Wicca Series (Part 12): A Book of Shadows

Zendrya

First of all Happy Yule! I hope everyone is having a fantastic Winter Solstice. It's the darkest day of the year but the sun's been born and it only gets brighter from here!

Today we are going to talk about what a book of shadows (BoS) is and what kind of stuff one would put in their book of shadows.

So a book of shadows is like a journal about Wicca. If you're in a coven you may have a book of shadows for the whole coven and then you'd also have your own solitary book of shadows. A book of shadows can come in many forms. You can have a regular journal, you can have a binder, you can put it on your computer, etc. It is typically preferred to have it handwritten though as it makes it a lot more personal. Also, there is usually some sort of division between information about the religion and your personal thoughts and what not and then the actual practical work like rituals and spells. Some people have 2 separate books but I personally just divided my BoS in half. So half is info and the other half is practical. Some people also like to decorate their book on the outside and do decorations and whatnot on all the pages. Other people, like myself, just bought a pretty BoS and I don't decorate the pages. I just write in them.

For a lot of Wiccan's their book of shadows is extremely personal and they won't let anyone else see it. Some Wiccan's have physical locks on their books, other's have sigils or spells cast on their book to keep people either away or have it so anything an unwanted reader tries from their book will be unsuccessful.

So as for the practical side of a BoS there isn't much to talk about. There's rituals, spells, I also have poems, and just stuff like that. For the info side my BoS starts off with the Wiccan rede (which we talked about in the last post), I have 13 goals of being a Wiccan (which one can find on google), my Wiccan path, what deities I worship, info on all the sabbats and traditions I have for them, and I have info on how to read a birth chart. I am just starting my BoS so I am still in the midst of getting basic info in. Other things you can add is info about the elements, how to cast a circle, info on crystals, info on herbs, info on different Wiccan tools, and anything else you deem important.

That's mostly it for the Book of Shadows. If anyone has any questions about a BoS or anything else about Wicca please feel free to ask..... I think it might be fun to do a Q+A if I could get enough questions regarding the religion or any particulars about me in relation to the craft (i.e how I got into it, what my family thinks of it ect).... so if you think that would be fun you should let me know in the comments and leave some questions. I'll also probably talk about some smaller things that doesn't warrant it's own mytake but are still important.

The next post will be about different Wiccan paths and traditions (different denominations of Wicca).

Check out some of my earlier posts through these links: The Wiccan Rede: Part 11, More About Spells: Part 10, Wiccan Rituals: Part 9

6
1
1Girl Opinion
6Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guy

• Zorax
    Ah, very interesting, Book Of Shadows is such an intriguing subject, wonderful Take.
    Happy Winter Solstice to you and all of my Wiccan friends on the GaG :)
    Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?
    • Zorax

Thanks for the MHO :D

Most Helpful Girl

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

05
  • admles
    Wow, so it's like a record of everything to do with your Wiccan life?

Cool, another informative take ^_^ Looking forward to the next one!

I'm curious, how do Wiccans regard other religions? Are the open minded and respect other people's beliefs, or are they "our way is the only way" or, is it different depending on the individual?
    • Zendrya

That's exactly what it is. :) As for your question I'm going to save it and see if I get anymore for the Q+A if not I'll answer your question in a couple days here in the comments.

• Zendrya

Well I got no more questions so no Q+A for me. To answer your question though: we don't believe Wicca is the only right religion. Unlike with Christianity we don't believe that people who don't believe in our religion are going to go to a bad place or whatever. Everyone gets born regardless and how you are and how you behave in your present life will not affect who you or what you are reborn into. Regardless you will be reborn into a person that will best continue your souls purpose. We aren't a religion that tries to convert other people into believing our religion. We believe all positive spiritual paths lead to the same house, union with the divine. The only animosity we have against Christianity or any other religion is that they believe their path as "the one true, right, and only way" and they have sought to deny freedom to others and to suppress other ways of religious practices and beliefs.

• admles

Wow, so you're a very open minded faith, I like that.

I also like that you're against other faiths not being so open minded.

Thank you for answering <3

• MarkRet
    There was a brief time when I was kind of interested in Wicca, but I now follow Christianity as the only true way. I'm not gonna bust on you though.
  • Being_a_good_Indian
    Interesting Takes. Wicca Series is really nice. Wicca Series (Part 12): A Book of Shadows
  • mike5150
    Is there many places wiccan's could meet to discuss there beliefs? I only know of two other wiccan's and there both family.
    • Zendrya

To meet in person one could go to your local metaphysical shop, or if you are in a place where there is a decent amount of Wiccan's you could likely join or form a coven (a group of Wiccan's/Witches that get together to celebrate esbats and sabbats, they do rituals and magick together, along with teach each other the craft). Personally though the closest metaphysical shop for me is 2 hours away and I don't know any other Wiccan's so I'm not in a coven. I'm quite isolated so I have an app I use to connect with other pagans/wiccans/witches.

• mike5150

First off thanks for replying. The closest one to me is about 2 hours as well. I had visited it around September. The only two Wiccan's I know, one is my wife and the other lives near the shop. I only ask because I can talk about certain things with my wife but she had not practiced Wicca since her mother threw away most her books about 4 years ago. I am still new to it myself.

• LegateLanius
    Oooh, neat
    Like 1 Person