Are Most Human Beings Inherently Evil?

Careless_Whisper
Are Most Human Beings Inherently Evil?

For most of my life I have noticed that when human beings get into positions of high authority or in a position to get away with doing evil, they usually end up doing it. I'll give you some examples:

Throughout history, soldiers who have conquered other people's land often raped the women and children. When these soldiers were back home, they were regarded as good brave men. They seemed like everybody else: hard working tax payers who looked after their families. But when they were out at war, they raped, tortured, and murdered women and children. They were in a position to get away with it. Nobody was there to stop them.

Another example is the dark ages. In those days many innocent people were tortured to death, either being skinned alive, burden at the stake, or much worse. Quite often the torture and execution was done publicly, where people in the local town gathered together to enjoy watching the executioner torture the victim to death. It was a form of entertainment. In those days torture and execution was a normal part of society, and a lot of people enjoyed seeing others being tortured to death.

Are Most Human Beings Inherently Evil?

It's the same with the police. The police with arrest criminals on our streets, but protect the criminals in government. In the UK the police have been covering up child abuse rings for decades, child abuse rings that are linked to the government. These people in high authority are getting away with raping and abusing very young children, and the whole thing gets covered up.

This has been a short myTake, but the point I'm trying to make is that it seems whenever human beings get into high positions of authority and know they can get away with doing evil, so often they tend to do it. So, are most humans inherently evil? There is a lot of people who think they are good and moral, but if they were in positions of high authority, maybe they wouldn't be so nice. Who knows?

Tell me what you think.

Are Most Human Beings Inherently Evil?
6
9

Most Helpful Guy

• aficionado
    This is ABSOLUTELY true in every possible. The human species itself is evil, selfish, judgmental and cruel. If a humans have to be 'good', they have to fight against their natural instincts, and most do not want to make this effort. So they 'blissfully' continue to remain evil.

Also, every human being above the age of 5 or 6, have at least SOME evil them. I'm not claiming to be a saint either, because I have done some nasty stuff which I regret every single day of my existence.

I actually feel ashamed to be part if this 'evil' species.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• Cccgala
    Let me quote some words of wisdom from the film Mean Girls: "There are two kinds of evil people: (1) people who do evil stuff, and; (2) people who see evil stuff without doing anything to stop them."

For the people who "do evil stuff", they are inherently thirsty for whatever satisfies them. They do everything to satisfy and attain their goals, whether petty or significant. Thus, they devise the means, methods, and objectives to attain that goal, totally inconsiderate whether the means are humane or inhumane.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

58
  • BCRanger10
    No. Humans naturally pursue what is good. There are two problems though. The first is the old saying that the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. People pursue something that they think is good (or it legitimately is), but they choose evil ways of pursuing it.

The other is moral relativism. Everyone decides what is good. There is no objective right or wrong. Moral relativism does nothing more than silence those voices that speak for what is objectively good.
  • Jehovahkiin
    I don’t subscribe to the rigid good or evil dichotomy, period. To imply that all humans are inherently evil or good is to say that there is a strict, hardline meaning of what constitutes good and evil, which isn’t really the case. Morality is too complex for that. Nobody is ‘evil’, everyone has reasons behind what they do, whether it be rational or irrational.
    • It seems everyone has missed the point of this myTake. My point is that when many of these "good" people get into positions of power and authority, they often tend to do evil. It seems that when people don't have power and authority, they do good. But when they get power and authority, it seems to change them and they end up doing evil because they are now in a position to get away with it.

• I understand your point. My omission from responding directly to your point doesn’t mean that I did not understand your take. But it doesn’t seem like you’re understanding MY point.

“Are humans inherently evil, based on the idea that people have the tendency to take advantage of others when they have power?” <~~ The condensed idea of your Take. My response to that is that you cannot make a moral judgement based on your notion alone, because there isn’t an objective idea or ‘good’ and ‘evil in the first place. A person who takes advantage of others for his/her own gain can be deemed as selfish, but not necessarily evil. If that person happens to benefit the world significantly (in some way) directly due to taking advantage of others, he would essentially be the epitome of 'good' to a consequentialist, but not so much to a deontologist.
      With that in mind, coming back to the initial question - Are humans inherently evil? Absolutely not.

• I disagree

• 

• somebodysaycheese
    No, generally people in power think they no longer need god. So they turn their back on him. there is only good and evil no inbetween. If you dont acknowledge him youve chosen evil.
  • shortandsweet24
    I think that there are some very bad people in the world. But, it absolutely doesn't eliminate the purely good hearted people who sacrifice their lives to protect others, or the doctors and firefighters who put their lives on the line to ease the pain and fesr of others. Including the people who want to heal and help the world.

So, yes... there is evil in the world. But, there is also goodness and kindness. You just have to keep your eyes open to it. And, try to ignore the vicious, despicable behavior of Trump and others like him...

Enjoy your day, hon! 😁 💜
    • I think people have misunderstood me. Yes there are people who do lots of good, but so often, many of these "good" people end up doing evil things when they get into positions of power and authority. That's my point. By the way, I support Trump. It's mostly the liberals who hate Trump.

• jjesica346

Awwww damn I would not of answered this ques had I known a trump follower made it!!! ITS STILL BERNIE OR BUST for Mae!!!

• @jjesica346 Same! Except now, he's out. So, I will vote for the lesser of two evils. Not Trump... 😒

• jjesica346
    Great take! Short answer eh yep! I have thought about this several times in life to no avail other than pure evil for most. It's bad out there.
  • JRICHARDS1996
    There were no 'dark ages.' The term is a historical misnomer coined by Enlightenment poets with an axe to grind against religion. That said however, I believe that humans are inherently neutral and/or capable of being either good or bad, evident by the fact that there are both types of humans.

What you are describing are situational forces. Dr. Philip Zimbardo explains them in his book 'The Lucifer Effect' which made sense of the Stanford Prison Experiment. In other words, the right (or rather wrong) external factors like authority, deindividuation, semantics, and anonymity can cause humans to go wrong. But external factors can likewise bring out the best in people, as the potential for heroism also exists in every human.
  • goodmood
    Humans are inherently good and altruistic. If strangers need help on the street, people usually come for help.

• Alex88F
    nah, just more egoistical. which means more stupid in the long run
  • soulbabe
    ya we are naturally evil
  • Other_Tommy_Wiseau
    People are inherently stupid, not evil
  • captainCRUNCH
    not really.
  • Anonymous
    Thanks for making me feel sad again... :(

Reminds me of this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment
  • Anonymous
    human beings are inherently loving and peaceful because we were created in the image of god...

the problem arises with the fact that we have free will..

were imperfect so we usually abuse free will and use it improperly to carry out evil and wrong which gives off the impression that we are inherently evil

• Anonymous

Exactly. That is our imperfection. When we gain power, we become selfish.

Technically, the best type of government to have in a country is a dictatorship; a *benevolent* dictatorship. But like I said, humans will never be benevolent because of our imperfections.