to be with man. Cat stayed on the other side.

• "a huge crack opened up in the world that separated humans from all other animals. Humans were on one side, and animals on the other. At the last minute, as the rift was getting wider and wider, dog jumped over the chasm to be with man. Cat stayed on the other side. "

Wow that's very very interesting, i remember a cartoon when i was a kid that was similar to this legend... i can't remember the cartoon's name but i watched it on Cartoonetwork.

• i0.kym-cdn.com/.../d7d

Sorry but I can't really agree with something as biased as this and since I'm open minded. This is not Cats VS dogs. This is dogs > cats.

I mean no offense or anything. I just don't agree since it's biased.

https://youtu.be/lneBnsuXQD0

• I definitely more dog person - A dog is just a daft mate - A cat is an enigma wrapped in a puzzle to paraphrase Winston Churchill - I much prefer simple social politics of two daft mates than mind games

• Dogs and cats should be kept away from small kids. Cats are known to smother babies in their cribs and dogs are known for viciously killing or mutilating kids. Animals see children as weaker smaller animals.

• Yes dogs are a man's best friend but, your info about cats isn't entirely accurate.

Firstly, you're only going to smell that horrid cat pee smell, if you're not keeping their litter tray clean. Secondly, full grown cats will also happily play just as much as a kitten will. My oldest cat is now 4 years old and she still wants to play fetch as much as she did when she was a kitten. Yes you read that right, she plays fetch. My two others also play happily. It all depends on how they're raised.

• More from Guys
    25