A feminist remake of 1950s sexist ads

Nadim171

Eli Rezkallah, a 31-year-old artist and photographer from Beirut, Lebanon, recently created a photo series called “In a Parallel Universe.” he recreated 1950s sexist adds from a reversed gender roles point of view. I find them extremely funny.

Enjoy:

A feminist remake of 1950s sexist ads
A feminist remake of 1950s sexist ads
A feminist remake of 1950s sexist ads
A feminist remake of 1950s sexist ads
A feminist remake of 1950s sexist ads
A feminist remake of 1950s sexist ads
A feminist remake of 1950s sexist ads
A feminist remake of 1950s sexist ads
A feminist remake of 1950s sexist ads
A feminist remake of 1950s sexist ads

I wish you loved it

A feminist remake of 1950s sexist ads
23
76
23Girl Opinion
76Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Girls

• lumos
    Very interesting to see the roles reversed. I hope it made people reading this uncomfortable, because this type of sexism *should* be uncomfortable. The feminist remake is not to illustrate how things "should" be (that's not what equality is), it's to illustrate how absolutely insane those old ads were because people would have been outraged if it were men who were put in a submissive and ridiculed position like that. It's merely mirroring the awfulness of the ads, because nobody deserves to be treated like that.
    LikeDisagree 69 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • HereIbe

It's not feminist, it's sissification fetishist. The roles have not been reversed. Instead, a feminized male is used. This allows men to exempt themselves from actually internalizing the intended meaning, since they can say "That's a sissy boy doing that stuff, not a real man."

• NyfikenSyd

I like the idea and concept. But considering those original ads would never be accepted today and any man* seeing them would react to how bad they are the message is a bit too on the nose.

(*Guys who think the original ads are ok are not men in my book)

• Jersey2

Zero fucks

• Justbeyouandbehappy_
    Cool
    LikeDisagree 4 People
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

• abc3643
    I DO love it!
    LikeDisagree 10 People
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

2175
  • ThisDudeHere
    Some of them don't really come off as all that offensive.
    Like, the one about not burning the beer. It doesn't imply anything, it's just a joke about the beer being okay when something else suffered because of cooking. The cook being female isn't that big of a part of the joke.
    The next one about opening things, though silly, makes even less sense in regards to men because men are far more likely to be able to open hard to open things due to the difference in strength.
    The next one about a vacuum cleaner is just targeted marketing. Regardless of gender roles, women use cleaning tools far more than men. Makes perfect sense to market them in a way that gets more women to use them - even if it's the men who get the tool for them.
    Like 3 People
  • Britantic
    Only 2 of these are sexist, the rest are just marketed at women at a time when women generally housewives.
    1. Not sexist.
    2. Sexist
    3. Sexist or just foreplay.
    4. It would be quite upsetting for a newly married housewife to burn dinner considering the amount of planning, time, effort and love she put into it. Her husband joke about not burning the beer would be just the kind warm hearted gesture that would cheer her up.
    5. Men have much greater strength than women and at the time a lot of jars and bottles were tough for women to open so these new fangled devices on jars and bottles would have been appreciated by most women.
    6. In the 1920's- 60s era yeah most housewives would have preferred a Hoover as a Christmas present because it was such a time saver giving her more free time to herself as at the time housework was extremely time consuming and hardwork.
    7. Is kinda funny.
    8. Is not sexist either, anything in this era that could help a housewife get her work done quicker and more easily was greatly appreciated.
    9. Kinda funny.
    Honestly the artist who recreated these was going for shock value but it's all been done before and misses the mark. It's kinda pathetic and a clear case of liberal virtue signalling.
    LikeDisagree 21 People
    • Nadim171

Britantic, please stop lowering your self esteem just because you want to please your Male right wing friends. Think for yourself. It's just an advice.

• Britantic

How about you start treating women as equals rather than little children. It's not 1950 women can think for themselves.

• Nadim171

They can yet you don't want them to.. you said it's not sexist that "women belong in the kitchen"

• menina
    I can why some people are bothered by this. But they also don't understand what's the purpose of these ads. Women were humiliated and this shows how normal sexism was at that time.
    This isn't about making women feel superior and men inferior, this is about showing how wrong those ads were.
    LikeDisagree 11 People
    • menina

*can see why

• Nadim171

Exactly!

• menina

Thank you!

• silvermoon84
    This is why I hate modern feminism. The feminist movement was intended for equality but this is not equality. What it is is subjective men to the same oppressive mentality we went against years ago. That’s bullshit.
    LikeDisagree 24 People
    • *subjecting

• the point of this was to show the contrast and how wrong it is. Noone says we actually need to do ads like this with men in them. But showing what it would look like sure does feel uncomfortable in a good way, so that if we don't like to see men like this, women should not be put that way too.

• On the other hand, men want to get the right to punch women whenever they want and some of them even stopped protecting women when they are in dangerous situations, because "if they want equality, they have it!!!"
      This is exactly the same case, but the roles are reversed. Women want equality so they treat men like the men in the commercials treat women.
      And now, I am not saying men cannot punch women and women can punch men. I am just saying what you say, that we can reach equality in other ways (without legalizing ANY violence), except you said that only feminists want to reach it by oppressing men like they oppressed women before. It is not true, men want to reach equality too, by getting the right to treat women badly in the ways that are so far acceptable for women but not men.

• Ámayas_20
    I really don't understand the need for these to have been made other than some radical feminist wanted to get her man hating on again. People know those ads were bad this is just another example of feminism being sexist and doing something that proves they don't care about real issues or women.
    LikeDisagree 19 People
  • BrittBratt2416
    Wow those ads were nothing but disrespect. I have no problem with a man being the leader or head of the household sense God appointed you to do that, however, that doesn't give you the right to treat me like shit. I think a lot of men let it go to their heads, God said to lead and provide for your family as men not disrespect your wife because your the leader/head or become tyrant.
    Like 5 People
  • MajesticTwelve
    Garbage.
    This is art? I hope she chokes on a ham sandwich.
    LikeDisagree 19 People
    • Nadim171

Why so serious?

• I hate feminism and their ideology. It should be purged from this planet. On top of that, to take something, and recreate it, only change the gender of people involved, then call yourself an artist, is a joke.

• Nadim171

He had actors doing the stuff, edited the pics, brought the same outfits and furniture. It is art regardless. And hating feminism means you want to be a Locked in the kitchen and denied the right to work or even vote

• sawno
    I get it, its trying to reverse it to show the pain women had to go trough and show how redicilous this is.

But there is quite a lot going on here on a lot of different levels.
    At one point its making its intended statement that this is just weird advertising, we get that even if its not reversed. But at another point it also speaks on how men feel about feminism, like they are now forced to submit to female bullies that make them do things they do not wish to do or accept things they do not wish to accept. Forced into a feminine role because they are constantly blamed for being a man.

But in reality this is not depicting feminism at all, because feminism isn't about female superiority as some people may think. Its actually about eliminating strengths of both sexes. So if you really wanted to make feminism posters you'd add a few more posters to this about women suffering in the workplace. And depict both sexes suffering together as robots stripped from their strengths and identity. Because that is what equality is all about for them, the loss of your strengths and character. An attack on the successful in an attempt to make them more equal. But deep down its secretly because they are jealous of someone elses success.

Like 1 Person
  • Kurαȷ
    The originals were funnier, more clever and less sexist than the remakes.
    The artist didn't do anything apart from switching the genders and removing the parts he has clearly deemed non-sexist just so they would fit his agenda better.

The original message was lost, and the new message is either just plain nonsensical or sexist.
    All in all, I would give this artist a 1/10 for cleverness and creativity.
    LikeDisagree 7 People
    • Nadim171

What's the original message anyway? That women are kitchen maids?

• Ally247
    They're good to show how gender roles are ridiculous, but it doesn't promote equality.
    Like 6 People
    • Nadim171

It doesn't, it's a joke. It's to make men realise how bad those gender roles are

• yoshi_wanna_ask
    Normally I have a real problem with this kind of pretentious "Look we finally got them! Those awful monsters!" self-victimising attitude. Especially when the real monsters are the handful of "Harvey Weinstiens" who are still getting away with it and caused problems like these in the first place. But this! This is actually really sobering... and strangely encouraging. As a woman, you get used to companies telling you how ugly/unprepared/guilty you are for not having a certain product it just becomes second nature after a while. But seeing it like this, really makes the awful stand out.

Not only was the guy awesome for helping out with these shoots but it shows just how far things have come and just how MUCH Western society has changed as a whole. I think if these pics were posted with the right article and captions, they could be really encouraging and a wake up call for discrimination towards either that's hanging around today. It's so easy for companies to exploit guilt and insecurity to sell products, unluckily for many today they've no idea of their worth. There will always be lazy, a-holes in advertising but these will make a pretty good yardstick for measuring sexist discrimination in advertising.
    Like 2 People
  • ObscuredBeyond
    You can't use it to end it. The most you can do, is point out the absurdity of the thing. But if you enforce it going the other way, you accomplish nothing except to reinforce what came before, and make it feel validated.

Thus is the beginning of the folly of the zero-sum mindset. A better way to end such ads, is to simply not make any. And most advertisers wouldn't be caught dead making ads this horrible today. So to bring it back with a role reversal? Just more stupidity, but going the other way.

I once pointed out how monumentally uncool the song "Before He Cheats" by Carrie Underwood was, by making a parody called "Serial Bomber" going the other way. Except, nobody was laughing at the role reversal. A man trashing a faithless woman's car? Gasp! Not funny!

And then describing in graphic detail how he planted a car bomb in it to blow her up on top of it all?

And then going on a rampage of bombing any other cheating women he can find, culminating in nuking a motel because of a runaway bride inside? While laughing hysterically amidst escaping via helicopter?

Yeah. Nobody laughed. Which is why I couldn't understand why so many at the time were laughing at Carrie Underwood's song.
    Like 1 Person
  • GuidoThePizzaMaker
    Dont worry darling you didn't burn the beer

That ad is cute! <3 haha How is that ad sexist in any way?

Some of the others I find funny.
    Some are obviously sexist, but that was 1950, things were different. I find it funny when young women get offended for something they werent even alive for.

Ohhhh God! the horror! washing dishes and cooking for your provider! the dread! the despair! lmao
    Like 1 Person
    • Nadim171

Women can be the providers too, and they should be and will be

• Why would any Man want a woman to provide for them?
      Most women want a provider

Not saying they can't, they shouldn't

• Nadim171

They can and they should and gladly that's how it will be in the future, the future is female

• Phoenix98
    I actually like some of the original ones.

Also not all of the original ones are really offensive or even sexist, but rather are just having their jokes misread or are just clear examples of targeted marketing which is no different back then then it is today.
    Like 1 Person
    • Nadim171

Sorry sweetheart, but are you girls for real? You keep commenting on all my questions, just askin ❤❤

• Phoenix98

@PatriciaLove Go away thot.

• Phoenix98

@Nadim171 you can block her, after that she won't be able to comment on any future questions.

• Purple_Summer
    Wow. Never seen any of these. I know women were suppressed but did not realize it was to the point that it was mocked in the media too.
    LikeDisagree 3 People
    • Nadim171

These adds were very popular in the 50s. That was the norm

• Red-Blaze
    I personally preferred if they really change it, not just try to make a copy of it that some look cheaper (its fair as one is a painting yet I think could have looked less like a set

I think this is cute but could have been done better
    Like 3 People
  • WhiteSteve
    My mother was ahead of the curve back in her modeling days in the 1950s lmfao. She was a BOSS😂

A feminist remake of 1950s sexist ads
    LikeDisagree 2 People
  • MsShyasf
    It’s weird how the women in the old adds is serving her husband like she’s a maid/servant.

The gender roles swapped still doesn’t make me happy either because if I were in a relationship with a man I wouldn’t treat him like shit.
    Like 5 People
    • How where women treated like shit? Do you want to do manual labor for fifty hours a week and then give every dime you have to some one else? Because that was the mans role (as well as to physically protect his wife and family even if it costed him his life). Their is a reason women where happier in the fifties then they are now by such a large margin.

• janna_jcb
    It shows how ridiculous it is to put either gender above the other. I think it is a great initiative.
    LikeDisagree 13 People
  • Janncis
    @Nadim171 why you dont put woman in man gender roles, putting one gender above other is not equality, and you now enforce toxic feminity. Why you just switch gender roles you like, but not ones you dont like?
    I mean, whats wrong with you?
    Like 1 Person
    • Nadim171

How am I putting one gender above the other? What makes you think so? Build your accusations on evidence

• You aren't fourteen, and even if you were old enough to drink with friends, who the hell calls you "Nadim"? You're quite a contradiction on multiple levels.

• Janncis

@Nadim171 should i wisit all your takes and give you a list? Or would you look at this take? Sexism is wrong but somehow you have no objection doing it to man.
      Yes in past there wassexism against woman, but it doesn't give you rights to dig up 70year old posters to now attack man. I can give you a lot examples where americans fucked up at past, i dont use themto talk about now.

Also to talk about sexism at past you should know about rest of that period and culture then. About halfof posters are totally ok, if you look at them with a knowlage from that time. Like with a girl and dishes, at that time there was no dishwashing machine, and most of chores was done by woman. So washing fluid could be advertised as that.

• Show More (76)