How I Faced Death Finding A Purpose In Life

Do you know what is yours?
Do you know what is yours?

I have decided to write on this subject after learning its importance in a moment of pain.

Sometimes it takes us to lose the certainty of life to find a reason to live. I hope these words could touch at least one person among so many people that can't even remember how to live anymore - they just exist without realizing it.

Purpose...

Since we were kids, we were raised to please someone. As children, we tried to shape ourselves to please our parents, relatives and teachers. When we are teenagers, we adjust ourselves to make friends and get the attention of someone we have a crush. Finally, we grow up and give in to the pressure of society, which often dictates rules of behaviour and leads us to make choices - not always the right ones. With all this pressure to be accepted, we end up forgetting our desires and dreams.

Maybe at some age, you've wondered:

What's the point of all this?

Why are you here? What is life really about?"

Do we just get paychecks and pay bills? What's the point of studying 15 years of our lives, working nonstop and tell the next generation to do it all over again if we don't even know why we are doing this?

I believe we don't need to be in a life we don't like; in a job that makes us miserable. And yes, I also know it's hard to have things figured out and life is not always easy to choose between our passion and our needs. However I can tell for sure, we all have unique talents that can make a difference in this world.

I learned that - even if it sounds ridiculous - knowing our purpose in life and following the right path makes us fulfilled in a way that life starts to be meaningful and worth living.

- What do you love to do?

- What's easier for you?

Passions are natural!
Passions are natural!

Of course you need to work hard to develop your talents - even the mist talented musician still needs practice - but it should be natural. It comes easy for you.

For example, I love Psychology, to help people with my words and share experiences. My passions are Translation, Writing and Arts - which made me a volunteer to work with subtitles. Although I invested many years learning to master these abilities, I loved every minute of it. In other words, work is necessary - but suffering is not!

My pain came in the form of a terminal disease to slap me in the face so I could wake up. It was too late by the time I realized I had no life to lose, I did not do anything to make a difference for me or the ones I loved and the ones who could need help. I never wasted time to cry for a lost lover; I never had time to do charity the right way - only giving money and never offering my time and my heart - and I wasn't going to be able to read the end of my books or do the list of things I procrastinated for 4 years. Now, it would be a bucket list.

Not the end, but the beginning.
Not the end, but the beginning.

I had cancer. But that wasn't what was killing me. It was my life.

I didn't realize it, but I started to be happier, not so depressed. Weird, right? But instead of using my head as usual, I started to use my heart. I accomplished things I've always wanted and I had the vacation I've always dreamed - and my old life made me forget. I let myself be inspired and took steps that made me feel complete for the first time.

Much more than this, I started coming out of my comfort zone which made something shine inside me, leading me the way I needed to go. So, I stopped thinking about myself for a change and helped others - a journey that gave me way more than I did to them. Every single person I met taught me something valuable, making me want to be free of regrets and let the past go - like a balloon flying in the sky after we set it free.

Let it go...
Let it go...

Finding ourselves is not an easy or fast task. I had to live with passion, to have motivation and to think positive things when everything was lost. It was a journey that made me forget I wouldn't see a new year again.

We all have days that we feel a failure, overwhelmed and want to give up. However, nothing that's worthy and good in life can be easy. My experience wasn't only to find my purpose as a bucket list - I actually learned to live all over again in such a way that life itself came back to me.

Against all odds and with no concrete explanations, the disease was gone - leaving in its place a different person. Someone who prays every single day to say thanks for the gift of being sick. The chance of having defeated death by simply facing life.

Even bad things can be what we need at the moment...

Don't give up and start your journey to find a better life. One step at a time.

Do what you love, act the way you feel it and always see your life like a kid on Christmas day. Life will change and you will finally be the person you were born to be.

Thanks for reading.

#scctakes

1027

Most Helpful Guys

• I found my purpose as a young child;
    Serving The Lord and Savior.
    The rest of my life is just my wants, which I try to keep acceptable to Him.

• What an amazing experience- you overcame two obstacles. Well done, and kudos to you!

Most Helpful Girls

• I feel like i was meant to read this. Thanks a million for writing it. I've looked death in the face before, but have had depression and have had trouble seeing the beauty in life. I know i have a lot i need to let go of, because i never know what moment may be my last. Better off living it happy than sad. I hope things go well for you!!

• This was such an amazing take Suzanna; it brought me to tears remembering seeing my mom and sister go through this. Words can't express how happy I am that you are with us today <3 <3 <3

• Thanks my dear friend... God knows we all had hard times in life. It took me a while to have strength to write this but I also had people like you who came to my life and helped me to win this war.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 25

• Having a purpose in life is very different from living a happy, satisfied life.
    When one encounters death approaching they have two options-
    Start running from it,
    Or accept it and live the remaining time.
    You choose later...

• There is no point in life nor living it and despair is the best.

• A very nice take :D
    Have you had successful treatment to overcome your cancer? Or did "a miracle" happen? :D

• What do we know about miracles anyway?
      But yeah... it just disappeared. Like some sort of lesson which purpose was done.

• @Desconhecida

Ever seen this before? Some interesting quotes in regards to "Purpose", "Life", "Existence":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfcVyb-VpYohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aFVSkncq00https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8ICPAPgQo

And we're ALL on a time limit here in this world, so wouldn't it be best to make the most of it that we possibly can and enjoy as much of it as we possibly can?

"However, nothing that's worthy and good in life can be easy."

Indeed. There's much hard work and patience required.

• Sorry but I didn't watch the video. And I'm not looking for any sort of debate about anything.
      Just wanted to share my experiences. Thanks for reading anyway

• my purpose in life for me just means to have a girlfriend and be able to support them, have some fun and skateboard.

• Way to go girl! Live life true to yourself: it's you life! Xoxo

• I wish I had a purpose that I could make money doing. I speak the truth, and no amount of disagreement can break me. But I can't make money doing that

• Some people have to do hard jobs where it’s not fun. That is also life.

• The only purpose we have in life is to survive, breed and make sure our offspring survive. That is the purpose of any life.

• Rock n roll, its always good to know about heart warming stories of suffering, love and survival.

• Sorry about what you had to go through. I hope it remains gone. 👍

• You spoke in general we Need example of what you did or didn't

• Such a beautiful take however I find it hard for myself to explain a reason for my existence

• Thanks for sharing this.

• Thank you for sharing

• Beautiful words. Thank you

• Meaning of life is what you make out of it..

• We are here for God

• Yes live should have a purpose

• Great take!

• Desconhecida.. you are interesting

• Fantastic take

• Nice words

• Awesome! I had a similar experience after my major surgery a few years ago.

• This was written very well! Great mytake!

What Girls Said 8

• Wow this is by far the best MyTake I have read on this site so far. I suggest that you submit this to a magazine or some more well known websites, or even give a speech. Thank you sharing this. I will remember this MyTake.

Yes, helping people really does make a difference and I learned that recently.

• nice take

• Thanks sm for this take

• Nice take

• the great questions of life

• 💖💖💖💖

• Neat take! You go girl!

• Thanks for sharing