What does it mean when a guy says unfortunately I don't do relationships?

This might be stupid but idc. So I started to talk to this guy and he calls be pretty and all this other stuff. He woud throw out litte hints that he liked me. He says sweet things to me I thought he liked me so I told him and he said I see I thought you did unfortunately I don't do relationships. I said sorry and asked if we could still be friends and he said yes.

05

Most Helpful Guy

• It's either one of three things:

1) he has had a bad experience with relationships in the past (abuse/manipulation, fights, cheating, etc.), or has seen relationships be bad with people he interacts with, and is scorned by them

2) he wants to "play the field" and not want to have to be obligated to turn down female pursuits via having a girlfriend

3) [this is VERY rare] he may be moving away from the area shortly, and doesn't want to get anyone emotionally attached to him

--------

Frankly, #1 and #2 are equally feasible options.

Which one do you think he is, QA?

• I'm not sure my gut wants to say 2 but I just don't know.