Beauty Really Is In The Eye Of The Beholder

Spiorad_Aisce

Introduction

Where this take comes from, is my thought process about the seemingly increasing preoccupation with looks in the modern world. We are now living in the era of Instagram model fame where your self worth is measured by how many thousand Instagram followers you have. From the endless "Rate Me?" questions to the "How Do I Need To Change My Appearance?" posts, which are asking how to get a boyfriend/girlfriend or how to get noticed or how to become popular. There are very few questions like "Is My Personality Good Enough? or "Should I Change My Persona?" to achieve certain things.

Apart from my belief that there is no such thing as standard beauty. I believe that everyone is beautiful in their own way. I feel that people should only change for themselves not others because a person's true personality is very likely to come back, if they are putting on an act to attract someone or to get attention. Is it not better to attract someone or to get attention by being the person you are rather than a fictitious role that you must remember to portray at all times or the game is up.

#BATTLEROYALE

(1) Hot/Cute/Pretty/Gorgeous/Attractive/Sexy?

I see these words appear a lot on GaG and to the user that is mentioning them, they clearly mean different things with perceived delineation but to me they all blur into one, can we not just pick one word, say "Attractive" and go with that instead of having a transcendental crisis trying to work out what a person is asking plus what our appropriate response should be.

The way I look at it is, the Republic Of Ireland is roughly 300 miles long and 200 miles wide with 26 counties. If I as an Irish person, talked to people from Cork (south), Galway (west), Donegal (north), Dublin (east) and Westmeath (centre), I would spot the different accents but they would just sound Irish to everyone else who is from outside the country with no major knowledge of Ireland. Here is a map of the island of Ireland for anyone interested, Northern Ireland is a separate country to us.

So in my world we can all agree on the word "Attractive". Now I want to look at the statement there is no such thing as standard in beauty and there can be many different types of beauty which may not appeal to all but definitely appeal to some. In this scenario the beautiful people in the world are not a miniscule subset of the population but a much larger proportion of it.

Note :- In the next two paragraphs I want to show many different examples of beauty. They all look very attractive to me. No example is meant to be better than any other.

(2) There Are Many Points Of Beauty On The Spectrum And Many Ways To Display It:

- Overtly Sexy Or Subtly Attractive

- Light/No Make Up To Made Up

- A Tiny Bit Of Cheating Here Because Of Number Of Pictures Restriction. This Is A Photo Of The Pussycat Dolls To Show Beautiful Women With Different Hair Lengths/Styles/Colours

- Dressed Up Or Casual

(2) Beauty Comes In All Shapes And Sizes With Many Different Personality Types:-

Thick Or Slim

Popular Party Girl Or Shy Quiet Girl

(3) Just Because Someone Is Different To You It Doesn't Make Them Any Less Beautiful

Conclusion:

I suppose what I am saying is there is so many different types of beauty, both for male and female that one shouldn't get obsessed by what your version of beauty is. More than likely there will be someone who will like you just the way you are and will be probably more worried about what your inner beauty is like rather than your outer beauty.

We tend to be our harshest critics so the beauty we fail to see can be often seen by other people.

Thanks for reading.

5
16

Most Helpful Guy

• Fathoms77
    I believe there are biological elements to attraction. For instance, the reason we are attracted to thin individuals is simply because our brains are telling us they are healthy, and potentially good parents. It's instinctual in that way; an animal will never be attracted to other animals that appear sickly. It's not a matter of cosmetic appeal; it's just the way things work. I also believe there are universal elements of beauty, such as high cheekbones, lustrous hair, and the like.

Beyond that, though, personal preference and opinion takes over. :)
    Is this still revelant?
    • In a sense I agree but the physical attraction is only about 1% of it for me - I can admire beauty in other people but not be attracted to them, it is like saying they are smart or sporty or something, no biggie.

• COCOCHANEL

i'm with you on that school of thought but i'd like to know why in recent decades men in east asia (specifically japan) have tended to select women with less curvature in the hips. the majority of men prefer women with stick thin figures. in past generations it was not like this. i know we can say it's because of manga, etc but... if we are hard-wired to find healthy mates who can reproduce it seems a bit odd. i've spoken with a few medical doctors about this and it is a noted trend with emergency c-sections on the rise.

Most Helpful Girl

• Anonymous
    You should use better examples. I prefer these pictures, because these portray non-Western forms of beauty. The people in the images you used are molded to fit the Western ideal of beauty.

www.dailystormer.com/.../...an_Aborigines_hd_4.jpg

media.web.britannica.com/.../...9-004-A27C5A9E.jpg
    Is this still revelant?
    • Thanks for reading - Excellent point, I did feel that way myself a bit afterwards when I looked at it again, there was a subconscious bias to my perceptions.

• they are not even remotley attractive

• Those ladies are ugly af
      i think 99.9% of the earths population would agree

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

415
  • COCOCHANEL
    you have made some good points
  • IceCubedude
    sorry to burst your bubble but you dont have sex with a personality, when beuaty, looks... etc are used it means people looking at your face and deciding how pretty you are , there is no other thing to it.
    • Agree to disagree here - I couldn't just have sex with someone I didn't like because they were "Physically Beautiful", might as well hire an escort.

• we have different opinions but i can assure you that 90% of en will have sex with any willing woman who is attractive or not so attractive to them if they need a realse, iam not marrying i am just looking for some fun , if i were to marry a girl i would look at more than just looks , but even then she can have the sweetest personality if she is not pretty she is not pretty and nothing can change that looks and personality are too different things , i understand if a girl is average or slightly above average and you find her prettier the more you love her, but if she's a 3/10 not all the love in the world can change that.

• Blonde401
    It's certainly nice to see a take like this on here, not bashing anyone but celebrating nice things about people. Wish I knew what it feels like to feel beautiful or be happy with ones self or appearence but maybe I never will but I see it a lot in others, I like to find something beautiful about every person I meet, whether that's physical or internal.
    • Thanks for reading - Your last sentence "I like to find to find something beautiful about every person I meet, whether that's physical or internal" - Do something for me, apply that logic next time you look in the mirror or think about yourself - You seem to have a lovely personality and you look very beautiful in your profile pic so it should be easy for you.

• Blonde401

Thanks, it's really not easy. I post pics where I feel a bit more confident to try and gain confidence but when I'm looking in a mirror I don't spot anything beautiful :(

• Unfortunately we seem to be our own harshest critic and don't see our own beauty - I think you look fantastic in your profile pic

• EmpatheticLady
    Thank you! I definitely agree with you that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes. It's not all about looks either. A good personality improves someone's attractiveness while a terrible one diminishes beauty.
  • Nice_Guy_Last
    Reminds me of a certain Twilight Zone episode. An amazing show, and it was an amazing episode about this very topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFhKp-xi2DY
    • Thanks for that - I always enjoyed "The Twilight Zone" both the new one and the old one - There was always a bit of a moral streak in it.

• I watched the episode, it was a good one but you did see it coming. One of my favourite Twilight Zones was where a race of aliens came and said "We looked at your world and decided it is a waste of space therefore we are going to destroy it for the betterment of the universe". The world leaders went "Hang on a second, we can fix it, give us 24 hours", the aliens relented and the UN called a meeting, all the international wars and disputes were sorted. The UN went back to the aliens saying "See we can do it, live together in peace" and the aliens replied "We were disappointed because you were too soft, not warlike enough so we still have to destroy your world". I didn't see that one coming.

• FrankReynolds
    Black women of various complexions figures ranging from modest to curve with a large ass and White women with good curves and a big ass. Her hair straight to very wavy from 4 to 14 inches in length. Basically speaking bikini babe worthy. Also many Hispanic women are beautiful.
    • Great calls - Thanks for reading

• Also I love that women in that sexy dresses. com. photo. I wish she was in a bikini.

• MrShinyPants
    Nailed it on the nose, very true, i always say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and at times those eyes are blind as a bat, people should be happy about how good they look because there's always something about them that is beautiful or handsome
  • Alex88F
    totally - i should be dating a girl who, as my friends said, she's a 10/10
    sadly, i look at her like she's barely a 6

and in in love with a girl that for me is a 11/10
    but my friends see her as a 4. wtf
    • So nice to hear a story like that - Makes my theory seem true.

• Scrambledagain
    Fully don't believe in this. I'm not gonna get a supermodel no matter how beautiful I am on the inside. You can't compare beauty in attraction to beauty in life. Love/attraction comes with conditions. And being kind and beautiful on the inside doesn't attract. May be good when you with someone, but it doesn't make getting that someone any easier. It's the ultimate ball kicker in love and relationships. Ugly guys and girls are almost non existent in love and sex. You can clearly, without a doubt see all the guys chase the hot girl and vise versa. If it weren't so, everyone would be choosing the love and sex life they want. And players, naturals, alphas etc wouldn't exist because everyone is beautiful to everyone. Soft, nice guy would get girls as easy as jocks. Doesn't happen. That's the reality.
    • Again as I said earlier to someone agree to disagree - Granted what you say happens but there are also times when people are more attracted to a personality than looks too.

• I don't agree to disagree. It's a fact. If it wasn't, the world and the love game would be different. End of story. Yes you get outliers, like there is some big 120kg woman who can play rugby. Buts it's not the norm.

• JohnDoe3000
    I sort of have to disagree here. Yes, personality matters a lot and a bad/incompatible personality can get a physically attractive person rejected, but most of the time everything starts with physical attraction. Basically someone has to find you physically attractive (or at least not unattractive) before they will move on to judging your personality (this makes sense: doing it the other way around would cost much more time and effort). And the truth is physical attraction is mostly universal: people around the world (especially from the same ethnicity) find the same things attractive in general. Sure some might prefer blue eyes over hazel eyes and vice versa but almost no one will prefer a fat girl over a fit girl or a guy with a chubby face over a guy with square jaw and cheekbones.
    • I think there was a similar opinion elsewhere and I said agree to disagree - Granted what you say, these things happen but there are times when feelings may grow unexpectedly say with a work colleague or a acquaintance based almost totally on a personality connection - Your premise would hold for what can we call it , romantic cold calling in a bar or a club.

• I think my premise still holds for the cases you mention, most of the time. The other person still has to find you "not unattractive" (though admittedly they don't have to find you totally hot like they would in a club or with online dating, etc...), and probably still a bit more than that if they have options besides you.

• Interesting - I suppose we will never know what goes on in everybody's mind

• HulkkSmash
    Just don't expect a fat girl to become a super model. Your take is realistic in a way that there's someone for everyone. But dont confuse a rich personality with a poor appearance.
    • Very true, it is not a given - Some very attractive people have great personality and some plain people might not have great personalitities.

• Amanda1579

What about like Tess Holliday or something? lol she is a pretty big girl don't get me wrong, but is still considered a supermodel. I understand your point, but quite a few people have to think you're beautiful to become a super model...

• HulkkSmash

@Amanda1579

Pretty big? She's a human hippo.

• bloodmountain1990
    Very true. What may be attractive to one may not be attractive to another.

In the end, everyone's got their own preferences.
  • Zorax
    Great Take, I agree, every person has different type of beauty preference.
  • ice_vampire
    Great!
    I love it how your every take have a moral behind it.
    • Thanks for reading - I never really thought about having a moral in each one, it is just a thought process I have usually an extension of previous answers I have given here on GaG

• You are most welcome.
      I love your optimism.

• Keepcalm89
    Thank you for this article! I hope to read many more like this in the future! It was very comforting
  • JamesDylan1990
    Ever seen the twilight zone episode about this? It's good
    • Yes a guy left a video of it - I have a feeling that I have seen it before but I will check it out - Thanks for reading

• JudgmentDay
    I couldn't agree more with your entire mytake.
  • YourFutureEx
    You always come up with good points :)
    • Thank you - GaG inspires me, most of my takes are expanded forms of opinions I have given on other peoples' posts.

• Glad to hear that, keep it up :)

• HoneyButterCup525
    👍👍👍