The Loss of Innocence, and Why Our Parents and Leaders Must React

Sirino22

Have you ever climbed into bed before going to sleep and prayed that you don’t wake up the next day? Have you felt the pain of someone’s cruel comments cover your body like knives cutting you open? Have you stopped in the middle of your day and thought to yourself, “would anyone even notice if I wasn’t here right now?” This is the reality for some people and as hard as it is for adults to deal with, I believe it is even worse for kids and young adults.

I remember junior high and high school very clearly. I remember being an outsider, not being accepted, and even being bullied at times. It makes every day feel like the end is near. Like you would do anything just to make the hurt go away. Like no matter how hard you try to avoid the pain, those people and those torments always find their way back. I remember it all too clearly.

I’m going to share a story with you. When I was in 7th grade, I was a pretty care free 13 year old. I didn’t know of the evils the world would eventually have me encounter. I didn’t have many friends and I kept to myself.

One day I showed up to school expecting a normal day. As I passed the familiar faces in the hall, I notice everyone seems broken and lost. Some were even crying. I went to my first class of the day and it was dead silent. The teacher hadn’t entered the room yet. When the final bell rang for everyone to enter their classes, the intercom came on and it was our principal. With a crack in his voice, he reluctantly announced that one of the freshman girls had passed away the day before. She had committed suicide.

Students looked around waiting for other’s reactions and all I could think was, “what does suicide mean?” It was not a concept I had been taught and to this day, it breaks my heart to imagine the amount of pain a person must be in to take their own life. That day changed my perspective of the world forever. As days went on and months flew by, I began to realize how cruel people could be. I faced bullies and days when I felt invisible, and those where some of the toughest days of my life.

I have one thing that most people don’t have though. A large, close-knit family. Unfortunately, most kids don’t have that privilege. They face these struggles alone and it feels like the world is coming to an end. I remember asking for help and getting the typical answers, “Give it time,” or “Just keep your distance and they will leave you alone.” Adults don’t always understand because they may not realize the amount of pain that is being inflicted. In today’s world, our youth lose their innocence at such a young age that the agony they sometimes feel overpowers the good in the world.

As a future leader, I do my best everyday to help the young people who feel helpless or invisible. I understand because I was once in that place myself. I may not be able to do much right now, but even just lending a listening ear and being empathetic is all a person needs sometimes. Is there something you can do to help someone dealing with these problems?

4
4

Most Helpful Girl

• Anonymous
    This is very true.
    It seemed like I was a care free child. Always smiling, even when being bullied. I never cried about it in front of my family and friends. Deep down it really hurt, and I didn't feel loved, and sometimes I would cry when no one was around. For some reason had a lot of hate in me. I hated practically everyone, and everything, so it seemed. I was not ugly, or fat. There was practically nothing wrong with me. They just bullied me. It realized not to long ago that if I had killed myself then, would anyone miss me. I was full of so much hate as a little girl, that you won't even understand. I didn't show it. I would smile, and pretend like everything was ok, but it wasn't. I would go to school, and be laughing stock, but when I go to other places, everyone called me beautiful. They will tell my mother, wow your children are beautiful, and so well behaved, but I never felt that way. No matter how much I was called beautiful, well behaved gifted child, I still didn't feel like that. In my world it was just me my hatred towards other, and my fish (He eventually died during the winter). The first time I ever cried about that stuff in front of anyone, was when I hit puberty, and my hormones kicked in. It was weird, I felt embarrassed... lol
    I have changed. I laugh a lot now, and I try my best to make people laugh as well... lol
    I don't know how all the hatred suddenly left me, but I have changed. It pains me to see some of my friends go through the same things.
    I have had friends close to commuting suicide. That is why it is always good to watch what you say to other, because you never know you are killing them deep down inside. It hurts very much physically and mentally.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

• Waffles731
    This is a very good take.
    I've got major depressive disorder myself and know just how bad it is
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

33
  • FakeName123
    If you really want to help people then you have to teach them how to help themselves.

There are bullies and have ever been. And bullies are like animals who smell fear - they pick on the weakest. So if you want people to stop being bullied you have to teach them and make them understand why they are bullied in the first place.
    • This right here. Bullies pick on the weak because they ate cowards so if your weak you will be bullied.

• @Spermdumster666

Stop victim-blaming already ! Lol.

In all honesty though. There will always be bullies. Sure, there should be necessary steps taking against them. But that shouldn't prevent from teaching kids how to deal with bullies themselves and why they are getting bullied. Self-responsibility is a great thing.

• I agree completely and most bullies will have problems of their own.

• VomitV
    We've got earthquakes, hajis trying to create a world empire based on Islamism, a domestic government that's gone to shit, and you want to highlight weaklings mutilating themselves because someone called them a name.

Good work.
    • Sirino22

That's a little ignorant, don't you think? Our problems start as individuals. As individuals we create anger and violence or we can spread kindness and compassion. The way our parents or elders talk to us, the way our peers treat us, that all impacts the kind of person we develop into. To me, it sounds like you're one of the individuals that causes these problems. It's not about being called names. It's about people believe that they can belittle and torment us and we should just accept that because that's just how life is. Yes, we should develop a tough skin to deal with the critics, but to just accept that people are cruel is cowardly and unacceptable to me.

• Are you for real? What kind of empty, heartless human refuse do you have to be to criticize someone who brings up the problem of bullying and teen suicide and say they are "highlighting self-mutilating weaklings"? We don't live in some Hollywood movie where the bully is a big, misunderstood idiot who picks on the nerds for the glasses and gets his ass kicked at the end of the movie. Kids these days can be cruel, conniving vermin who target one person and work to ruin their lives. Bullying isn't limited to just the schoolyard any more, but is done through texts, e-mail, and social media. Bullies post horrible rumors online and sic entire gangs of their cohorts into harassing one person with awful statements, even encouraging them to commit suicide. Even parents have jumped on board and driving teens to ending their lives. And you think that it's just a problem of "mutilating weaklings"? You really have no soul.

• Darkone1

Seriously I don't find anything that has gone to shit, Silly chick
      Arabs are still the richest people in the world and their countries have crime rate near 0.1 to null and rape and divorce ratio to about 1%. Seriously you are from country that have 80% foreign investment and have 50% of almost every crime known to world. Seriously they have their own rules that are working cuz Your one is shit and stop trolling every one know this. Wait strong words from people (NATO) that just got their ass handed over to them by people (Afghans) that even don't know "How to use weapons?" until they saw them.

• TheDevilInside
    I'm sure I have written a take about the do's and don'ts when someone tells you they are depressed. Check out my earlier takes, it won't take you long cause I've only written a few takes
  • FallOutBoy2001
    ... The last picture is literally the most heartbreaking, because it' so true
  • Anonymous
    And to be expected centered around women.
    • Sirino22

It's not centered around women. It's a past experience for me. I understand that boys and girls get bullied just the same. I was just speaking from memories I have. The reason I even wrote this article was because of a story I read about a boy committing suicide.

• Anonymous
    What we need is better mental health care.

Some issues are caused by much more than adults not listening. You may have felt innocent at 13, but your poor friend may have had severe depression, or been molested by a relative or beat up, or the beginnings of bipolar disorder. Etc.

These things take professional help to really overcome. Good intentioned people may just not have what it takes - like asking a teacher to fix your car. The teacher may be very good at his or her job and listen nicely to your car troubles, but only a qualified mechanic can help you actually address them.

Sadly, mental health care in America is very inaccessible. It's very expensive and most insurance doesn't give it good coverage. Places to go can even be hard to find.

You sound like you have a warm heart - help guide your good intentions to make a difference!