Top 8 Negative Stereotypes About African-American Women

Twix005

Hey Gagers,

So I had a talk with my fiance and his family; my fiance is mixed half black. His mom is white and his dad is black, so we somehow came up with different kind of stereotypes. Then unfortunately we started talking about African American women stereotypes. It was very uncomfortable hearing what his mom and family had to say, and he was embarrassed. It started some conflict and I kind of felt they were being racist...but they where just expressing their opinions.

I asked for their honest opinions so I couldn't get too mad. It just bothers me that people think this about black women. Not all black women are the same, of course. Some people just generally think this of most black women. The majority of black women are just like any other women in America and I hate when people stereotype us black women...but this is the kind of world we live in. Here's a list of things that are often said:

1. Welfare Queens

People say we;re lazy, jobless and count on welfare benefits. First of all, this has nothing to do with race. People in general are just lazy and jobless and live in poverty. I see a lot of black women with careers and working there asses off, and iI'm one of them. Society thinks otherwise.

2. Overweight and out of shape

Most black women are thick, not out of shape. Being overweight has nothing to do with being a black women. All women come in all shapes and sizes.

3. Can't grow natural long hair.

Black women can grow their hair as long as they want, as you can see; if you don't take care of your hair and damage your hair then it won't grow at all. It will fall out. Most black women with short hair either cut their hair or its just really damaged to the point that it won't grow. All hair can grow long if you let it.

4. Darker vaginas...some say "purple"

I hear this one a lot. My Mexican friend a few years back asked me if this stereotype was true and I told her hell no. Not all black women's va jay jays are purple. They're pink too just like they are on any other woman. Some black women may appear darker but purple...?

5. Loud, Ghetto/Bad attitude.

Yes, some black women are ghetto and have no common sense and this is me when i see this behavior:

While most black women do have some sense, this also has nothing to do with race. Some people are raised in the ghetto and are just loud, period. I can catch an attitude at times and most women do; women can get really moody especially when that time of the month comes around lol.

6. Other races dating black women is a fetish.

They call this jungle fever...but no this is love. No fetish.

7. Have ghetto names.

Hahaha. Yeah, but not true and it's cause their ghetto mamma named them. I have a normal basic name " Erica" and most black women do have non-ghetto names.

8. Smell funny.

Yes some black women keep products in their hair like grease, which is really good for hair. so it might give out a smell that other races are not used to. My friend back in high school, she is white and she thought I smelled funny because of the grease i was using in my hair. I used grease because it made my hair very soft. She thought I smelled weird lol but I explained to to her that it was the grease in my hair, and why I had it in my hair. Then she totally understood. She later married a black men they had a daughter together and now she's also using the same grease I used in my hair for her daughter. Now she tells me she loves the smell lol.

So lets just say I looooove being a black women, and just being a woman overall. I hate these lame stereotypes. Any thoughts on this please comment.

Thanks for reading.

44
26

Most Helpful Girl

• RainbowFanGirl
    Cool take. 😍💗

These stereotypes are one of the reasons why we are considered the "least attractive race of women" and other negative connotations. The stuff that I hear about black women over the Internet is disgusting, and they make me feel bad about myself because I do not fit into the stereotype, and people assume that we are all like this when that is simply not the case. I was thinking about writing my own version. Let me go through each point:

1. I'm at the top of my class in my school and I plan on getting a higher education.

2. I eat healthy and workout 4 days a week.

3. Look at my profile picture. That is my REAL hair.

4. Um, mine is pink lmao. Makes me mad that people say we have beef vaginas. Not true at all for most.

5. I'm quiet and well-mannered according to my teachers.

6. Nope. This is just dumb and I hate people assume this. Maybe they actually love the woman for who they are? Why does it have to be a fetish?

7. My name is Mikayla. Far from ghetto.

8. I smell very good actually lol.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Guy83

Considered least attractive by one racist Japanese researcher.

Most Helpful Guy

• madhatters4
    stereotypes (whether positive or negative) are not good. it only perpetuates the notion that we can label people (individuals) by groups rather than understanding people as individuals.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

2543
  • Anonymous
    Some of these Sterotypes are true. Doesn't mean they apply to you individually but they are true. I see how you responded to some comments so let me say that I'm a White woman, I grew up in the city and have a number of Black female friends and family members.

Curious, you say that most black women have basic names. Well I don't know many black women under the age of 30 with common names. My 19 year old daughter goes to college and rooms with a girl named Hennessy (birth name) and she graduated with a Nivea (like the Lotion). Just saying.
  • Anonymous
    Just to add to #7, many "odd" sounding names are from different regions of the world based on different cultures or are from different religions. What some Americans think is "ghetto" may actually have a real meaning in another part of the world.
    • reixun

Ikr, it sucks that some people are getting defensive for having African names. European names aren't better.

• Anonymous
    • Guy83

Like you're anywhere near hot enough to have any opinion on this lol.

• Fgyyggg

What does this have to do with anything?

• reixun

Lmaoo that's hilarious though

• Anonymous
    Not worried about what white guys think. Most dont have a big enough penis for me
    • Library

but this white guy does 😉

• Anonymous

@Library lol you would have to prove it otherwise dont believe it!

• Who holds the world record i wonder? O now I remember it's a white guy!

• Anonymous
    I prefer white girls physical features anyway
  • Anonymous
    Yeah!! Number 5 isn't so cut and dry!! I know many black woman get told that there typical black woman and thats not always true. But most black girls I know ( and am friends with) are like this.

There's combative and confrontational. They do get loud and when arguing go for roasting and trying to personally attack rather than come to an understanding. A mutual agreement. This is just how it is.
    • JoyGirl

Is that so?

• Anonymous

@JoyGirl

It is so!! But like someone said below to disagree here is an automatic cause for attack from people who agree. But like someone else said, these stereotypes exist for a reason. They may not apply to all but they do apply to a large percentage. Not saying the majority, but a large percentage.

No rascism here I have black friends who are like family. But I do also know how they are. Some of them.

• JoyGirl

Huh...
      Yeah, whatever. 😒

• Anonymous
    Where there's smoke there's fire.
  • Anonymous
    Your take failed to dismiss anything. Fact is the majority of single mothers in America on Welfare are black and are more likely to be obese. And yes by in large they do have ignorant bad attitudes, I recently watched a documentary about Obama and how people dislike him and the black women were ignorant and just liked Obama because he was black and anyone who criticised him was either racist or an uncle Tom. Yes I agree there are many hard working career women that I would date in a second, personally I would choose to date an actual African woman as I have a hard time dealing with Black American women and their negative combative attitudes, its not just myself a white man who will tell you but many Black American men just can't deal with the negative attitude, hence all the single black mothers.
    • I'm sorry that bad experiences with black women have skewed your perception. Many black women are not like you say at all.

• @RainbowFanGirl Sir that is incorrect information. Most of the percentage of people on welfare are caucasian americans. Please check your facts and not create false ones based on stereotypes, negative experiences or bias. Please and Thank you.