Is it feminine for men to use straws?

Okay so bizarre question but i literally know some guys who legit refuse to use straws because they think it is unmanly? i don't see the deal or care lol, but this is what i have heard from more than one guy so anyone else have this opinion?
Is it feminine for men to use straws?
  • I think its unmanly for men to use straws.
    Vote A
  • I don't care and think its fine for guys to use straws.
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|2

Most Helpful Guys

• These men probably have a distorted view of masculinity. If I had to guess, using a straw is either perceived as phallic (because it's a long, slender tube with holes at both ends... duh) or because using a straw makes them come across as dependent, that they need external help to get something done and they want to look as though they can tell the world to pound sand and be unaffected.

A straw is a tool, it is neither good nor bad--environmental concerns notwithstanding. It is used primarily to move fluid from one location to another and it serves that function well.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't use plastic straws because plastic is bad for the environment, and there's really no need for straws, unless you cannot chew because someone dislocated your jaw.

Use a stainless steel straw instead.

4|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• For the people who legitimately belive that a guy is gay or feminine for using a straw, you automatically are legally retarded. You have a severe case of mental retardation that is both incurable and untreatable.

3|1
    0|0
  • HAHAHAHHA... some guys genuinely are so protective and insecure of their masculinity they feel the need to not use straws to drink?

Is your masculinity so thin and fragile it will be damage by drinking? wow... meanwhile my boyfriend is out here letting me practise my makeup skills on him, literally letting me put lipstick and blush on him as he laughs about it and sends selfies to his friends, still being the most manly guy I know.

2|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 93

• My vote got recorded wrong, I pressed "I don't care..." but it registered as "I think it's unmanly"

I don't see how a small piece of plastic could be in any way related to someone's gender, it's simply a tool made for easier consumption of a drink, that would be like saying trying to replace the batteries of your TV remote is unfemenine

1|0
    0|0
  • That just sounds weird, but I guess it's probably a little feminine, but only in comparison to not using one and just drinking straight from the glass or cup.

If anything, you'd expect younger children to drink using a straw, so it's probably more childish if anything, but with both, it depends on the situation, I think, like if you're relaxing on the beach, it's probably more appropriate then and wouldn't look like either.

1|0
    0|0
  • Sucking on your girls nipples don't make you feminine.
    Some people don't want to stain their teeth, and the ladies love nice teeth.

Also if using a straw makes you less of a man then you're a fragile little **** and so is your definition of a man.

1|1
    0|0
  • I prefer my drinks without straws. I'll only use a straw if it's a drink that is covered with a lid such as iced coffee or bubble tea. But I drink pop without a straw and other drinks without one. I have a beer mug that I pour my drinks into when I am at home. I also don't use straws in restaurants. Europeans actually find it hilarious that Americans put straws in their glass mugs.

1|0
    0|0
  • It kind of depends on the drink, tbh.

I'm not going to drink beer though a straw, unless I'm in some way incapacitated, and that's the only way I can drink it.

But some kind of cocktail in the tropics, like that lad in the picture is drinking? Seems to make sense to me...

1|0
    0|0
  • Use da straws! :D Isn't unmanly :) I think it depends HOW you use the straw, if you twirl it around then it may become les "Manly" but I do that 24/7 :p

1|0
    0|0
  • First off, to say "using straws is unmanly" is insecure and childish in itself.
    Second, I have no opinion on how "manly" it is to use straws.
    Third, I'm against straws for different reasons. (Note, this only applies to disposable plastic straws.) But even then, I tend to not use any straws at all simply because I don't feel I need to use them.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's like the issue of standing or sitting while peeing. I've had guys make fun of me becuz I sit. But, like another guy said, why stand when u can sit? Plus u dont have the problem of a girl sitting on the toilet and accidentally flushing herself trying to stand back up.

1|0
    0|0
    • Plus, pee splatters everywhere when u pee standing up. It may seem more convenient at the time, but it's unsanitary. And do you really want your girlfriend cleaning your pee off the toilet, floor, and walls? Disgusting.

• Well, technically either it's feminine or it's not, regardless of gender.
    That said, I don't think it is. However, there are a couple of comedians who make a hilarious but good point about the face we make when sipping beverages through a straw.

1|0
    0|0
  • I've never heard that. I drink from straws all the time now. Better for your teeth, especially when you're drinking sugared beverages. Also makes it easier to control how much you're drinking at a time.

1|0
    0|0
  • I voted B. Any guy that is paranoid about using a straw because of the idea of sucking on a cylindrical object is "unmanly", is weak as fuck and stupid.

2|0
    0|0
  • I drink straws if the drink calls for it... if it's a cocktail, I'll drink with a straw idgaf. I wouldn't with obvious things... like a beer or shot, etc.

1|1
    0|0
  • I don't care i use a straw doesn't make me unmanly
    I had a great aunt who believed in drinking coca-cola
    from a can with a straw, she said, them cans are recycled
    and you can pick up germs from the cans.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't use straws but not because I think it's unmanly (it's not). I just think it's kind of a self-infantilization. I mean, I'm an adult, I can hold a glass. There's no need to use a straw.

0|0
    0|0
  • It has nothing to do with being "feminine;" plastic straws should be banned in most instances because they're unnecessary and bad for the environment, not because they're masculine or feminine.

2|0
    1|2
  • No offense or anything but it's a fucking straw. Lol It's a tool and is not sexualized by it's very nature

1|0
    0|0
  • It's just a straw, they're probably immature enough to associate any straight cylindrical object with a penis and that's why they don't use them.

1|2
    0|0
  • Simply no

Used straws sometimes all my life and this was never questioned or nor did someone around me question it.

Lol this is a new low.. this ain't it chief

1|1
    0|0
  • Its just a straw. Whats next? Nobody eats ice cream out of a waffle cone?

2|0
    0|0
  • I don't care if guys use straws. However, at one restaurant chain, they are beginning not to offer straws for environmental reasons. I support that cause.

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 36

• What's next? Is it feminine for men to take showers?

2|1
    0|0
  • You shouldn't be using plastic straws at all

1|1
    1|2
  • No?
    That’s how most people drink their drink when they get fast food- through a straw. Here in New Zealand I’ve never heard of a person thinking this way

2|0
    0|0
  • I don't use straws for environmental reasons. I wasn't aware that people thought of it as a gendered thing.

2|0
    0|0
  • It’s a fucking straw. Doesn’t get more asexual than that.

2|3
    0|0
  • It's not a big deal unless you make it a big deal, I would find it weird if a guy refuse a straw because its too faminin... Wtf

1|0
    0|1
  • Next question : "is it feminine to brush your hair?"

2|2
    0|0
  • bwahah wow, that's wild. I'm happy to have never heard of something so strange until now. It's all good :) though now plastic straws are quite taboo

1|0
    0|0
  • Well what are they supposed to do when they get a straw in a coke? Take the straw out and try stick their tounge in the hole?

2|0
    0|0
  • Don't think it defines anything it's a handy way to drink sometimes 😅

1|0
    0|0
  • Never even tnhought anout it being a feminine or unmanly thing

1|0
    0|0
  • I’ve never cared nor thought so, but no men around me use straws now that I think about it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Never heard of that. In my country it's considered a childish things but some adult still use it.

1|0
    0|0
  • How it is feminine to use straws? It's neither feminine or masculine

Facepalm

1|0
    0|0
  • Is this really a thing? I never heard of such nonsense. A straw is a straw wtf

1|0
    0|0
  • Now a cock in his mouth definitely an issue... lol

2|1
    0|0
  • Yeah it makes him a homosexual

1|0
    1|2
  • It's just a straw LMAO let the men live damn

3|1
    0|0
  • No lol