Prostitution Legalization: It's Time

Prostitution Legalization: It's Time

Yes, I'm here to discuss the world's oldest profession, though I'm not about to get into the history of it. However, especially here in the U.S., we've always seemed to have this stigma about sex, even though we know it sells, and it sells hard. There are several reasons that the United States needs to stop pretending we're some puritanical society, and make a change that will actually have real-world effects: legalizing prostitution.

Let me be clear: I'm not talking about street prostitution. I do think that needs some level of regulation, if not outright banned. Without oversight, street prostitution is often underage and under protected women. Human trafficking thrives on secretive red-light districts. Diseases spread, and people and law enforcement die every year, either partaking in or trying to enforce these antiquated laws.

Prostitution Legalization: It's Time

So what's the solution, you ask? Weren't you paying attention? Legal prostitution is the answer, but here's how we make it effective. Make it government sanctioned with common-sense, and maybe even a few complicated, laws. We can restrict it to 18 or 21; require both customer and provider to have frequent STD testing; require/encourage the same to utilize protecting and contraceptives; have a much safer working environment for the working girl/guy.

Now, what could we gain from this? A lot. The first bargaining chip we can bring to the table of the old, stuffy lawmakers who like to pretend they are in it to protect their constituents: money. Yes, like Colorado and Washington has learned with marijuana, it brings in the tax dollars. Millions could be raised. Personally, I wouldn't doubt that the sex and drug industry could take in billions for healthcare or education costs alone, or that crumbling infrastructure we keep hearing about. This kind of reform could change lives.

It would take most women and children off the streets in larger numbers than any human trafficking effort right now. Yea, there would still be some creeps out there looking for helpless children, and most certainly there would be women seeking themselves on fine black market at cheaper prices because of various reasons (maybe they couldn't meet a brothel health code), and maybe it would place these people in even darker holes to hide than before, but no system is perfect.

By and large, I believe prostitution needs to be legalized. I seriously doubt it will happen in my lifetime, but its time is coming. Once people stop pretending that there is some moral superiority between a waitress and a stripper, or model and a call-girl, we can begin the progress that can really change lives.

1841

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 18

• You are disgusting, make your mother, sister, wife and daughter prostitutes and live off their money. After all, women don't respect themselves nowadays and think they were made just to be sex objects for strangers. Strange how people are reluctant to get married at a young age but can be prostitutes at 18, can have one night stands and casual sex at the age of 18.
    Funny how people can't have an arranged marriage but are happy to have friends, websites, and strangers recommending them whores.

"Boys and girls want attention, women and men demand respect."

“Girls are like apples... the best ones are at the top of the trees. The boys don't want to reach for the good ones because they are afraid of falling and getting hurt. Instead, they just get the rotten apples that are on the ground that aren't as good, but easy. So the apples at the top think there is something wrong with them, when, in reality, they are amazing. They just have to wait for the right boy to come along, the one who's brave enough to climb all the way to the top of the tree...”

So many people are illegitimate, adulterers and they only adultresses not virgins or respectable women.

Men go for women who don't respect themselves, go for rotten apples, whores, sluts, and hoes can't believe people try to make something immoral and disgusting sound professional.

• I respect your opinion, however, I disagree. I'm not talking about forcing women into these roles, I'm talking about full-grown women making their own choices. You're making an assumption that no woman would choose this line of work if they had respect for themselves.

• I agree. There are a lot of girls under 18 that are forced to be in the prostitution, by loverboys. They really think that he like her and manipulate her with a ''relationship''. Most of the prostitution is MANIPULATED. If they don't do it, than he wants to harm her friends or family. Thats why they say they want to do it. They are brainwashed by their pimp. There is nothing romantic about a whore. And don't you'd be angry if your sister was used and beaten up by those people?

Girls think love the same as sex. But mostly that not true. They don't have a right view of what real love is.

• @Aaron-1992 that's why you regulate it. Make 21'minimum age for the legality. Like with the porn industry, they need absolute proof of your age, and even if they lose the record, they're in deep shit until they find it.

• I wouldn't be so sure it won't happen in your life time. Legalization of gay marriage and marihuana happened/are happening very suddenly too in the US.

• Yea, but it isn't really a hot topic right now. Get marriage has been a hot topic issue since at last the mid 90s. Aside from "Whores for Hillary", I haven't heard much about it elsewhere.

• no we have to draw the line somewhere.

• @Stalin69 You are the perfect example of what's wrong with this world. I genuinely hope you never have kids.

• The only people the criminalization of prostitution hurts is the prostitutes. I have no qualms with people seeking a prostitute from ethical places a la the Bunny Ranch those are adult women who made a choice. I do have a problem with human sex trafficking but again the criminalization of prostitution only hurts the victims. People aren't going to seek help if their terrified their going to be arrested.

• I actually support legalizing and REGULATING prostitution. It has to be maintained very well to avoid any kind of exploitation or trafficking. And also beware of young girls made grown up with growth hormones.

• I agree. Regulation is the only way to keep it clean and safe for everyone involved. Of course, no system is ever perfect, but I think it's better than what we have now. It's like when they tried to prohibit alcohol in the 20s. All that did was line the pockets of criminals and smugglers. The same is true with prostitution.

• True. Prostitution IS legal here and somewhat regulated, but the corrupt government that we have... nope. So much illegal stuff happening and we can't do a thing about it.

• That is too bad.

• People think of themselves, a lot you can do. When we think of others we need to protect others a lot we can not do. One is called therefor selfish and the other one social. Social has become a bad name but is good. Selfish is do good for your self and others have to live with that who do not like that. That is for perverse and there are many but not all. So we must split the land into two pieces. Then the problem is solved. And I for sure move to America.

• I agree with you. Those girls are working for living like so many. Need society and legal to recognize them 👍

• they do recognize them

• yea we recognize that thier whores when we find their cum stained bodies in the dumpster with their faces, fingers, teeth and tongues removed to prevent identification we do recognize that and its a shame but in the cases when one chooses this path i have no empathy at all and it was better they just die and rot then continue to be used as a cum stump by future clients. fuck em. the fact your a name speaks so high of who you are is amazingly accurate because you are truly a fucking girl, any self respecting woman wouldn't ever dream of selling her pussy for cash wow i can't believe im a year younger then you.

• that was more graphic than anything i'd say-but it's unfortunately true-everyday they're alive-is a day they need to get out of that life

• I think prostitution is looked at as dirty women etc. I think something needs to happen to make change that thought.
    I would probably hire a young women to experiment with me and just have fun. But again it’s the dirty aspect of it, not knowing who they are etc

• I'm not sure about legalizing prostitution.
    Prostitution is already legal in my country and we get a lot of hate from our neighbors for it.

• They're just jealous and which country is that?

• In germany they got brothels or bordels for that. It's legal too I think. But supervised.

• It is legal, but there is still a problem with sex trafficing.

• What a troll😂

• I agree..

• I think it too... legalize them.

• I dont know why its illegal in the first place

• Good take!

• In this sexually repressed country? NOT!

• It's a sad business. I don't know if I want to live in a world where that's legal. It'll probably normalize prostitution and a lot of women who would normally dabble in it may. Please don't pretend this would be progress or that it would change lives for the better.

• Men are so gross that they enjoy sex with people who don’t want them.

• I don't agree.

• You're welcome to your opinion, it might be right or wrong, but I'd love to hear why you disagree.

What Guys Said 41

• Bring back the Personals section to Craigslist!

Do i support the behavior or the career path sex workers have chosen as a source of income? No. Should I or anyone be able to regulate or illegalize the actions and decisions made by two (or more) individuals who voluntarily and consensually agreed to? No! How does one have the right or even manage to prevent people from having sex? They can't. It's not possible and it should not be.

If a man goes to a bar and buts a girl some drinks or is asked by a girl to buy her some drinks and they have sex later as a large portion of these encounters do, then how is that different from prostitution? You are paying for a woman who you are now engaging in a casual sex act with.
    If I meet a girl at the library today and we start talking about books, this leads to erotic literature which leads to us deciding to act out that literature at her place, I pay for the gas that she used to take us home. Is that now illegal? How would you even be able to make such an interaction illegal? You can't regulate peoples sex life and their decisions.

Why are domination clubs, stripper bars and porn not illegal businesses? I'll tell you why. They are making money that goes to the government. Consenting adults deciding to meet for sex is tax free and doesn't have government intervention.
    Amsterdam has actual sex shops where women have sex for money. They are legitimate businesses. Rape and violent crime there has dropped exponentially.

Regardless of whether I support or agree with the behavior or the career choice, people should be able to make decisions for themselves and with others as long as the actions don't negatively affect other people's basic rights.

• meh. couldn't care less to be honest. it's legal here and i guess it's fine for the reasons you mentioned (it being legal regulates it and takes the dark criminal stuff out of it). i still disagree with people fucking for money. it's their life though not mine, so not my problem.

• The reason it's illegal is because the average person can't be trusted to be responsible or fair. Women WILL be abused and taken advantage of. It will also increase the number of rape cases.
    The average citizen is a selfish, stupid and compulsive person.

• That's why you do it on a registered, controlled environment, like the favours Bunny Ranch. Sure, some will all get hurt, but it would put women in a way better position. The take cases will potentially lower.

• Cool, now show me how you are going to regulate the druggy whores who chose their career path specifically because it is easy money and currently are happily performing their jobs illegally.
    These aren't exactly the kind of people who are eager to line up to pay taxes and legitimize their business.

Regulation has always been the number one problem with prostitution, that is why it is illegal while something like porn isn't.

• I don't get how regulation is the "number one problem" in any stretch of the imagination. I think the problems that proceed with regulation (which there is no regulation in something that is almost completely illegal in the US) are human trafficking, drugs (as you mention), and violence.

Also, porn is very regulated. If it wasn't, you'd have people making it anyway, except without oversight requiring medical examinations, and proper age-restrictive requirements to protect children. Not bulletproof, but its there.

But to answer your question about regulating: Unless you're in a registered brothel, you're committing a crime. Like soliciting services where it's not wanted, or allowed by law. Just like any other law, you enforce through penalties. Because, as I already mentioned, there will be those who don't follow the rules, and they risk fines and jail time, not to mention the other risks of unprotected illegal activities.

• Agreed. Prohibition doesn't work, all it does is feed organized crime and all the suffering that accompanies it.

Harm reduction should be the focus and that requires legalization and the changing peoples perceptions.

• this is never gonna happen. there is a difference between waitress and a stripper, or model and a call-girl

• Aside from job reschedule, there is zero. They're human beings making a living.

• @Stalin69 she was strong-the girl I loved reminds me of her-including in the temper department.

• mhmh i see

• Escorts were my outlet. Now the government shut down backpage and Craigslist Personals.

I wasn't born a great man, so I became one.

I did excellent in school and outside of school to earn my great mind, played sports and exercised to earn my great body.

Developed a great personality brimming with charm, wit, and humor. Learned to play the guitar and speak 3 languages.

Applied myself in the workforce to earn $60k/year. Managed my finances responsibly and earned my own place and vehicles.

I've been told by several people that I'm 8+ in the looks department.

Yet NO women have ever shown ANY interest in me. And men risk jail/prison time and losing everything they have earned FOR EVEN ATTEMPTING to have a relationship with any woman!

I would LOVE the opportunity to approach women and show them a good time WITHOUT RISKING PRISON!!! But since I CAN'T and haven't been allowed to for 10 YEARS! This extreme hatred has built up inside me that I have so far kept hidden.

Ecorts, prostitutes, call girls, they were my way of getting my sexual needs met.

And you took that away from me. 😠

• Prostitution should be decriminalized, regulated, licensed and taxed. In order to partition or from the criminal underworld, there should be random inspections and those operating in an unlicensed criminal underground should be prosecuted equally... provider and recipient. Especially where human trafficking is involved.

• Isn't the porn industry pretty much legal prostitution?

• Two people getting paid to have sex with other people. It certainly has parallels. It is confusing how that is legal, but not the other, but make no mistake; the same people who keep prostitution at arm's length legally would shut down the porn industry in a heartbeat if they could.

• No point in outlawing what can't be outlawed. It doesn't matter how hard you try or how many people you arrest, prostitution will always be a thing. People who refuse to accept that are morons.

• Unfortunately, pedophilia will be legalized before pussy can be sold on the open market.

• This sounds great on paper. The thing is in practice it's way too much to regulate and ensure the rights of the people at hand whilst ensuring the legality of it all. The behind the scenes would more or less boast a great deal of illegal activity even if this was made legal to some extent. It is much simpler for this to remain a one night stand then to allow something like this. It's also something easily looked down on in our current age by most of society so it would make the government look bad to some degree.

• Agree , it WILL always go on , so why not legalise and sanitise it , this removes the pimps that make prostitutes lives hell too.

• Sorry, I've never discussed this before; could you please explain for me what prostitution is exactly?

• It's when someone gives sexual favours in exchange for money.

• That's not legal? Wow, nobody listens to that law. It's not working anyways, just take it down.

• Each state is different. In some states it's illegal to be the prostitute (the person selling him or herself), or it's illegal to be the one exchanging money. Some can be both.

• I think sexbots will come before the discussion can go further. And no, those bots are not and they never be human so please forget those movies or TV where they become sentient

• Prostitution is a job like every other job. Sex work is work.

Still people likes to criminalize it for no reasons. Maybe to keep the poor people in check. If you are rich you wouldn't care that much. I mean if I was rich then I would "grab her by the pussy!" - just like rich old Trump.

I mean if you visit an escort and talk to her and she tells you that she was forced into this then do you report that to the police or keep your silence?

If what you do is illegal then you would shut up, see no evil, hear no evil. You just lose when you try to be a good guy.

Germany is doing great with it's legalized prostitution. Even Japan is doing fine. Only countries that outlaw prostitution that is having the problem.

• Disagree. I had a relative that was an escort. I wouldn't wish that on anyone I didn't hate.

• It is high time to legalize prostitution. I'm not big on taxation, but as per the 10th Amendment, (states' rights) states can legalize and tax it. As per the 9th Amendment, no prostitute or john should be locked up in a cage if it is between consenting adults. It is all about why states lock people up when there is no victim. A loaded gun in my pocket should be my business if it is for self-defense. A kilo of weed in my home should be my concern only so long as I am high at home. Hell I don't even use it, but I might want to someday.

• It's easier said than done and not knocking down religion and most Christians; who go to Church, but they are the ones; will probably lobby against it, because they go, by the bible and believe that you shouldn't be a Prostitute in the first place; even though there was a Prostitute in the bible; who spoke with Jesus; Mary Magdalene. That story is for another post on here. Anyway, it is believe that society wants you to pay for sex, but you can't sell it. You have to go to the work of getting it, not easy either. In Church, you wait on your wife. Which I don't think is everyone's plan. Legalizing it will help, to prevent crimes.

• You know, a lot of people seem to feel they are above people who work in the sex industry, but personally, I think they are jealous. I wish I could just wave my dick around and get paid. I wish someone would pay me to fuck me, or even just to have me do things for them they wouldn't normally get. Like you said, if it's done in the right way, it would have many benefits. It won't eliminate all the problems that comes with it, but it would be a step in the right direction. Not to mention, why is it the government can tell a grown man or woman what they can do with their bodies. I find it sad in this day and age we still have people in power that want competely control of our lives.

• right lets have future generations grow up in a nation where we condone women and men selling their bodies for anything let alone material values like money, i swear what the hells next whats the next argument for ''sexual liberation'' where do we draw the line.

• More from Guys
    21