What Humility is and what it is not

What Humility is and what it is not

A lot of people think humility is self hatred or self-rejection but that is not humility. Jesus was rejected by the religious leaders, he was not rejected by his people.

Humility is the civil acceptance and favourable perception of God, of others, and of your life. Like little children, we were born not to be critics or haters but to be vessels of appreciation. We must appreciate life in all its forms and this includes appreciating our own identities and goals and dreams and livelihoods. We are not the shadow, we are the light of self understanding, a compassionate self care that reflects and spreads into all our other social relationships on earth and this side of heaven.

Most people are aware that humility involves characterizing yourself with positive and moralizing biblical stipulations and obligations and blessings.

But, humility involves not only characterizing yourself favourably but also characterizing others favourably and this requires an elongated patience towards those that test you like racist co-workers who spread lies about you and try to get you fired, or heathen who tell you your faith in God is stupid.

In the same way that God lengthened Hezekiah’s shadow in reverse order, so God can lengthen your patience and reverse the sequence of victimization that was unwittingly placed on you by those who had what appeared to be a monopoly of power over your life.

You cannot maintain both success and harmony unless you want for others what you want for yourself and accept for others what you also accept for yourself. To create contradiction between how you address yourself and how you address others will lead to collapsing self defeat at a karmic level because your dreams will seem as if they are futile and blocked. If you want hope for yourself, you must give hope to the hopeless around you.

The spiritual value you plant in others is the circumstantial value that will be planted in you. If you want to be viewed as beautiful by God, you must view others as beautiful to harmonize your spirit with the identity of beauty so that it does not become a theme of cognitive dissonance for you. The reason many businesses fail is that they actively plot the failure of others.

What Humility is and what it is not
6
1

Most Helpful Guys

• I totally agree, humility is a strength.

I think the more appropriate term is honorable, you are honorable and respectful to those around you.

It's acknowledging that it's a good thing to 1. Acknowledge that you might not know everything, being open and supportive of new ideas, 2. That other people are just as important as yourself
    Is this still revelant?
    • Jjpayne

Thank you for the mho 😊

• Smoothing
    I had no idea that any body would look at humility through a religious screen.

I have always known humility to be a show of one's modesty. It is actually a wonderful quality.

I have always thought of people with a sense of humility to be worthy of respect.

Humility usually exists together with wisdom.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

14
  • es20490446e
    I think humility is knowing that it doesn't matter who you are. That what makes the difference is what you do, despite of who you are or what your situation is.
  • Makeushiver
    Humility is a rare (anymore) and admirable quality. I've heard that the difference between humiliation and humility is not thinking less of yourself but thinking of yourself less. People spend so much effort letting people know how great they are that humility often gets overlooked but I don't think anyone even considers humility as a virtue any longer. Most people, & I fall into this trap as much as anyone true greatness or honor without humility. No one realizes what qualities they may think they have and cherish like beauty, intelligence, money are mostly things that are bestowed by grace. No one should brag about those things since they had little to do with attaining them. Thanks
  • DJB72
    Godly humility is not making yourself out to be more or less than what God says you are.

Joseph was a humble man as well as a prosperous one. Moses is described as the most humble man in the world - in a text he wrote! All the Godly men and women in the Bible were humble, setting out to do no more or less than what God told them to do.

Somehow humility and self-deprecating behaviour have become synonyms. In reality, making yourself out to be less than you are is as arrogant as making yourself out to be more.
    • Smoothing

The key word is "making". That is an act of deceit. Plain and simple. Though that should never be mistaken for the fact that wisdom genuinely makes people humble. The wiser one becomes, the more they realise how how small the are in the bigger picture of things.

It is not an act. Some people in the fast pace environment that we live in today where by people think the best way to succeed is by stepping on others and not caring, actually mistake that humility/ modesty as an act or even weakness which is further from the truth.

I just thought I mentioned this. I am not disagreeing with you @DJB72

• LemiaOfTheCodes
    Your my takes are getting really good.
  • collie22
    smiles