11 Things You Might Say That Are a Bit Incorrect

"Hair and fingernails keep growing after you die.."

No.. they don't. The skin actually starts shrinking so it just looks like the hair and nails are growing.

"I like my steaks bloody!"

No, you absolutely wouldn't, unless you're a vampire. What you love is a steak gushing with water and myoglobin ..but it doesn't really sound that good, does it?

"Water is a great conductor."

Water itself doesn't actually conduct electricity that well. It's the minerals, dirt and other impurities that conduct the electricity so well. The more you know...

"The Great Wall of China is the only man made object visible from space."

There's actually bunch of man made objects visible from space like The Greenhouses of Almería, Bingham Canyon Mine, The Great Pyramids at Giza, many bridges and most metropolitan areas at night.

"I'm a little hyper, I've had a lot sugar today."

I don't know why you're hyper, but it's not because of the sugar. Sugar rush is a placebo and no study has actually found any connection between sugar and hyper activity.

"Penguins mate for life."

Most do, but not all of them. For example the famous Emperor Penguins only stays with one partner for one mating season and finds another for the next one.

"You can't touch the baby bird, the mother will abandon it!"

Birds don't really have a good sense of smell and there's no way they could recognize a human having handled their babies. Please save the baby birds!

"Which of the five senses could you live witho..."

*cough* *cough*.. There's actually more than five senses and yes I'm fun at parties... Depending on how you count them there's 9 to even 21, for example pressure, pain and heat are all different senses.

"You'll get an arthritis cracking those knuckles."

No connection between the two have been found, but you might annoy the people around you..

We only use 10% of our brain's capacity."

No, we use all of it, but not at the same time.

"Damn, you're as blind as a bat."

Bats aren't blind. Some of them actually have a great eyesight.

How many of them did you know?

Have a good day!

1119
just_tired is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• I knew 8 of these.

You still dont want touch wild birds though, theyre like rats in that they make super effective carriers for pathogens and nasty bugs.

Save them, but use some gloves or have some kind of barrier between you, like a towel.

Most Helpful Guy

• I knew quite a few of these though the info on bats was new to me. The dangerous thing I think with messing with baby birds is that you leave a scent on them and even if the mother won't smell it, rats or raccoons very well might. Raccoons are predators and they will eat baby birds. So if a baby bird is in its nest... just leave it be. If it's on the ground near a tree though you can put it back in the nest.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 10

• I didn't know any of them. Man I look so dumbright now.
    Either way great take and thanks for enlightning another fellow.

• Always save the baby bird, even look up a bird rehabber if you must. We're in very good touch with our local bird rehab.

• I know most of them. Interesting!

• I knew most of them.. but i didn't knew about the penguins.
    And about the bird... I've heard that if you touch the EGG, mother bird then herself pushes it out of the nest and the egg cracks and dies.

• Most of them, good post by the way

• I either knew or at least suspected all of these. /pats herself on the shoulder

• That was fun to read! Thanks!

• I knew most of these. Oh these are the things that my parents say 24/7... 24/7 I tell you! lol...

• All of them

• Great take. Thank you

What Guys Said 18

• I knew about the juice in meat.
    I knew about water and conduction. Although it's about more than the impurities.
    I knew about the Great Wall.
    I knew about cracking knuckles.

I think I read that about penguins before, but not sure. I do know that a lot of birds mate for life, or at least long term. Some birds can spend years just picking a mate and courting.

I disagree about the sugar. I most definitely get hyper when I get too much sugar. As a matter of fact if I really get a lot, I almost can't even handle it. I sometimes end up drinking alcohol just to come down. It can be very intense sometimes.

I knew about the baby birds. I'll add though that it's normal for fledglings to hop around on the ground for several days before they can fly. Unless they are very young, do NOT put them back in the nest. They are supposed to be on the ground. Hopping around on the ground strengthening their muscles is how they learn to fly. There are exceptions, but by default it's best to not put them back in the nest.

• Can't really judge anecdotal evidence, but studies have shown no connection between sugar and hyper-activeness. It might be that sugar affects you differently than other people for some reason or it's a placebo.

That's interesting about the baby birds. I'll have to keep that in mind.

• It could easily be a matter of interpretation and definitions used in studies. That's something you have to be careful of in all studies. For example what you saw may be referring to chronic hyperactivity, not short term energy levels, anxiety, etc. Chronic would mean it causes a long term persistent condition that doesn't wear off after the initial affects have worn off. In other words it could be a matter of a scientific use of a word vs every day use of a word.

With me it's definitely not placebo. It's too intense for that. It feels like a serious drug overdose. If it's not too bad I can exercise or walk a couple of miles. If that doesn't do it, then alcohol will help counter it.

• I know, I'm an engineer. One of the studies was about sugar rush in children I think, but it's been a while since I read em.

Severity and intensity doesn't actually leave out placebo (the human brain is amazingly strong), but I'd agree. You most likely have some type of over sensitivity to glucose.

• I knew all of the above, but when it comes to senses, pressure, pain and heat are all covered by touch... just like sweet, salty and sour are all covered by taste. These are all just various sensations we can experience by using certain sense, just like we can hear different sounds by using hearing, or just like we can see different colors, sizes and shapes by using sight, or different pleasant or unpleasant scents/odors by using smell.
    But you are right, there are more than just five senses - Intuition or Premonition would be the sixth sense (also known as the "third eye").
    We also have sense of Balance & Direction, by using our Middle Ear.
    Some animals - like sharks for example, also have sense of electrical fields, by using their ampullar pores on their snouts, near the nostrils.
    They also have sense of lateral line, and vibrations, by using subdermal canals (which also enables them to feel changes in water pressure).
    Whales and bats have sense of echo-location (combination of hearing and sight by gathering informations about the size, shape and location of distant objects, from their sound-wave reflections).
    Some species of snakes have thermal sight/infrared vision (combination of sight and touch), which enables them to detect warm-blooded prey.
    Most insects have sense of pheromonal sight/somatic perception (combination of sight, smell, touch and taste) - they can see particles of certain aroma in the air, they can feel taste of certain food by touching it with their tentacles.
    Great Take, keep it up 😎 😎

• I'm not sure how much use the fact about water is, because you are unlikely to ever come across "pure" water, where the statement of it being a great conductor would actually be false. But I suppose pointless nitpicking was the main idea of this, so job well done.

• Fun one, but pressure pain and heat would all seem to fall under the broader category of touch/ feel hmmm

• Yeah that's where it becomes a choice on how you want to divide them. Different nerve endings monitor them.

• "The initiation of proprioception is the activation of a proprioreceptor in the periphery.[18] The proprioceptive sense is believed to be composed of information from sensory neurons located in the inner ear (motion and orientation) and in the stretch receptors located in the muscles and the joint-supporting ligaments (stance)." "Although it was known that finger kinesthesia relies on skin sensation, recent research has found that kinesthesia-based haptic perception relies strongly on the forces experienced during touch.[24] This research allows the creation of "virtual", illusory haptic shapes with different perceived qualities." Sounds a lot like some of the other ones! I just think of the "5 senses" as being the family level classification, whereas proprioception would be more like the genus level. I'm sure that I'm probably wrong though, I've just heard other people before try to get into a supernatural sese, or a sense for astral projection type stuff, so I'm wary of it.

• Yeah maybe, it's all semantics any way :D

• Nice MyTake! : )

• Thanks

• I knew all except that steak (I really don’t eat them) and sugar (I never gave it a thought, this is completely outside of me) and penguins (don’t care about them).
    But it’s nice to spread knowledge, sure.

• I knew all but one, the baby bird one.

• I knew all of that.

• And here I thought it was going to be about pronunciation.

• Very interesting

• Actually sugar does provide a quick energy boost as it is rapidly converted to glucose.

• Another one a lot of people seem to believe, that is actually complete bullshit, is that chewing gum takes X years to digest. It doesn't.

• I actually tend to say "I'll get arthritis cracking those knuckles"

• Neat!

• Good take. I didn’t know many of them but makes sense

• I love women and have no issue with women

• Knew them all :D

My girlfriend used to say so many of those and say they were facts, used to get really pissed off at me correcting her!