Dear Boomers and Silents-- A Letter from Millennials

Dear Baby Boomers and Silents,

I know. We're your least favorite people to deal with, or hear from. It's a constant refrain. We're lazy. We're entitled. We're spoiled and special snowflakes who are too lazy to move out of our parent's basements, too selfish to have the grandkids you want to badly, we're too busy having casual sex.

I know, a short insult counts more than facts. But let's look at reality here for a moment. Let's start with the basic insult about how we millennials are such promiscuous little brats.

1. No, we're not sleeping around like Mad Men.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-millennials-less-sex-20160802-snap-story.html https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/there-isnt-really-anything-magical-about-it-why-more-millennials-are-putting-off-sex/2016/08/02/e7b73d6e-37f4-11e6-8f7c-d4c723a2becb_story.html?utm_term=.a556c47d05be

Or in short, "Recent research also shows that, overall, millennials — people born between the early 1980s and 2000 — have fewer sexual partners than baby boomers and those in Generation X, the group immediately preceding them."

2. While we're at it, abortion.

Or as my boomer parents put it, "They're having less kids because they're killing them all off."
Or as reality put it, abortion is at the lowest rate since Roe V Wade. The highest amount was in 1980 and 1981... Boomers and Silents enjoying their freedom. http://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2017/january/america-abortion-rate-hits-all-time-low-guttmacher.html

Oh and our predecessors? The Gen X? Which is surprisingly smaller size than us Millennials? Yeah, you aborted them off. "A fourth of my generation is missing. For every three people you see my age there is one person who didn’t make it out of the womb alive. They were aborted."

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/community/joco-913/joco-opinion/article37977546.html

3. Lazy!

Yeaaaah. 1970, the National Debt was 371 billion. https://www.thebalance.com/national-debt-by-year-compared-to-gdp-and-major-events-3306287 Way to go on debt management there. By the time I was old enough to vote, the national debt was safely in the trillions.

True entitlement is tripling the national debt since the 1980s and using the proceeds to spend lavishly on tax cuts and government programs that primarily provided short-term economic boosts, while refusing to raise the Social Security age of retirement or to reduce benefits, even as the gluttonous program careens toward unsustainability.

True entitlement is allowing the reasonable minimum wage that Baby Boomers enjoyed when they were our age to deteriorate while opting to cut taxes on the gains from stocks and bonds that they accrued during periods of debt-driven economic and stock-market surges – creating an economy where wage earners at all income levels, as of 2012, receive a smaller portion of economic output at any time since 1929.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2015/01/08/the_most_entitled_generation_isnt_millennials_its_baby_boomers_125184.html

How about economics? Oh wait. Average reak wages have risen about a dollar in 50 years. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/10/09/for-most-workers-real-wages-have-barely-budged-for-decades/

Let's also keep in mind that the Immigration Act of 1965 started bringing in massive immigration... and yes. Mass immigration brings down wages, simply because there are more workers. Hell, Boomers are still open about how they prefer cheap immigrant labor, legal or illegal, over Americans.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/wisconsin-dairy-industry-undocumented-workers_us_59c3cfb7e4b06f93538cfd3f

“Even if an American guy came up right now, I don’t know if I’d hire him,” said Keller, who employs five immigrant workers. “I’d rather have a Latino.”

Or just as places like Toys R Us. https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/30/us/toys-r-us-brings-temporary-foreign-workers-to-us-to-move-jobs-overseas.html

Keep in mind, the Silents grew up in an age with trade protectionism. That's how they had such nice paying jobs, for a large part--companies literally couldn't go hire cheaper people in poor nations at exploitative rates.

4. Divorce!

Let's examine more of those family values the Boomers and Silents love. Let's look at divorce rates for a second, see what the sacred vows of marriage meant to the prior generations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/06/23/144-years-of-marriage-and-divorce-in-the-united-states-in-one-chart/?utm_term=.b554955fde8a

Yeah. Thanks for that lesson by example about how important relationships are.

5. Safety....

Oh, totally thanks for safeguarding Europe against communism, bringing down the Iron Curtain. Safeguarding the USA for the future....

"Top US general: China will be 'greatest threat' to US by 2025"

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/26/politics/dunford-us-china-greatest-threat/index.html

Just a 5 million man army with plots to spread across the world, who the USA single single handed funded thanks to Boomers and Silents deciding that we'd be far better off buying Chinese goods than having American manufacturing jobs.

Yes. We Millennials are the worst. Thanks for financing the rise of the biggest threat to the nation, thanks for bankrupting the government for entitlement programs, thanks for bringing in as much immigration as possible while sending everything from car factories to call centers overseas which ensures we Millennials need to spend as long as possible in school if we want a decent paying job... but I remember, we're lazy and won't work, and that's why we're at home struggling with massive debt.

Yes. We millennials really are the worst.

311
RationalMale is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 3

• You are mock worthy because you are the generation that can not go a whole day without getting offended by something.

Gender - there are two genders: male and female. That is it. You are not enlightened to think there are more than two genders; you are just dumb.

Safe Zones in college - Special snowflakes will melt if they hear an idea they do not like.

Bananas are even offendable - Greek retreat is cancelled at Ole' Miss because a banana peel is found in a tree www.dailymail.co.uk/.../...t-banana-peel-tree.html

Winners/Losers - can't have winners or losers anymore so scoring is no longer allowed in kids' sports.

This is why you are mocked. But the people that raised you to be like this should be mocked just as much if not more.

Society is doomed and your generation is the bell tolling. But the generations that raised you like this are the ones to blame and unfortunately, you guys are not taught to think for yourself so you do not fight against the joke that you guys have become. It is all very sad to me.

• My use of you does not mean you specifically but millennials in general.

• @Silver158 Thank you for coming to my rescue. Whether needed or not, it was very much appreciated and I thank you for you it. :)

• you're welcome :) I just thought the guy was in the wrong

• Stop playing the victim... sometimes life sucks. Blaming us for everything isn't going to change anything. Stop with the whining.

• Actually, Rissyanne, You and I are in Generation X. The Boomers are now the elders, and the Silents the very elderly now passing away.

• Opinion owner ... Dont listen to the asker. He's just a "Swedish feminist guy " who hates himself and blames everything contrary to himself.

• @Djaaay Yea, you just summed up my life

• i don't think you're reaching your target audience

What Guys Said 10

• Your points largely miss the mark.

For example, #3: Millenials are lazy. But you seem to think that the national debt - which is incurred by government spending - is the measure of a person's individual laziness.

When people call millenials lazy, they are referring to the statistics showing that people in their 20's and 30's are often jobless by choice - living for free in their parent's basement playing Xbox all day, and dressing up as a rainbow unicorn to attend Comicon. Then blaming society for their woes.

When people call millenials entitled, they may be referring to the fact that boomers and such grew up in a time of war. They had to fight for their rights, and scrape by through rationing what little they had. This made them tough as nails, and they rarely complained. Millenials on the other hand lose their shit when they get a headshot from a game of Counterstrike, or when their smartphone battery dies, or when there's not enough random strangers "liking" their instagram posting of their breakfast. "Outrage" is now defined as a white man with dreadlocks because it is "cultural appropriation", rather than something like government oppression of the people. Entitlement is expecting college, university and trade school to be paid for by the government, rather than earning it through hard work and determination. The same goes with housing. Millennials complain that they don't have a million dollars to buy a house when they're 21. They see their parents and grandparents in their current state... at age 50-60... owning their house, yet they do not recognize that it took them 20-30+ years of working to pay it off.

Safe Zones in university - a concept made up by whiny, weak millenials - are places for young adults with the fragility of an infant to hide from assaults of speech and opposing ideas.

Gender neutral ideaology - there are only 2 genders. Gender confusion, trans, gender fluid are all mental illnesses. The <0.01% of the population afflicted with this mental illness want you to believe that gender neutrality is the norm - and you have embraced it. They call gender identity "a social construct" - yet fail to answer the question "so what?". They don't explain what they believe the benefits are to raising a gender neutral child, or even have evidence to suggest it is beneficial at all. Your generation is so obsessed with which bathroom they want to take a shit and piss in.

Grow up for fucks sake.

• As a (begrudging) millenial myself I whole heartedly agree with this post.
      Not entirely with the spiel on trans but i can agree to disagree there.

To be very honest though im more concerned about gen x.
      (Defined as being those born late 90s to 2000s who grew up with the internet from a very young age)
      My younger sister is 7, is on Youtube everyday watching makeup tutorials and grown men pretending to be babies.
      I am SO concerned for the newest generation.

• @BaileyisDarcy

Many of the things GenX does are similar to millenials.
      The good thing for you is that you realize the faults of the many in your generation.

Knowing their stupidity is necessary to understand how to avoid it. There are many millenials who have become very successful (as defined by their income) via Youtube, instagram... etc. Harnessing the power of all the stupid people and cashing in on them. Others simply take the tried and true way of working hard and staying focused on their objective.

When most millenials are morons, it makes it so much easier for you to thrive above the average joe.

• Yup! The baby boomers sure as hell bankrupted and destroyed every fabric of this once great capitalist nation. The problem is that you millennials voted to give a hard core communist like Obama two terms in office and it's you idiots who are rioting at Trump rallies and calling for a communist revolution. I work with several milennials and i can tell you for a fact that those pussies are afraid of hard work or to even get there royal hands dirty. If I took that attitude I'd get fired on the spot! Your generation is spoiled and stupid! That's why we rag on you...

• “The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

-- Socrates

So you see, older people bitching about the youngsters being punks seems to be an old habit.

• Really I am reminded to paraphrase the saying "Nothing or nobody is perfect" - There is good and bad things about everything (within reason we would be long time working through the list item by item) - For sake of this answer there is nothing perfect, some stuff that is off the scale bad with little to redeem it, that leaves a huge grey area of items that are not too far apart in levels of goodness - So who is to say if any generation is better or worse than any other generation.

• Your a product of your own generation , not ours. Your generation has decided to be victim's and losers , not ours. We didn't shape the gov. , yours is trying to today. Socialist gov. Is what robbed our generation of its core , your generation now try's to side with the socialist gov. Our generation operated mostly under God , your generation is mostly atheist. Funny how you disregard the facts and truth with your atheism. The only purpose an atheist has on earth is one reason, and nothing else... to show as an example to others that even atheist can show compassion and empathy towards another without believing on God. After that , your disposable. Soooooo bye !!

• I wonder what you have to say on this one :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW7jszRrI60

• Suffice to say, older gens always place everyone from one generation in a box and place the next in a box out of anger? spite? fear? I don't know..

• shame on you millennials

• I still see lots of excuses here. "Recession this, recession that." "You're the ones that raised us." "All the jobs are gone."

I'm a "millennial" (or am I?) and I am doing just fine for myself. I didn't even finish 4 full years of college, didn't even attend a university for any more than a semester, and I'm working full-time earning more than the average 4-year graduate.

The jobs, the opportunities, they are there. So many people out there play the victim, when really it seems like deep down, they're just afraid, to jump to that next level. I've been there, but the only way to move up in life is to go out on a limb, jump, and see if you fly. Yes, it's going to take a bit of school most likely, but take risks, work hard... prove your worth.

I swear some of these kids I've known, they stay in school forever, just wasting away their life in class. I was eager to get out of there and MAKE money dammit! lol. Stop SPENDING money and wasting time on a grossly OVERPRICED education and apply your skills and get some experience in the real world.

Yes, it's scary. A lifestyle change. Yes it demands more of your time. Yes, people will be unreasonable, you will have to sacrifice your own time for others and put up with things you don't want to. Higher responsibilities. BUT it's all the cost of getting ahead. You have to do what it takes.

Sure, times are different, but people blaming everyone and everything else for their problems, our society, it's the cowardly, very "millennial" thing to do in my opinion. Hate to say it, but that's how it is if you ask me. All these neo-liberal, socialist millennials wanting everything to come easy, it just doesn't work like that. What people fear are uncomfortable situations, decisions, lifestyle changes... Change itself. The more you embrace it, the better off you'll be.

• Every generation has its problems , I'm not blaming any particular generation for that but some have it better than others