How Do You Know Your Cat Loves You?

Purring

How Do You Know A Cat Loves You?

The most obvious and common way cats show their happiness and love is through purring. Cats have a special little motor inside them that get started when they are relaxed and enjoying something. You’ll often hear their rumbling, vibrating noise while you are petting your cat. Purrs can also mean your cat is upset or in pain but it's not as common.

Rolling

How Do You Know A Cat Loves You?

Cats show their love by playing with their favourite people. Children tend to throw themselves on the ground and roll around during a tantrum, but when your cat does it, it means they are excited to see you. Cats may walk or run up to you and throw themselves on the ground and begin to roll around. This is a loving greeting and means they want your attention, especially if they show you their belly.

Head Bunting

How Do You Know A Cat Loves You?

Bunting is when your cat rubs their cheeks on you or an object, head-butts you with their forehead, or rubs their head on you. It's a way for your cat to leave his scent on you, marking their territory. Cats do this when they love something or someone. They may practice bunting on other pets or their favorite humans.

Scratching

How Do You Know A Cat Loves You?

Scratching leaves both scented and visual marks of ownership to a cat. Pay attention to where your cat scratches the most. The areas most important to a cat are often associated with the owner.

Kneading

How Do You Know A Cat Loves You?

Kneading behaviours hearken back to ​kittenhood. Kitten paws knead against the mother cat’s breasts to induce milk to be released. Adult cats continue this behaviour when they’re feeling most relaxed, content, and loved. That’s often when they're being petted on their owner’s lap. Think of kneading as a distinct expression of adoration.

Hunting and Gifting Prey

How Do You Know A Cat Loves You?

Cats are adorable but they're still tiny carnivores who have hunting instincts. Cats may catch everything from toys to mice and they often share their bounty with those they love. Cats who present you with a catch deserve praise. They wouldn’t bring these special gifts if they didn’t love you.

Playing

How Do You Know A Cat Loves You?

Kittens play out of pure enjoyment and their most favorite playmate is typically a trusted and loved companion. Some cats may actually control the interaction by moving just out of reach so you are forced to come to them and start playing.

Sleeping

How Do You Know A Cat Loves You?

Cats typically sleep up to 16 hours a day. Since they are the most vulnerable while sleeping, the place your cat chooses to snooze must be a secure and trusted location. There is no greater loving compliment than a cat picking your lap as their favourite sleep spot.

Loving Eyes

How Do You Know A Cat Loves You?

A kitty’s eyes are proportionately huge. As such, cat eyes are important assets for survival, yet extremely vulnerable. Cats that place their faces and wide open eyes near a person are expressing great trust and love. A slow “eye blink” from across the room is considered a cat kiss.

Tail Posture

How Do You Know A Cat Loves You?

If you've ever petted a cat, you've probably encountered the “elevator butt” pose which invites you to pay particular attention to the base of the tail. Cats love to have this body area scratched. They also use their upright tails to signal their love. When a cat approaches you with their tail held straight up and the end slightly tipped over, it's a sign of love. A cat that holds their rear end up in your face is also showing a sign of affection. Kittens greet their mother with tails flagged high in respect and adult cats continue this behaviour with their favourite people.

Meowing

How Do You Know A Cat Loves You?

Cats rarely meow at other cats. Typically, only kittens meow to their mothers and they grow out of the habit as adults. Your adult cat uses these vocalizations specifically to interact with people. Just like us, cats don't "talk" to people they dislike, so even when your cat pesters you with lots of meows, remember that they are interacting with you out of love.

Licking

How Do You Know A Cat Loves You?

Cats spend an enormous amount of time self-grooming and friendly cats also groom each other. Cats that groom their favourite people, by licking their skin or hair or even nibbling or sucking on their clothing, indicate great affection. This spreads a familiar scent and helps mark their person as an important part of the family group.

3455
RedRobin is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guys

• Cats are truly the best pet to have unless they absolutely hate you.

• Sometimes if they hate being touched it's not necessarily that they 'hate' you it's that they're afraid because they've been abused or something when they were a baby

• That’s the same with me! I have a cat named Charlie who genuinely shows affection and rolls over for belly rubs! His brother however keeps his distance unless it’s dinner time. His brother also runs away if you try to pet him.

Most Helpful Girls

• Awww 😂😂I remember my friends cat dropped a dead rat In my hand

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 53

• My cat brings me rabbits and mice all the time, and makes it well known when he’s hungry. He also purrs and knocks stuff off the counter if I’m not giving him enough attention. He’s my “Gray Garfield”...

• When they are Purring and they follow you every- where you go through out the house up stair's down stair's to your bedroom on there own with out training them to do it. And they help you wake up when your alarm go's off. My kitty doe's all this.

• I used to have a psycho cat that would wait around corners to ambush me and sometimes sit in my chest when I was asleep and then when I opened my eyes it would try to scratch them out.

It also used to attack my feet.

This was a fucking scary cat. I don't think that was love.

• Yup, I knew those already having my little bundle of fur for twenty one years.
    Here's to you, my little angel.

• Tell your cat that, if he plays his cards right, he'll get promoted to dog.

Motivation.

• I don't really like dogs, they smell bad they they jump all over you when they see you

• Nah its the opposite, my dog knows it. 😹😹

• I'd totally be down for a cat, they're hilarious.

But they smell bad and make your house smell bad, and I'm allergic, so they're out.

• Only had one who I think loved me, but he thought he was a dog, because he was raised with them That's why I'm a dog man, all kinds, especially Basset Hounds.

• Excellent Take. I've done some catsitting, so this was enjoyable to read. One cat in particular insisted on licking my Hand all the time.

• Aww dogs are cute but cats are cuter
    I like cats so much, since I was a kid I always went to my neighbors house to play with their cats. And then I got a cat and I still have him now. I really love cats

• I have four cats and only one lets me touch her, the other ones are greedy bastards lol. I love them. Sometimes I prefer to stay with my cats then talk to others

• Show more from Guys
    43

What Girls Said 32

• I squeeze! and love my Cat😍 🐈
    But he’s no longer with us 🙏🏻

• Cats are more intelligent than they are giving credit for. Never bored when you have a cat. Have two and it's a circus all day and night. I had to keep them out of my bedroom as they get hyper during the night.

• My 5 months old cat is like my another child. She purrs whenever I touch her. She wakes me up every morning by licking my cheeks 🙂. She never eats from her bowl, she always eats from my hand even she is crazily hungry, she waits for me to feed her. Whenever I leave her alone for a few hours she sits by d door, keeps meowing and waits for me. These all shows her affection for me... and i love her a lot🙂.

• Mine crys for me I love her so much

• I like cats but my family doesn't. I also watched this video that shows how they love you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtWw3OtdBkw

• I kept a stray cat for a while because he came to me. Unlike other cats he didn't run away from me. We watched TV and ate together.😅 After a while I had to let him go couldn't afford to truly take care of him.
    He left a surprise behind the window blinds.

• If a cat likes you it'll also frequently follow you from room to room. Even if they don't come over to you for pets they like being near you, it's their way of saying "hey we're hanging out"

• Love cats. They were a part of my childhood. My little girl does all the description detailed.
    I love my little Cali-Ann.

• Let me add one more
    Cats are natural hunters and are often hunted too. Their bellies are most vulnerable. In the wild they hide the Belly at all cost. If your cat shows you her belly and trusts you enough to touch it, then he / she loves you

• Some cats show affection more than others, my old one just purred loudly and that was about it, but the one i have now follows my family members around, meows, rolls around etc.

• Show more from Girls
    22