Why I’m GLAD a God Doesn’t Exist (An Anti-Theist Perspective)...

Just to be clear: this is not an argument against God. I may at times refer to aspects of a religion or a certain God but this won’t be in an attempt to debunk religion. Instead, this is going to be an antitheist’s perspective on why one may be glad that no God exists. You don’t have to agree with me but understand that this is from my point of view. It doesn’t involve arguments or facts or figures. It’s impossible to tackle all religions in one sweeping statement so at times I’m going to have to reference certain beliefs. I will focus mostly on Christianity as it’s the main religion in my country. Just understand that these may not be YOUR beliefs but they will be somebody’s.

If you’ve never come across any of my posts before then you’re perhaps wondering why I refer to myself as an antitheist. The late Christopher Hitchens expressed it in a more concise fashion I’m sure, but the reason is this: Someone can be an atheist and have absolutely no belief in God or religion whatsoever. They may not believe in heaven, hell, the soul, angels, the existence of certain Holy figures or prophets…and yet they may still wish that some of this stuff was true.

They may wish that Heaven existed because they fear death and the loss of their friends and family for the rest of eternity. Perhaps they wish God existed to pass judgement on every soul that walks this Earth. They may wish that such a being exists so that all of this (the universe, life, etc) makes sense and has some sort of purpose. They may even wish that hell exists so that the cruel and evil people of the world who perhaps escaped justice on Earth can suffer punishment in the next life. I don’t. I’m GLAD that no God exists. I’m GLAD that religious texts have little to no historical value. I’m GLAD that when this life ends, that’s it and I don’t have to suffer through whatever existence awaits for all of eternity.

But why?

If you are religious then you may be wondering why anybody would be glad of these things. Surely everyone wishes there was a higher power…right? No, not at all. I’m going to start by exploring the nature of the Holy Books themselves. Why would I be happy that these aren’t historical documents? (I understand that not every religious person views their holy book as being 100% factual). Well for starters, it paints a picture of a very angry, obsessive, controlling God. Regardless of whether you’re a Christian, Jew or Muslim, your Holy Book contains a violent God who floods planets, murders almost all animals, kills children, burns cities, promotes genocide, provides troops for war, allows slavery (and the beating of slaves)…I could go on. Even if you are Christian, you may argue that Jesus changes all of this. Perhaps, but for most of human history, your God was still OK with all of this.

So I have no desire for such a being to exist and if I was given a button that would bring such a being into existence, I would destroy that button so nobody could ever push it. Such a being also opens up the question of morality. Many religious people view God’s will as the purest morality i.e. if God tells you to murder your son, that’s moral because nothing God does or commands can be seen as immoral. I don’t think there is such a thing as objective morality. Morality is something that we (as humans) have gradually altered, tweaked and fine-tuned to what we have today…religion has never been ahead of the curve and so I wouldn’t want to betray my own views of morality simply to appease a God. Blind faith can lead to immoral acts.

An Eternity in Heav…Hell!

But surely even an antitheist must wish there was a heaven? Well actually, no. There’s nothing I find more terrifying than the thought of existing forever with no “off switch”. The fact that something is temporary is what makes it special. I LOVE watching movies but would I want to sit through a 40 hour movie? No. Would I want to have sex non-stop for a week? No. Would I want to smoke weed every day for the rest of my life? No. I find that the same thing applies to life. I have no desire to live past the age of 50. Whether it be in a physical form or something non-physical.

This is taken a step further when we consider the nature of this “eternal existence”. It’s one thing to live forever. I mean, if I was free to live my life the way I am now without aging or my mind/body deteriorating then sure, I could see the benefit. But if you told me that the rest of my eternal life was going to involve me being relocated to North Korea where every room I enter, every building I visit, and every street I walk down would have cameras and microphones, I’d perhaps be a little worried. Furthermore, I have to spend the rest of eternity worshiping a God who essentially created me with two choices: worship me or don’t but if you don’t, you’ll go to hell. Heaven and hell begin to sound pretty similar from my point of view.

As I mentioned earlier, one of the things I find most terrifying about this idea is the concept of there being no way out, no rest, nothing. People in North Korea may have it tough but at least they can just kill themselves or if they are lucky: escape. You don’t have that option in Heaven as there is no sin in heaven…and if there is no sin then there is no way of getting kicked out and thrown down to Hell (I know not all Christians believe this but some do). Thanks but no thanks. I’ll stick to my relatively short life that ends!

If you’ve ever seen Black Mirror then we have a great comparison point. There is a Christmas special where one character explains his old job: he copied the consciousness of a client into a device. This consciousness couldn’t die, couldn’t escape, couldn’t do anything other than the jobs it was given to do. If it chose not to do this job, it was left for months with literally nothing to do. That’s sort of how I imagine Heaven to be like.

Your Friends and Family are Temporary

Imagine being in Heaven after death and waiting for your best friends or your brother or perhaps your partner to arrive. What happens when you suddenly realise that they aren’t coming? What happens when you realise that one of the few people you wanted to spend eternity with…got sent in the opposite direction? You then spend eternity with the knowledge that that person is experiencing hell (quite literally). Not to mention that your pets don’t go to heaven so my dogs will just cease to exist while I live on with my memory of them.

Not to mention that you never know who is going to end up in Heaven. The rules are arbitrary and many people believe that you can essentially do absolutely anything but as long as you believe in God and ask for forgiveness, you might still get into heaven. What if I got to Heaven and Hitler was there? Nobody (even those who believe) know what Heaven is like, right? They have ideas, they have interpretations and they have beliefs but Heaven could simply be a giant church where you sing hymns and bow to God for the rest of eternity.

All-Loving and yet Non-Caring

Another reason that I’m glad God isn’t real is because of the way he lays blame. Two humans eat from a tree, just two. Yet for some f’ed up reason that blame gets passed on to every single human. We are all born with original sin and the reason that women suffer so much during child birth is because of one woman at the start of God’s interference in Humanity’s affairs. The Egyptians take slaves and yet, rather than visit one of the slave owners to deal with him personally, he murders children. What sort of God creates a companion as loving as a dog and then doesn’t give them a soul?

I understand that humans have free will but even as a mere mortal, I can promise you that there are better ways to handle situations. For example, God could prevent literally everyone going to hell. I don’t mean by closing the highway and directing traffic up the stairway to heaven but rather by appearing to all. If God were to appear to every single person on this Earth at the same time, with the same message (in each person’s language of course) and simply prove his existence to all beyond a shadow of doubt, wouldn’t the world be a much better place? There would be no religious differences, there would be no doubts about religious messages, we would live in a much more peaceful manner and people would stop sinning.

I understand that religions require faith…but to me, a God cannot be all-loving and yet let millions, billions, trillions or more souls suffer in hell for all eternity simply to show those who had blind faith from those who do not.

Final Point: Pascal’s Wager

I want to end this with one final point. If you haven’t heard of Pascal’s wager it’s the idea that humans bet on God’s existence with their lives. So if someone chooses to believe in God, then all they lose are a few freedoms and luxuries but they are wrong, nothing else happens. Whereas if someone chooses NOT to believe in God, they get those luxuries and freedoms but if they are wrong then they will suffer for all eternity. Ultimately, it makes more sense to simply believe because the input outweighs the potential risk of being wrong.

I (and many before me) would have to disagree. I imagine God giving my profile a read-through before deciding whether I go up or down after death. Perhaps you get an interview, I mean who really knows, right? So say I’m chatting to God and he asks me why I didn’t believe in him. What answer do you think (I know, I know, how can a mortal mind begin to remotely comprehend the mind of a God) he would prefer: someone who responds by being completely honest and forthcoming or someone who claims they believed (even though they didn’t really)?

God can see into the depths of our souls (as far as I’ve been told) and as such, he would know if we truly believe or not. What many people don’t seem to understand about belief is that it’s not a choice. If you DO believe then you can choose to what extent this belief impacts the way you live your life. But if you DON’T believe at all, you can’t force yourself to find the concept any more likely. You could go to church, you could pray, you could read the Bible over and over but none of that necessarily makes you any more of a believer. So I don’t fear death. There could very well be a God (although I’m fairly confident it wouldn’t be one that people worship today) but I can’t imagine that my lack of belief would be a negative thing providing I’m completely honest about my point of view.

1527
Cammy137 is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Influencers?

Most Helpful Guys

• I'm an atheist, I don't believe in any kind of god (s), devil (s), angels, demons etc.
    I also don't believe in heaven, hell and purgatory... because afterlife is not a realistic idea in my opinion (you can't do basically anything as an incorporeal entity).
    However, I do believe in reincarnation, but not as some "divine punishment/reward", but as a law of nature (just like gravity).
    Why? Because human mind is a form of bio-electric energy, and we all know that energy never dies, it only changes form.
    So, there is a way out, because - In new body, you don't remember your past life, it's like a reset/restart button in a video game.
    Think of it as using USB to upload your old computer's settings to a brand new PC.

• Excellent myTake by the way.

• A little late here but to comment on your opinion about energy, how do you know that the energy that constitutes your conciousness would be present after death in exactly the same pattern or type? It is probably becasue of these patterns of energy that make our conciousness unique. Entropy dictates that things fall into disorder over time your concious energy, assuming it exists would probably be converted to other types of energy instead of staying just as it is to the point that your conciousness is unrecogisable.
      Also this biological energy you mention is caused by electrochemical gradient from the movement of ions in the brain and without a functioning brain, nothing would regulate the energy.

• @Aki6000 Exactly, the energy wouldn't be regulated by the brain, that's why it would fall into disorder until rebirth in another physical body, where the other brain would start controling it - which explains why most people can't remember their previous life.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 15

• As a christian, I don't fear death, because I know that He has prepared a lovely home for me in heaven. All I do is have faith in Him. I don't have to do works to go to heaven. If I sin, He just forgives me of it. I have faith that Jesus did died for me, I believe in Him, and trust in Him for health, finances, protection, and everything.

• So in your mind, do atheists go to heaven too? or is not believing a bigger sin than all the rest?

• @jacquesvol But on the last day, he shall not forgive them for what they did.

• @yupitsmeboi By then I'll be long dead and forgotten

• Several things... for one, animals do have soul. They are not under the same category as humans because they have a slightly different purpose, but they are spirits created by God. Second, blind faith. I don't blindly believe everything "my" (they are not really mine, but the ones I read) Holy Books say. I have the same questions as you about heaven. My faith believes that under certain conditions, families can be together forever. I have said to my spouse before that if I can't be with my friends or family who are not members of this church, I'd rather not go to the highest degree of glory. I'd rather even go to hell than suffer a lonely, stoic life in heaven. But that's not the point. Only certain things are revealed to us as humans today. Your faith has to go beyond what people say and have you believe. A lot... a lot of people will try to spiritually coerce you and that's not of God. That's completely man made. Blind faith will get you nothing. Those will be the ones surprised in the after life asking but... but... didn't I serve you? When really they didn't use what was given to them to expand themselves. It's like the parables of the talents. And God... is not a business man who looks over your profile and decides with the glance of a CEO whether you are worthy or not. That's humans who act this why. So many things we don't know. So many things we can't know. I'm not worried and neither should you be. You can do right and good whether you profess belief in God or not. You can still get into heaven, in fact, because what's in your heart is way more important than what you outwardly do. So many people are like the Pharisees. They do their alms before men, i. e. they have to make a show of their good deeds to impress other people. That's not righteous. That's just people running the rat race to get points. And blind faith again... God commanding Abraham to kill Isaac. That was a test. Remember how he didn't let him kill him? God interrupted him. He wanted to test how serious he was. Sure, you could argue that's one hell of a test... but it takes a lot of outside the box thinking. People who go to church and read scriptures aren't necessarily the people you wanna look to for salvation or guidance. As for heaven... remember what it felt like going from not being able to read to knowing how to read and the world was forever changed and you could suddenly do a whole lot more things? Those are the kinds of experiences we will continue to have in heaven.

• Oh yeah... and don't listen to people who say there is not greater or lesser sin. That's a bunch of bullshit. People are judged by both their actions and what's in their heart. Any righteous judge would judge according the actual deeds done and not just a generic lump-all-into-one notion. We all sin, but we all sin differently. If all sin accounted for the same, there really wouldn't be any need for a judgment itself because we all wouldn't make it. We are saved by grace after all we can do. That means both faith and works. Works are just faith in action.

• Thanks for sharing! It's interesting to see all the different points of view in response to this. For example, animals not having souls is something I was told by religious teachers growing up. If it were to turn out that there is a Heaven then I'd be a lot happier knowing my dogs didn't just cease to exist.
      You certainly have a much more humble approach to religion than most which is refreshing to see. One of the things I find unbearable are people who claim to essentially knowing everything about God, what he thinks, what heaven is like, etc based on nothing more than what somebody else told them. So to have someone say that there's no way of knowing many aspects of these beliefs, it's certainly a nice change!

• Psalm 14
    14 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

• Exodus 21
      20-21: "Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property."

Numbers 31
      17-18: "Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately. But all the girls who have not known man intimately, spare for yourselves."

• @levantine99 If someone told me there's an invisible war going on I would not believe them, and probably think they were trying to con me. Unless you can actually prove to me that it's real, I'll just laugh at you and get on with my day because we have no proof invisible anything can exist, and I have no reason to think an invisible war should be an exception to that rule.

How do you know God revealed himself to us? The only thing you have is the Bible, a book wirtten by people, and the bible we have today isn't even the original, far from it in fact. I might a well tell you the Flying Spaghetti Monster is real and if you don't believe in him and repent your sins you will go to hell. How do I know this? A book told me and it made me feel good. You see how that makes no sense?

I don't choose hell. I don't believe hell exists. And what does God even have to gain from creating us? Is supposed to be all knowing and all powerful, so he should know exactly what would happen.

• He would also know some people would simply not believe, and yet he sends them to hell anyway. If he really wants people to love him, and why doesn't he actually reveal himself to people? If he came down and send "yo, I'm real" to me, then I couldn't exactly deny that, could I? And it wouldn't be hard for him, he is apparently all powerful, so what reason does he have to no show me he is real beyond a shadow of a doubt?

For example, if that con artist could actually show me that the soldiers fighting in this invisible war were real, then I would have more reason to believe it does actually exist.

• You reject only the mental product that you have constructed not the real deal. you never bothered to find the real deal in the first place. i have to amdit your enlighted moment of honesty though saying you are an antitheist. at least unlike others you admit it. although you dont yest comprehend the depts and nuances of this antitheism. not only you are opposing it rationally. your whole life and soul is currently a vehicle of antitheism. but as long as you breathe there is always room for progress. admitting your secularism is the first step for healing for many people. cause these things you called "freedoms" that you supposedely enjoy as a secular are but your chains.

• I reject the entire premise because as far as I'm concerned it's nothing more than a mental product. I don't view there as being anything wrong with secularism but you make it sound like admitting to a drug problem or a crime.
      I fail to see why taking things on faith, praying and obeying commands of a divine being as absolute morality represent the freeing of chains rather than the opposite?

• @jacquesvol when he comes to claim your imaginary soul on the deathbed, and you are showered in shivers and cold sweat, remember all the decades you were gifted to repent and you didn't. you atheists are a joke. to ever understand the presense of demons while you live you have to become their enemy. the only way to become their true enemy is to become a friend of Christ. while you ascend the spiritual ladder, thats when they begin getting annoyed. what could you know about them now? you are their plaything. they see you posting memes about them being fairies on the internet and laugh at your face. you have no idea of the spiritual war thats going on. and you will never will if you dont transform your life radically.

• Well, I grew up in a Christian home. I went through a stage of doubt in a higher power. I began going through some really tough personal issues, tried running away from the idea of God. But in those times, the times in which I was ready to end my life. I experienced the undeniable, the still unexplainable presence of God. Whom I believe is Jesus Christ. It's the most real thing I've ever felt and experienced. Wherever I go, His holy and unfathomable presence follows me. All I know He is true. I bet my life on it 10 000 times. Not trying to preach. Just trying to share. Ephesians 2:4-5 But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ— by grace you have been saved.

• I'm glad you're glad.
    I believe in God!

• Great take though I dont agree with a single word.

• I agree with everything you say.

• 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭r

• Interesting

• amazing post1

• the fact that you made this take shows that you are not GLAD at all

• Incredible logic there. So if I made a post about why I'm glad I don't have cancer, would that mean that I actually want cancer? You have the objectivity of a 7 year old.

• I sense hatred from you.

• I hate illogical arguments or ideas, sure. I don't harbour any hated for individual people.

• God, your father, made you a human being. How the hell do u think you got here to even post this?

• My father and mother made me. They teach you that in school, it's a pretty well-known biological process. My mother and father fornicated, I was born, I went to one school, then another, then university, then got a job, then moved here and wrote this. Hopefully that explanation helps!

• You got any proof of that, anon? Because that seems rather unlikely.

• Nice my take

• Good take

What Guys Said 25

• I'm not against your opinion but something you have said was clearly wrong (for islam at least I don't know about christians), you said that god is controlling, angry, promotes genocide and whatnot, in the Quran, it is said multiple times that god is the most forgiving and will forgive you for anything you do, even something like not believing in him completely, but then believing in him the last couple of days of your life, this can be forgiven, and something as easy as feeding a stray cat, can open the gates of heaven for you, he does NOT promote slavery or genocide, because the last day of the world, which everyone will die at and be asked for what he did in life, GOOD people are actually going to die first before seeing all of the damage that will happen to earth, they will die a peaceful death like going to sleep and not waking up, and why hell exists to torture people, because people who ruined other peoples life (murder, and injustice) have to be punished for what they did, they can't just die like everyone else without getting punished for what they did... Don't you think?

• This kind of stuff goes over Atheist's heads. So, no point in even discussing it with them.

Qur'an says:

Surely those who disbelieve, it being alike to them whether you warn them, or do not warn them, will not believe.

[2:7] Allah has set a seal upon their hearts and upon their hearing and there is a covering over their eyes, and there is a great punishment for them.

• Your last comment is called Pascal's wager which is something I addressed within the MyTake. People can't force themselves to believe. It isn't like deciding what shoes to wear or like deciding to become vegan. You either believe or you don't. You can't force yourself to switch from one to the other.

• That's true, it's all about the person's true beliefs.

• if God doesn't exist, Satan doesn't exist too. wonder what are those dumb Satanist doing, why nobody talks about Satanist and black metal? so if God doesn't exist, Satan and evil ultimately dont exist.

• Perhaps because they are a small blip in comparison to the number of people believing in the mainstream religions? Also, evil existing isn't dependent on the existence of either God or Satan.

• Do you believe in every being that would benefit from your not believing it exists? What about Eric the God-Eating penguin? Eric feeds off the power of people who don't believe in him. So the less people believe in him, the more powerful he becomes and the further his reach becomes. Do you believe in Eric?

• @Ferruccio no gods , no devils indeed.
      Thus don't fear.

• You can state all you want but you are 100% wrong, it's because you choose not to believe, As a Muslim, I'm on the sides of people who truly believe in God and are good people (other Muslims, Christians, Catholics and etc). People who disbelieve God do so for 2 reasons

1- If God existed why would he not fix the current problems, I state, what happened to all the empires that fallen, why? Because God has a plan for each era until the time comes to an end and the Day of Judgement arrives.
    2- People want to disbelieve in God because they don't want to obey and thank God, they don't want their life to change. It's simple as that. It's ignorance. Since the dawn of civilization, Atheists have actually caused more wars and bloodshed then religions have actually.

Whether you believe those videos is up to you, but what has been prophesized over 1400 years ago all the minor events have occured and the major events will occur next, the 12th imam and Jesus will restore, peace, unity, justice and spread religion (the true word of God) throughout one day on this earth, mark my words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9QmiT-TyKMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=wEjqqWxWpfohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRh6bgWScLUhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrwaoKzceA4

• I don't choose not to believe. From a young age I've always felt unable to believe in a God or divine being. I was taken to church, my teachers at school were all religious and most of my family was religious and even as a child, it made no sense to me that grown adults could believe in such nonsense. Nothing since then has made me doubt my convictions.
      So until such a time that God decides to make an appearance, I can't say that I'm worried.

• bro you didn't understand a thing. i'm not refering to you. i'm refering to the old guy. im a christian bro wake up.

• No, you're simply wrong. I'm not going to bother with those videos, creationists never know what they're talking about from experience, and here is another example. I do not choose to deny the existence of God because I don't want to thank him or whatever, I simply lack the belief he exists because there is no evidence to believe it. Someone could come up to me and be like "hey, I just saved your life, worship me and make your life revolve around me or I'll torture you for eternity" and not give you any proof he did. He sounds like a crazy mad man, right? You were just walking along minding your own business, when suddenly this weirdo creep comes out of knowhere and demmands you worship him and make your life revolve around him because he apparently saved your life, but he shows no proof of it. That's God. The Muslim God is especially bad because he makes people not believe, and then punishes them for not believing. And that's just one terrible thing he does...

• As G. K. Chesterton wrote, “It is absurd for the Evolutionist to complain that it is unthinkable for an admittedly unthinkable God to make everything out of nothing, and then pretend that it is more thinkable that nothing should turn itself into everything.”

The paradox is that the atheist is as extreme in his way as is the religious fanatic. Because the atheist sees evil in the world, he assumes that there must therefore be no God.

This presents two problems. First, if there is nothing but the impersonal forces of nature and the laws of physics, then there is no free will. Every thought, every action is predetermined by the intermix of molecular and physical reactions. Nothing can be other than what it is.

The problem then becomes that your belief that God does not exist is then also a simple biochemical molecular reaction. You came to the only conclusion that your physiological structure predetermined you would.

However, if that is true, then your conclusion is no more valid than the opposite conclusion. It was simply the luck of the draw of your brain's electro-chemical reactions and you end up in an intellectual hall of mirrors.

The other problem is that the reaction is premised on the idea that God is benevolent. In effect, the atheist is rejecting only one vision of God - namely the Judeo-Christian version.

In truth, there are other conceptions of God. The ancient Greeks and Romans believed that the gods were arbitrary and capricious.

Indeed, they conceived, because as they expanded outward they encountered other cultures with different gods, that there must be more than one deity. There is a logical problem with that, but it does not negate the fact that the atheists have accepted a deterministic view while rejecting the idea that God is more complex - and perhaps not as benevolent - as the deity they reject.

Chesterton's point stands - and is a reflection of Aquinas' view of God as the first cause of all things. If everything in the universe must have a beginning, then logically something must stand outside the universe to start the universe itself.

The funny part is that the atheist argues that the universe is more complex than religion. Yet their own explanation is, itself, an oversimplification - to which is added the unscientific mistake of pretending to know that which must stand outside of the knowable.

• "I’m GLAD that religious texts have little to no historical value"
    Uh, I don't know why you could say that.
    The bible, the Hindu texts, the Buddhist texts, the Muslim ones, the Jewish ones. Really all of them
    They are all of value to historians and archeologists as they help them piece together what life was like and historical cultures

• Perhaps I should have worded that more carefully then. My point wasn't supposed to reflect that they can't be used to get an impression of what societies were like... but using them as guides for historical moments would be silly, as would be using them on their own without other texts or pieces of evidence.
      Like taking only Holy Books in order to get an understanding of history would be noneducational in terms of actual historical events.

• I think what he means is that people try to claim the events in their bible are historically accurate as way to prove their God is real, when a lot of them aren't and some have even been disproven. Yes, they give some insight into the minds of people at the time (because it was written by people, not god c:) but beyond that, it's kinda useless.

• I think you missed the point on several intervals. Let's start with Pascal:

If he's all-loving, and wants you to love Him, he has to give you the option not to, at least temporarily. This is the Volition Dilemma Paradox, and I'm surprised you haven't heard of it by now. It is the only reason to allow "free" will. Because let's face it: letting anything be autonomous can lead to chaos.

Moreover, it's not like he sends you to Hell for vindictive purposes, as though he were petty and vindictive like we are. If you choose that you do not want a life with him in it, then he won't force it on you. Yet, you still have to live with the consequences of your choice.

Hell, is where you send yourself.

Also, to say "no-caring" is massively ignorant. It's why we were given law in the first place. It's why we're given the ability to feel empathy, and urged to cultivate empathy in each other.

Evil still happens, because Adam cursed creation to be defiant for no reason. Therefore, everything must suffer for a time. Yet, he didn't isolate himself from that suffering either. He instead let himself endure it too, so that he could relate to our suffering.

If my one high school ex isn't in Heaven, it's because she made the choice to throw it away for the heroin. That is all on her, not on God. I won't be happy; but it'd be a fool's errand to blame God for her decision. She made it. And being angry with her would also be pointless, because she's already suffering for her own foolishness. Why destroy my own happiness for that?

Volition Dilemma Paradox is your stumbling block. However, I'm glad you at least didn't write this with the vitriol of a Facebook troll. Because I get tired of dealing with them, using the same straw arguments over and over.

• Maybe you could explain the Volition Dilemma Paradox to me and how it relates to Pascal's wager? I tried researching it just now and very little came up when searching for the term.

Well it seems to me that sending someone to hell for not believing in you, despite there being no evidence to convince them and many, many, many other religions that claim to have the same substance and same punishment for not believing.

The Heaven aspect you mentioned (about a one high school ex and heroin) isn't really relevant to my point. I wasn't saying that it was necessarily God's fault. I was more commenting on the idea in of itself. How could I enjoy myself knowing that one poor decision led to someone I care deeply for suffering for all eternity?
      I couldn't enjoy a party if downstairs criminals were being brutally tortured for J-Wallking.

• The Catholic God doesn't "allow war and slavery", He gives people free will and conscience. This means He has no control over what you do or think. And the examples of God using violence and killing people in the Bible was used to save people and banish evil. God brought the plague upon Egypt not because they didn't worship him but because they enslaved the Hebrews, which counters your argument of God allowing slavery. When He killed those children, it was His last resort. He had actually done 9 other things prior to Egypt that were't as bad as the last one and from before the plague began and in between each plague, God sent Moses to continuously ask the pharaoh to let His people go free. The pharaoh didn't want to lose his slaves and saw Hebrews as inferior people who don't deserve freedom. The flood, which even as a Catholic I doubt is actually a factual story, was created to wash away evil as God saw the world as full of evil, violence and people with no morals. Also, when you die its not like you automatically go straight to heaven and hell. You actually go to a place called purgatory.

• Firstly, let me just highlight that I mentioned that all my points wouldn't apply to every single person's individual belief system. Do you know how many variations of Catholicism alone there are? Let alone all the versions of Christianity or all the versions of every religion.

Let's start with your claim that the Catholic God doesn't allow war or slavery. Have you read the Bible? Are you aware of Exodus 21:21-22 when God himself says "Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property."
      Not only is God clearly stating that owning slaves is acceptable but also that beating your slave is also acceptable provided the slave recovers and doesn't die. This just after he tells Moses the commandments.

I can also find you MANY passages where God himself pushes war or genocide. Just ask if you want me to. But refute this one fi

• I agree on what you say about slavery being written about in the Bible because of societal norms at the time and that slavery was common. In Christianity, it is believed that God spoke to whomever was writing through dreams or epiphanies and the person would interpret it by writing it down. It wouldn't be too far-fetched to suggest that whomever was writing the certain section of the Bible wrote it so that it related to the current society. As for why slavery isn't mentioned on the Ten Commandments, I could only imagine that maybe it was for the same reasons s why slavery is mentioned in the Bible. I have not fully read the Old Testament so I could not tell you exactly why God says what he says in the Bible. I have read the New Testament however, as Christianity is based on the New Testament.

• That section of Exodus is literally supposed to be God speaking to Moses. Christianity began with the birth of Jesus but everything that happened in the old testament is still part of the faith. It's the same God after all.

• I believe in God and in the Bible. Is it ok if someone doesn't believe in what you believe?

• Sure, brother! People can believe what they want. I can only speak for my own beliefs and have no right to tell someone else what they may or may not believe in.

• I too also respect how you feel.

• 0|3
    • @levantine99 When you get personal that means you've no arguments left

• no its like pure and genuine frustration. you can't really have that "argument". its the equivalent of saying "why did God let the global warming happen?" or "why did God let Ann steal my rubber in third grade?"

• "Why I'm GLAD a God Doesn't Exist"

I myself don't believe in god, because there's no causal, verifiable proof for the existence of one. With this statement, though, you've put yourself in a rather peculiar position; by saying you're glad God doesn't exist, you've essentially made a positive claim about God's non-existence--which is meaningless and contrived, since it's like getting angry at your imagination. It's all hot air.

Honestly, just say "prove God exists" and be done with it, because it can't be done and any attempt to do so is utterly pointless. People have been trying for literal millennia and none have been successful.

P. S. I have to admit, I've never seen someone claim good tidings over a lack of a negative before. That's a new one.

• As I said at the start, the purpose was to demonstrate why I would class myself as an antitheist rather than simply an atheist. It had absolutely nothing to do with debating God's existence. I mean someone could be glad that vampires aren't real or werewolves aren't real or telepaths aren't real.
      You may view it as hot air (as do I) but since many people, even a majority of the planet view it as why everyone should love God and be grateful for everything he does. So at the very least it's a perspective for religious people to help them realise why someone may disagree with that aspect of their belief. Since many religious people won't listen to evidence (or accept the fact that they have little to none to present). So perhaps it's time a different approach was taken.

• I'm glad there isn't some pervert watching me jerk off. Such a gross idea to have somebody who is "everywhere at once".

• You're kind of making the assumption that God, etc. is as described in certain books. There is no real reason that that would necessarily be the case - you are confusing God with popular religion.

• Those who make those religions popular are making the assumption. I'm simply commenting based on the beliefs of the popular religions.

• how dare you think like that! ;DDD
    zeus damn you ;DDD
    or odin ;DDD

• I'm sorry, but this take is stupid. Literally. Lol

• Agreed. I mean I'm all for people having their religious beliefs but they should at least read the book that their religion is based on.

• @Cammy137 that's not what they learned in Sunday School

• Excellent work. Logical and insightful.

• God is not great: How religion poisons everything

• How utterly boring.

• Excellent myTake and i couldnt agree more

• Some very good points!

• thank you

• More from Guys
    5