How I understand the three temptations in the bible

When Jesus is asked to turn stone into bread

I think of how a lot of secularists deny emotional needs in favour of physical needs, the end result being either heathenism or emotional abuse.

When Jesus is asked to throw himself down from the temple

I think of how a lot of religious people deny their psychological needs in favour of their social needs, the end result being hypocrisy and deceit.

When Jesus is asked to worship God in return for all the glories of the world

I think of how many bible readers deny their spiritual needs in favour of their intellectual needs, the result being hatred and bitterness.

5
1

Most Helpful Guys

• Those all sound like sensible and interesting interpretations to me 😊
    Is this still revelant?
    • Jjpayne

Thank you for the mho 😊

• Thank you for sharing
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

13
  • BloJo
    Jesus was denying his physical needs to show submission to the Father God. He was in a place that was devoid of food to help lessen the temptation to eat. The Devil reminded him that he had the power to create food. He placed humility and submission as more important than dietary needs.

Jesus was about to begin a three years long mission to save humanity. He would be opposed by the religious leaders. Throwing Himself from the Temple would have demonstrated his divine nature. This would have diminished the opposition to his mission and made his life much easier. But he needed to live a hard life to show that it is possible. He also needed to be opposed by the religious leaders that he would be opposing. (He also needed to fulfill his mission without trying to for the Father God to act and enable him to take a shortcut.)

The third temptation was the most difficult. Satan showed him what He could have. Satan volunteered to surrender. Satan would stop tempting people. Jesus would not need to die. He could rule, unopposed, as God over sinless humans. Jesus knew that it would be wrong to give to Satan the honor that only God deserves. He took the hard path. He triumphed.
  • collie22
    God made our flesh body and all our needs but we shouldn't lust
  • DesolateRain
    Intresting, thank you for sharing.
  • pizzapizzapizza
    Who wrote the bible?