Brains & Gender - Do Women and Men Really Think Differently?

It is absolutly clear, We differ in a lot of ways. Males and females. But why exactly are we so different? Today we'll dive deeper inside our heads and explore how the brains of the genders work.

Introduction:

On average men's brain tend to be 10% larger than those of the average female. But bigger does not always mean better. IQ tests have proven consistantly that men's and women's intellect are pretty much equal. So are the brains really that different?

Fun fact:

Women and men use different parts of the brain to activly do the same task.

Emotions:

Women usually have a larger limbic system (a group of subcortical structures (such as the hypothalamus, the hippocampus, and the amygdala) of the brain that are concerned especially with emotion and motivation) than men. Men have a more difficult time understanding emotions not verbalized but can think more logically, Women on the other hand have a more broader view of thinking & understanding but their emotions can sometimes influence decisions. Women also are usually more empathic.

Brain acitivy difference:

A difference worth looking into closely. the female brain for example, thanks to their ability to process more white matter. Will often revisit emotional memories more then a men would do. But men in general are designed a bit differently. They often choose to analyze a emotional memory and then move onto the next task.

Fun fact:

When it comes to aging, the ma

le brain usually shrinks faster than that of the female.

Pain & Sense of direction:

Women tend to be more sensitive to pain as they percieve it more intensely than men. This is because with women the amygdala in the left brain is activated(more internal functions). And with males the right amygdala is activated wich has more connections with external functions.

On the other hand men have shown to have better geographic and visual memory and thinking. Meaning they tend to have a better sense of direction and remembering where locations are.

Risk taking:

Male brains tend to be more of risk takers than women are . this is because male brains get a bigger burst of endorphins(a chemical naturally, releasedin the brain to reduce pain, that in large amounts can make youfeel relaxed or full of energy) when put in a risky or challeging spot. The bigger the possible reward is. the more risks the men would take.

Fun fact:

men think about sex more often than women. A study found that in a one-week period, the average number of sex-related thoughts in men was 18.6 and for women, it was 9.9

Intelligence, Self control & stress:

Male iq's have a great variance than female's do. This means while females cluster toward the middle. More males occupy the extreme high and low on the IQ scale. Men on average tend to have wearker impulse control. The brain area that is responsible for aggression control and anger are larger in woman than in men's brain. Perhaps that's why there is to some degree a larger male rate of violence. When it comes to stress both male and female will release a hormone called oxytocin. However females also release estrogen and combine this with the other hormone. This produces a relaxing and calming effect.

Disorders:

Women are more likely to suffer from mood disorders where males are more likely to suffer from neurological disorders. For example: males are more likely to be autistic or dyslexic, they also have a higher chance of suffering from ADHD. Women are far more prone to depression though this is because male brains process serotonin way quicker.

I'll leave this post as what it is for now. as this list could go on and on and on. If you've made it through the end thanks for reading and tell me where i could improve and if you'd like to read more like this. Thank you for your time.

2333

Most Helpful Girl

• Based on the female and male comment section I would say the MyTake was spot on. Just take a look at the differences in the male responses and the female responses.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 22

• Of course we think differently, and do things differently. We're the same species but two different sexes, these differences are great cause they can be used to balance out a child's life and growth development. You learn a little something from dad and mom, this makes men and women great teammates and black each other out as well.

• I didn't read your take but...

I think mns brains are bigger so there's less wiggle room. When a guy gets hit, brain damage happens because his brain hit the side ot the skull.

When packaging an item for shipping you put it in the smallest box you can or you make it bigger by adding padding.

I reckon thats what the mans brain has dobe. Simply filling more space so less damage occurs if it gets hit.

• I think that women are more emotionals in other circumstances than men. We have different hobbies as weve been kids and.
    Girls are more feminism and boys for macho types.

• Good job on this take. It was interisting how much we differ.

• Thanks for this. It shoes just how much we differ. It was an interesting article.

• Thank you so much :)

• @Logan27 Lol!

• @cherryphi82 did you do it? Or are you too lazy? I'm telling you it's like 70%...

• Am I the only woman who thinks than loading & unloading children or seniors from a car, van or SUV from the driver's side straight onto the middle of the road is dangerous & inconsiderate? While passing elementary & middle schools, it irks me so much when mothers or female guardians do this. I have not yet seen a guy do this.

It's clearly safer to load/unload children/seniors from the passenger side onto the sidewalk. (Passenger side = right side in countries like the Philippines, USA; unlike passenger side = left side in England, Japan, Australia) My boyfriend & other male friends always thank me for having a man's way of thinking when it comes to motoring.

• I HATE THAT! IT SCARES ME SO MUCH! I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT THOUGHT ABOUT THESE KIND OF THINGS.

• The problem is not in these biological differences, but that the specific attributes are valued in one but not valued in the other, or simply of lesser value per se. For example, we forgive men their poor impulse control because we value extremely high IQ still more than empathy or emotional IQ. Women get blasted for being too emotional whereas men's poor impulse control as a side effect of brain difference is often explained away as "boys will be boys".

• That is something I can agree with. The great thing about men and women being different is that we both contribute to society. Just look at the different jobs men and women tend to take! If women weren't different to men, then we would have a huge shortage of kindergarten teachers and nurses, professions which are extremely important but not as highly valued. Masculine traits and feminine traits are both needed, but they work in different circumstances. Natural selection isn't stupid.

• I guess just saying "slavery is natural" is a bit of a stretch, but the mentality behind it is natural. It's very common in chimpanzees for Omega males to be "owned" by one of the Beta or Alpha males and act as their servant in return for the last bit of food which would otherwise be saved for the leader.
      In chimpanzees, we've only observed this within groups of males, but we have no reason to believe that it doesn't happen with females as well.

• @AD240pCharlie Hmm... that is a far far stretch from buying people and transporting them for the exploitation of labor across continents.

• Great take! I didn't know about the brain activity difference and the fun fact ^^

• Great take

• Yes agreed we get more moody than men do

• Nice summary, thanks.

• We're basically the same

• I'm here to read the guys' comments. :v

• Very good

• Thank you for sharing.

• I'd love it if you shared more

• In school they told us men and women are the same

• Good job

• Interesting

• Absolutly different

• More from Girls
    2

What Guys Said 33

• I love psychology and sociology, leaning about human behavior. I knew some of this already but it's always good to refresh your memory and maybe pick up on something you didn't before.

Men and women are different. But that doesn't mean we aren't socially equal. Though equality and being the same, treated the same after two different things in my opinion.

• I agree with you, same goes for me. Always wanna learn. thanks for your comment.

• This was great.. I always love learnin about how we genuinely differ so I can make sense of the ways of men and women.. Of course I can't make sense of individual choice, but it's always interestin learnin this stuff.. I knew some of this but I never knew the details.. Great Take!

• I've written about this from a slightly different direction The Difference Between Male and Female Sexual Arousal ↗
    The thing is that guys brains are wired for kinetic response to stimulus, to act rather than talk. There have been studies that show men have a stronger emotional response www.google.com/.../1077730 yet how they cope is different. Further the hormone estrogen maybe linked to aggression www.ucsf.edu/.../estrogen-link-male-aggression-sheds-new-light-sex-specific-behaviors especially in males. Testosterone on the other hand seems to be linked to kindness and Fairplay www.dailymail.co.uk/.../...-makes-kind-genial.html As for a larger rate of male violence it is purely conjecture as female perpetrated violence is extremely under reported and subject to so much controversy that I am not aware of any double blind study of gender based aggression payterns.

• Any married man can tell you his wife thinks about things differently. Women's bodies produce more hormones so I'd guess that's a large way in which women's thought processes end up being different from those of men. Their moods shift more due to hormones and they feel emotions more powerfully than do men. Not a bad thing, but it's a very clear, gender-based, difference.

• Anecdotally, there seems to me to be a "male brain" and a "female brain", which usually, but not always, correlate to biological gender. These brains do seem to have some differences, but when you're talking about something as complex and poorly understood as the human brain, little is simple.

• During the early fetal stage, there is a wiring of the brain. This is influenced by hormones. There is a female wiring and a male wiring that are different in some ways.

There is a hypothesis that most homosexuals had an incorrect hormone balance during this critical phase, which resulted in miswiring. Male homosexuality is 80% correlated with genetics, and correlated with extraordinarily fertile mothers, so the hypothesis seems to have merit.

• I was watching Varg Vikernes on his YouTube channel (ThuleanPerspective) and he said, quite off the top of his head, that the smartest men are smarter than the smartest women, but that the stupidest men are really, really stupid. Which was interesting.

• Good take, also men don't just think about sex more often then women, we also think about sleep and food more often too.

• Of course we think differently: I don't shop uncontrollably, I can drive a car for more than 30 minutes without hitting something, I can tell the difference between a sports car and a sedan.
    Men and women have VERY different brains.

• Gees who did you meet that was pretending to be a girl? I know several girls who are great drivers and don't like shopping any more than I do. And half my brothers don't even know what a sedan is. That just has to do with if you're into cars or not.

• Wow this was really interesting to read. I didn't know we were different in all those ways. But now that I think about it it makes sense. That explains some things for sure. Thanks!

• Men are hardwired to provide. Men are capable of extreme, real love for women as this boosts his ability to defend her. Women are hardwired to be selfish, as they are the carriers of our species. Women are incapable of real love as they have to think of themselves first. Many men, that love their woman would die for them but how many women can say the same? Hell women don't even love their own kids, hence why they support and have abortions. So one gender is to provide and one gender is to survive - at the expense of everyone else. These are facts by the way.

• A female's bell curve is a bit more centered. So yeah us guys provide the real retards but we also generate the real geniuses.

• Well, let's see. We do not pretend to have telepathic powers or that our partners are supposed to have telepathic powers.

We are definitely far less likely to pull passive-aggressive bullshit and blame our partners for pulling the bullshit.

• This is some sexist shit here you inbred hick.

• @Jon_25, girls aren't telepathic, but they act like the believe they're telepathic. I have lost track of the number of times some woman has decided to inform me what I "really" mean, "really" think, or "really" feel.

• Oh ya, I guess that's annoying sometimes you're right. Although not all girls do that. They do do it much more than guys do though, you're right.

• Hmm you forgot that males have a higher sex drive compared to women due to high levels of testosterone.

• I wonder if a feminist will comment angrily to your take

• Yes, absolutely. But the FI keeps trying to tell us we're all the same. FAIL

• Men and women have different strengths but I feel men have more to offer when everything is taken into account

• YES. Pity men cannot think like women this world would be a lot better place...

• Most greatest inventions still made by men.

• Why do you think that? Guys have a lot of good things that they naturally contribute to themselves, their families, their societies and the world at large. Guys are more likely to risk themselves for others, to do the thing that others don't want to do for the betterment of all, to put themselves last.
      Guys also have a tendency to recognize a situation and create solutions for them. Hence inventions are usually from men, they think mechanically and are more likely to understand mechanical principles, not due to training but due to the way their brain works.

• @Anpu23 I meant @Gedaria but thanks, that does make sense.

• Men and women are different. Hence, why we like each other.

• They're differently conditioned by society. Thus YES.

• More from Guys
    13