Why Can't You Just Admit You're Wrong

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/the-squeaky-wheel/201811/why-some-people-can-never-admit-they-re-wrong?fbclid=IwAR16cuMsYGNoqwzeDfEvVBtEobQzsUtGf1VuW7xYxjJGli2dJBhq7pvtroc

yeah I went there
yeah I went there

So I came upon this article at 3:00am from insomnia and a lot on my mind. And this article reminded me of the people I came across with and worked with who just can't admit they are wrong, and will lie about it.

Article states:

"The first two examples are probably familiar to most of us, because those are typical responses to being wrong. We accept responsibility fully or partially (sometimes, very, very partially), but we don’t push back against the actual facts"

Why are we afraid to push back and question? Maybe because we take it at face value.

Article continues:

The answer is related to their ego, their very sense-of-self. Some people have such a fragile ego, such brittle self-esteem, such a weak "psychological constitution," that admitting they made a mistake or that they were wrong is fundamentally too threatening for their egos to tolerate.

ME? WRONG.. IM NEVER WRONG!
ME? WRONG.. IM NEVER WRONG!

This also goes as well to the people we get into discussions with. You present the facts, but they choose not to listen to them, or to understand them.

"When confronted, they will continue to insist or pivot to attacking anyone who tries to argue otherwise and to disparaging the sources of the contradictory information"

lalalala Im not listening
lalalala Im not listening

People have fragile egos, and if you question them.. Well. they get defensive as the article states..

"People who repeatedly exhibit this kind of behavior are, by definition, psychologically fragile"

Just admit your wrong..Plain and simple.

618
legalboxers is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girls

• Easy. Because people don’t want to be accountable for their mistakes and decisions

• people should accept the fact they're wrong, i do it and so should others but that's sadly not how the world works.

Most Helpful Guy

• I have been wrong so many times in my life and admitting to being wrong literally makes me feel like nothing happened. Its really a no big deal.

I was wrong, now good for me.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 4

• People can't admit that they're not infallible. They have too much pride and are afraid that admitting being wrong means they're weak. Ageism also plays a role when anyone under 18 states their opinion to anyone over 18 and are told off as being too young to understand or stupid.

• I've always had trouble understanding this. I'm totally ok with being wrong. It happens to everyone. You only make yourself look stupid if you constantly deny being wrong.

• Because people are stupid

• I can. Simple.

What Guys Said 17

• Ahh... The gifts of Moral Relativism...

Most people are apparently unaware of this, but in the late 40s and early 50s, the Soviet Union was analyzing every possible way of disrupting western society - the US in particular, and their focus wasn't just on the military, which was ruinously expensive, but also via subversion. In fact, a number of high-ranking Soviet intelligence officials who defected have all noted that the KGB only spent 15% of its budget on spying - the other 85% was focused on subversion - where they felt they could make the greatest impact (disruption) on western society.

They would have agents get involved with left-leaning groups and influence them as much as possible to push for societal changes that would ultimately be disruptive in a negative way.

Radical Feminists are just one of dozens of groups (that include radical environmentalists, Green Peace, labor unions, and others) that fell under their influence and many still are today.

One of the universal goals of this effort was to instill a culture of moral relativism - the idea that nothing is really right or wrong, where no one ever accepts the responsibility for their own decisions and actions, but rather pushes that responsibility to others. It was well understood how that could damage the fabric of society and undermine it at every level, especially if multiple generations could be affected.

Well, here we are. Close to half of the population of the US is unwilling to take responsibility for themselves in one way or another, and that number has been growing. Fortunately, the growth has slowed as more people (many young people especially) have seen through the lies. But that is being addressed too, with the indoctrination of kids in grade school (rather than waiting until college) and by pushing for illegal immigration (importing largely under educated people who are more dependent and more easily manipulated).

If you want to live in a world where you are likely to be safe, and where everything you work hard for isn't going to be stolen from you (often legally) to pay for the lack of other people's personal responsibility, then you should pay attention.

• I'm not even surprised about this. I totally agree on the illegal immigration thing too. Of course they want millions of more poor people that will vote in social welfare programs, kicking our debt to some future generation. They care about a sustainable planet but have little interest in sustainable finances.

• @englisc Obviously it wasn't JUST the KGB - there are plenty of people who are kind of that way naturally, and many of them were naturally attracted to others who felt the same way. But the KGB certainly stoked the flames and directed the organization and the direction of a lot of the groups that ultimately influence our society and many of our laws and practices in that direction. I wasn't trying to minimize the actions of those groups, but a lot of people aren't aware that the Soviets were playing a bigger game and had a lot of influence over most of those groups with an over-arcing agenda to disrupt western society.

I'm sure many would dismiss that as a conspiracy theory, but it's actually a well-documented conspiracy fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujQ85EbTxtI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3qkf3bajd4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKI1hv7GTfk

• It's also know today that there are buildings full of Russians paid to create a divide by promoting the extreme sides of political views. They'll be on one website saying that cops are racists black men beaters, promoting Collin K while others will be promoting the opposite side.

• Horrible take.

"Just admit your wrong.. Plain and simple."

Just ending it with that... it's like you think it's so easy to do for people... This is literally one of the hardest things for tons of people to do. Admitting mistakes, opening up from their shell,

Humility is a hard thing to gain.

• I remember reading in 'Reader's Digest' when I was a kid. The main difference in a Liberal and a Conservative is whether you blame others for problems or accept problems and fix them... even if it was your own fault or not.

Gets the noggin joggin.

• It's linked to narcissistic personality disorder. It's because of their over inflated sense of self worth that cannot accept any criticism. In 1960 3% of college students said they were special, today that number has risen to 45%. Are you special is one of the first questions on a N. P. D. exam.

• Why can't you just PROVE me wrong?

If I'm so wrong, it should be very easy to prove! What's your excuse? I'm wrong, but you're not smart enough to prove it? Sure, buddy.

• way to prove his point

• What he was trying to tell you was that you can't "prove" somebody wrong if they refuse to acknowledge facts or ever admit to being mistaken.

Example: He tells you that Trump said something stupid and bigoted. You say he's lying and to prove it. He shows you the article about it. You say it's fake news and proves nothing. He then shows you a video of him doing exactly what he told you. You claim the video was doctored and it proves nothing.

Point is that if someone is going to be willfully (or accidentally) ignorant, then you can prove your point all you want and they'll just keep denying you proved anything.

And usually, the first sign that you're dealing with somebody who is stupid and/or dishonest is the aggression they should when addressed.

• @JustWorthlessMe good point. You are also describing the politicians in my country.

• Easy! It's because people have their opinions and don't like having them disproven. And when pride gets in the way of things its makes you ignorant and delusional, maybe even a bit arrogant.

• trump can't admit he's wrong because he's a criminal and a blow hard cuck

he's GOING TO JAIL

• What? Even if he did collude it's not something that'll put him in jail. It's because people like you are either trolls or misinformed. He may get impeached but he'll never get removed from office and his chances of being impeached are low as well. The best you can do is vote against him in 2020 like we've done in this republic since it's founding. In fact, if the Democrats impeach him, it'll be political suicide so I highly doubt they will.

• Because we live in a world full of "my way or the highway" logic and zero accountability

• "Just admit your wrong.. Plain and simple."

It's you're. I believe you're wrong on that.

• I need to show this to my ex wife.

• I always admit my mistakes and when I'm wrong guess it's how I was raised

• I what? I am certainly not wrong! You're wrong!

• Trump? When was he wrong?

• Because I cannot tell a lie

• Egos are huge.

• Well you're wrong! 😛

• You seem more unstable than trump