Why Your Ethnic Identity And Heritage Matters And Why You Should Care

Introduction:

I'm writing this MyTake to share my thoughts on why I think it is very important to preserve identity and heritage which seems to be kinda lost around the world by many ethnic groups mainly pushed by the elites to water down ethnic pride and unity so they can divide and conquer.

The Importance Of Your Identity.

Your identify is what defines you racialy and what part of people you belong too, without it you will feel lost, awkward and disconnected socially from your ethnic group.

Once an ethnic groups starts to be inclusive and interracially marrying and having kids with people that are not part of their ethnic group and that doesn't physically look like them at all nor anyone in their family they produce kids that will not belong to neither ethnic side fully, thus causing their children to feel in the middle or like they don't really belong to either side which often makes them feel rejected and confused as a result.

Secondly, ethnic traditions will be lost and not appreciated by people that aren't part of your ethnic background, nor share your language.

For example: Me marrying a Chinese or Korean woman most likely won't fit well with my family nor her family since we don't look physically alike and won't have a traditional link connecting us together at all.

My family loves and listens to Hispanic music and they won't want to go to a Chinese party to sit and eat Chinese food while listening to lame Chinese music... 😏 lol

A person of a different background won't hold Hispanic traditions of the like of the celebration of the quinceanera in which a girl is celebrated on this special birthday transitioning from a girl to a young lady. I fully believe to create strong families and communities one must stick with their own kind. People that aren't part of your ethnic background can't fully relate to you nor your family. In the end all it creates is division.

Conclusion:

If you don't care about your ethnic identity, culture and heritage you will lose your sense of pride, love for yourself and your own people and most likely will admire other ethnic groups of people that don't give a damn about your own group of people.

I'm 100% against racism, but never compromise your own ethnic background, identity, pride nor heritage for the sake of being inclusive because in the end you end up washed up with no real pride and self identity of your heritage and self love.

To all my gorgeous Hispanic women, Hispanic- Cool-Guy loves you to death. ❤❤❤

#IWillNeverPutAnyoneAboveYou

2036

Most Helpful Girls

• I really thought you're gonna put valuable points in this Take with which I'd most likely agree, because I'm for keeping traditions alive (not all of them), but your whole take screams racism. And even if you're claiming you aren't racist that take speaks against your word.
    Having biracial kids doesn't mean they'll feel lost in the world and it certainly doesn't mean they will not keep the traditions alive. Example is one of my mullato friends. His father comes from Nigeria, his mother - from Bulgaria. He's keeping very well with the Bulgarion traditions and even wants to continue them when he creates a family. In my school there were lots of mixed race people and none of them seemed lost, because of their ethnicity. With what you're saying you're basically implying that they actually have no ethnicity. Try once again with this myTake.

• "In the end all it creates is division."
    HAHAHAHA, oh the irony. You're trying to divide people want to be together purely because of their race. THAT'S division at its very finest.
    .
    My boyfriend is a halfie (Asian mother, white father) and he has no such feelings of exclusion or lack of identity. This is a stereotype, that as soon as you join another culture, the product of it will have neither of these cultures. Just a stereotype. Happens to few, not to all. I think when that happens it's more like the lack of equal parenting, lmao.
    .
    While we're at it, a person can lose their culture/identity by simply being born and raised in a country different from their parents'. Should moving to to other countries be forbidden too? Ridiculous. You do you. Others will raise their children fine, with one culture or both. There are children who learn both languages and adopt customs, your failure to see that or experience that is your problem.
    .
    "I dont like racism" - Proceeds to imply there shouldn't be children with two races (biracial).

• "My family loves and listens to Hispanic music and they won't want to go to a Chinese party to sit and eat Chinese food while listening to lame Chinese music... lol" - Oh yeeeeesss, yes, please proceed to tell us you're not racist at all.

Most Helpful Guys

• Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t pride and vanity around the worst sins in Christianity? Their take sounds an awful lot like a promotion of pride and vanity

• Pride and vanity in one's self as in boasting is wrong, but not in one's ethnic or heritage otherwise when you read the Bible when it talks about the ancient Hebrews, their tribes and their country its always in a proud and uplifting manner.

There's nothing sinful about loving your own kind and be proud of your country or heritage.

• ^ @hispacic_Cool_Guy

• Oh I just realised hispanic user is the Asker😂

• I'm in individualist so I judge people purely by their own actions and my own ethnic background has absolutely no bearing on me.

I like you man but this whole argument you are putting forth just reeks of tribalism and collectivism.

• Tribalism is important man. You want to lose your ethnic pride and identity?

• How is tribalism important? I took no part in what happened in Europe, where's the pride or identity in that?

I have pride in my actions, not my DNA.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 18

• Just because I like my culture, doesn't mean I can't marry someone who has different culture or looks different than me

• I don't believe ethnic group should be the basis for how you define yourself.
    Then again, I'm white, so my culture automatically don't matter according to some. Maybe that's part of the reason why I reject the concept.

• I don't really see in what it matter if you like another culture and they don't care about you... Why does it matter? By this thinking you can only like culture that like your culture back, that's very narrow minded.

• Aww @ your shoutout to Hispanic women.. Hispanic women love you back!

Great read!

• While I love and embrace my culture and heritage a lot, I don't necessarily believe that it doesn't mean I can't marry a foreigner. It would rather be cool in a way that not only the marriage connects two families but also two cultures.

• Uh, I'm biracial, it does make me feel kinda alone in the world, but that's because I never met my dad. I'm half Burmese, half white, and my boyfriend, of 1 year, is half Japanese, and half Taiwanese. We're head over heels, and our cultural differences don't really matter. It's emotions, and interests, that define how things will work out.

• Being biracial is hella fun, best of both worlds amirght?😁

• I'm biracial, most of my ancestors were cromagnon, a few were neanderthals. Australian aborigines and New Zealand Maoris are biracial too, mostly cromagnon with a bit of floresian. I can't live like my ancestors, they hunted wooly mammoths and used their tusks as frames for their houses.

• @Arborialhedgehog its not practical nor is it expected of your to live as your ancestors have, you may not even be able to embrace the cultures at all. From my experience, without having to dig deep into history books, I learn and embrace my cultures from my parents and grandparents. Culture isn't always tangible either, values can be learned as well.

• I can see what you mean about biracial children not feeling entirely accepted because they don't fit in any one ethnic group. However, in this day and age, shouldn't people just love who they want to and have whatever kids they want without any sort of judgements? This is a very detailed opinion, but I don't like how the your opinion appears to be leaning to a "stick with your own kind" type of mood. I really don't care about my race or anyone elses! I find traditions and cultures all over the world fascinating, and it seems so boring just to limit yourself to one kind of living as a result of something you can't control, who you were born as.

• They're outright-able to say stick to your own kind because they're actually racist. What non-racist person says "lame Chinese music lol" or tries to stop existence of a child of two races? It doesn't mix. Saying they're not racist means nothing😂

• I agree, they're "against racism", yet they completely low-key contradict themselves.

• Good mytake. I sometimes think whether or not I should mostly stick with or identify myself as antiguan or Jamaican from my dad's side of family or black American from my mom.

• Can you explain how watering down ethnic pride will make division easier?

• I don't care about my ethnic identity and I love myself very much.
    :)
    Interesting take though.

• I'm not racist, buuuuuut...

• Nice take

• Nice mytake

• Cool! Honestly I don’t care for anything.

• Negative

• because it's who you are...

• I agree. It's why I won't marry outside of the white race and why I had an abortion after sleeping with a black man.

What Guys Said 34

• Well said. Staying with your own ethnic background is definitely important for a strong sense of identity.

• Sorry but i will always place myself and my happiness above my narrow minded relatives. In other words, id rather be happy with whom im with than being miserable just for the sake of acting all ethnic and pride and shit.

• Well said. I love my culture and heritage, but the proud people who wanna stereotype or reject other cultures due to their own really bothers me. Like let me love my culture but still be able to choose a man, a friend, hell even a species despite their race😂

• A very American view on ethnicity, but it’s understandable why you guys feel it’s important to have some kind of cultural identity and the hyphenated monikers.

• I kinda agree, but this take seems more like "Push away the outsiders and keep it in the fam." 'cause if the only reason you feel pride is that you are [insert race/belief] is a slippery slope on how to see things. Starting with romance, just because you don't have the same traditions doesn't mean you'll have no connection to that at all. That's like the other liking rock and you like rap. There's more to the relationship/life than just tradition.

As for this part, I will quote. "A person of a different background won't hold Hispanic traditions of the like of the celebration of the quinceanera in which a girl is celebrated on this special birthday transitioning from a girl to a young lady. I fully believe to create strong families and communities one must stick with their own kind. People that aren't part of your ethnic background can't fully relate to you nor your family. In the end, all it creates is division."

I partly agree, but the other party must be willing to participate in learning about the Quinceañera. Pushing others away will only strengthen division because you won't try to help them understand. you can't have a strong community if you don't bother trying to understand those that are different than you. Sticking with your own kind will only bring Alienation to everyone. One wrong misunderstanding and you'll have a bad atmosphere on your hands.

• Ehhhh... I honestly don't want to practice certain traditions because I just don't want to. I mean I'm more of an individualistic thinker.

I do have some pride, not too prideful. I also have self love and I care about my family.

I also am supportive of interracial marriage. I mean if two people of different race love each other, go ahead.

• I agree that preserving it matters greatly, but I also think you can still do it when you marry interacially. Unfortunately, it is often the case in such marriages that one partner's heritage is downplayed. Nonetheless, with effort and discipline, it's still possible.

• 0|2
  • I love my identity my heritage. After all I am 100% American my ethnic tree is the rest of the world you can claim one branch I claim the whole tree. I celebrate Chinese New Year as well as Cinco de Mayo. My history is the history of the world

• Great take l am from scotland and so proud of scotland

• My ancestors used to wank a pig off, collect the seamen in a mrter, put wkde flowers in, grind them up with a petal to produce torwuoise body paint, get naked, smear it all over the self's then go into battle naked, no wonder the Romans conquered us. My point is, some traditions are a bit silly.

• There are many unique cultures throughout the world.

It would be a pretty boring one if they all vanished or if they were all absorbed to create only a few, right?

I say preserve your identity, songs, books, languages - these are all key.

• Love of Ethnicity = tribalism = collectivism. No thanks. I judge individuals, not groups.

• well as an indo european we are somehow similar with western white people with little difference and different culture , im ok being with someone with different culture as far as they have the same religion.

• I married a girl raised in another language than mine.
    It made no difference. We're both multilingual

• What defines myself derives much from Greek philosophy and from Caribbean piracy. I don't even WANT to be like the people among whom I grew up. ''My'' history, culture, rituals, language, etc. had been imprinted on me without my own consent. Thus, I have a right to shake it off. If there are people who are happy to ''belong'' to a certain tribe, I am ok with it; it's their own decision (is it?). Certainly, I cannot choose all facts, like i. e. skin colour/complexion, family (genetic) lineage. But: I'd rather be proud and self confident about my own personal achievements or potential than picking up the crumbs that were left behind by others.

• .

I 100% respect people on both sides.. People that decide to marry within their own culture because that's what they are the most familiar with and keeping traditions.. vs interracial marriage. There's a lot of reasons why people decide to go interracial. Like being around a diverse group of cultures/friends and being open minded to dating outside your ethnic background as a result.. And/or they could have had a bad upbringing that may be related to their culture and not want to do anything. Who knows.

I don't think there is a right answer for this, and is down to personal preference.. we are human beings after all, and we could be a part of any culture we want without something superficial as skin color being in the way (which is different from ethnicity anyway). I do believe that parents could instill their own culture to their biracial child as well, and they could hope for the best if their kids appreciate their parent's history

• This is what I hate about the world. I'm white and have no real "ethnic" culture besides being a bunch of conservative, religious, nation loving gun worshipers. I hate all those things, I hate those things. I hate religion, im not conservative at all, I don't have pride for me nation that doesn't have pride for it's citizens, im not a fan of gun culture, it's retarded.

No one has any obligation to anything. We are individuals that cannot be placed in a bubble. Black culture is heavily based on their racial identity, and I've always said that's a bad thing. Too much focus on skin color and national identify, no individual identity.

We should be free and are free too find our own group, to make our own group and to leave whenever we want. We can float between 2 or 3 different groups.

I don't give a fuck about my "heritage". I'm not defined by it, neither should anyone. We should define ourselves.

• This doesn't mean i necessarily hate culture, I love learning about different cultures. Some are better than others, some after old and some are new. I like Mexican culture for itd emphasis on family. I like Nordic culture for its rich mythological background and the way they fight for freedom and equality.

• Also, most white people don't have a strong culture that today, influences their everyday life. If there is, please correct me.

• If fact, there is, but it's something you don't notice because the influence is so deep that it's basically common. Some things as the language you're speaking, your behavior, the days you celebrate, or simple passing next to a cathedral and not being surprised by it. Our culture influenced everything around us, to the point we consider it as common. Yet, for a foreigner, especially from another cultural group, it will look exotic and unusual.
      It's just that in the last 3 decades, we were told that we had no culture, that we should be open to the world, and that our culture is racist, exclusive, and we should not feel proud of it in any way. That's why expressing it today is more and more rare.
      When I hear my president saying that "there is no french culture, but a francophone culture", meaning that basically any culture imported here is french (mostly Africans, of course), I understand how bad it is.

• I have no culture or racial identity. I don't feel lost and I am proud of who I am. That being said, many traditions do have importance. I really like quinceanera tradition because so many non culture identity people like me just let their kids be kids forever, its good to give them a way to transition into adult hood. So while I would be open to having a family with someone of another race or culture, I would look at what else comes along with them in terms of their traditions and such as part of the picture and decide if I was going to become involved in that or not.

• So you're telling that you are gonna marry someone based on their race, everything else about is meaningless, right?

• Yep. I stick to my own only.

• good for you, but whoever is destined for me regardless of race is for me. If I need approval from other people, then I'd rather stay single for life or commit suicide.

• More from Guys
    14