5 Common Forms of Sexism That Men Face

1. We are told we can’t be raped.

A lot of people, specifically girls, believe that a female can’t rape a man. Why? Because he has to have a boner in order to have sex. Some would even say that if a man has a boner, he isn’t being raped. This is just plain wrong. It is the same as saying that if a girl is wet during rape, then automatically it isn’t rape. See how stupid that sounds?

5 Common Forms of Sexism That Men Face

2. Women can hit us and get away with it.

If I slap my girlfriend because she cheated on me, then I am an abusive and terrible person. I agree with this. But if a girl hits her boyfriend because he cheated on her, she is a strong independent woman that doesn’t take shit from anyone.

3. That we are ‘lucky’ to be raped.

If a 15 year old boy has sex with his 30 year old teacher, his peers will say that he is lucky. But if a 15 year old girl has sex with her 30 year old teacher, she was raped.

4. We are told to suppress our feelings.

If my dog just died, and I am sad about it, I am told that I’m a pussy and that I should get over it. But, if a girl’s horse just died, then there will be 30+ guys standing in line waiting to cheer her up.

5 Common Forms of Sexism That Men Face

5. We are told we can’t have preferences.

On dating sites, it is perfectly fine that girls do not want to date guys under 6 foot. But we are sexist and evil if we say that we don’t want to date girls that are above 250 pounds. Hell, if I reject a girl because she is too fat, I am shallow. If a girl rejects a guy because he is too skinny, she just has standards. Why am I not allowed to choose what I am attracted to?

3344

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 33

• Men walk a pecuilar line in general.

You are the dominant, stronger sex... fundamentally.

Its assumed that strong things are resilient, so men are assumed as such, regardless of the situation.

We do a weird social thing where we try to protect male dignity by non chalantly brushing off situations that render men "weak."

Probably remnants from tribal ideas in which male strength reflected a powerful society.

• Men are not physically dominant since invention of the weapon.

• @Wowgirl10q

Wow girl is on some weird anti-feminist ego trip.

Lol people are so thirsty for self validation. LOOK AT ME, I HATE FEMINISTS, IM AWESOME AND LOVE HIGH HEELS!

Duh.

So do all normal women.

• Validation for what?

• Hmm, I honestly don't hold any of the above opinions. I THINK it is absolute bullshit to believe that women have the right to hit men, or to abuse them, or to rape them, and get away with it because they are women. Unfortunately, sir, I feel like a few bad men among you have given the whole a bad reputation. and you know one thing our society is good at? Generalizing/stereotyping. Because society is often exposed to the poor helpless female victim, and the brutish strong male perpetrator, it is often assumed that this is always the case. I don't think this way. in fact, I would 100% respect my man, allow him his freedom, preferences, respect, etc. I would not expect all the chivalry or the emotional suppression. in fact, I am strongly attracted to men who show emotion. I find men who cry sexy as hell, whereas men who keep up a stone-faced demeanor often come off as indifferent and uninteresting to me. Again, this may be a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't. Society tells you to suppress emotion, to not be a "pussy," which I actually see as a strange term to use as an "insult" considering the fact that 20 or more humans can pop out of one. anyways, getting back to topic: who gives a fuck what most of the world thinks? Find someone whose views match with yours.

Last thing: You may think that women can have standards, and men can't, but here's the thing, most men I meet or see their comments just have really high expectations when they really shouldn't. I mean, a lot of them mock women's bodies and appearances and forget about the fact that behind the skin there is a human being with feelings who begins to feel worthless and sees their life as a trivial matter. I honestly don't know if there is a single man on this planet who actually accepts a woman who is a bit overweight (let's say 15 pounds). perhaps the last bit about standards is understandable considering that a lot of men expect a lot. now, I am doing the best I can to lose weight, because I feel about as desirable as a rat.

People are allowed to have standards, and I don't think a man is obligated to love a woman he is not physically attracted to, but I feel like too many people are quick to completely dehumanize overweight people. I guess i'll have to crash diet again, since the "healthy" method clearly isn't working. losing 1 pound per week is not fast enough for me. bye bye thick, long shiny hair. i'll have to pick you off my floor.

• Hahah. I love your input and agree with what you said :)

But yes, the dehumanizing people with overweight is a bit over the top, but, lately, many are actually glorifying obesity!! maybe glorify is a too strong word to use, but simply are praising it.
      Being overweight, however you want to turn this, is not healthy. If a woman has a few pounds, then hey no biggy, call it genetics if you will. But obesity? come now.

I would admire her being (body posi) but at the same time also shouldn`t forget that it WILL cause problems when older.

• They are dumb and im sure your beautiful.

• @Wowgirl10q thnx. I hope at least 1 guy agrees. :)

• You are totally right about all of the above, and I feel that these "Double Standards" are really unfair and I personally know two men who have been raped by women and from what they described from their experiences, it was extremely brutal. I know that not very many people will change their minds about the false claims that women cannot rape a male but, they can and they do and there's nothing more humiliating, painful and disgusting than being being raped and not too many men and boys who are victims feel comfortable with talking about it because of the unfair double standards and the fear that no one will believe them. They deal with the shame and trauma too just like women and girls do, but getting justice for it seems almost impossible because a lot of them don't feel they can come forward because they don't want to be known as the guy who was sexually tortured and sodomized by a woman with an object. But, it happens. So, to all of you men out there, who have been past victims of sexual assault and molestation by a woman, I believe you and I'm sorry.

• I think women will always have something to complain about because it's never enough for them. A lot of women though aren't okay with millennial feminism now, it's just that the loud feminists get the attention because of their stupidity.

• You have very strong and truthful points in this. I totally agree that men are more discriminated behavior-wise to society and I don't think that is fair. Men should be able to cry if they are sad or have preferences when dating. Although, a guy hitting a girl can have a much more powerful impact on her than the girl hitting the guy since, in general, girls are weaker than guys due to the fact that boys get an excessive amount of testosterone during puberty.

• Thank you for understanding. But does that mean that because of that, girls should always get a pass on hitting a guy, or that it`s okay to do so?

• Yes. Obviously a man has more strength than a woman, so the for of the slap would have to be equal. But some men really really can`t compose themselves.

• Well for men like that, they should probably get therapy help or something. But if it isn't like serious then instead of doing anything, just walk away. But if they can't get it together to even walk away then they should probably not get involved in a relationship to begin with until they have full control of their emotions.

• Let's check them one by one.

1) I disagree. I personally never came across someone who said that men can't be raped or sexually harassed. Recently an incident of two girls taking video of a man in men's washroom became viral in our country. This is a literal crime and those girls would get seven years of prison in our country's law and believe me we ALL want those girls to be punished for good. The only time I saw a joke online implying that men can't be raped... Was a post shared by a man.

2) The fact is, it's kinda accepted by society that when a girl hits a guy it's for self-defense and many parents teach their daughters to beat a guy if they try to hit on them. Besides many boyfriends of girls also beat other dudes for petty reasons so you can't entirely blame the girls and the society for this double standard. It's wrong, but not so simple. Also, men are stronger than women so a man's beating can lead to more injuries and all. That makes a man's beating more dangerous.

3) Again, never heard anyone say that. I only heard boys saying 'where was this teacher in my time?'

4) You really exaggerated that one. Yes guys are usually told to be stronger in cases when they are bullied, but no one stops a guy from crying when his pet dies. At most he is expected to not cry as much as a girl would but that's it.

5) Anyone can have preferences. But it's wrong to have unrealistic standards. Especially when men make a fuss about gaining a bit of weight, stretch marks and cellulite, darker skin on private parts... These are nowhere near height preferences. I personally never saw a woman saying she won't date below a certain height, except that they want men taller than them.

Exaggerating these things does you no benefit. Don't do it.

• 2) doesn't matter if men are stronger because if they hit back in self defence public opinion is very quickly out of your favor. You say its not sexism because guys hit guys so girls hit girls. but girls also fight for no reason. The whole idea is that sexisme isn't that simple but the effect doesn't change. its a societal problem.

1 and 3 those people are there but recording is different. If you are raped as a men its even harder to convince someone that happend. If its taped people believe it. but people quickly get sceptical if you try and say you have been raped.

4) yeah you know what the main advice is men get when it gets emotional "man up". Not everybody but crying in public as a man is soooooo looked down upon. while when a girl cries in public people help or wonder what happend instead of thats weird.

5) everybody has standards but if you look on tinder in some place girls put "don't bother if you are below 175cm I've seen this for like 30%. But men have the same standards

• Wow, no what i think is that there needs to be awareness that its happening on both sides. One sides struggle doesn't take away from the other side. Im not saying women are not struggeling. But a bias or double standard effects both sides. And just because you can explain why it is the way it is doesn't make it not an issue or not enough of an issue.

There is nothing to do about is is bullshit thats what people say in the countries where women get beaten on the streets. its just the way it is and there is nothing you can do about it. What you can do is be aware when you have a double standard from both sides and dont accept that. And try and convince others that there is that double standard and they shouldn't accept that either. I might not stop it in a week by myself but i try and do my part for both side. i want female inequality gone but also men inequality.

phfff nothing to do. Its a societal problem and it takes societal awareness to stop it.

• @JohnFrost... did you say that cause you disagree with me? Cause I said the same thing. Bot type of biases need to stop and to make it stop, people first have to learn how it started.

• 1. Unfortunately in some places the rape law is based on penetration only so women can't rape men.
    2. Agree
    3. Most of the people who say that are adult males because the teacher looks good and fail to think about whether the boy wanted it
    4. Agree
    5. My advice to anyone about preferences is to be realistic and don't expect to get what you don't have.

• You would be surprised at how many women respond that way about rape. Hell that's usually part of their justification for it.

• well, we live in a world filled with misogyny and misandry. Just because these things (like boys getting raped by girls) don’t happen as much or not discussed doesn’t mean that it’s invalid. It still happens. It’s still valid and it is and SHOULD be as serious as the problems

• the other problems-

• According to the CDC if you include rape by envelopement/forced to penetrate the numbers normalize men and women rape at roughly the same rate.

• I agree with all your opinions, you have some extremely valid points.

• I like to think most people are not stupid and ignorant enough to think that men can't be rape and that women can't rape. I was surprised when a friend told me so when I was 14, I didn't really think about it before but I got older and began to understand how men's bodies work and it's so ridiculous to me that people think that men can't be raped. poor sex ed system?

• In the USA women legally can not rape men, they get a lesser charge of made to penatrate, which is basically just community service and a small fine

• Yes, fuck all of this noise. All of these are ridiculous concepts and should be rejected by all of us because they are unacceptable.

• Seems like the main disadvantage of being a guy is you live like 6 years less on average!

• I agree with this and I'm glad double standards like this are being discussed, but, I've actually found that the majority of people who believe men can't be raped are other men, not girls. When a guy admits to having been raped, women usually are sympathetic and understanding. However, men are more likely to tell a guy that was raped that he needs to "stop crying about it and being such a pussy" and to "just be happy he got laid." Not saying it's ONLY men that deny men can be raped, some sick women do it too, but from my own observation I've noticed it's mostly other men that criticize male rape victims.

• In my personal experience the men were a lot more sympathetic than the women were, in fact the women were trying to spin it the other way that she was somehow raped

• You have very fair points with all of these. While with your points on rape it's necessary to remember that most rapes are committed by men. But most is not all. And there have been successful prosecutions of female teachers in the UK where they have had sex with male pupils. Your 4th point - we all need hugs sometimes, and I'm sure boys do as well. And I can't help on dating sites I'm afraid!
    I'm not convinced that your points represent sexism, but it's certainly unfair. I want to be treated in the same way as guys, and I think it's reasonable for guys to wish to be treated in the same way as girls.

• I wouldn't think a man was weak if he cried about his animal.

• Double Standards in any form or situation are bull shit.
    I commend you on this mytake

• Some like the one about pedophilia carry no significance because treatment is similar for both genders.

In some like the slapping example sexism is very real tough

• How would say would be the best way for men, in this situation, defend themselves, without them having to result in slapping back, punching, or throwing around. Yes, i`ve seen footage of men literally throwing girls around, which is insane.

• Gender smender lol

• Very interesting My Take

• nice take

• More from Girls
    13

What Guys Said 44

• Just gonna leave this here 😉

• Hahahhaha

• I agree to an extent, but if all males in the 21st century are gonna be taught how to bitch and complain about every small thing, then humanity is heading down a dangerous route. Men have always been the dominant/backbone/driver of society, even in families.

Throughout human civilization, everything was carried about on the backs of men, no matter how much people bitch can cry about it, there will always have to be people who are willing to stay tough and work through shit.

• Why is it when us men give our take, its considered bitching? why can`t it also be considered expressing our feeling?

Sigh, but anyhow

• there is a lot of male resentment in the world today and it's justified. This is what causes most men who do fit these standards to fuck a parade of thots and sustain themselves off meaningless sex instead of true love.

Too bad I'm in touch with my feminine side x. x otherwise this 6'2 ripped as fuck sexy ass male specimen would have a different girl every day of the week lol... and a big hole in my chest where this thing <3 is

• can't rape me, i would be a willing participant... lol. all joking aside, taking sex by force should be considered the same as murder if you ask me, you are taking part of that persons life away and it can never be returned
    convicted rapists and child molestors should be eecuted

• #5 really irks the shit out of me. I've had even family members try to tell me who I should date, when them sorry bastards never do stuff like that to my female relatives. But my female relatives date the biggest jacked-up-truck-driving douchebags and they don't say a word to them.

• So if a guy rapes me I'm lucky? I'm confused...

Also met plenty of girls that assumed I was gay because I rejected them lol. I'm not gay, you're just not attractive to me...

• I think he's more referring to the scenario of a female teacher commuting statutory rape with a male student and getting a slap on the wrist because "He was lucky."

• @ThatPersonOverThere I think my sense of humour has went over your head.

Also, not gonna lie, when you see one of these stories of a 15 year old boy who was banging hot 26 year old teacher. 90% of guys say "where were these teachers when I was in school". Plus anyone with half a brain knows that student teacher relationships like these are pretty common, usually a girl and a male teacher. Difference being girls tend to keep their mouths shut whereas guys brag. Reasons why the stories that come to light are a male student and female teacher.

• That part of the guys bragging about it is true

• Women have life so much better and so much easier. The world coddled them, kisses their ass, puts them up on pedestals, gives them free protection and women also get the better end of many double standards THEN they have the nerve to ask for equality to men. Ladies, you’re already ahead of most men because most men are spineless little pussies who will cater to your every need

• Excellent. And there are many more to add.
    I suggest everyone to watch a documentary called "The Red Pill". You will truly see what a disasterous society we (men) live in.

• 6... The automatic assumption that male = sex predator / pervert / pedo / rapist in waiting. Men do have , on average , far higher sex drives than women , any fool knows that , however the vast majority of men also possess matching self control. Some sexist experiences as a single parent have pissed me off. To be fair , anti male " media " and feminist / #MeToo propaganda have played a major role in this social conditioning.

• Whow there is a difference in admitting struggle on both sides and dismissing one struggle. There are some that are anti male and those people are dumb. And there also anti female those are dumb too. But that doesn't mean we had a societal issue of sexual rape and harassment in the western world. If you look at movies from the 90 that show how buys should try and date. thats horrible if you have that as a acceptible model. Make girls drunk or try and trick them into sleeping with you. That was a normal "funny" thing that the media showed. Are you saying that is normal or it didn't happen?

• Double standards everyone knows but few are willing to admit. I could add more to this, like male suicide rates and homelessness. But those are pretty well known too.

• Some truth to this; a lot of unnecessary nonsense too. The rape stuff is irrelevant and was included by you in order to get attention; number 5 is the best point you made. So I'd give you a.300 batting average or so.

• The 5th isn't as bad as the rest. why would the rape thing be irrelevant? A double standard effects both sides of the standard

• @JohnFrost It's irrelevant because it's overplaying something that is incredibly rare in an attempt to say like "BOTH SIDES DEAL WITH XYZ SO DON'T EVEN MENTION IT" except that's basically a false equivalency since it's a simple fact that, no, males do not deal with the situation in even close to the same numbers. Of course it happens, and their cases matter, but not in the sense that the sexes deal with it equally. No, they don't.

• Well if you include prison rape in those numbers they do become about the same amount

• I disagree with 4. I think if my sog died, people that I know would be sad about regardless of gender. The other points ring through though.

• "But, if a girl’s horse just died, then there will be 30+ guys standing in line waiting to cheer her up."

Of course! They're not being cockblocked by the horse anymore!

• Why did you only write down five? I can think of an additional 20 right at the top of my head.

• Whilst people are different, look different, are a different gender, race, religion etc there will ALWAYS be inequality to varying degrees, some we overlook and pay no attention, and some (like your points above) are very interesting. we cry foul on topics like female genital mutilation, but what is male circumcision? However, like the previous point I raised, is the problem in general, you have to challenge established structures that TELL YOU this is NORMAL, when it is anything but. Well put together point though, nice thought provoking post :)

• Knew there would be a few women who'd trot the same old lies out... but good for the honest ones.

• I absolutely agree on all of these points. They're also conveniently swept under the rug when women discuss the supposed equality feminism fights for.

• Really interesting, thanks for surfacing. Some good illustrations. I don't feel male sexism is deliberately engineered; it's a by product of unconscious biases.

• These are indeed quite common
    Its funny even with number 2 if a girl slaps a guy and he slaps her back he will be considered in the wrong still and her not
    Not that I advocate slapping people at all people shouldn't go around doing things like that but if you do you should not complain if it returned
    1 and 3 are kinda related... guess it is just this general idea that men just want sex all the time and will have sex with anything with a pulse... which kinda plays into number 5 as well
    And 4... That one is bad so very bad

• Yep. Those are unfortunately real world issues. I am looking forward to banish these problems myself. Thumbs up for you! Great take!

• #6 we are expected to make the first move or pay for a date. Equality is a big thing and women have the option to make the first move and share the bill. But in many cases men are not seen as manly if they dont offer to pay everything. Specially the first move "im not attracted to men if they dont make the first move". Is one i women often say

#7 Some jobs Male nurses/nanny are looked down upon. Did you fail med school or are you more feminine. This also counts for house fathers.

Bonus one guys that get in a relationship where they are not enough in charge are whipped. Never heared of a gril bieng whipped. maybe in extreme situations.

• More from Guys
    24