1 y

Brains & Gender - Do Women and Men Really Think Differently?

It is absolutly clear, We differ in a lot of ways. Males and females. But why exactly are we so different? Today we'll dive deeper inside our heads and explore how the brains of the genders work.

Introduction:

On average men's brain tend to be 10% larger than those of the average female. But bigger does not always mean better. IQ tests have proven consistantly that men's and women's intellect are pretty much equal. So are the brains really that different?

Fun fact:

Women and men use different parts of the brain to activly do the same task.

Emotions:

Women usually have a larger limbic system (a group of subcortical structures (such as the hypothalamus, the hippocampus, and the amygdala) of the brain that are concerned especially with emotion and motivation) than men. Men have a more difficult time understanding emotions not verbalized but can think more logically, Women on the other hand have a more broader view of thinking & understanding but their emotions can sometimes influence decisions. Women also are usually more empathic.

Brain acitivy difference:

A difference worth looking into closely. the female brain for example, thanks to their ability to process more white matter. Will often revisit emotional memories more then a men would do. But men in general are designed a bit differently. They often choose to analyze a emotional memory and then move onto the next task.

Fun fact:

When it comes to aging, the ma

le brain usually shrinks faster than that of the female.

Pain & Sense of direction:

Women tend to be more sensitive to pain as they percieve it more intensely than men. This is because with women the amygdala in the left brain is activated(more internal functions). And with males the right amygdala is activated wich has more connections with external functions.

On the other hand men have shown to have better geographic and visual memory and thinking. Meaning they tend to have a better sense of direction and remembering where locations are.

Risk taking:

Male brains tend to be more of risk takers than women are . this is because male brains get a bigger burst of endorphins(a chemical naturally, releasedin the brain to reduce pain, that in large amounts can make youfeel relaxed or full of energy) when put in a risky or challeging spot. The bigger the possible reward is. the more risks the men would take.

Fun fact:

men think about sex more often than women. A study found that in a one-week period, the average number of sex-related thoughts in men was 18.6 and for women, it was 9.9

Intelligence, Self control & stress:

Male iq's have a great variance than female's do. This means while females cluster toward the middle. More males occupy the extreme high and low on the IQ scale. Men on average tend to have wearker impulse control. The brain area that is responsible for aggression control and anger are larger in woman than in men's brain. Perhaps that's why there is to some degree a larger male rate of violence. When it comes to stress both male and female will release a hormone called oxytocin. However females also release estrogen and combine this with the other hormone. This produces a relaxing and calming effect.

Disorders:

Women are more likely to suffer from mood disorders where males are more likely to suffer from neurological disorders. For example: males are more likely to be autistic or dyslexic, they also have a higher chance of suffering from ADHD. Women are far more prone to depression though this is because male brains process serotonin way quicker.

I'll leave this post as what it is for now. as this list could go on and on and on. If you've made it through the end thanks for reading and tell me where i could improve and if you'd like to read more like this. Thank you for your time.

23
33

Most Helpful Girl

• MelaninDoll
    Based on the female and male comment section I would say the MyTake was spot on. Just take a look at the differences in the male responses and the female responses.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

2233
  • SirRexington
    I love psychology and sociology, leaning about human behavior. I knew some of this already but it's always good to refresh your memory and maybe pick up on something you didn't before.

Men and women are different. But that doesn't mean we aren't socially equal. Though equality and being the same, treated the same after two different things in my opinion.
    • I agree with you, same goes for me. Always wanna learn. thanks for your comment.

• JDavid25
    This was great.. I always love learnin about how we genuinely differ so I can make sense of the ways of men and women.. Of course I can't make sense of individual choice, but it's always interestin learnin this stuff.. I knew some of this but I never knew the details.. Great Take!
  • Anpu23
    I've written about this from a slightly different direction The Difference Between Male and Female Sexual Arousal ↗
    The thing is that guys brains are wired for kinetic response to stimulus, to act rather than talk. There have been studies that show men have a stronger emotional response www.google.com/.../1077730 yet how they cope is different. Further the hormone estrogen maybe linked to aggression www.ucsf.edu/.../estrogen-link-male-aggression-sheds-new-light-sex-specific-behaviors especially in males. Testosterone on the other hand seems to be linked to kindness and Fairplay www.dailymail.co.uk/.../...-makes-kind-genial.html As for a larger rate of male violence it is purely conjecture as female perpetrated violence is extremely under reported and subject to so much controversy that I am not aware of any double blind study of gender based aggression payterns.
  • WalterRadio
    During the early fetal stage, there is a wiring of the brain. This is influenced by hormones. There is a female wiring and a male wiring that are different in some ways.

There is a hypothesis that most homosexuals had an incorrect hormone balance during this critical phase, which resulted in miswiring. Male homosexuality is 80% correlated with genetics, and correlated with extraordinarily fertile mothers, so the hypothesis seems to have merit.
  • BrittBratt2416
    Of course we think differently, and do things differently. We're the same species but two different sexes, these differences are great cause they can be used to balance out a child's life and growth development. You learn a little something from dad and mom, this makes men and women great teammates and black each other out as well.
  • EpicDweeb
    Any married man can tell you his wife thinks about things differently. Women's bodies produce more hormones so I'd guess that's a large way in which women's thought processes end up being different from those of men. Their moods shift more due to hormones and they feel emotions more powerfully than do men. Not a bad thing, but it's a very clear, gender-based, difference.
  • Logorithim
    Anecdotally, there seems to me to be a "male brain" and a "female brain", which usually, but not always, correlate to biological gender. These brains do seem to have some differences, but when you're talking about something as complex and poorly understood as the human brain, little is simple.
  • BaileyisDarcy
    I didn't read your take but...

I think mns brains are bigger so there's less wiggle room. When a guy gets hit, brain damage happens because his brain hit the side ot the skull.

When packaging an item for shipping you put it in the smallest box you can or you make it bigger by adding padding.

I reckon thats what the mans brain has dobe. Simply filling more space so less damage occurs if it gets hit.
  • DeeDeeDeVour
    Am I the only woman who thinks than loading & unloading children or seniors from a car, van or SUV from the driver's side straight onto the middle of the road is dangerous & inconsiderate? While passing elementary & middle schools, it irks me so much when mothers or female guardians do this. I have not yet seen a guy do this.

It's clearly safer to load/unload children/seniors from the passenger side onto the sidewalk. (Passenger side = right side in countries like the Philippines, USA; unlike passenger side = left side in England, Japan, Australia) My boyfriend & other male friends always thank me for having a man's way of thinking when it comes to motoring.
    • I HATE THAT! IT SCARES ME SO MUCH! I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT THOUGHT ABOUT THESE KIND OF THINGS.

• Mi2mi2a
    Good job on this take. It was interisting how much we differ.
  • Cowgirlforever
    Thanks for this. It shoes just how much we differ. It was an interesting article.
    • Thank you so much :)

• Your welcome

• *you're

• Gendegamo
    I think that women are more emotionals in other circumstances than men. We have different hobbies as weve been kids and.
    Girls are more feminism and boys for macho types.
  • hellionthesagereborn
    Good take, also men don't just think about sex more often then women, we also think about sleep and food more often too.
  • Of course we think differently: I don't shop uncontrollably, I can drive a car for more than 30 minutes without hitting something, I can tell the difference between a sports car and a sedan.
    Men and women have VERY different brains.
    • Jon_25

Gees who did you meet that was pretending to be a girl? I know several girls who are great drivers and don't like shopping any more than I do. And half my brothers don't even know what a sedan is. That just has to do with if you're into cars or not.

• Jon_25
    Wow this was really interesting to read. I didn't know we were different in all those ways. But now that I think about it it makes sense. That explains some things for sure. Thanks!
  • MarketData
    I was watching Varg Vikernes on his YouTube channel (ThuleanPerspective) and he said, quite off the top of his head, that the smartest men are smarter than the smartest women, but that the stupidest men are really, really stupid. Which was interesting.
  • D_Bone_Steak
    A female's bell curve is a bit more centered. So yeah us guys provide the real retards but we also generate the real geniuses.
  • cherryphi82
    The problem is not in these biological differences, but that the specific attributes are valued in one but not valued in the other, or simply of lesser value per se. For example, we forgive men their poor impulse control because we value extremely high IQ still more than empathy or emotional IQ. Women get blasted for being too emotional whereas men's poor impulse control as a side effect of brain difference is often explained away as "boys will be boys".
    • That is something I can agree with. The great thing about men and women being different is that we both contribute to society. Just look at the different jobs men and women tend to take! If women weren't different to men, then we would have a huge shortage of kindergarten teachers and nurses, professions which are extremely important but not as highly valued. Masculine traits and feminine traits are both needed, but they work in different circumstances. Natural selection isn't stupid.

• @AD240pCharlie I do agree with your premise that men and women are different but of equal value, and also that they complement each other. The thing I'm a little iffy on is the different professions. While it's true that teaching and caretaking jobs are often filled by women, this not only hasn't always been so (teachers used to be majority men) but it's also what is encouraged in each gender. Otherwise you'd have to argue that women are not good at science and math, which is simply not true. Women are underrepresented in engineering and science professions because they have been discouraged and stigmatized for being bad at those particular subject or because they are seen as "unwomanly".

• In our modern western society, no one is really "discouraged" from doing anything if that's what they wish to do. These behavioral differences do moslty come from our biology, but that doesn't mean that they are universal, any more so than men being naturally taller means that it's unnatural for a woman to be 5'10. The only problem I see today is how these differences are treated. Femininity is either seen as weak or empowering while masculinity is seen as either powerful or toxic.

• Logan27
    Men are hardwired to provide. Men are capable of extreme, real love for women as this boosts his ability to defend her. Women are hardwired to be selfish, as they are the carriers of our species. Women are incapable of real love as they have to think of themselves first. Many men, that love their woman would die for them but how many women can say the same? Hell women don't even love their own kids, hence why they support and have abortions. So one gender is to provide and one gender is to survive - at the expense of everyone else. These are facts by the way.
  • HereIbe
    Well, let's see. We do not pretend to have telepathic powers or that our partners are supposed to have telepathic powers.

We are definitely far less likely to pull passive-aggressive bullshit and blame our partners for pulling the bullshit.
    • This is some sexist shit here you inbred hick.

• HereIbe

@BeHappy1985, awwwwwww, you're still butthurt that I called you out on your total ignorance of TV production, aren't you? Wassamattababy? You not like getting shown up as an ignorant fool in public?

Although it is REALLY CUTE of you to start stalking my posts, little boy.

• Jon_25

What do you mean? Girls aren't telepathic or blame guys for their own shit any more than guys do, that I've seen.

• Aki6000
    Hmm you forgot that males have a higher sex drive compared to women due to high levels of testosterone.
  • Browneye57
    Yes, absolutely. But the FI keeps trying to tell us we're all the same. FAIL
  • ovoxo_
    I wonder if a feminist will comment angrily to your take
  • Wizard-of-bras
    Men and women have different strengths but I feel men have more to offer when everything is taken into account
  • bubble_tea
    Great take! I didn't know about the brain activity difference and the fun fact ^^
  • Gedaria
    YES. Pity men cannot think like women this world would be a lot better place...
    • Most greatest inventions still made by men.

• Gedaria

@MarketData true. but they can learn a lot from women.

• Jon_25

Why?

• jacquesvol
    They're differently conditioned by society. Thus YES.
  • ericclayton
    Men and women are different. Hence, why we like each other.
  • monkeynutts
    Good read, I will have to learn more about neuroscience.
  • torken
    intersting, good take
  • Psycho21924
    Great take
  • DJZest
    It's clear that you are not very well-versed on the matter.
  • Emma_240302
    Yes agreed we get more moody than men do
  • Some_Goof
    Thank you for sharing.
  • Pamina
    Nice summary, thanks.
  • Nice222
    Great take I would love to read more like this.
  • CubsterShura
    I'm here to read the guys' comments. :v
  • melissasnyder004
    We're basically the same
    • JDavid25

Science says differently.. LOL..

• No, we aren't and the indoctrination at most schools today won't change that fact.

• Birdy12
    I'd love it if you shared more
  • Hannajenky
    In school they told us men and women are the same
  • Kandy-Kane
    Very good
  • dandee55
    Interesting.
  • Yuki_JPN
    Interesting
  • Sabretooth
    i find women to be more riskier.
  • kostas25
    Well said...
  • Panteragram
    Good job
  • Kelly6
    Absolutly different
  • Revolver_
    Women and men really do think differently
  • Anonymous
    Hmmmmm the problem with people is that we are a very hard bunch to study, and the only way to investigate what traits are biological Vs. what traits are brought on by society and its expectations would be through research... but to do this properly would probably be through methods that are highly un-ethical because you would need a control group who you could bring up in normal society and a group who from their birth have no free will and brought up in a simulated society (prison) where every aspect of current male female stereo types are reversed. The results would probably be very interesting but this like many other studies that could be done on humans won't happen due to aforementioned reason.
    When you hear of a study done on people you have to be sceptical, the various ways we live our lives make us unique and interesting, but they also make us lousy experiment subjects... Unless of course we all are currently in an experiment hahaha.
  • Anonymous
    reverse everything

men like fucking
    women like being fucked

men do not care about words
    women care about words

women run more on feelings
    men run on less emotion

its not hard to figure out women
    they are very simple