People aren't born to hate, hate is learned, hate is taught.

As a follow up to my question about hate..

You've got to be taught
To hate and fear,
You've got to be taught
From year to year,
It's got to be drummed
In your dear little ear
You've got to be carefully taught.

Wow. a black man and a white man shaking hands..

OM MY GOD! THE HORROR!!

You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
And people whose skin is a diff'rent shade,
You've got to be carefully taught.
You've got to be taught before it's too late,
Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate,
You've got to be carefully taught!

8
10

Join the discussion

Most Helpful Guys

• GoodGuyBreakingBad

Yes i agree hate is taught by parents , i ended a friendship cause
    this Family claimed to be Christians but they are some what racist
    so I'm sorry i don't want be friends with fake Christians and people
    who are racist , you must love all people no matter who they are
    and no matter what race , religion they are etc.

Is this still revelant?
    • nixon1509

Technically what you "hate" is the thing you dislike the most. What you like and dislike is learned from collective experiences. So you are either saying you dislike nothing or no one but you should dislike anything about certain people and that means you think your collective experiences are more valid than someone elses.

• Thanks For Most Helpful Guy :)

• TavionRiley

Yea hate is taught. For I know this all to well. Being a black male. Enduring the pain and struggle of being mistreated because of my skin color even though those people literally knew nothing about me or had a reason to hate me.

Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• jessicarosen

I think hate is a learned, shared, experienced behavior.

Is this still revelant?

78
  • nightdrot

Nope. Exactly the opposite. The "people aren't born to hate" is pure romanticism and ignores human nature, properly understood.

Indeed, science postulates that bigotry is rooted in evolution. To your prehistoric ancestors something that looked different from you was apt to be a dangerous predator and a threat. So instinctively your ancestors learned to hate creatures not like themselves.

This is the starting point. It is only as humans evolved that they began to make higher level connections and to resist their spontaneous instincts. Indeed, it is because it is instinctive and because man is not perfectible that we are not apt to ever completely erase bigotry and hatred.

Rather, we use culture and law to change and reinforce a different and better ethos. As the ancient Greeks going back to Socrates understood, nature is not spontaneous. Rather it is what we have the potential to become. In effect, nature must be nurtured.

Raise a baby wolf to be the best wolf it can be - it will still be a wolf. Raise a human baby to be the best human it can be and it might write sonnets or cure cancer. The baby becomes the boy becomes the man becomes the gentleman - through socialization, education, law and culture.

The starting point is a self-interested animal that reacts on instinct. That as a matter of its survival instinct sees predators and competitors and therefore hates. (We tend only to not hate those who are most like us and who cooperate with us to allow us to survive.) However, from there, the animal is educated and raised to transcend its instincts and become more than the sum of its parts.

Never completely, to be sure. Humans are not perfectible. However, it was only as we learned to transcend our instincts and fulfill our deeper nature - in the ancient's sense of what we have the potential to become - that we began to see those who were different as kindred and worthy of respect in their own right.

It is funny. It was the Enlightenment - the very essence of rationalism and reason - that postulated the idea of man in "the state of nature." The idea that man stripped of nationality, religion, culture, community and all the rest would be a mildly diffidently social being and spontaneously rational.

One has only to see two small children fighting over a toy to know that is silly romanticism. It flatters man by portraying him as basically good. It also makes life easier because it is less demanding. When men no longer need culture and law but are spontaneously good when left free, making law and shaping culture is just not that important. It is absurd on its face - by that reasoning the U. S. could have dispensed with the Civil Rights Act. No doubt Jim Crow would have died on its own.

As Burke pointed out, strip culture and law from man and you reduce him "to his naked shivering nature." Not a pretty sight and we have seen what happens when culture and law are ripped away. See also Russia, 1917. Italy, 1922. Germany, 1933. Spain, 1939. China, 1949. The list goes on.

As the ancient Greeks understood. Virtue is not spontaneous. It must be nurtured. We start as savages and only time and experience and education and society offer the chance to transcend and become more than what we start as being.

Hate is not taught. Rather it is managed and stigmatized only over time, imperfectly among perfect beings. Charles Haddon Spurgeon said that the thing that made man most noble was his capacity to despise himself. Turning that on its head - convincing ourselves how spontaneously good we are - is merely patting ourselves on the back for something we have not earned.

• nightdrot

Type-o:

This sentence: " Rather it is managed and stigmatized only over time, imperfectly among perfect beings."

Should read: " Rather it is managed and stigmatized only over time, imperfectly among IMPERFECT beings."

• Katerina_Belle

Nope fear is innate to humans. In evolutionary terms it’s how living beings respond in potentially harmful situations to survive. For example we fear pain because pain means something isn’t right and in caveman times it usually meant you’re going to do die as no modern practices existed then and these receptive responses are passed down through human evolvement.

As for hate I’m not sure but it’s a very daft statement to make as no one, not even scientists, fully understand how humans work.

• I have always thought like most emotions fear and hate are evolutionary. They can come down to fight or flight. Fear is flight and hate makes the fight and killing easier.

As for hating races humans and most other animals fear or hate anything different. Well maybe animals don't hate but hate is just an extension of other emotions.

• I think by fear he meant "phobia" to certain kinds of people

• menina

This is so true! I've heard children making racist comments and calling me names or to other black people.
    Unfortunately some parents teach their children to be racist and xenophobic. Then when they grow up they become white supremacists.

• "People aren't born to hate. Hate is learned. Hate is taught."
    You're absolutely right.
    People are born inherently good.

• nixon1509

You learn to love and what to like, that that does not make it less valid. What we like and dislike is what makes us different hate is nothing more than an extreme dislike. Hate is not wrong, telling people what they can dislike is.

• itsmeamy

I was taught to love everyone untill they screw u over

• who knows how many people still Beleive he can do no wrong trump it's time for a new change what happenend to impeaching him gr8 the Russian stuff he knew about before election

• MajesticTwelve

Don't buy it.
    My parents were incredibly accepting of everyone and everything.
    I've been comparatively opposite since as far back as I can remember.
    The reality is we're all born one way or another. Saying hate is "learned" is just a poor attempt at trying to justify in YOUR mind why the world is the way it is.
    People are programmed to feel comfortable around their own and what's the same, and to hate, or fear, anything different.
    It's the tribe mentality, and It's genetics.
    Welcome to reality.

• TheFlak38

Hate is a natural human emotion. So yes people are born to hate.

• SwordShield

I have to agree, hate is only brought by upbringing.

• namelessyoungold

You know what? I'm egalitarian. I hate everyone the same.

• This was brilliant couldn't agree more <3

• Just watch the musical.

• thetruth1

hate comes from exp

• Xoirwinkan

WW2 Bearcats? Whats the reference?