India's Human Safaris; tell me who the real Savage is

Waffles731

This morning I learned of something that horrified and angered me. I thought this had gone away after public executions and the asylum tourism of the 19th century had gone away but apparently modern society still has Human Safaris.

On Andaman Island in the Bay of Bengal there is a reserve for the Jarawa Tribe of people. These are a tribe recognized by the government of India and the jungles have been their home ever since their ancestors came to the island for what is generally accepted to be several thousand years. Now after Contact not only with the British but the people of India in the early 19th century they are still living this tribal lifestyle. Now today there are bus tours that are explicitly for people who want to go on a human safari and I wish I could say that Human Safari tours of one kind or another were something new and likely to fade. They aren't, I just thought they were gone already.

Back in the late 19th century and early 20th century there was another kind of human safari and one just as despicable. In those days you would get people, usually upper class scumbags no wait, that's an insult to scumbags. You'd get these people who I have a hard time even calling them wastes of oxygen and resources as that seems to kind. They would pay money to go and tour Insane Asylums so that they could gawk at the patients. This reminds me of a quote by the Punk Icon Henry Rollins

The last public Execution in France was in 1939 and there is a freaking video of it and you know why most of the people who showed up did. Its not because they wanted to see justice. ITS BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT IT WAS FREAKING ENTERTAINING. Henry Rollins was wrong, that already happened and you know I never thought it would actually ever happen again, but after seeing that people will pay to go on human safaris. I'm not so sure.

What is really freaking Ironic is that while these people go on to gawk at the people they view as savages due to their lack of modern technology and tribal lifestyle. Its very clear who the real Savages are here and its not the Jarawans. Its the tourists, say what you will about the Jarawans but they don't go around paying large sums of money to go gawking at people they view as inferior and that is something a true Savage does. WE TREAT CONDEMNED CRIMINALS TO MORE FUCKING PRIVACY THAN THIS. To anyone who paid for this, do you have any sense of morals, of basic human decency, hell I'd settle for Standards which considering that in Prison child molesters are the lowest of the low, even Murderers can have standards.

3
17

Most Helpful Girl

• dragonfly6516
    The Hindi culture is beautiful and amazing; the Indian people however sometimes leave me wondering "where the hell is their humanity?" I mean no disrespect, but I have yet to have a pleasant experience with an Indian that wasn't being paid to wait on me.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Waffles731

A good chunk of them are actually westerners who come to do this.
      They also go to peru and Brazil

• Waffles731

Thats what to me is even more fucked up is people will travel half the world to gawk at people they think are lesser than them

• Waffles731

A neighbor of mine actually goes to india quite frequently for business.
      He's met some really good people, some real assholes too

Most Helpful Guy

• jacquesvol
    Dxcellent take! 👍
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

216
  • Kachatterjee
    When tsunami happened in 2004, not a single Jarawa died. They knew what was going to happen and took shelters at thw top of coconut trees. They have their own science.

Also, in India, there are many such tribes. Yes, there are people who consider them as savage, there are people who help them as well.

Jarawas are wonderful tribes.
    • Waffles731

Yeah, it was like that in the a 140 years ago or so

• Jackblue

There is no way of knowing if any Jarawas died. We don't know how many of them there are even, we only have estimates.

• @Jackblue sory, the government of India have been in touch with Jarawas. Do you know there are Jarawas who come down to the posts where Govt officials are there and communicatenwhen in distress? Please find out first.

• JRICHARDS1996
    This is disturbing to say in the least. Granted, such tribal people will always be an anomaly when the rest of the world has become so different. But even so, they are still people and entitled to their privacy. The only people who should be going to observe them are academics like scientists and anthropologists for the sake of research. Nobody should be gawking at them for entertainment alone.
    • Waffles731

the sad thing is that people come from all over the world to fucking pay for this

• For what it is worth, it is technically illegal. But due to notoriously bad beurocracy, the Indian government is often lax at enforcing the law.

• 

• Other_Tommy_Wiseau
    I think it's pretty interesting, actually. So, let's take out the zoo-like element of it. Certain tribes and cultures are devoid of technological and modern civilization interaction. There's a couple in the Amazon and a few in the sub Saharan desert as well. But they aren't just kept in captivity so much as they are protected from outside influences. But I think it's an interesting look on how these civilizations live and survive while maintaining minimal interaction between them and the outside world. While some see it as exploitation and some will do it with the exploitation of those humans in mind, I feel like others, like myself like to see it as a cultural view. Again, it's not them being held in captivity like a caged animal. I feel like that's where it gets lost. As for whether it's moral to do so, exploit outsiders for monetary gain and/or use the technology to view their world that they are incapable of even fathoming is another debate altogether and probably based moreso on the person's or persons' intent is another debate, I suppose. Like again, I would find it interesting while a few others would look at it to make some coin
  • vishna
    That's dangerous, they could sicken these isolated populations. Also, Indian officials are hypocrites because dolphins are protected as non-human persons, so they get special protection, but it's ok to gawk at actual humans like a lion. Ridiculous. These people should be left alone, if they want to reach out to the mainland, fine, but we shouldn't mess with them.
  • Phoenix98
    Honestly it would be better to never go to that island again and just leave those people to their lives. Plus a human safari is a stupid idea some of these tribal tribes around the world are legitimately dangerous. did you know there are still tribal cannibal tribes in the African forests?
  • dudegrt09
    I don't think it is a organized safari or something. That board is used outside of the jungle, which is a protected area to set the rules and warn the people who go inside, because disturbing the privacy of tribes is not allowed. Normally government makes best of efforts to secure the privacy of many tribes that are in India, whether it is Andaman and Nicobar, Lakshdeep, Chhattisgarh, or Orissa.
  • Jackblue
    Idolization of tribal society is what makes it so fascinating. People and their desire to preserve a way of life that should be gone. In 2006 the ocean pushed two Indian fishermen off course and they landed on North Sentinel island inhabited by a people similar to the Jarawas. The tribesmen ruthlessly butchered them. What did the Indian Government do about it? Not a thing, they want to preserve the lifestyle of the people. My opinion on how to stop human safaris is assimilate these people.
  • Blitzkrieger
    In some muslim countries public executions happen occasionally and there are many videos of it.
  • lumberman9
    Holy shit that's sad to see wow but that's a human problem in general every race has done and still does fucked up things
  • Blueeyes81
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WdgDqrPAZcE
    Here is a good vice news piece on the subject.
  • LiveFreeorDieHard
    Humanity died along time ago. All what is left is the people who survived after the chaos that was the Neolithic and agricultural age.
  • SlightlyCrazy
    Wow that's honeslty a surprise to me. That's damn disgusting
  • Thatguy269
    That's exactly why Indians get treated like shit in my country.
    • Thatguy269

@dudegrt09 LMFAO wtf are you talking about? Qatar in no way forces Indians to come invade our territory.

• dudegrt09

Get lost, hypocrite

• dudegrt09

Oh so you're a mussie, yeah your community and religion sucks big time

• ColinHarvey
    There's a human safari in America too, perhaps you've heard of Detroit?
  • iceEverestere
    I am indian. I didn't knew about this shit.
    • Waffles731

I heard its illegal, however no one is enforcing it on andaman island currently and people come from all over the world to pay for it and when you do crack down that leaves the currently operating tours in south america.

• I see. Indian Law enforcement should work strictly

• Anonymous
    What's wrong with freak shows? That's what Youtube is all about. Freaks.
  • Anonymous
    gotta love their caste system.
  • Anonymous
    I slept with a few indian guys. Wasn't impressed.
    • Waffles731

Okay, I like pizza,
      so now that the non-sequitur are out of the way,
      Why did you leave a comment?

• Anonymous

Thought it was about Indian guys undersized peeps.

• Red_Arrow

* face palm *

And another example of anon opinions being a bad idea.