Dear Millennials

This is the image that came up when I google image searched the word "Millennials".

Dear Millennials

Dear Millennials,

I'm firmly a GEN-X person. Many of the users on this site have parents or older relatives my age. I'm still a bit young to be a grand parent of a teen.

I don't want this to be a lecture. I really like you all. You have taken a lot of great things my generation did and maximized them. You are truly a digital generation and I think that's excellent. I like that you have many places you can express yourselves and gain acceptance from a community.

I am sorry many of you came of age hard hit by the economy, namely the recession. I had some glory days before then. It's been hard for a lot of people in my generation to recover - we were in the right place at the wrong time. But I see a lot of you making the best of it and working out how to have the things you need in life. That's a testament to the energy and hopefulness of youth.

I am really proud of you for taking some of this issues the previous two generations felt passionate about and radically redefined a number of things and pushed a very worthy agenda forward. When around me it looks dim I see you guys making a real difference in areas that matter a lot to me.

Dear Millennials

You teach me things every day. I got in the good habit of appreciating wisdom from whomever had it to offer, so I learn a lot from you even though you're younger. I hope you're learning a lot from us too - some continuity, some history, some of what it was like before life was so digital.

I hope you take the time to put down your phones sometimes to just enjoy the moment you are in.

I love that you really value nerdiness and intelligence even though your schools have been horrible. These days, you can nearly google up a better education than you can buy. Just develop your critical thinking skills and learn how to analyze what you read with a critical eye. Study some science and mathematics.

GAG is great. Never be afraid to ask the hard questions, or the ones you feel are silly. You have a million new ways to learn things than we did up until I was 20, then it was like an explosion of knowledge, and everyone could have access. I'm glad you have been raised in that time.

Take care of each other. Have fun. We have more in common than you may think.

Love,

MlleCake

Dear Millennials

2437
MlleCake is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• The last GOOD Generation... Who here remembers... when you could pump gas b4 you paid LOL... Gas under a dollar.. NO cell Phones... No internet... No FB... When MTV played Music videos... TRL countdown

Michael Jordan, Michael Jackson... The goonies... 80s movies Back to the Future... Indiana Jones...

• I remember those days too. But they are making their way in a world I never could have imagined.

https://youtu.be/A3ZVZVMIG7g

• Pump gas before you pay? Wait... Are you saying where you live you pay first? How the fuck does that work?
      The Goonies is still amazing, and Rage plays music videos on free to air.

What do the generations have to do with good movies, TV programs or customer service?

Most Helpful Girl

• Generation Z Baby!!! Yeah!!! why didn't they start with A? They're gonna run out of letters pretty quickly.

• Gen X got the name because we were right after the baby boomers and in some ways we got ignored as a generation. Then you guys got Y and Z. Sometimes Why? Because like Gen X, your generation got kind of ignored too.

• Ignored? I don't think so, everyone is talking about how Generation Z is more innovative, creative, determined, and task-oriented. The world claims that we will make a large proportion of the population in a few decades, and most of the US GDP will be fed by my generation. Our problem is that we are too competitive/stuck in our electronics.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 36

• Meh, you think it's just a gen-x boomer v millennial issue? Read a bit the same issues come up between every generation and the ones that came before it.

Showering the younger side in praise is almost as meaningless as having an irrational dislike and grudge against them. So many in every generation forget that they made the same mistakes, lose empathy and forget where they came from.

The other side like the OP would do nothing but offer praise and encouragement but is that really helpful for a generation which is acknowledged as perhaps the most spoiled in the history of the human species? Does everyone really forget that in the long run when you spoil someone they are the one who suffers most?

Only an honest look at both sides flaws and the reasons behind the disagreements and conflicts will produce any result worth the effort.

But hey I'm missing the point right? This wasn't about the issues this was about the OP winning points with the younger age group which dominates this board.

• The infograph is a little off with the whole "confidence" thing, but to be fair, hardly anyone knows what the word confidence means.(even if they think they do). If anything, I would say Millennials are less confident than any other generation, especially the women. Just look on the internet of all the forums of people saying they feel like they're "fat", "ugly", "worthless"-almost all wrote by Millennials. Isn't the "selfie" a sign of a low self-esteem? Think about it: You need to take a selfie, and post it everywhere as a desperate attempt to make yourself noticed. Look at Instagram filters-all used by low self-esteem women. I don't see any other generation posting insecure "rate me" posts on here (or anywhere else for that matter).

Sorry for nitpicking one aspect of it, but I'm one of the few TRUE confident Millennials I can think of. To be honest, I complain about my generation because we do seem like a generation without ambition, a hard work ethic, and to be blunt, we're quite stupid.

• That was actually impressive! I thank you for sharing this kind lady.

I honestly expected it to be a rant about how the millennials are a failed project (due to all that social media drama, increased laziness, plenty of stupid and unfunny memes and "meming" in the real world and basically trying to score bitches at loud clubs/parties filled mostly with bitches and drunk idiots).

But there is no doubt about the existence of the kinds of us, who did not fall down that path, so it's not all that hopeless.
    I was and still am someone, who is severely economically stripped. It's like this is the life, that I know is the "norm". I can only manage to get by and that's basically it.

Even if I'm not entirely fond of my generation, we aren't completely contaminated degenerates, although the scaling of it is fairly big enough.
    Because I still remember those times before such technological advancements took place. The times before smartphones and social media. It was more like the real deal and today very many are submerged into the smartphones too deep. It's sad to see how this was unfolded.

Nevertheless thanks again!

• This is far too uncritical.

I see what you're trying to do. You think they get given nothing but shit. I have some sympathy with that view myself.

But they've also got a LOT to work on. This Take seems one-sided without going into that, too.

• I feel like people mis-interpret what a millennial actually is. 1980 to 2000 y'all... they are 18 to 38 years old.

Aka, those teenage kids you see running around with their hooverboards and fidget spinners... NOT millennials! Some of us are almost 40! Jees!

• god damn millenials..
    I mean that in the worst sense possible. Put down your god damn phone and look at the fucking road... -.-

• The Millennial, my generation is a pathetic one. We know no real struggles, today we value feelings more than ideas, words over actions, freedom over responsibility and duty. Everything that our parents and grandparents made great, we undo. No commitments, no dedication and no values. I identify myself less as a millennial than you do as a gen x.

• the older generations essentially fucked up this country. Stop glorifying the old generations, they weren't great at all.

• OP generations are not limited to fucking america. Im sick of being lumped into the same group as those whiny peices of shit who need safe spaces just because an oompa loompa has been elected.

• @StickStickity13 I agree. Makes me sick. I hear so much anti millennial sentiment from the boomers. Failing to realize its impossible to buy a house in 2018 without a career like a real career not simply a "job" back then you could work in a factory and have an actual retirement. They also sold this country moved everything overseas weakening our infrastructure.

• As a millennial, I'm very different from my peers. In that I'm the only one I know who dislikes attention and hide my face on the internet, unlike most millennials, their selfies, and their "look at me" mentalities.

I'm too stern to be a millennial, I don't know why.

• Melenials are a lost cause. They don't know the difference between right and wrong. A man could be screwing your wife and still not want to stop it. An immigrant rapes a little girl ohhh can't blame the immigrant he does not know the laws and says it's part of his culture.

• The millennials are not in charge of who gets done for rape or not? Lol

• Well thank you for saying this, but as a Millennial I want just say that we do the things we have because we need to in order to survive. It's not like we're exceptional people (or at least any more exceptional than prior generations), we just realize that we need to do things a certain way to survive.

• The adversity has made exceptional people of many of you.

• I do worry about the seeming lack of hunger though... I'm sure that is changing, but when I was in college I saw a lot of very troubling complacency

• A nice Take; I'll simply say that the classification of generations is actually pretty nonsensical and has more to do with marketers trying to sell products rather than anything substantively philosophical. Generation classification is kind of illogical. It puts unnecessary figurative walls between us all.

• You make a good point. I really see "Millennials" as more of a continuum of who Gen-Xers were when we were younger. We would have done all the same stuff if we had all the same technology.

• Pffft. They 'value' nerdiness if it's on TV or their phones and has to do with scifi and Fantasy- even, and perhaps especially, the ones in technical fields - whereas their predecessors knew the difference between scifi and Science Fiction, and preferred the latter.

In essence, and pointing at your comment about critical thinking, a Scientific Practice in one's life is missing in everyone, and they are at the forefront of it.

• This is refreshing, mostly you hear bashing about our generation,. A lot of what we get bashed for isn't our fault.

• Thanks for kissing my butt with praises. I truly appreciate it. 😗

• I'm the same age as the OP. Very good thoughts. I agree 100%

• I was born in 1996 but I feel that I am more of an old person as far as my mentality is concerned! I think like the past generations and the millennial give me inferiority complex. I am not confident and I get nervous far too easily, sometimes feeling that I am totally worthless because always my mind is filled with unnecessary (and wild) thoughts that is hampering every part of my life... my social life, physical life, my mental and spiritual life.

But I would like to say I am lucky to have born at a time when I get so many benefits of technology, albeit I am far too much technologically challenged than my fellow counterparts.

• l am normal

• So am I.

• l know you are you are more than normal l have not forgoton you when are you coming to scotland edwin x

• Thanks

• Thanks.

• Thank you

• More from Guys
    16

What Girls Said 23

• I saw you say Gen-X and prepared myself for a beat down but that was nice! I like your optimism (although as a late-millennial/iGen person, I found it a little too optimistic—but that’s just my opinion 😂) and how you didn’t go the route of senseless insults that many older people tend to prescribe. Thanks!

• I know I technically am one, but I don't feel like one, I feel a lot older. But I always feel judged based on my age and because other millennials really don't know right or wrong - but there were people like that in every single generation, it just seems a lot more from us because police and the law are stricter, not because were worse.

• You know people are individuals, right?

Addressing generations as if they are a homogenous group is silly. Most of it is driven by substance free entertainment programs that simply copy each other and create an image of what people of a certain age are supposed to be.

Everyone, be yourself and stop letting people pigeon hole you into groups.

• I'm sick of getting shit on. Jesus you Xers should know what that's like, we called lazy but you guys got called stupid, I'd appreciate some self awareness.

• Nice to see someone saying something nice about the millennials for a change... They've been dealt shit and get nothing but shit for not turning it into gold...

• "These days, you can nearly google up a better education than you can buy."

Amen!

• Thanks for the take, but omg.. I just learnt I'm a millennial too..

• Everythings the same.. the technology is just better and the stress are much more

• Nice. I believe every generation has flaws and strengths.

• I thought this was gonna go another way but it didn't and that made me so happy even tho I'm a gen z

• This was very sweet!

• Thanks

• Agree

• Uhm... am I GenZ according to the definition?

• Great read

• Nice my take

• Thanks. As an “older millennial” I think sometimes people forget how terrible it was to come of age during a struggling era, with no jobs, stifled wages, friends being killed in two wars, etc.

• I love young millennials & gen Z for their fights to make things better.

• Born between 1980 and 2000? That's a huge gap.
    I was born in the 80's and don't consider myself a millenial at all.

• Thanks for not being condescending or punch down!

Almost all the time, I've gotten this about my generation:
    The kids today with the hair and the clothes.

• Dear every-other-generation-older-than-millennials...
    Fuck off.

• More from Girls
    3