How Do You Know Your Cat Loves You?

Purring

How Do You Know A Cat Loves You?

The most obvious and common way cats show their happiness and love is through purring. Cats have a special little motor inside them that get started when they are relaxed and enjoying something. You’ll often hear their rumbling, vibrating noise while you are petting your cat. Purrs can also mean your cat is upset or in pain but it's not as common.

Rolling

How Do You Know A Cat Loves You?

Cats show their love by playing with their favourite people. Children tend to throw themselves on the ground and roll around during a tantrum, but when your cat does it, it means they are excited to see you. Cats may walk or run up to you and throw themselves on the ground and begin to roll around. This is a loving greeting and means they want your attention, especially if they show you their belly.

Head Bunting

How Do You Know A Cat Loves You?

Bunting is when your cat rubs their cheeks on you or an object, head-butts you with their forehead, or rubs their head on you. It's a way for your cat to leave his scent on you, marking their territory. Cats do this when they love something or someone. They may practice bunting on other pets or their favorite humans.

Scratching

How Do You Know A Cat Loves You?

Scratching leaves both scented and visual marks of ownership to a cat. Pay attention to where your cat scratches the most. The areas most important to a cat are often associated with the owner.

Kneading

How Do You Know A Cat Loves You?

Kneading behaviours hearken back to ​kittenhood. Kitten paws knead against the mother cat’s breasts to induce milk to be released. Adult cats continue this behaviour when they’re feeling most relaxed, content, and loved. That’s often when they're being petted on their owner’s lap. Think of kneading as a distinct expression of adoration.

Hunting and Gifting Prey

How Do You Know A Cat Loves You?

Cats are adorable but they're still tiny carnivores who have hunting instincts. Cats may catch everything from toys to mice and they often share their bounty with those they love. Cats who present you with a catch deserve praise. They wouldn’t bring these special gifts if they didn’t love you.

Playing

How Do You Know A Cat Loves You?

Kittens play out of pure enjoyment and their most favorite playmate is typically a trusted and loved companion. Some cats may actually control the interaction by moving just out of reach so you are forced to come to them and start playing.

Sleeping

How Do You Know A Cat Loves You?

Cats typically sleep up to 16 hours a day. Since they are the most vulnerable while sleeping, the place your cat chooses to snooze must be a secure and trusted location. There is no greater loving compliment than a cat picking your lap as their favourite sleep spot.

Loving Eyes

How Do You Know A Cat Loves You?

A kitty’s eyes are proportionately huge. As such, cat eyes are important assets for survival, yet extremely vulnerable. Cats that place their faces and wide open eyes near a person are expressing great trust and love. A slow “eye blink” from across the room is considered a cat kiss.

Tail Posture

How Do You Know A Cat Loves You?

If you've ever petted a cat, you've probably encountered the “elevator butt” pose which invites you to pay particular attention to the base of the tail. Cats love to have this body area scratched. They also use their upright tails to signal their love. When a cat approaches you with their tail held straight up and the end slightly tipped over, it's a sign of love. A cat that holds their rear end up in your face is also showing a sign of affection. Kittens greet their mother with tails flagged high in respect and adult cats continue this behaviour with their favourite people.

Meowing

How Do You Know A Cat Loves You?

Cats rarely meow at other cats. Typically, only kittens meow to their mothers and they grow out of the habit as adults. Your adult cat uses these vocalizations specifically to interact with people. Just like us, cats don't "talk" to people they dislike, so even when your cat pesters you with lots of meows, remember that they are interacting with you out of love.

Licking

How Do You Know A Cat Loves You?

Cats spend an enormous amount of time self-grooming and friendly cats also groom each other. Cats that groom their favourite people, by licking their skin or hair or even nibbling or sucking on their clothing, indicate great affection. This spreads a familiar scent and helps mark their person as an important part of the family group.

3455
RedRobin is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guys

• Cats are truly the best pet to have unless they absolutely hate you.

• Sometimes if they hate being touched it's not necessarily that they 'hate' you it's that they're afraid because they've been abused or something when they were a baby

• That’s the same with me! I have a cat named Charlie who genuinely shows affection and rolls over for belly rubs! His brother however keeps his distance unless it’s dinner time. His brother also runs away if you try to pet him.

Most Helpful Girls

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 53

• My cat brings me rabbits and mice all the time, and makes it well known when he’s hungry. He also purrs and knocks stuff off the counter if I’m not giving him enough attention. He’s my “Gray Garfield”...

• When they are Purring and they follow you every- where you go through out the house up stair's down stair's to your bedroom on there own with out training them to do it. And they help you wake up when your alarm go's off. My kitty doe's all this.

• I used to have a psycho cat that would wait around corners to ambush me and sometimes sit in my chest when I was asleep and then when I opened my eyes it would try to scratch them out.

It also used to attack my feet.

This was a fucking scary cat. I don't think that was love.

• Yup, I knew those already having my little bundle of fur for twenty one years.
    Here's to you, my little angel.

• Tell your cat that, if he plays his cards right, he'll get promoted to dog.

Motivation.

• I don't really like dogs, they smell bad they they jump all over you when they see you

• Nah its the opposite, my dog knows it. 😹😹

• I'd totally be down for a cat, they're hilarious.

But they smell bad and make your house smell bad, and I'm allergic, so they're out.

• Only had one who I think loved me, but he thought he was a dog, because he was raised with them That's why I'm a dog man, all kinds, especially Basset Hounds.

• Excellent Take. I've done some catsitting, so this was enjoyable to read. One cat in particular insisted on licking my Hand all the time.

• Aww dogs are cute but cats are cuter
    I like cats so much, since I was a kid I always went to my neighbors house to play with their cats. And then I got a cat and I still have him now. I really love cats

• I have four cats and only one lets me touch her, the other ones are greedy bastards lol. I love them. Sometimes I prefer to stay with my cats then talk to others

• my cats never leave me alone... if it was just company they wanted they have each other and when im away the girl that comes in to feeed them says they cry at night

• My cat rolls a lot in the ground and will sometimes head butt my arm and even try to scratch me while jumping on me. Had her for 12 years or more and she is good cat. I never been a cat person but cats have taken a liking to me ever since I got one.

• Dog Logic: They bring me food and pet my belly, they must be a God!

Cat logic: They bring me food and pet my belly, I MUST BE A GOD!

• My cat loves me, but she doesn't bring me gifts because she is greedy :3. She also never sleeps on my lap though :(.

• Cat doesn't love. Dogs are loyal and lovely animals.

• I think, cats are very egoistic. I love them, mind you; but if they love, they don't do it the way we humans do or believe to see it mirrored in cats.

• I used to dislike cats very much and am still not fond of them so much but I kind of learn to accept them, and just because they're different I guess doesn't makes them bad

• @howlyz That's where we see their nature. I was ''gifted'' half a mouse once, and it was nicely presented on my bed sheets. Eeeeek :D And since I saw my furry friend torturing a scorpion, I am twice as cautious when I go to bed.

• hahaha, I see :D still you got half a mouse lol

• I know mine love me every morning I don't wake up dead.

• Yeah, if your cat exposes his tummy to you and its not a furry death trap, then the cat trusts you.

• I have had all of these happen with the 2 cats i've had in the past. they are interesting creatures for sure

• Being a majestic cat!
    I here by approve your my take!.
    Purrrr... Meow... 😽😽😽😽😻😻

• Well my cats must love me Loki drops his body onto my face and rolls around and purrs and jack always plays hide and seek and chase with me

• Ya gotta be joking...

Horses are for rich women what cats are for the masses. ;)

• They wait for you at the door, lick you to groom you, close their eyes as you pet them because they trust you and don't feel the need to be alert.

• ... I still think my cat only likes us since we're her technical slaves.

• I'm a dog person but I have to say cats are really cute!

• My cats!😂😂😂
    They purr, they sleep around me or upon me, they keep meowing constantly for sometime until they get attention, my elder cat talks to me in a kind of different meow😝(i reply in same sounds😂😂, dont know what conversation), the little one shows that tail posture and it even sometimes comes around to suck or nibble my fingers, i feel so good & funny 😂😂😂.
    The little one also sleeps showing its stomach indicating attention seek, but its hard to play with many time, it uses claws directly, while my elder cat knows that claws are for hunting, it doesn't use claws usually, just paws. My elder cat is good in kicking with its rear legs... They always sneak around my things and start scratching anything which they feel good, not realising any kind of damage😝

• nice take no one owns the cat you can tell when a cat loves you when you feed it

• i don't think they love you, they stick around because we fed them

• Im pretty sure cats can't love a human

• Why do you think that?, my cats loved me and treated me like their best friend.

• @azzntittiz I just thinkt they do. Because of their nature. They know where they can find company and food, where its warm and safe. But i dont think a cat is going to defend you if you get murdered by someone

• Really interesting read

• Show more from Guys
    23

What Girls Said 32

• I squeeze! and love my Cat😍 🐈
    But he’s no longer with us 🙏🏻

• Cats are more intelligent than they are giving credit for. Never bored when you have a cat. Have two and it's a circus all day and night. I had to keep them out of my bedroom as they get hyper during the night.

• My 5 months old cat is like my another child. She purrs whenever I touch her. She wakes me up every morning by licking my cheeks 🙂. She never eats from her bowl, she always eats from my hand even she is crazily hungry, she waits for me to feed her. Whenever I leave her alone for a few hours she sits by d door, keeps meowing and waits for me. These all shows her affection for me... and i love her a lot🙂.

• Mine crys for me I love her so much

• I like cats but my family doesn't. I also watched this video that shows how they love you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtWw3OtdBkw

• I kept a stray cat for a while because he came to me. Unlike other cats he didn't run away from me. We watched TV and ate together.😅 After a while I had to let him go couldn't afford to truly take care of him.
    He left a surprise behind the window blinds.

• If a cat likes you it'll also frequently follow you from room to room. Even if they don't come over to you for pets they like being near you, it's their way of saying "hey we're hanging out"

• Love cats. They were a part of my childhood. My little girl does all the description detailed.
    I love my little Cali-Ann.

• Some cats show affection more than others, my old one just purred loudly and that was about it, but the one i have now follows my family members around, meows, rolls around etc.

• Let me add one more
    Cats are natural hunters and are often hunted too. Their bellies are most vulnerable. In the wild they hide the Belly at all cost. If your cat shows you her belly and trusts you enough to touch it, then he / she loves you

• Cats are just amazing. Not to mention, if a cat loves you, they will want to be near you a lot of the time.

• So the cat down the road scratched me, it must love me.

• I know me cat loves me if I feed her. Nothing much else to it really...

• all these things my two beautiful cat sons do. one rolls, plops onto my body as I lie down and I cradle him like a baby, he also licks me. they purr, knead, head butt, vocalize like crazy. when we nap, they have to touch me. they are like my children.

none of these things but purring does my asshole new kitten do. I took her in when no one did, she would be on the streets if I hadn't spoken for her. But she's so difficult and genuinely seems to dislike me. She bites me aggressively when I speak to her and is also afraid of me. I am giving her to the no kill animal shelter very soon, she's just not a good fit and my generosity has reached a limit. I took her in when she would be on the streets (near a busy highway) or dead, I've feed her high quality kitten food, a roof over her head, toys, introduced her to the dog-but this just isn't working and that's okay, her perfect home is out there.

• this killed me, HOW can anyone even think they're cold <3

• It doesn't because I don't have a cat, only dogs, sweet, loveable, innocent, dogs.

• I swear, it comes rubs it's body on your legs and gives a sweet purr and you think it likes you. :p

Its rubbing its hormones on you, marking territory and saying that this human feeds me twice a day. My human, stay away. :p

• Yes dogs are awesome.

• We have strong bondings with our cats. <3

• Awwww lovely take. :)

• Wow thanks

• yes... purrr purrrrr purrrrrrrrrr

• cute take

• I haven't got a cat 😭

• Well said! :)

• Aww, I love cats! ♡

• So cute!

• Nice :-)

• Cool!

• Cats love everything LOL

• I know animals love me. I love them too!! ❤

• Thanks so much. It's good to inform people who think cats can't love.

• Show more from Girls
    2