I'm a GUY, and I HATE Catcalling Women!

I'm a GUY, and I HATE catcalling women!

While me and a friend were waiting at the bus stop, a beautiful girl about five or maybe ten years older (can't guess the age) than us was walking on the other side of the road. My friend elbowed me and said "watch this!" and began to whistle and make sounds. I told him to stop it because of two things: she's older than us and it may hurt her. But what he told next made me quiet angry, "bro, these are what guys of our age must do!". I was like "Really? @#$%^&! Guys don't do such things, but jerks would do."

As a teenager I too get sexual feelings and attractions toward women whether they're young or older than us, that's true, but I do my best to act decent and respect women. My eyes too flee on my crush's butt, but I wouldn't elbow the one next to me to give music to her movement - what the heck? I too see the beauty of a girl's body but, that doesn't mean I must turn myself to a pervert. I don't think catcalling is a thing which guys of our age must do to enjoy teenage, I hate jerks who say that kind of bullsh*t.

I'm not a male feminist or anyone like that, I just want to show people that girls too deserve respect just like us; they've got their right to walk freely anywhere. I wouldn't like my mum or sister getting cat called and that would burn my blood, so why should I do the same thing to another girl?

I've seen groups of street guys whistling, hooting, making faces and even snapping photos of women who pass by. Like they never thought one day she'll become a mother or she's wearing that tight dress to look after her children. Another day when I was walking with my cousin sister two guys gave her strong sexual looks which probably hurt her but pretended that she doesn't.

What I say is that real guys don't do such bullsh*t! Real guys are strong enough to act decent, talk politely and keep confidence. A guy doesn't need to hoot, shout, whistle or ask "how much for an hour?" to become a man. Men who do such crap are the ones who bring the bad identity to the whole community of men. Men deserve respect and so do women!

3059

Most Helpful Girl

• Wow, this headed in a different direction than I thought it would. I have to say, I'm very impressed. It's really a nice change of pace to see a guy who treats women the way he would his mother or sister. That said, I'm not one to lump guys into one general, vulgar category--the guys who do catcall women, and act outright crude to them, seems like a minority, but to actually read about a guy who holds women in such esteem--you're a good guy :)

Frankly, people who treat women like that are assholes. I'm not a feminist, I don't believe in the modern concept of feminism, but I do believe in treating people with some ounce of respect. While some girls take it as a compliment (don't get me wrong--commenting "Nice ass!" or similar to me isn't awful, I'll take it for what it's worth, the momentary satisfaction), the more vulgar stuff is downright awful. I'd love to give those who do it a swift back-of-the-head punch, just hard enough to knock some sense into them. It's a shame that some boys (won't even dignify them by saying men) believe that the way to be a man or earn women is to be rude to them. You're a man if you have morals, dignity, and respect for people, plain and simple.

But yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised by your myTake; it's quite the refreshing read. I wish more men were like you: willing to speak out against disrespectful conduct because it conflicts with what they believe in. Good day to you, sir :)

• "It's really a nice change of pace to see a guy who treats women the way he would his mother or sister. That said, I'm not one to lump guys into one general, vulgar category..."

Hmmm...

• @backdoorman Hey, listen. I don't have very great experiences with guys. I've met my unfortunate fair share of assholes. I know not every guy out there is going to be terrible, or be the type of asshole that I've come in contact with. However, in my own experiences as well I have met very few men who willingly admit to viewing women as mothers, sisters, daughters, etc. That's why it's refreshing for me. I don't think all men are awful; I'm just not used to seeing ones so upfront and dignified.

• I appreciate him too n i follow the same..

Most Helpful Guy

• yeah i despise catcalling. i think it paints guys in a bad light. is lazy and entirely unflattering

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 29

• I totally get what you're saying and you're completely right. Growing up with a lot of brothers who have had a lot friends I've had the chance to be around a lot of different guys & the respectful guys, they've been the ones who have ended up with the girls they wanted & worked hard for the kind of life they wanted. It seems some guys have had bad information or role models & haven't had the chance to see how much better respecting people turns out.

You don't sound like a male feminist to me, you sound like an equalist. It's the (newer) word for someone who believes in *equal* rights for everyone. But guys who are interested in that random girl on the street, have a lot more chance by starting a conversation with her, compared to no chance cat-calling her.

• I wouldn't know, I never been catcalled by guys around where I live. I guess I'm not attractive enough, but either way It probably wouldn't bother me to be honest. I probably be taken back by it if it were to happen, like wait.. guys actually notice me? I must of stepped my ass in a twilight zone. Honestly I would just brush it off, Like o you think my ass looks great in these jeans? Thanks, now I don't have to keep worrying about it. lol But honestly you got learn the difference between a catcall and a actually comment cause I see that a lot women don't know the difference. Like if you walk by a guy and he see a girl and says "hello, you're beautiful" that's comment and not something we should stick our noses up at cause that really does make up seem like a snobby bitch. Now if he says "hello beautiful, come back to my place to get fucked?" then yeah you can turn on your bitch mode if you want to.

• That is where the problem is. Cat calling even by saying a compliment shows that you don't respect a woman's personal space. You never know what she's okay with and what she's not. You never know what a boy is okay with and what he's not.

• @CubsterShura personal space? A compliment isn't disrespecting a womans personal space. Thats just stupid. I've been complimented before and my personal space wasn't invaded.

• This is exactly what I'm talking about. I have my personal space too. But how do you know that another girl is also okay with the same things as you? This is why I said it's unnecessary. There is a fine line between complimenting and calling, and because so many people have so many different opinions on where the fine line is, it's just better to avoid that area overall.

• It is really great to hear from a guy who still has a sense of chivalry.

• I think some guys don't get the difference between cat calling and compliments. They think that after they said something so crude, you should feel flattered by it. If you don't reply the way they want or you ignore them, they call you every name of the book sometimes. Definitely agree with you on this.

• I'm going to be honest here. As long as it wasn't graphic or vulgar, I would be flattered. I've never actually witnessed this though.

• It makes me shy but I don't feel upset if a man catcalls. It's kind of flattering and cute.

• Boy, I've had such bad cases of cat calling that I had to stop playing volleyball with my cousins.

Over here girls committing suicide because of being cat called isn't uncommon. Some parents literally make their daughters drop school and get married cause they think a husband can protect her from bring cat called.

No matter what people say or think, it's NEVER a good thing. You never know how much you're harming a woman by cat calling her. I was only 10 when boys started whistling at me.

• No one would whistle at a 10 year old, and oh man make them marry because of catcalling? Where are you from?

• Bangladesh. Believe it or not, cat calling is a major reason for child marriage here.

• Hard to believe it!

• Its good to see a guy who was raised right people should think if it were their mother, sister, or daughter getting yelled at like that and how much they would like it you know.

• I don't see anything wrong with perhaps whistling and beeping, but I hate it when men call out sexual thing eh. Nice tits, sit on my face. It's disgusting and you're right when you mention your monther or sister. That's somebody's daughter, too.

• Guys that catcall make me feel uncomfortable and unsafe. Im glad that you don't give into the peer pressure of joining in. Nice Take.

• Nice Take :)

• There's a reason why I usually wear extremely visible headphones when out walking. ^_^ Well, that, and I like listening to audiobooks and podcasts.

• I never liked it. In high school it was almost constant. Some of my friends would be like "their complimenting you" and it's like are you serious their being rude. Now some women like it and some dont. And I agree with you. You seem like a great guy and your girl will be lucky.

• I agree, nice Take. :)

• i personally find it so annoying like, im walking down the street i dont want guys commenting on my appearance and then whistling and calling me beautiful and so forth, yeah i like to be told im pretty and that guys like the way i dress but not just any old random stranger... if my brother said he though i was pretty id appreciate it and it would make my day but if im just walking down to the shop and random guys start calling me beautiful and talking shit like they love me and so forth i really get seriously pissed/ body conscious... they make me feel as if im some sort of passing dog...

not a feminist but seriously if you dont know me simply dont comment on me, dont call me from the other side of the street and say stupid things...

• it shouldn't bother you that much. When I get complimented by people I dont know I am actually grateful. Imagine being that girl or guy that gets no attention, most would love to be wanted by others. Those are the people I really feel bad for.

• I have nothing to say on this

• Love the second pic

• I don't have that problem anymore because I'm considered to be too old now.

• Oh stop it! Too old for who?

• It's okay I was 20 once.
      Now the only thing that matters is that my husband still finds me attractive. 👍

• Well, others do too... no doubt about it

• Agreed. Although I've never come up on this problem. Guess I don't qualify for cat calls. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

• Ever thought for your age other boys around your age would be too embarrassed? Lol I would never do anything like that, even if a 10 walked by (Im a extrovert)

• @CodySamphson Haha no I didn't think about that. Well, if a 10 doesn't get a catcall, I'm sure not to haha <3

• I have never met a man with manners who catcalls. It truly makes a bad impression and that's why I think women dislike it. I don't feel scared or unsafe when someone catcalls me. I feel just disgusted about the vulgarity of the person who catcalls.

• More from Girls
    9

What Guys Said 58

• Guys get catcalled as well but I know what you mean.

• yeah some nasty girls would catcall us, more often hooker type ones

• Haven't ever done it, no longer intend to anyway. I would only do it to a friend or a potential romantic interest as a joke.

• a friend would be okay but not for others

• Good on you man. This is something that bothers me as well. It's not seen as a compliment when you tell a woman she has nice tits. Sure if you're in a relationship with a girl and you're having sex you should compliment her on her body, but if you see a random girl you leave the impression that you're either approving of a negative character trait or condemning the kind of person she is based on how attractive she seems... Which is a bit ridiculous. When guys make sounds like a woman is giving them a strip tease... it's like, no you're not being a mature guy, you're being a child with no sense of responsibility, honor, or respect for others. You've portrayed yourself as the kind of person with whom no one wants to associate themselves.

• Great take! Unfortunately, I think guys are doing this so much, that women are starting to sink to that level as well. Not like I get a line of girls at my doorsteps (nor do I expect to) for blasting my roommate and telling him "dude stfu idiot" for catcalling and the like. Yet he could get 5-10 girl's numbers the next day. Easily could be the same girls I was defending too. That's very frustrating. I don't want women to be harassed, but if they get all over the harassers because they look hot or some shit, what more can I do?

• Only 12 year old brains cat call. Sadly, in the hood, many young ladies encourage cat calling by playing along.

If you think a woman is sexy as hell. Simply walk up to her and say, "Hi. I'm so and so. I just wanted to say that I really like your dress."

Then don't hit on her. Dont ask for her number. Simply smile and walk away. If you do that a woman will remember you and feel like a million dollars.

There is no compliment more powerful to a woman when it is given without an alterior motive or agenda.

I've told strangers I've liked their style, their eyes, their shoes and such. I simply smile. They look at you funny waiting for you to ask for their number or do something creepy. Then when you DONT do any of these things and walk away you can see the smile on their face because a guy gave them a genuine compliment without trying to get in their pants. You could even get risky depending on the woman and say, "You have really nice curves. I wish I had some." and then walk away. But that depends on the lady.

Idiot guys should stop cat calling and actually be mature enough to point blank compliment a woman.

• This whole piece sounds like it was written by a woman pretending to be a man.

If you are actually a man and you think and act like this you deserve to get punched.

Not for wanting to be polite, but for being such an overwhelming puss about it.

• People who spend a lot of time complaining about cat calling are either girls who are looking for a subtle way of talking about how hot they are, without looking like they are (humble brag) or they're guys who don't understand male/female interactions. Girls shout out to and whistle at guys all the time. Guys do the same to girls and a lot of the time the girls really like it, because of the ego boost. It's only online where you see this supposedly huge number of people who are put off by how these men "Disrespect" and "Degrade" women. Lol come on man.

I can't imagine a girl whistling at me and my response is to turn around and tell her, "don't be THAT girl" as I give her a look of disdain. That's just stupid.

• Let me add a third to that list.
      Girls who are humble bragging.
      Guys who don't know what the fuck is going on.
      And girls who don't get male attention, then go on to complain about other girls getting that attention. Or worse, acting as if they themselves do get that attention then pretend to hate the attention they don't even get.

• I just won't accept that this is only a problem when guys do it, but when girls do it that's completely okay or that men are DEEPLY offended by it when girls do it.

• I'm with you, man. I don't know what guys hope to accomplish by catcalling women. It's degrading and disrespectful to the woman. A guy who does that instantly lowers his value to women so he's SOL by hoping to impress her.

• Great myTake. I completely agree with you. The guys who do that kind of thing are lame and weak and just rude af.

• You're required to cat call women by the construction workers union.

• I hate this too.

Here in my country it's almost a obligation you be a "macho" and Catcalling/"do" all girls you can. I see no point in Catcalling. When i was 15yo i use to do that (okay ridiculous) but even worst is you see 18-60yo old man still doing this shit.

Fact #1 - BUT... have another side here too. When some (not all... some) Girl here is depressed and with low self-esteem she wear on a provocative dress, a cleavage and passes in front of a building under construction.

Fact #2 - I noticed (i can be wrong) only the girls let's say "not with too much beauty" don't care about...

• You are very mature for your age! I am proud of you, keep representing!

• Very good take - I never understood the need to catcall myself - You are right it disrespects women but also makes the guys look like prepubescent schoolboys who just discovered sex.

• In the UK, it is against the law as this is a sexist act.

www.louderwithcrowder.com/misogyny-hate-crime-uk/

• It should be pointed out that getting cat called isn't stopping anyone from freely walking anywhere in public.

I don't cat call, I never have, and in fact I don't think any of my friends has ever cat called in front of me before. And I get that it could be misconstrued as disrespectful, even though often times it's meant as a compliment.

But I do have to say this is the most petty thing to complain about, you'd have to live a completely sheltered life and be the most precious of snowflakes to care about it. It's blown completely out of proportion and the fact that it is so often just causes people to take it even less seriously.

It's basic human interaction, people have freedom of speech to say what they want, sometimes the things people say around you are not pleasant or respectful. It's not a big deal.

• Please write a Take about how you've never violently assaulted someone and how we should laud you for that, too.

• thank you for another dumb comment

• Catcalling is stupid and shameful

• We used to do it all the time. The girls did it to us as well. No hurt feelings. Fuck that admiring from a distance shite. Might as well paint lips on your thumb and forefinger and give it a girls name coz you ain't getting the real thing. You only get away with it when your in high school anyway, after that you better learn to be a bit less crass.

• I hate catcalling women too

• Ah well... another beta-chump white knight. Let us know how that works out for you in about ten years. :)

• I won't change my good attitudes even after I reach your age

• It means you haven't gotten there yet - you cannot even envision what it might be that you don't know about cuz you've never run up against it. And through no fault of your own, you're just a kid, so it's to be expected.
      But this is what adults laugh at that teenagers do - they get a whiff of what adulthood is about so they go off half-cocked about how they have everything all figured out when they just don't. And here you are spewing all this crap out on a public forum like you're some kind of expert. Pfft. You don't know anything about women - just what your little pea-brain has experienced thus far in your life which isn't jackshit.

• I saw you've mentioned about me as the little cookie in another 'catcalling" related myTake. Well, what I see through your words is that you've enjoyed catcalling and you see it as something guys must do, maybe at the age of 60 too. Yeah, of course I'm not an expert and I exactly don't know the much you know about women and that's possible, I'm a teen and you're an elder. But I speak of what I've experienced and not what I visualize that could be happening and put on the white knight kit and shout "ladies I'm there fa ya!". Maybe some little cookies taste bitter for you

• More from Guys
    38