Why I Oppose Religious Institutions

Source of their funding

Some conservatives say they don't want any social programs being funded from tax money that comes from the people. People should not have their tax money used for such programs. I can understand such a political belief but what I do not understand is why religious institutions should get funded from tax money then? The hypocrisy.

If even a single cent of your money went to charities connected to the Muslim Brotherhood congratulations, you just funded terrorist and terrorist related activities.

If even a single cent of your money went to the Vatican which is just the Christian version of the Muslim Brotherhood congratulations, your money went to organizations which specialize in stealing and smuggling religious artifacts to be kept in the private museum of the Vatican.

Religious wars

I am sick and tired of being caught up in the middle of religions constantly trying to groom me and try to recruit me into their religions which are nothing more than sects and cults. I don't want to be part of your religion, nor the institutions attached to them, if you cannot respect this we are going to find ourselves in a state of conflict which you are not going to like because I don't believe in hell.

Sheer lack of respect and total disregard of secularity

If there is one of the things religion and their institutions repeatedly disrespect its secular societies and their secular populations. Do you really think that injecting your religious insurgents/missionaries into our countries is going accomplish anything besides more conflict? Look what you are doing to Africa with the battles between Islamic influence and Christian influence.

If that is what you call 'just following your religion' then your god is a god of death, murder and spiritual decay.

Claims of spiritual supremacy

If there is one thing that I detest the most of all about religions and their institutions its the endless claims of religious supremacy. My god is the one true god, our religious book is the one true religious book, my prophet is the real prophet, our virtues are the true virtues. etcetera, etcetera.

These claims are used to justify meddling in affairs that occur in the world without any grounds for improvement. You just want to turn the school programs into religious madness to indoctrinate the youths to follow your religion. In the total theocratic society everything in that society is used as a tool to serve but one master, the religious institution that stands at the top of the hierarchy. Total domination is what your god wants. Not a grain of humanity is left in you religious people.

I did not address all religions to keep it short.

1224

Most Helpful Girl

• This was so refreshing to read. Thanks for this, I've recently been thinking congruous to your views. Thanks for posting!

Most Helpful Guy

• 0|0
    • BUT:
      Hein v. Freedom From Religion Foundation, 551 U. S. 587 (2007), was a decision by the United States Supreme Court which ruled that taxpayers do NOT have the right to challenge the constitutionality of expenditures by the executive branch of the government. The issue was whether taxpayers have the right to challenge the existence of the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives.
      So much for the separation between church and State. It's theory, not reality.

• Jesus that's bad.

• @Intraluminal It will get worse under President Pence. :(

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 11

• You and everyone else. But they are just social constructs, a way of grouping ourselves.

Do away with them and some other construct that is equally as destructive pops up. It's just what humans do, we're tribal in nature. Us versus them.

• People have the right to choose to raise their kids in a religious way and if they feel like it has to be done by sending kids to religious schools then why object?

Religious schools have never been different to me. There are public schools, private schools. What's with the funding terrorists? Their donations go to sweaters and blankets for poor people or orphanages, why would you oppose that.

You're not only one-sided but also bigoted. All forms of school have good and bad ones. Focusing on just one isn't enough. If a student doesn't feel good in any school then they can simply ask to have their school changed. It's not that difficult to convince.

• You can opposite it if you want, it won't change anything. They'll continue to exist, and there's nothing you or anyone can do about it. Don't waste your time arguing for lost causes.

• I love this!

• Have you ever heard of freedom of religion? You can't do a damn thing about it. So stop whining.

• Ever heard of freedom from religion? You can't do a damn thing about it. So stop whining.

• @Warmapplecrumble he is our creator and he loves us more than anything. He is there when I need him. Ok now... I know you are going to insult and call me names.

• :-I I don't do that really...

• 👏👏👏

• @rissyanne lol I don't know who wants to be on you... who has anger issues now? 😂

• No lol sorry she blocked me so I had to comment somewhere... :) yeah I've noticed

• @katyfenty haha no probs. Yeah she blocks everyone. She's a loon, don't waste your energy lol. She only knows the words, Trump, Liberal snowflakes and Jesus I think

• I oppose them too

• Cults are just plain evil.

• your opinion was refreshing

• I agree that religion makes things harder

• Extreme anything is harmful, including religions

What Guys Said 23

• I say let each religion have their own place of worship and be left alone.

If you don't want to join then don't join.

Go fishing.😊

• And atheism is just so much better. Mao, Stalin, Kim Il-Sung, Pol Pot, Robert Mugabe, Mussolini, Hitler (actually to be fair no one ever figured out his religious views conclusively), Himmler, and Nicolae Ceausescu were all atheist, and they were barbarous. Meanwhile, religion has had Martin Luther King, Mother Theresa, and the Dalai Lama. So there, religion is not all bad, and I would argue that the very religious can lead much healthier lives than staunch atheists. So stop whining about the ills of religion when atheist societies and organizations can be just as awful.

• Those are individuals not institutions.

• You're wrong if you think that it's just a few hillbillies. Megachurches and televangelists have plenty of political capital and money.

I oppose bailouts, but I think many religious Americans are clawing at the gate that separates the church from the state. If they could affect it any more, believe me, they would.

Also, I'm thinking of the long con. I am much more scared of a future where Muslims have bred out the current population to become the majority. Fuck, I'd rather have the Koch Bros fighting for less govt than the Party for Islamic Law (I just made that up, but it's totally possible) getting donations from the mosques around the country. Right? What if a Scotus decision says that those donations are speech? At least it's morality, right? *elbows, winks* At least it's not some guy trying to further his business, right?*elbow again*

I don't approve of crony capitalism at all, but I tend to think of organized religion as something much scarier.

• @DanoMR98 Just so you know, Muslims only make up about 1% of north america or less, and only bout 3-5% in Europe, as opposed to those continents being overwhelmingly white and Christian, so it'd be pretty much impossible for Muslims to become the majority. And actually, even though through natural growth Islam has the edge, many Muslims leave Islam and many people around the world convert to Christianity, so Christianity is actually the fastest growing religion in the world

• I agree with your viewpoint fundamentally but for different reasons... I see them as hierarchical organizations of power. With that power comes the negatives of oft spoken power.

And I see no reason to oppose them as entities but for their practices. To me, they are businesses (I maybe go a bit to far with this analogy). And I don't oppose business just because they are profit driven in exchange for services.

I've grown up in Utah where I have seen some of the very best people, who were a part of the LDS faith, and some of the worst. To gloss over the positives of religion is just as bad as the supremacy prejudice they peddle. Some people simply need religion to be better people. I certainly know a few that could use it.. or maybe a bit more spirituality. Maybe even myself. People also need a way to explain what they can not explain themselves. It's when they get irrational about it that I have a problem (credit Neil DeGrasse Tyson).

I agree with the sjoes006 that states that they are simply constructs of society and a way of expressing/identifying ourselves. If not religion, it is politics or even sports (go Bears, packers suck!)

• I am a tax accountant who has had non-profit "faith based" charitable organizations as clients. The argument in support of such organizations handling social services as charity is that they have much less overhead and much more efficiency in getting the help to those who need it, rather than setting up a new government bureaucracy or expanding an existing one.

The laws regarding such funding is that all such spending must be for the social service and not a penny to the other church operations. In other words, Catholic Charities (or similar Protestant of Jewish or other organizations) may get government grants to run the soup kitchen, homeless assistance, or charity hospital care, but they cannot use a penny of that money to run other operations or to proselytize. And yes, the I. R. S. has been quite hardball about this.

Note: This is in the USA, and is different from Europe and other countries where the churches ARE often explicitly tax-supported institutions.

Moreover, I just can't put the Catholic Church in the same league as the Muslim Brotherhood. Nowhere near.

• Epicurus is making the fallacy of assuming that God is morally obligated to his Creation: He is not.

The negative choices of Free Will are where evil comes from. The God obviously did not want to create "good little robots". He wanted to create "good free moral agents". Evil comes about when free moral agents choose not to be good. So ultimately you should not blame God for evil, you should blame the individual for evil.

A free moral agent which chooses to go good by its own will is better than a robot which is forced to do good. That's the point.

• One of the problems I have with "religion" is that they define goodness in a way that almost no human being can ever live up to anyway. In fact, most protestant christian denominations literally teach that you cannot live up to God's standard of goodness, which is called "total depravity".

I can show that there are things in the Bible which must have been inspired by a divinity, because there is no way humans could have known that at the time it was written. However, the Bible is definitely not "inspired and infallible". Some portions of it are just downright fraudulent and blatantly false doctrine and false prophecies.

Examples:
      Jeremiah somehow knew there was a Multiverse, and Job somehow knew that the Earth was traveling through empty space. The ancient Greeks who were contemporary with them still thought the Earth was flat and floated on an endless sea of water.

• For the record, I currently believe the Universe to be about twice as old as the Standard Model of Cosmology suggests, and I still believe in an Almighty Creator.

• Buddhism I find the most peaceful and least corrupt.

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...dha-buddha.jpg

• There's been plenty of violence by Buddhists though.

• Ah, but early Christians weren't violent at all, so you could argue that the quakers and some other groups were just doing the religion as originally intended. By the way, the puritans were messed up though, they did witch trials and burned teenage girls

• @None12am early christians after half of rome became christian were i can bet

• "The Vatican is basically the Muslim Brotherhood."

Ahem, when was the last time the Vatican funded Christian terrorists? I'm pretty sure the last person to die at the hands of the Vatican was over 200 years ago.

• stupidity that's all:
    http://vocaroo.com/i/s0GSeimddIbM

• Love, love, love your take.

• It's called Freedom of Religion and as far as I am concerned, taxes do not go to churches. People have the option to donate to their religious organization or church. You don't have to join a church if you don't want to go.

• Freedom of religion hello?
    Most religious institutions are funded by it's parisheners.

• Institution =/= religion.
      Also freedom from religion hello? Your institutions have no right to force me to follow them.

• I don't want to force you to do anything I'm Just saying that if you try and persecute me that you'll die.

• read the mytake properly.

• I was touched by the power in a church... on my unit in broad daylight.

• Good myTake

• Agreed, superstitious ignorance should be outlawed world wide.

• The taxes that I pay go towards a lot of things that I don't really agree with, it's life.

• i absoutley hate religion as an atheist i couldnt agree with you more on this one

• Very insightful.

• I oppose them too

• science is the latest religion for weak minds to grasp on to

• More from Guys
    3