Dear Santa, I love Christmas, but let's celebrate Thanksgiving first!

This is a Mytake about a somewhat controversial topic, The "Christmas Creep". Now you're probably thinking who is the Christmas Creep? Well, The Christmas Creep isn't a person. Wikipedia defines the term Christmas Creep as "a merchandising phenomenon in which merchants and retailers introduce Christmas-themed merchandise or decorations before the traditional start of the holiday shopping season, which in the United States is on the day after Thanksgiving". Therefore a lot of retailers and advertisers have totally skipped the Thanksgiving sales and went straight into the holiday rush.

When I was a little boy Christmas decorating and commercials started on Thanksgiving Day or the wee beforehand. Nowadays most "Adult Contemporary" stations go to Christmas music at 12:01 AM on November 1st. "There's no other programming tactic in radio history that consistently delivers ratings increases better than Christmas music. Playing Christmas music is all about having a larger audience after Christmas than you did before. People who find the station often stick around after the holidays and discover a new favorite station."-Darren Davis, Senior V.P., Clear Channel. While I can understand the eagerness to get into the Christmas spirit It would be better to try to build up to Thanksgiving first then go into Christmas music maybe the week of Thanksgiving.

Retailers depend on the Holiday Season. It's their make or break time of the year. The day after Thanksgiving commonly known as "Black Friday" because retailers hope to be in the black or make profits. Well, nowadays Black Friday has turned into "Black Thursday". Which means that the big rush now starts on Thanksgiving Evening if not Thanksgiving Morning. Fortunately, a lot of retailers are closed on Thanksgiving. However, stores like Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Kmart, JCPenney, and others still open on Thanksgiving. Ok, I can see Walmart or a Supermarket being open for cooking items. But, let everyone enjoy their family.

I consider Thanksgiving as part of the Holiday Season along with Christmas, Kwanazza, Haunnakah, and New Years. Sadly even Veterans Day is being overshadowed by the Christmas rush. I think we can enjoy the magic of Christmas and Thanksgiving together and they can coexist. But, let's focus more on Thanksgiving for at least the first couple weeks of November. Then the week of Thanksgiving we can start to mix Christmas into it. Most people usually put up their decorations Thanksgiving week so that would be a good chance to do Thanksgiving, then transition to Christmas as well. So, let's finish Turkey and Stuffing first, then we can worry about Santa Claus, Christmas Trees, Manger scenes, and wreaths.

#Thanksgivingfirst

#ChristmasCreep

815
smahala1991 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• hell yes. already I was seeing Christmas stuff in October. barely any Halloween or Thanksgiving. places are already playing Christmas music. I don't mind Christmas of course, but come on i'd like to have a little time to spend with the other holidays first lol

Most Helpful Guys

• Walmart had Christmas stuff up in the middle of October...

And most stores that usually had decorations for Halloween in the past didn't this year. Halloween was systematically hidden this year. Which sucks, cause the Halloween spirit wasn't here this year, and I love the atmosphere of Halloween.

• Go join some groups on facebook, mainly anything diy on a budget related, and notice the amount of here's our Christmas tree and decorations, what do you think posts. Then dare to say its not even December.
    Do it. I dare you. All sorts of shit will hit the fan.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 7

• I agree with you. Each Holliday should have its own time yes even Valentine's day.
    I did see Halloween decorations but they were very limited AND they were displayed with Christmas items which is absurd.
    The Hallmark channel starts the Christmas in July thing.
    Christmas has gotten so commercialized that's it's sad.

• the rush to buy buy buy is so annoying. people actually leave on a day of thankfulness to go buy more garbage (guess they didn't have enough to be thankful for)

i'm not even mad at the people so much as the greedy companies. this is not a good trend in my opinion, I hope the stores make the big sales at the very least the first of December or something.

the Christmas tree at wal mart went up a week before Halloween, go to hell wal mart >:c give me more spooky!

• I'm Christian and I love Christmas, but this is getting out of control. In my country the Advent (as the word itsels says) was the official start of Christmas spirit and celebration and now, all is worn out befor Advent start since all is in stores after November 1st.

• I starting to think of not celebrating Thanksgiving anymore. Just my saviors birthday and black Friday

• Christmas is every day for me 😈

• Okay

• I don’t celebrate Thanksgiving

What Guys Said 13

• I don't know if its the Christmas creep or not but I try to keep Christmas out of my mind till as close to day as possible - If you get hyped on Nov 1st, you will be burned out by Dec 25th - Right I do the have tos say gifts but I don't allow my Christmas mood till Dec 24th

• Well we had Thanksgiving a month ago here lol. But people typically don’t go full on Christmas till after nov 11th which we call Remembrance Day.

It doesn’t bother me that stores etc jump into it. I just wish people wouldn’t get sucked in. The Christmas shopping season and the Christmas season are different things and it’s on us, not the retail world, to know the difference.

• Well we don't have Thanksgiving or not even really Halloween though that is slowly becoming a thing
    So not much to prevent Christmas creep as you call it
    We have Mortensaften but that is a very very minor thing which mostly just means you eat duck one even and even that is incorrect it ought to be goose
    So yes the stores are already peddling Christmas things

• Not everyone celebrates thanks giving.
    In fact it's mainly an American holiday.
    Most of Europe and the east doesn't celebrate it at all.

You could say that with Christmas but there are more who celebrate Christmas than don't.
    With thanks giving it's the opposite, more who don't celebrate it than do.

• I have already seen Christmas trees up in the malls. Christmas has been hijacked by the large shops. All it is, is another to separate you from your money. In my tradition, the tree goes up Dec 24. It goes down Jan 6.

• Season creep is alive and well. Whether shopping for back-to-school at the Fourth of July, or Christmas before Halloween (at Menards), all the marketing has one wondering what month it is.

• Explained it very well. I can't stand this personally. It's like people don't even realize the greatest day in the whole year exists. Stuffyourfacewithfood Day.

• We’re not forgetting Thanksgiving! We love being jolly for more than 25 days.

• The day after Halloween the Christmas decorations are up here it makes me feel sick in my stomach

• Screw that! My decorations went up on November 1 and I am rocking out to TSO already.

• Amen brother.

• Good take. I agree 100%.

• Yeah, it's nuts