28 d

I don’t recognise myself.

Anonymous

This take is about body dysmorphia and not recognising yourself in the mirror. I have Aspergers, which may contribute to me not being able to see that I’m me.

Me every day
Me every day

Standing in front of my full length mirror, staring at every inch of my odd body; this tall person whose lower body looks like she’s in the first stage of lipodema and upper body could easily pass as a model. The full lips, icicle eyes, curly hair, big smile. The ugly skin and moles all over my body.

That’s me, but I don’t see that when I see myself. I know I’m me but whenever I see myself it takes me at least a second to realise that what I’m seeing is indeed. Interestingly, I remember peoples faces very well usually, but my own face has caused so much suffering for myself that I can’t recognise it.

I don’t recognise myself.

Anyone else here with this problem?

I don’t recognise myself.
8
6

Most Helpful Girl

• Stacie3
    I can't say that I didn't recognizes it as me, what I did do however was obsessively pick myself apart. I compared my self to my sister and envied her beauty without seeing my own. What makes it worse is my sister is my Identical twin!! I have long since gotten over doing the comparison judgement. In my mind I am 30-35 years old, so when I look in the mirror and see this 50yr old woman looking back at me, I ask myself where she came from? Lmao
    Is this still revelant?
    • Anonymous

That's funny, sorry to hear that you compared yourself to your twin, that's a fairly unique situation!

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

58
  • kymberz
    no. i've been cursed. with a horrible disease. i don't see myself at all until i reflect back the beauty of others onto me... how horrible is that? so ya - i like standing in front of you - then i am like - wow! man i'm really quite beautiful! and i don't even see any moles? and then i really start to like myself because fuck the outside - like - that's drop-dead gorgeous - no i get entranced by my/your inside. because inside of me/you is the best of everyone i have ever met - i made it my life's goal. to record every last thing beautiful about everyone i ever met. so now i add you to the pile and i say thank you. for making me such a beautiful person. without all of the beautiful people in my life i could never be HERE. right now where i am. and i feel like i am on a stage accepting a grammy award. so i would like to thank god and blah-blah-blah and to all of the people who just let me bask and shine in their glory? thank you for that privelege. i never took it for granted - i treated it like the special gift it is. so thank you all because i couldn't be here without you. and then i guess i would have to humbly bow and accept my award and like rob thomas and Jesus would be clapping back stage (cuz they would have VIP passes and me and you too!). so ya i have been cursed. to always reflect the beauty of others. Praise the Lord for these big shoulders!

how can i help? what can i actually do to help? i would very much like to know how k? i mean it?
    • Anonymous

I really don't know what to say... But thank you

• kymberz

thank you and your welcome are 2 sets of words that don't get said enough. your welcome!

• Laozi
    You don't have to recognize yourself. Do something so people will recognize you. It doesn't matter how you look. So get some hobbies, involve yourself with something productive. Also get medical help (if not already). But don't just over think about it. Live your life to fullest.
  • This reminds me of something that happened to me when I was 26 years old. In high school, I fell in with hippies, surfers and rockers. I was a guitar player and formed a rock band where I was the lead singer and guitarist. I could shred. I grew my hair long and played the part of a partying rock star for years. People recognized me, I was popular and anyone my age immediately knew I was cool. You know, pass me doobies, offer me coke, etc.
    When I was 26, I fell into a job I couldn't pass up. But it required me to cut my hair and wear a suit. At that point, "cool" people looked at me with suspicion but I also felt like an imposter at work. When I walked down the street in Century City in my suit, I was sure that everyone could tell I didn't belong there.
    Where I looked in the mirror, I didn't recognize myself. I was in that limbo for a few years before I got used to being a grown up.
  • wankiam
    its not a problem for me but thats simply because i dont care... if you want to get past it maybe just ignore mirrors for a while. it could certainly help with the whole dysmopfia thing
  • elite665
    Well I recognize myself but from the side I look totally different so I’m that sense I’m alway like who tf is that
  • lovedejj_xo
    Are you in therapy? Getting help would be beneficial so you aren’t alone. I use to work at an eating disorder clinic body dysmorphia was a common occurrence
  • Exorcist_Rampage
    It is hard to see differences in your own body but easier for others to see.
  • producer
    Cameras and mirrors just ruin everything, I honestly dont know what I look like either
  • Good take.
  • roseamarie
    You even look good in a broken mirror...
  • tweekzou
    Talkin is the way.
    • Anonymous

Why do you think so?

• Hamdardkhan
    Good take.
  • babybae96
    Wow is that really possible? Why does it happen.