24 d

Why are many autistic people so minimalistic?

Lynx122

My boss called me and lectured me for 5 minutes about how I've had it so easy with my apprenticeship and I should put in effort at the end. And how it's not fair to others how easy my road has been and stuff like that. Then he said a lot of autistic people are minimalistic and I don't seem to get that if you put in more effort there can also be positive effects because of that. He's supposed to be a coach for autistic people but he doesn't understand the first thing about me so I'll explain it here.

Autism takes up a lot of energy. Processing up to 200 times the data per second that a regular person does. This is why some people with autism excel so much at certain things because they can see the world in higher definition. But it also comes with a lot of drawbacks. The energy it takes to process it and it also makes you more sensitive to negative experiences. Imagine your worst experience and imagine if you experienced it 100 times more intensely both on a sensory and emotional level and it will be stuck in your memory like that forever. This is why a lot of autistic people are very careful with their decision making and don't interact with people that much.

I also like to sleep a lot to recharge :D

But back to the minimalistic part. I know that I have a limited amount of energy each day and usually I already have a plan in the morning what I wanna do and it's not a lot. Every day I'd chill if it was up to me :D. But there are things that I need to get done sometimes so I plan how to get those things done in the most efficient way possible with the most free time left over. But the thing is unexpected things can always happen. Autistic people hate unexpected things because it messes up our efficient plans and usually it's bad.

So if you have limited resources and you have a goal you have to reach will you do more than you have to and expend energy for something that will not benefit you right now, or will you make sure that you can reach the goal that your survival depends upon no matter what and then see after if you still want to do more? That's what it's really about it's a survival instinct. Since i know that unexpected things happen and I know I'm not great at dealing with them and it will take a lot of energy to adjust to the new circumstances the whole plan has to be rewritten to make it efficient again but it will still never be as good as the original.

That's why as a precaution the rest of the energy will always be kept in reserve in case some bullshit comes up at the last second that I have to deal with. It doesn't matter if I had an easy day yesterday or if I could do way more if someone challenged me or if I owe someone a debt of gratitude because they did me a favor or whatever the circumstances are, those things are all irrelevant to my brain that's interested in me surviving the day and not much else.

Survival!!
Survival!!

Even when the tasks become very small and only take a very small amount of energy this behaviour still happens. I don't really know why because at that point it's not really necessary anymore but it's just a habit and I can't break this one. So it's very important to set goals well. When in doubt always demand more of me in the beginning and then reduce the burden if necessary instead of the other way around. Somehow people expect me to react positively when they give me an easy task and then halfway through ask me to do twice as much.

They're like you should be grateful to me for giving you an easy task in the first place but to me I planned my energy for this task and I already used half of it and now I'm gonna need 3 times as much energy as I planned to do this task and then you're telling me to be grateful to you. But if you give me a hard task and then halfway through you tell me I don't have to do one part I will actually be grateful to you because I was trying to figure out how to do everything and now you told me I don't need to worry about one part so you made things easier for me.

I'm not saying this behaviour is always right but imagine if you were starving to the point you were almost dead and you found a store at the last minute and bought yourself some food and you were eating it slowly because your stomach can't even handle food anymore. And then someone comes to you and says you know you could have bought some flowers while you were here I think it's inconsiderate of you not to buy me flowers.

It's a bit dramatic but that's really how it feels for me when people come to me with these random expectations. That's why I look at them with this look like wtf you want from me. Like some things are really so outlandish that if I didn't know that I'm the one that's "different" I'd think they deserve to be slapped for that. Even if I know myself that this approach is not always the best or when I know this task isn't that hard, I could do more it's ingrained in me so deeply that I can't change it.

I hope this clears some things up and I hope people can understand we're really doing our best even if it seems like we're lazy sometimes.

#autism #minimalistic #laziness #EnergyConservation

2
12

Most Helpful Girl

• AmandaYVR
    Very interesting. I've never heard anything explained like this. It definitely does not seem obvious or intuitive, that all of these processes are quietly going on. I think it's definitely a good idea to write about this, try and make people aware.

@yoshi_wanna_ask want to comment in this q?
    Is this still revelant?
    • Thanks for the link. I can definitely relate to this one. I mean, a little exaggerated, but very true. I think more so than 'thinking 200x faster' it's more getting bombarded by tons of different information at once, constantly. Right now, I can hear the entire conversation of my flatmate on video chat & the show that's on the TV at the other end of the house, my brothers joking in the hallway, the hum of the light above me & the creaking of the house as the rain blows outside, right alongside the voice in my head narrating as I type this out. Well that sentence took a sharp left turn down an odd cliff.

But it can feel a bit overwhelming, and at times a bit meaningless or frustrating, to do things like take peoples money as the pay for coffee when you're watching so many incredible things unfold around you in such incredible detail. It's not like this is coming from an attitude of arrogance either but misunderstanding because we want things to be the best they can be. Not "why do *I* have to do things like this?" but "what influence does this task have right now on society at large & why is it important?" Followed by frustration at not having the energy or focus or skills to reach the vision we have in our minds that we might get so wrapped up in we lose the words to voice what's going on inside.

Most Helpful Guy

• Autistic people will be autistic
    Is this still revelant?
    • Lynx122

Haha yes I guess that's true :D But I like to understand myself better so I can communicate better. And maybe I can help some people too ^^

• Thank you

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

111
  • yoshi_wanna_ask
    I really like this MyTake. I forget sometimes that people don't just know things like this. I can see your day was still weighing you down as you wrote this. I have a very similar issue. I've found out recently that part of mine, isn't only being very sensitive to light (so lots of headaches & tiredness when it's sunny) but also one eye see differently to the other. Two different images, attempting to be merged into one. Frustrating. But I'm really surprised how common things like this are. A lot of people don't realise you're actually 8 times more likely to have a range of health conditions being on the Spectrum than if you aren't. So we don't have the social information people learn from watching others, we have to stop & start focus to get things done, the sun is like a floodlight, there's (maybe) other health issues going on & then it's like, impossible to think of what you want to say when you actually want to talk to others too. I guess we do seem quite minimalistic at times because you just feel like; REST!!

It really do be like that doe.
    • Lynx122

I'm lucky I don't have sensory issues or they're weak so i can deal with it. For me it's mostly social stuff and responsibilities that stress me out. I already feel like I'm working a full time job just to be functional and then these people come at me with all their expectations and rules and stuff and I just wanna leave.

I'm working right now but I will try and get full disability and then just do what I want. This system is suffocating me. They will always treat me as a damaged person that can't quite live up to what they expect instead of letting me be who I am. I don't like putting my personality in a straight jacket just so I fit in at a workplace. And even if I try my best they're still disapointed because I didn't think ahead enough or show enough initiative and stuff. I don't wanna do 50% of a job that I don't like just because they expect me to work I wanna be myself and follow my own path keep growing and developing who I actually am.

I wanna start a youtube channel and write and also make music later on ( I love music the most but I feel like my hyperactive brain is still blocking me from fully connecting with my emotions, creativity, passion etc.) I hope I can get the siability money because I don't think I can do it if I have to support myself at the same time. Maybe some day I will but not atm.

Yeah I usually get good responses when I write about autism I hope I can help some people too when I make my youtube channel :).

• Lynx122

Sry for veting a lot. I'm just in this transition period and all the coaches have expectations of me that I'll go do some job but I don't want to. I hope I can get through this. I don't like conflict situations so it's gonna be tough for me to do the opposite of what they want but it's necessary.

• Yeah it's really tough. They often come with the expectation that if they can fill in all of their check boxes by the end we'll be cured & it's like uhh, it doesn't work like that. At the moment a lot of people are wanting to upskill to be able to open business or start something new or keep themselves busy. Kids are also needing tutors or online teachers but all of the work has to be the preapproved stuff. So if you're a learning buff you could do a teaching course of some kind alongside the work you're doing now & then apply to an online teaching website, follow the curriculum & teach while you make music. Alternatively IT jobs of every kind are always in demand & especially right now there'd be work from home ones going for all kinds of roles not to mention if you know even the basics of repairing computers & phones a lot of repair companies are happy to pay you to work for them as a contractor meaning you take on what you can when you can & work from home as long as you have a ABN or business trading number.

Youtube does seem really tempting but diversifying at the moment for a musician might be the way to go. Maybe Facebook or MeWe but Spotify, SoundCloud & even TikTok can be great places to launch your music especially if it's catchy. Just think about the "full 180" song & how much that blew up. A lot of people love watching launchpad covers too, not that I know much about them. If you know or can speak more than one language there's a HUGE market for versions of popular songs sung in other languages too but that depends on what you're going for.

• Bananaman177
    Neurotypical people "coaching" autists is a ridiculous concept. That's like having a retard coach a genius on how to fit in with the other retards and succeed in retard society.

Neurotypicals are fucking scum, they're not fit to lick our boots clean, let alone "coach" us.
    • Lynx122

lol :D Interesting take :)

• Lynx122

It does feel like that sometimes :/ But I'm getting out of it so it's cool.

• FýrdracaDócincel
    As someone on the spectrum I'm sick of people trying to claim that we're superhuman.

200 times the normal amount of data?

We're not Supermen. Accept that.
    • Lynx122

I never claimed we're superhuman. But it is true that we filter out less of the information that is sent to our brain. That's all. You're the one that interpreted it in this way.

• Likes2drive
    Wow that explains a lot and you seem high functioning so that’s good. Very good mytake
    • Lynx122

Thank You :). Yeah so I've been told :D

• SuckMyJammy
    cos were smart and see they way life is supposed to be... simple and purely jus to have fun, nothing more
  • MeatPuppet
    I don't even have a diagnosis for autism and you basically just described me.
    • It's really surprising how easy it is for Autism to be overlooked & the struggles are excused (they're just quirky) or dismissed (you're just being ___). There's a lot of people I know these days who grew up with no idea that's what they were living with the whole time. They just thought everyone saw the world the way they did.

• kespethdude
    Well said. Very well written article.
  • KingChromosome
    I get it dude
  • They have a harder time processing things.
  • Anonymous
    People with autism aren't as socially driven. If you were to break down how much of human behavior exists simply to gain acceptance, respect, superiority, and attention from other people, it would be well over 90%.
    • Lynx122

Wow that's a insane amount. I care a bit about those things as well but nowhere near that much. I think that's one of my problems I do care a bit but not enough to put as muh effort in as other people :D

• Anonymous
    Yes, I definitely can relate on many of those points...

I never been diagnosed, with autism or Asperger's, but I see a lot of my behaviour linked to it.

One bad think in my case I get everything in so much detail, that I migraine at the end of it...

And it is soooo hard to make it done as I want it perfect, but just end up doing whatever...

In working environment I just look what others do and do at same level not more and in case they pille on me impossible task I call on their BS and suggest to do this job in similar timeframe as most people above me (even entry level) have no clue what they are talking about and think that I go to my room and apply magic to solve this problem and just drink coffee for rest of time...

And that is definitely the reason I'm single...
  • Anonymous
    I am on the spectrum but I don't have to much problems with it in my daily life. Actually I don't even like to tell people that I am on the spectrum since they are so judgmental towards it. My intelligence is definitely average. The only big problems I have is sometimes meltdowns and I am bad in social interactions which makes it hard to find a girl friend since lots of dating and being romantic is based on non verbal confirmation like eye contact and facial expressions.