Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs and a New Philosophy of Governance

Apope16
Maslows Hierarchy of Needs and a New Philosophy of Governance

Abraham Maslow published his famous Hierarchy of Needs concept several decades ago. His thinking was that there were basic needs for survival for all human beings. It is my contention that this must apply to institutional governance. Namely, policy makers should shape decision making based on the hierarchy of needs.

Human Nature

Hobbes saw human nature as brutish and short. Saw power as force and authority.
John Lock believed in Life, Liberty, and Property as freedom.

It is my contention that society doesn't evolve based on any of these concepts. These concepts are merely a reflection of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. This is the natural law of the world. It is the natural law of life.

Homeostasis

In nature there is a concept called homeostasis. The idea is that all parts of a cell must functions properly in or to survive. In other words, there must be a healthy balance of sorts. In early stages of life, species were advanced by homeostasis with other cells or organism to create complete organisms. Over millions of years of evolution the world saw the rise of tiny germy organisms, to colonies of cells, to advanced cells, to new creatures, to complex creatures, to thinking creatures, to homosapiens.

Homeostasis continues to this day. Among human species it is among nation states. In prehistoric times man was a wonderer, then became larger family units, then became herds, then became small colonies.

By Ancient Greece the City was the primary focus of a nation state.

After Greece, the idea of being from a state could be seen in the concept of Rome. In America, we were colonies, then became states, and now we see ourselves as a nation.

Unless government policy focuses on Maslows human needs, it shall be imperfect. The greater share of budget should go to the bottom of the pyramid.

0
7

Most Helpful Guys

• I-am-a-nobody
    Honest, please don't think I'm not picking on you, just because I've strongly disagreed with you for the third day in a row.
    But every time I see this philosophy that

1) We’re just animals that have the behavioral complexity of a rat in a maze
    2) We can use science guided by naturalism alone to guide our way to bliss
    3) Those in authority need to help us reach our goal through governance

I want to puke.

People that overthink these things miss it every time.
    They tend to think, "If we just do x, then the rats,... er people... will do y."

As far as government goes... I don't want a whole lot. As a matter of fact, every time those eggheads decide to do something for my good it just ends up costing me something in terms of freedom or money.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Although I agree with the OP.

There is a responsibility necessary for individuals and a separate responsibility for the government.

This isn't one of them.

• Apope16

I post out of the box ideas with the hope that you guys debate them or talk about them. Thanks for your thoughts.

• @Apope16
      So, you're doing your job.
      I can, to some degree, respect that.

• lolcraft
    Who are you to tell me my needs?

You see this right now because the lockdown. All services are essential to those who produce/manufacture and use. One's need is determined by the person. You can not effectively determine that need from a top down perspective.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Apope16

Its not me. Its natural law. If you are stranded on an island what would you be focusing on first? Likely shelter (housing or ending homelessness) and food (ending starvations) etc. prioritize budgets that way.

• lolcraft

You could pump more money towards those endeavors, but that doesn't make food grow faster or buildings construct themselves.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

05
  • captain_voidwalker
    Love and esteem aren't realy that neccessary, especially esteem that one is absolutely a waste of time. The best way to self actualization is first understanding that you aren't innately worth anything so you have to create your own worth
    • Apope16

Love and esteem could be in society like LGBTQ rights or not being discriminated against based on race. stuff like that.

• Love seldom results in justice, in fact its anathema to it. Justice requires quite a measure of indifference. Take LGBTQ rights, it was love for people god and religion that resulted in much if the discrimination they faced, only once we indefinitely regarded them as just another person did we remove much of that discrimination. Love is not a force for good it is in fact a force that blinds one to evil.

• @captain_voidwalker
      And when the next "AIDS" comes along the LGBTQ crowd will complain that the religious people are indifferent.

• canadiancoloursky
    What happens In war torn countries is the family element is blown apart by child soldiers and orphaned generations... the people can't get past that step simply because of this so it takes decades to start over
  • Juxtapose
    All organizations without exception eventually become corrupt and all governments I know of are completely corrupt and bought.

Replace that pyramid with a guy putting money in a CEO's pocket. That's how government work.
  • sensible27
    There is some believability to Maslow's concepts, seems well regarded and referenced.
  • Well-said.

Share the first opinion in your gender