Prostitution Should Be Legalized

No, I don't work in prostitution but i've been working on a documentary concerning it and that's why this take is being done. I find myself being on two sides of the field with this.

Prostitution Should Be Legalized

Why it should be legalized.

1. Protection

If a woman/man is raped while on the job they can't go and report it. It sounds weird when I say "on the job" but here's an example. One of the women I'd interviewed said she was told that she had a "job" with 1 man at his apartment. She goes there and while she's with him all of a sudden 2 men join and she tells the guy she was only told 1 guy, she doesn't do more than 1 guy at a time... long story short, she gets raped by all 3 men and she could not go and report it because 1) she'd get arrested for prostitution and 2) police would look down on her and say she was asking for it because she works as a prostitute.

2. Health care

In many countries you need a reason in order to get ARV's against STI's. In South Africa prostitution is illegal and it basically causes a lot of issues for these people when they go for health check ups .

3. Society

People suck. (pardon the pun) but need I say more? As a society we look down on people who work in prostitution and make fun of them, we use derogatory terms to define them and basically shame them for doing what they have to do to survive.

We need to learn as a society that lots of people who do this type of work need to do it in order to look after their families and keep themselves afloat. Life isn't all sunshine and rainbows. Be grateful for your blessings and basically just stop judging people for what they do- at the end of the day how does it affect you? What significant role in your life does it play?

Prostitution Should Be Legalized

An international study surveying prostitutes in nine countries, including the U.S., found that overwhelming numbers suffer serious violence, homelessness and trauma. Some 68 percent meet the standard for suffering post-traumatic stress disorder. Nearly 90 percent said they wanted out of prostitution, but had no other means of survival.

How can you say a person "didn't need" to become a prostitute in order to survive when you yourself complain about the number of homeless people in the country/world?

938

Most Helpful Guys

• 4d

Definitely, it should be legalized. Instead of spending money fighting nature, the government should be making money accepting it. I don't mean that government should be in the sex business, but collecting taxes and reducing disease and abuse.

• 3d

This is a problem I have - Liberals are against cocaine and other drugs and against prostitution... yet they support abortion. They are also anti-gun yet they support abortion. Guns kill about 20,000 people a year in the US. Abortion kills 1 million unborn babies a year. Doesn't make sense to me.

Most Helpful Girl

• 4d

Prostitution should be legalized and controlled because whether you make it legal or not it will ALWAYS be there, but when it is illegal there will be underage, helpless women and they remain in severe health and protection risk.

The only way to reduce prostitution is to actually take care of the women in a family instead of getting them in situations where they would have to choose this path to survive. Like when the breadwinner in a family dies and the girls in the family ask people in the neighborhood to help them (with finding jobs) but no one offers to help them or guide them. You tell me, where will they go then?

Many prostitutes say they could take other jobs if they wanted, and they should be given the chance of doing whatever they are capable of. In our country many organizations help these women like this by providing them training on tasks like sewing or computing so that they can at least have a decent way to earn money.

• 3d

Thanks for MHO!

• 2d

There are a lot of issues and flaws with your logic. Yes, I agree people should not be thrown in jail just because they were forced to have sex to get money for The Pimps, basically being sexually abused. I think that people who are forced into prostitution should get actual help in psychological help as well as recovery from trauma. However, it is horrible to say that human trafficking should be legal. As for the other side or people are doing a side gig by having sex for money there are a little bit of a tricky gray area around that. If it is simply there on consent and they are legally having sex with the legal age, then that would not be the problem however there are issues with STDs. STDs can happen just because of even one encounter. If there is constantly promiscuous encounters than STDs will spread like wildfire. and that is using science and logic as well as concern and empathy for survivers of sexual abused and respect for women. and people should stay away from being hip

• 1d

Trafficking should absolutely go away. And it only will when prostitution will be regulated.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 36

• 6d

Well, its the worlds oldest profession. While ill agree with legalization I can't help but picture the hilarious law suits that would pop up. While the porn insustry is the closest that exist to the idea system to implement this, it begs the question how large of an industry would it be. There are the legal brothels in Nevada which could be used as a foundation but still, the concept would be nothing short of amusing to see.

• 6d

i would actually want to see that lawsuit on the news. "young men nationwide protest to see titties!"

• 6d

I disagree. It should stay illegal. To legalise it would be to encourage it, and it should be discouraged because it's obviously not healthy. You say they're just doing what they have to in order to survive - most people manage to survive without being paid to suck random guys' dicks - they get jobs.

You say "how does it affect you?". This is the same argument used for many things, including for example the legalisation of drugs. The collective health of society as a whole affects everybody.

If I have a daughter, not that I think I'd do such a terrible job raising her that she'd have to resort to selling her body to filthy scumbags or that she'd be stupid enough or damaged enough to take drugs, would I want her to have those options and see them as being acceptable? Of course not.

• 6d

i agree with your point. i also agree with legalisin it however because in the bigger picture we as a society need to teach our youth about the implications of what they do... that prostitution isn't their only choice.

however you mentioned how they can get other jobs. im a student ye, and every December and during long af 2 month breaks we get through out the year i always search for jobs just cause i either need to upgrade equipment or whatever...

as a student, someone who finished high school with distinctions all round, its hard to get a job, the requirements for so many of these jobs are batshit crazy.

add the millions of other people looking for jobs, those who did and those who didn't finish their education. employment is bieng lucky basically... not everyone finds a job so easily.. and it could mean months for you and if you have a family on the streets with close to nothing to eat.

• 5d

"most people manage to survive without being paid to suck random guys' dicks - they get jobs. "
      Once upon a time, I thought a number of acts between consenting adults were disgusting, immoral, and should be illegal. Top of the list was gay sex, but also sex before marriage and prostitution of course. Then I moved out of the Bible belt. I held on to the anti-prostitution idea for a while. It changed when I met a girl, not much younger than I was, about 20. She was a prostitute to pay for college. If she didn't go to college, she would live in absolute poverty for the rest of her life. I mean a literal shack with no plumbing. In today's dollars, she could earn about $5/day. An average studio apartment would cost about $270/mo. Minimum food would be about $1/day. Transportation could be anywhere from 50c to $2/day. If she had a college degree, she could easily earn $400 to $600/mo. What would you do?

• 5d

It is not just hypothetical. I dated a girl for a while who was living in such a shack. It was in the city, but they had to use an outhouse shared by other families. She was lucky enough to have an aunt pay for her college, although that didn't include books; she had to use the library's. Her typical college lunch was a cup of rice with a little fat dripping on it. When there was a school function, she had to borrow clothes from her classmates. Growing up, she cut the toes out of her shoes as she grew. She said there was a point where if someone had asked her to have sex for money, she would have accepted.

I stayed in touch with her. She made over $130,000 the year before last year and now owns over 100 pairs of shoes.

What would her life had been like without her aunt? How else could she have gone from nothing to well off?

• 6d

Legalizing it everywhere just makes it that much harder to track down traffickers, abductors, drug dealers, and other undesirables. Yeah, it must suck having to go to jail for degrading your own body and exposing others to filth and disease. However, putting up with it means doing your part to help cops track down the real bad guys - including the ones that hurt kids!

• 5d

It's a complex issue. Look at Venezuela. So many women are camming, probably because the economy is shot. Hard to know what's the right answer. There was a documentary on TV about a prostitute who was basically used up. You could just see that... she looked like a corpse. She had gone through all this pain, and no one had ever helped her, just all used her. On the other hand, many "regular" jobs are totally shit, and some people do seem to choose the sex industry.

• 6d

1. You are right, prostitution should be legalized so that prostitutes will be (better) protected by the law just like any other citizen.
    2. Homelessness should be tackled by the government. It's a bad thing if people are forced into prostitution because of a bad economic situation.

• 6d

Um... No. Prostitutes carry all kinds of STDs. Making it legal would just spread them around MUCH further. Besides, despite what anyone says, nobody is FORCED to work in prostitution. Homeless or not, it's a choice. Plus, selling your body is about as scummy and nasty as it gets. It should stay illegal.

• 6d

People carry all kinds of STD's. Just because they make prostitution legal doesn't mean you have to engage in it. Smoking is legal, I still don't do it. And if you legalize prostitution you can subject the workers to the same sort of provisions that exist in the porn industry a la regular STD checks.

• 5d

@coralee You forget that there are probably more people who would engage in using prostitutes but are too scared of being caught and the following legal repercussions. Remove that, and that inhibition is gone. Also, "workers" is not what I'd call it. I don't consider porn stars and prostitutes any different. Selling your body is as low as it gets. Until you quit, you lose all respect from me when you do that.

• 5d

Considering the sheer size of the the human sex trade I'd say the legality of it isn't what is stopping people from engaging. Millions of people hire prostitutes every day, the people who aren't engaging due to fear of being arrested are the people who probably still won't engage due to social stigma. Lots of immoral behaviour is legal. I could care less for people who hire prostitutes my main concern is the people being sex-trafficked and legalizing prostitution is the best way to ensure their safety.

• 5d

It is the oldest profession in the world. Legalise it, regulate it and tax the profits. Use the money generated to protect those women or men who choose to engage in this profession. Legalised prostitution will reduce sex trafficking and put pimps out of business.

• 6d

Prostitution is the exchange of sex for money. Basically, it's a business transaction between two people. It's only illegal because the government would have to implement a way to tax and regulate the profession.

I understand there are moral reasons why you wouldn't want to legalize prostitution. But from what I can tell, America is beyond that point of return already. So we might as well let people do what they want.

• 6d

I saw a documentary about how HUGE human trafficking is and that making it legal would result in even more people becoming a victim to trafficking.

If someone is being forced into it I have pity on them. If they choose this themselves, I couldn't care less about them. Screw all of the healthcare and "no stigma" crap. They and their "John's" are the scum of society.

No, illegal.

• 6d

yeah but like doesn't that bring up the question how do you know whose been trafficked and whose willingly working?

• 6d

This documentary gave pretty compelling arguments and evidence of the exact opposite.

• 6d

you won't even source your little shitty documentary. but you are right it won't decrease trafficking but it will increase the quality of life for sex workers in the industry regardless.

• 2d

Prostitution has not gone away by criminalizing it so obviously that is not working
    Legalizing allows for opportunities to regulate it and tax it and that is really just better for everyone
    If it is a legitimate profession it takes it out of the hands criminal organisations and that would do a lot to curtail things like human trafficking
    So yes legalize it

• 6d

If two adults have sex for free it is legal.
    If two adults have sex and take pictures/video, it is legal.
    If two adults have sex and money is involved, it is illegal.
    If two adults have sex and money is involved and they take pictures/video, it is legal.
    If one or both parties is 17 and have sex for free, it may or may not be illegal.
    If one or both parties is 17, have sex for free or with money involved, and take pictures/video, it is illegal.

That makes no sense, but that is the way it is.

• 6d

Agreed, I think In America it’s a priority of government and religion to encourage this type of morality when it comes to these issues but deep down it’s because the idea of a “moral man” is profitable. Men buying houses, cars, wedding rings, paying child support etc. The economy would be a lot different if most guys had nice jobs, just lived in one bedroom apartments and banged hot hookers whenever sex was convenient for them 😂😂😂

• 6d

I don't agree. Prostituting should be illegal. It destroys almost all living families because of one lazy fucking girl livelihood. I don't think all families should be affected for one livelihood.

• 5d

The prostitutes I have met and talked to tend to all be sluts to begin with, but they decided to make money at it in order to pay for their college, pay for the college or medical care of a family member, pay for the living expenses of their kid, or pay for the lifestyle they wish to live. These girls are not lazy.

Sure, there are plenty who are just drug addicts who are already lost. I just don't go where drug addicts are.

• 5d

"College fee - you will get scholarships if you study well."
      Nope. Not available to everyone everywhere.

"lazy to avoid work. "
      You obviously don't know any prostitutes, and I don't mean the addicts. It isn't lazy when you can make $100 a day vs. $5 a day.

• 5d

@WalterRadio it is lazy when you prefer to steal money rather than to study.
      I probably don't know about any institution which discourage an intellect student.

• 3d

I don't see the point, because like James Taylor says "A prostitute is just like any other woman, they all trade something for sex and they do it well."
    I've never met a woman who gave it away for free, so it's already legal.

• 5d

Why it shouldn't be legalized:
    1. Catering to vermin is not a good service to society.
    2. It is a regulations nightmare that would quickly become an economic burden.

• 5d

Where do you get this "catering to vermin"? Few people would call JFK vermin, and used prostitutes all the time.

• 5d

@WalterRadio The ones who shot him in the head surely thought he was a vermin, though.

• 5d

A lot of women these days are basically free prostitutes

• 3d

It's certainly more honest than a lot of other jobs.

• 6d

It should be legal and it is legal in many countries as long as it is confined to registered brothels. As far as I know street prostitution is still illegal almost everywhere in the world.

• 6d

Legal, safer that way and we need to stop making things illegal. Illegal means authoritarian and authoritarian is terrible

• 6d

No, prostitution is morally degrading for the parties involved.

• More from Guys
    16

What Girls Said 8

• 2d

It's interesting that most of the sex workers I've met have not done so to survive but because they found it "empowering". There are plenty of women and men who do this who have even college degrees/educations, but choose this line of work. I don't see any dignity in it. In a Western country like ours, this is not an issue of necessity but the sign of a frivolous and decadent society.

• 5d

Yes, let's legalize the downfall and destruction if civilization even more!

• 5d

If consenting adults can have sex for free, or more usually, in exchange for dinner and a movie, then why not for cash?

The most expensive prostitutes are called wives. They want half of everything a man has for the sex she gave.

• 5d

@WalterRadio dude you do realise only in movies is it that you see court cases where women are suing for everything. currently, in the society and age we're living in women don't want any of the shit a man has , a lot of the time its the men trying to steal the woman's money in courts.

• 5d

"only in movies is it that you see court cases where women are suing for everything"
      I have a lot more friends and acquaintances who have had a divorce than you have. The general rule of thumb is: Wife gets 1/3rd, Husband gets 1/3rd, Lawyers get 1/3rd. Then the husband still has to pay the wife alimony and/or child support.

One of my friends ended up paying his ex wife what came out to be $30,000 for every time they had sex. Ouch.

• 6d

Your first point is the most compelling argument for legalization. I agree with all of them obviously but that one is the most important. Making prostitution a crime only hurts the prostitutes. I'm against human sex trafficking not adult women making a choice (I might not understand it but they have the right to do it. Their body their choice). Making prostitution illegal hurts the victims of human trafficking the most. People aren't going to seek help if they are scared they are going to be arrested for what someone made them do.

• 6d

i think you are right and brave to say it coz people start talking against who ever gives some supports to girls from this job
    i think we should appreciate them coz at least they are doing something to live their life instead of becoming a burden on other tax payers and everybody likes to have them but also criticize them and thats simply double standards.
    it would be great to give protection and legalizing it
    it would solve a lot of problems these girls are facing in this industry
    plus it would help reduce numbers of those girls who are put in this forcefully

• 5d

I think that instead of legalizing it , we should get homeless people simple jobs like janitors , housekeeping and such. If we legalize the profession STD’s will increase and families will fall apart.

• 4d

My theory is that government regulation would decrease std's.

• 4d

If prostitutes had to be screened for std's pretty frequently in order for their prostitute id to be valid or something. Then clients would just avoid people who don't have a valid prostitute id. Something like that.
      Also if clients who were diagnosed with std's weren't allowed to purchase the services of one who doesn't have the same std.

• 4d

It's legal in Sweden

• 5d

But it is more than sex...

• 6d

Even if it’s legal, I hate normalizing men feeling entitled to sex just for existing. It is sick that they enjoy and think they deserve sex with people who aren’t attracted to them and don’t want it. Condoning this really grosses me out.

• 6d

"deserve sex with people who aren't attracted to them and don't want it"
      ?
      Not only are you blatantly demonizing perfectly innocent males for having normal, healthy sex drives, you also seem to be implying prostitutes are victims even if they're doing the job of their own volition. Don't you think that's a bit silly? Considering prostitutes could just simply not do it if they don't like it. You don't see me doing jobs I don't like.

• 5d

They pretend so guys feel better about themselves, duh. It’s basic marketing. Fuck a pro, but don’t pat yourself on the back for being a stud.

• 4d

Yeah, no. That sounds far-fetched.
      Guess I'll just conclude that you're worried about prostitutes stealing all the guys. Lol.